HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Kovalev bashing has got to stop

Old
01-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Magic33

vCash: 500
With Kovalev, you either get Great Kovalev or Terrible Kovalev. In his case, i think the good outweighs the bad. Ya hes going to make mistakes, as he did yesterday, and im ready to point them out. However, when people are bashing him yesterday for taking Mccabe to the box with him, its ridiculous.
The guy is one of the most skilled in the league, and therefore he is allowed to try whatever he wants in terms of stickhandling/beating guys one on one. Most of the time it works, sometimes, like yesterday it doesnt.
He is by far our best player, which can be seen with him leading our team in points. Many other teams would give their left arm to have Kovy.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
HE WAS the reason why the powerplay was good last year, and this argument was brought often by Kovalev fanboys to defend him

I loved his play on the powerplay last year and I thought that h could repeat it again. Now he always tries for he dump top right corner that never friggin work.
Yes he was (one) of the reason why the powerplay was so good last season but have you ever thought that the opponent is not dumb and knows that Kovalev is the key of the powerplay and hes been watched twice more now than last year?

You're talking like Kovalev purposely want to suck on the powerplay. Kovalev was the best player on the powerplay last season, you think other team ignore that fact and still watching the 4 other players and let Kovalev do what he wants on the powerplay?

Btw, Kovalev is almost the only player that can install the pp by bringing the puck in the offensive zone. All the other players are dumping the puck deep but never able to take it back.

Habs are doing a good job despite all the injuries. Its ridiculous to blame only one player when the team is missing a complete line.

Last edited by Stradale: 01-05-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Yes he was (one) of the reason why the powerplay was so good last season but have you ever thought that the opponent is not dumb and knows that Kovalev is the key of the powerplay and hes been watched twice more now than last year?

You're talking like Kovalev purposely want to suck on the powerplay. Kovalev was the best player on the powerplay last season, you think other team ignore that fact and still watching the 4 other players and let Kovalev do what he wants on the powerplay? Think about it for a second.

Btw, Kovalev is almost the only player that can install the pp by bringing the puck in the offensive zone. All the other players are dumping the puck deep but never able to take it back.
he plays good on the powerplay, don't fool yourself, but it would be nice that sometimes instead of just being the only good player on the powerplay, he actually tried to, you know USE HIS LINEMATES just for once, it would maybe loosen a bit the covering on him. Because right now, when Kovalev is on the powerplay, the only thing that the pkers need to do is make sure to cover his shooting angles and make sure that, when he'll try his stupid top corner shot in the right, that they can clear it up.

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 06:44 PM
sampollock

trying to go through 4 guys on the fla blueline on sunday, was realllllllly bad

carbo should have benched him for that, it cost us a goal.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Stradale

Quote:
he plays good on the powerplay, don't fool yourself, but it would be nice that sometimes instead of just being the only good player on the powerplay, he actually tried to, you know USE HIS LINEMATES just for once, it would maybe loosen a bit the covering on him. Because right now, when Kovalev is on the powerplay, the only thing that the pkers need to do is make sure to cover his shooting angles and make sure that, when he'll try his stupid top corner shot in the right, that they can clear it up.

Last game against Florida, on the first powerplay or second, i forgot but Kovalev barely had the puck and the powerplay was going nowhere and couldnt even installed their play because they were dump and chasing the puck but i never worked. And i notice this season on the powerplay, when Kovy has the puck, he is trying to make a pass more than talking a shot so please dont say that he doesnt use his linemates. The problem on the powerplay is not Kovalev but we need a shooter, another option because the opponent knows Kovalev quarter back of our PP.

The PP needs a shooter and more movements. Each player are staying on the same spot and waiting for the puck, thats really easy for the PKiller. Last year, we had Streit as the shooter so we had two options. Markov to Streit, one timer OR Markov to Kovalev. Now Kovalev is almost double team and all his teammates are just standing there doing nothing. Its much more difficult for a pk killer to work when our player are moving around.

Last edited by Stradale: 01-05-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old
01-05-2009, 06:52 PM
Johnny Hotrox

Quote:
youre right! he's also the 3rd in penalty minutes

what a leader

he really gives the example on this one

my expectations about kovy is that he should make the people around him look better, he doesn't this year
This is a great example of the unwarranted criticism. Penalty minutes? Really? Crosby, Doan, Heatley, Savard, Souray, etc. have more penalty minutes, does that make them poor players?

If Kovy were to miss a lot of games, his PIM would be lower, would that make him a better example?

The people that have these expectations of Kovy should be in favor of paying him about 10 million per when he's an UFA. He's almost 36 and makes 4.5 mil. The team is doing well and he's a big part of it.

P.S. He plays his BEST come playoff time. 95 pts in 112 games (42 goals).

Johnny Hotrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotrox View Post
This is a great example of the unwarranted criticism. Penalty minutes? Really? Crosby, Doan, Heatley, Savard, Souray, etc. have more penalty minutes, does that make them poor players?

If Kovy were to miss a lot of games, his PIM would be lower, would that make him a better example?

The people that have these expectations of Kovy should be in favor of paying him about 10 million per when he's an UFA. He's almost 36 and makes 4.5 mil. The team is doing well and he's a big part of it.

P.S. He plays his BEST come playoff time. 95 pts in 112 games (42 goals).
say that to last year playoff's Kovalev

he has been invisible

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Johnny Hotrox

Quote:

he has been invisible
You mean when he led the team with 11 points in 12 games? This is the problem with the bashers, the bashing doesn't even make sense.

Johnny Hotrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 07:03 PM
evilstanley

Quote:

he has been invisible

umm--- this comment phails

evilstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 07:08 PM
RushDP

Quote:

he has been invisible
Without Kovy we don't get past the Ruins. Period. There is no denying that even by a basher. Unless we ignore the points he scored and the game winning goals he netted for us during the playoffs. But why bring the facts into this debate?

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 07:10 PM
mario66lemieux*

Kovalev does not nor has he ever had any talent whatsoever.

His hands, keeping control of the puck every way possible with his body, his stick and his skates.

He also does something very wrong in carrying the puck in the zone on the powerplay instead of doing the usual dump and chase that his fellow teammates succesfuly use.

Combine that with the horrible shot that he has, and you find a horrible horrible hockey player.

mario66lemieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotrox View Post
You mean when he led the team with 11 points in 12 games? This is the problem with the bashers, the bashing doesn't even make sense.
Knowing him, he will probably say that Plekanec was the one that was really INVISIBLE in the playoff and thats Kovalev's fault because he's making 4.5M and should make his teammates better. He was the reason why Plekanec played like a girl in the playoff until now.

Old
01-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
When a guy with Kovalev's skill is on pace for something like 15 goals......the bashing will stop when the scoring starts

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
When a guy with Kovalev's skill is on pace for something like 15 goals......the bashing will stop when the scoring starts
Actually, hes on pace for 20-22 goals and thats if our PP keeps sucking until the end of the season,playing without Koivu, Tanguay and Higgins, and with an invisible Plekanec. Seriously, would anybody be disappointed if Kovalev ends the year with 25 goals? I know i wouldnt.

Old
01-05-2009, 07:32 PM
kovalost27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Add Tanguay, Andrei Kostitsyn, Sergei Kostitsyn, Guillaume Latendresse, Tomas Plekanec, Patrice Brisebois, Jaroslav Halak, Christopher Higgins... **** the list goes on... Re-build?

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 07:32 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Seriously, would anybody be disappointed if Kovalev ends the year with 25 goals? I know i wouldnt.
Wow, we must have completely different expectations set for the man...

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 07:33 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant1r View Post
Add Tanguay, Andrei Kostitsyn, Sergei Kostitsyn, Guillaume Latendresse, Tomas Plekanec, Patrice Brisebois, Jaroslav Halak, Christopher Higgins... **** the list goes on... Re-build?
So, all is good in Habland, no?

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant1r View Post
Andrei, Sergei, Gui, Halak, and even Higgins and Plekanec are still trying to find thier way in this league. I'd agree with Tanguay though, I don't know HOW he has as many points as he does. Imagine if he hustled like our 4th liners

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 07:35 PM
kovalost27

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
So, all is good in Habland, no?
Yes it is, unless you read hockey in the newspaper instead of watching it on TV

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 08:36 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
The Kovalev bashing has got to stop
Sure. Let's put him on a pedestal and worship the ground he walks on, adulate him like the gold statue that he is.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 08:41 PM
la25ecoupe

Kovalev has the 3rd most votes for the ASG...

There must be a reason..

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Sure. Let's put him on a pedestal and worship the ground he walks on, adulate him like the gold statue that he is.
What's wrong with common ground of accepting his negatives and positives?

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post
Kovalev has the 3rd most votes for the ASG...

There must be a reason..
Screwing system to decide who is starting? Afterall, Rory Fitzpatrick almost started last year!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Stradale

I just dont understand why some so-called fans are bashing ONE PLAYER and insisting on it when that player is leading the team in points and is doing his best in a team filled with injuries.

Old
01-05-2009, 08:59 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
Seriously... enough is enough. Everytime I log on here all I read are people bashing him left right and center. He's become the next whipping boy after Ryder, and just like Ryder last year, we don't see anything about the actual under-acheivers like Plekanec, Latendresse, etc.

For those of you that don't know, here's a rundown of Alex Kovalev.

Plays his best when not confined to a system. Works on the fly, takes chances. Sometimes works, sometimes it fails miserably. That's Kovalev. You take the good you take the bad.

I have no stats to prove it, but seriously, the guy must hit the most posts in the league. If half of those go in, he's a hero.

Skates pretty fast for his age. If you actually go and watch him play at the Bell Centre, he's faster than you think. Besides that, even if he wasn't that fast, it doesn't matter. I remember watching a game that the NHL televised where they had a camera on Mario Lemieux for the entire time he was on the ice and he floated around. It's all about being in the proper position at the right time. Talented guys like him don't have to be constantly skating hard, but to the average viewer it looks like he's dis-interested, or slow, or his work ethic is bad.

Is arguably the most talented player we have had since Lafleur. How can you bash that - he's a gift for the franchise and had a great year last year. He's scored some big goals for us and always has the potential to be a game breaker. He's our leading scorer and is +6 on the year. There is NO ONE on the team that can control the play like he can. I don't see anyone else able to skate the puck into the offensive zone and setup, he is the only guy on the team that is able to do it. Some try, and most of the time fail. Kovalev is a guy that can do this on a regular basis, and we would miss him dearly if he wasnt here.

He's money on the boards. How many times have you seen him go through an entire team along the boards? Hell he even picks up his glove while stickhandling 1 handed around them if he drops it. That kind of player doesn't come around very often, and keeping the puck in the zone is something we have a hard time doing lately.

Finally, for those who say he's got no heart or shouldn't be the Captain, or is a bad role model - I call you out. How the heck do you know? How do you know what goes on in the dressing room? How do you know he's got no heart? Who gave him the C? Why did they give him the C? Did he not have the C when he played for Russia? The guy must have some leadership and heart. I'm not saying that I can prove he's a great leader because I can't, but all of you people who think he's a bum and shouldn't be Captain can't say he's a poor leader either... so drop it already.

This team would not be the same without him. Sure he makes some dumb moves sometimes, but the good far outweigh the bad. Get off of his back already. He's trying to lead a team full of injured and slumping players, and I think he's doing a good job. We would surely miss him if he was not here. Give the guy some credit, and think about his salary, point total and age the next time you want to say something bad about him. Kovy is still the man in my books, and I'd re-sign him in a heartbeat as long as the money was fair.
You have to understand a few things about this place in order to get a better idea of why idiotic things like the constant slamming of Kovalev occurs.

First of all, the Canadiens are a team with a very large fan base, and as such, HFBoards has a very large community here in the Montreal Canadiens forum. As such, we get a full cross-section of "fans" - some of them are very knowledgeable and it's great to read their thoughts on the team. However, the ying to that yang is the Canadiens newsgroup, moreso then any other here, is aboslutely *filled* with people that don't know a damn thing about hockey.

There are literally dozens of posters here that wouldn't be able to tell you what system the team plays. They watch every single game, but couldn't tell you how Montreal breaks out, what system they use to forecheck or how their penalty kill works. They're fans of the Canadiens, but they're not fans of hockey. They don't fully understand it, yet they're quite vocal on their opinions about players.

At the beginning of the season, I was harshly criticized because I was saying how disappointed I was with Ryan O'Byrne's play. For a large chunk of people here, they simply couldn't notice that he wasn't playing the team system for the simple reason that they didn't know what the team system even was.

Even in recent weeks, there were a few threads were people were giving their "ideal lineup" for the Canadiens - this is with the team fully healthy - and an amazing amount of those lines had Matt D'Agostini on the first line and Max Paccioretty on the second line. With all of the Canadiens solid depth up front, these geniuses think the ideal scenario would see them ice raw rookies on the first two lines. That's what you're dealing with. That's the level of hockey knowledge some of the people here are drawing from.

These are the same people last season that were saying it was time to get rid of Saku Koivu. These clearly aren't knowledgeable fans.

Another amazing example from recent weeks was a thread about how the Canadiens had a lot of 'good players' but no stars. In the thread, someone even asked "When was the last time the Habs had a player other teams really coveted?" Ummm.... How about Andrei Markov? An elite defenseman who's among the leaders in the entire NHL in points ... Wouldn't he qualify? Things like that make you really shake your head and wonder how these "fans" watch the games and somehow miss such things.

You really have to consider *who* is doing the talk when you complain about the stupidity surrounding the criticism of Alex Kovalev.

It's amazing how often here a player is deemed "invisible" in a game. Here at HFBoards, "invisible" is really code for "didn't record a point." Recently I've read that Tomas Plekanec was "invisible" in games where he played very solid and created many chances not to mention played well defensively. Conversely, Matt D'Agostini has played games where he's "awesome." That means he scored. Makes you wonder if these people read the boxscores rather then watch the games, no?

I can't fathom how a fan could watch every game this season and be upset with the play of Alex Kovalev. He's had plenty of bad luck in terms of ringing the iron which means his numbers are lower then they should be, but he's rather consistently brought creativity, speed, skill and offensive prowess game in and game out. As the season wears on, I suspect those posts will start to even themselves out and all the geniuses here will talk about how he's playing "so much better" despite the only difference being a few posts are now going in.

Last edited by FerrisRox: 01-05-2009 at 09:07 PM.
FerrisRox is online now   Reply With Quote