Time to say, Tank the season.

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2009, 05:45 PM
Tommy Hawk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
Lol. Tavares is not any of the players you just named.

He will be 10x better than all including Kovalchuk when he comes to the NHL.

This is not a once in a billion chance, this is a once in a 100 billion chance.
First, Waddell would have to draft him, which, based on his track record for picking first round players, is at best a 50-50 proposition!!!

As someone else pointed out, the only way the Thrashers will get better and also not have to overpay for mediocre players (Hainsey) to come to Atlanta is to get rid of Waddell. They can make no other moves other than that and they will get better.

Old
01-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Georgia Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleCAPS View Post
word, he has skill but his speed and skating is still suspect, he could easily disappear his first year much the way Stamkos has, especially if IK isn't still part of the team next year.
I think it is likely he would disappear like Stamkos. He has skill, but is not NHL ready yet.

As I said before, the Thrashers have to hope they can develop their prospects into top NHL players. We can not always look for a trade or a FA to get us out of the cellar. It has to be through the draft process. You pick up a piece or 2 in trades and FA. The key is the draft.

Old
01-06-2009, 07:12 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Tavares is NHL ready. If Kane was NHL ready as a rookie then without a doubt Tavares is lol hes like a miltimes better than kane. I would of taken Tavares at the age of 12 then every Thrasher currently except Kovy and Little. He will come in right away and dominate no matter where he goes. bank on it. Tavares will save a franchise no doubt in my mind.

I'll predict on this date, Tavares, as a rookie, barring any injuries, will have 100+ points in his rookie season. Prediction made on 1/6/09. Bank on it.

Don't forget ASF told you so when this comes true.

Last edited by John Cena*: 01-06-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old
01-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Capa*

You lost all credability when you said that Tavares will be better than Kovalchuk...

Old
01-06-2009, 07:31 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

How? How do you know he won't be? Your probably gonna ask how do i know he will be? I don't know and you don't know either so don't tell me what i lost. Just wait. Then tell me next season this time. We will see who is hugging who.

Kovalchuk is not a God. He don't do everything. He has alot of flaws in his game. He might be the worst defensive foward in the league. True talk. I'm still waitin for him to do something on D instead of sitting at the blue line. No wonder he's never been a + player in his career.

As much as i love Kovy, he has no defense what so ever.

Old
01-06-2009, 07:37 PM
GetPucksDeep

Quote:

...I'll predict on this date, Tavares, as a rookie, barring any injuries, will have 100+ points in his rookie season. Prediction made on 1/6/09. Bank on it.
So.... You're that sure we won't win the lottery?

Old
01-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Capa*

Quote:
How? How do you know he won't be? Your probably gonna ask how do i know he will be? I don't know and you don't know either so don't tell me what i lost. Just wait. Then tell me next season this time. We will see who is hugging who.

Kovalchuk is not a God. He don't do everything. He has alot of flaws in his game. He might be the worst defensive foward in the league. True talk. I'm still waitin for him to do something on D instead of sitting at the blue line. No wonder he's never been a + player in his career.

As much as i love Kovy, he has no defense what so ever.
first off LOL at the part i bolded in your comment. Solid English there.
Secondly....how about we put some stakes on it then... If your so sure Tavares will score 100points or more in his rookie season then lets make a bet on it...I bet you that he wont..if I am wrong then ill stop posting on these boards forever...if im right...you make a thread saying Kovalchuk IS god and Tavares is a peice of **** compared to our God Kovalchuk..Deal?

Old
01-06-2009, 09:02 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

So if Tavares got 99 points i got to make a thread saying Tavares is horrible? LOL
How many points do you expect him to get?

I'll make a thread right now saying Kovalchuk is amazing. He is my FAV NHL player. This bet is more like a joke it don't even make sense.

Old
01-06-2009, 09:11 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetNoneIn View Post
So.... You're that sure we won't win the lottery?

Wait a Second

Old
01-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Based on the past few seasons, it's safe to say that 60 points would give us a very high chance of finishing last.

Right now, we sit at 31 points, with 41 games played. Continuing this pattern, we would finish with 62 points. However, without that 5 game winning streak, we would currently sit at 21 points. Based on the play of the Thrashers over the past month, I think it's fairly safe to say that there are no more 5 game winning streaks on their way this season. With the team's current pattern, a streak of 4 losses and 1 win are more likely. This would put our record at 9-27-5 over the last half of the season. The year-end point total would be approximately 54 points.

That would be a near guarantee of the 1st overall pick heading into the draft lottery.

Old
01-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Ashe

Tavares wont be NHL ready. But he will put people in the seats..Which is what the team needs right now more then anything. I Dont see us getting the first pick either. im sensing the 3rd as it is...Which leaves us with a giant choice. I say we need to pick up a late first round pick for sure, to get some more talent in the draft..but i dont think we possess anything to send to people to get a late first

Old
01-07-2009, 09:09 AM
The Maltais Falcon

Quote:
Find me where i said i was rooting for them to lose.
Umm, how about the title of the frigging thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flerd_trandle
I'm of the opinion that if you miss the playoffs, you might as well stink and get the best prospects.

What is the bonus of finishing 10th in the east every year? The Thrashers could end up like the Panthers: year after year of going into the season saying, "this year is the year," only to miss out on both the playoffs and the blue chip prospects.
Once upon a time I was of that opinion too, but clearly that doesn't work. Detroit and New Jersey never pick high yet they consistently find good players through their drafting and development. Nashville has never really been an awful team like us and they've turned up consistently good young prospects. Bottom feeders like us, Florida, the Islanders, and Columbus remain bottom feeders, high draft picks and all.

Pittsburgh caught lightning in a bottle by picking high a few years in a row and landing players that actually panned out, but they've also managed to augment them with solid free agent pickups and trades. They also had Craig Patrick, who was a decent GM, helping build the team.

The only reason firing Waddell won't bring me much solace is the knowledge that the Atlanta Spirit Gong Show will be the ones naming the replacement. That said, we need to start somewhere.

Old
01-07-2009, 09:17 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maltais Falcon View Post
Umm, how about the title of the frigging thread?

Once upon a time I was of that opinion too, but clearly that doesn't work. Detroit and New Jersey never pick high yet they consistently find good players through their drafting and development. Nashville has never really been an awful team like us and they've turned up consistently good young prospects. Bottom feeders like us, Florida, the Islanders, and Columbus remain bottom feeders, high draft picks and all.

Pittsburgh caught lightning in a bottle by picking high a few years in a row and landing players that actually panned out, but they've also managed to augment them with solid free agent pickups and trades. They also had Craig Patrick, who was a decent GM, helping build the team.

The only reason firing Waddell won't bring me much solace is the knowledge that the Atlanta Spirit Gong Show will be the ones naming the replacement. That said, we need to start somewhere.

Most teams build through a combination. New Jersey and Detroit is about 50-50 drafted/developed and signed/resigned (resigned is when they were drafted/developed, went somewhere else, and were then reacquired by the team).

Waddell sucks at drafting as well as signing current talent.

Old
01-07-2009, 09:35 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvesfan View Post
Waddell sucks at drafting
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe there are only 5 forwards playing in the entire NHL that were drafted by Don Waddell, and 4 of them are 1st round picks:

Dany Heatley
Ilya Kovalcuk
Brian Little
Jim Slater
Darcy Hordichuk

After 9 years of NHL drafts....THAT is simply unbelievable. Especially since one of the 1st round picks is a borderline NHL 4th line C.

Old
01-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCostanza View Post
You lost all credability when you said that Tavares will be better than Kovalchuk...
There is a very strong chance that he could be.

He broke Wayne Gretzky's CHL scoring records. Enough said.

Old
01-07-2009, 01:41 PM
Capa*

Myself along with the majority of the board tends to disagree with this Tavares> Koval nonesense.

There was either a poll of just a general discussion of this earlier this year and I remember the vast majority of people saying Kovalchuk for the 1st overall pick this year is Ludicris....Im not going to take the time to search for the link so you'll have to believe me lol.

Tavares will be great...But hes not a Kovalchuk

Old
01-07-2009, 02:40 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Explain to me why Tavares won't be better or can't be better than Kovalchuk? Kovalchuk is nothing but goals. Tavares will rack up 100 point seasons and finish on the + side and if he does this throughout his career he will be way times better than Kovalchuk. Kovalchuk has yet to do any of that. Tavares will play defense. Kovalchuk has yet to do that. Plus Tavares will fill the back of the net too. Not as much as Kovy but he will fill it up.

So what makes Kovalchuk this amazing all around player you make him out to be? He's not lol. He's just a goal scorer and so far it looks like thats all he will ever be. I'm still waitin for him to play defense.

Do not say other wise. He all goals and thats it. Send me tape on him making good defensive plays and hustling on defense. You can't because he never does.

I love the goal scoring but its time to do other things and not be a 1 dimensional player. He's trying with all this passing but now he forces passes and doesnt take as many shots.

Tavares and Kovy on the same line = Unstopable.

He would finally have the center he needs.

We would have 2, 100pt players on the same line.

Last edited by John Cena*: 01-07-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old
01-07-2009, 03:20 PM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
Explain to me why Tavares won't be better or can't be better than Kovalchuk? Kovalchuk is nothing but goals. Tavares will rack up 100 point seasons and finish on the + side and if he does this throughout his career he will be way times better than Kovalchuk. Kovalchuk has yet to do any of that. Tavares will play defense. Kovalchuk has yet to do that. Plus Tavares will fill the back of the net too. Not as much as Kovy but he will fill it up.

So what makes Kovalchuk this amazing all around player you make him out to be? He's not lol. He's just a goal scorer and so far it looks like thats all he will ever be. I'm still waitin for him to play defense.

Do not say other wise. He all goals and thats it. Send me tape on him making good defensive plays and hustling on defense. You can't because he never does.

I love the goal scoring but its time to do other things and not be a 1 dimensional player. He's trying with all this passing but now he forces passes and doesnt take as many shots.

While I fully agree that Kovalchuk sucks at defense, he still makes a good defensive play about every 10 games or so. Most of the time its because he lost the puck when on the point; however, I seem to remember Kovalchuk had a nice backcheck in the most recent game against Toronto.

P.S. I'm really stoked about the possibility of Kovy and Tavares together. Tavares thinks the game so well that I think he would be able to handle Kovalchuk's free wheeling style, something his linemates haven't done since I can't remember when.

Old
01-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 95
Quote:

I don't think anybody doubts Tavares can be better than Kovalchuk but it isn't at all certain that he will be. Proven players always outweighs potential in every scenario. Kovalchuk is at the moment perhaps a top 3 goal scorer in the league as has established himself as such on a generally subpar team.

Now I really hope for Atlanta's sake, if they do draft John Tavares, that Wadell doesn't trade Kovalchuk beforehand.

Old
01-07-2009, 08:45 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:

Except that Ilya Kovalchuk has never scored 100 points and saying Tavares will hit 100 is a bit premature...

Old
01-08-2009, 01:14 AM
Ashe

And the fact you stated Kovvy can only score; when he has more assists then goals, The team lacks a decent PK which is why kovvy is out there to generate more offence(Its a new position it takes time to adjust).

Old
01-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Boognish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
Tavares wont be NHL ready. But he will put people in the seats..Which is what the team needs right now more then anything. I Dont see us getting the first pick either. im sensing the 3rd as it is...Which leaves us with a giant choice. I say we need to pick up a late first round pick for sure, to get some more talent in the draft..but i dont think we possess anything to send to people to get a late first
What makes you think Tavares will put people in the seats? Will he make ticket prices come down? Will he make it easier to get to games at 7pm? Will he deliver 20+ wins on his own? Will he replace college football and basketball as primary Atlanta sports? Once again, some people on this board are applying mythical attributes to mortals; teenagers at that. The best thing to put butts in seats is winning. Period.

Old
01-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Boognish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvesfan View Post
Most teams build through a combination. New Jersey and Detroit is about 50-50 drafted/developed and signed/resigned (resigned is when they were drafted/developed, went somewhere else, and were then reacquired by the team).

Waddell sucks at drafting as well as signing current talent.
Waddell is definitely awful with FAs, but he's right in the middle of the pack as far as drafting. Go do the legwork and you'll see. I know he's not popular, but there are plenty of real things to ridicule him for without making things up.

Old
01-09-2009, 02:33 AM
Ashe

Tavares would get us Television coverage, News bits on how he is doing. They'd actually show highlights from games instead of "Oh thrashers got stomped again"
He would put people in the seats with the attention and the ability to market a great player as him. As great has Hedman is/could be. can we market a guy who barely speaks english?

Old
01-09-2009, 04:55 AM
toph2o

Did anybody see JA's comments after the NJ game about "this is how we've got to play if we're going to make the playoffs..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-eavMSBnk

Closed Thread