HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I'm nervous... Are we going to LOCK in Zherdev?

Old
01-05-2009, 03:49 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I think he's been as advertised — a world of talent and a world of inconsistency.
Can't say I disagree with you here, Singn.

The way I see it - I see a whole lot of something that just isn't ready to burst out yet. I've seen some great things out of Zherdev. He's our leading scorer. On pace for a career year.

But I've seen some very frustrating things too.

This isn't denouncing him or his play, I just think he could be a lot better.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Stepan Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
If Zherdev receives an offer sheet around or over 5 million per, the Rangers should and will seriously consider letting him go.
Well if someone goes for over 5.3 per, we'd be entitled to two 1st rounders, a 2nd, and a 3rd. I'd take it, especially with the shape of our farm system.

But in the current economy, I doubt a team would be willing to trade both that cap hit and those picks for Zherdev.

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 04:00 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
he is very up and down so it is hard to tell what he actually deserves but I don't think he or Dubinsky are going to get as much as people thought originally.
He's not up and down.

He is the only player on the team that has consistently produced.

He has 10 points in his last 9 games.

And for some unknown reason, Renney has decreased his playing time over that span, going from 21 mins steadily down to 15 mins... but then again, Renney does things that are mind boggling more often then not.

Zherdev should be on the ice over 20 mins each game. No excuse. Renney needs to realize he is our best player.

He is on pace for 72 points. Which is very steady.

If he gets hot, he could top 80 points this year.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 04:06 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
He's not up and down.

And for some unknown reason, Renney has decreased his playing time over that span, going from 21 mins steadily down to 15 mins... but then again, Renney does things that are mind boggling more often then not.

Zherdev should be on the ice over 20 mins each game. No excuse. Renney needs to realize he is our best player.

Nicely put.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 04:12 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
He's not up and down.

The numbers are nice. But can you honestly say that 80 points is good for his talent?

01-05-2009, 04:13 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
The numbers are nice. But can you honestly say that 80 points is good for his talent?
on a team like the rangers who can not score to save their lives, yes.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 04:16 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
on a team like the rangers who can not score to save their lives, yes.
That's not really an answer. He's never really had that great season. And with his talent, he has the ability to create offense himself. He scores goals that only a handful of players can. He finds open ice as well as anyone.

But for some reason he's really not put it together. The great players find a way. Pavel Bure found a way in FLA. Kovalchuk finds a way.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 04:18 PM
mike14

Would love for the Rangers to lock him up, but the price has to be right.

mike14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 04:20 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
80 points is good for anyone. Especially on a team that is so offensively anemic. He gets those points almost single handed majority of the time. His assists are typically all from unreal passes that most players wouldn't dare trying.

I honestly feel he has the most raw skill i have ever seen in a hockey player. I used to feel that about Kovalev.

If he had guys around him that either gave more (Gomez, Naslund) or weren't in a sophmore slump (Dubinsky) then i think he could put up 90 this year.

Imagine if he had Kovalchuk on his opposite wing? Yeesh. Kovalchuk would put up 60 goals with the way Zherdev passes.

By the way, that is what i pray for. The Rangers locking up Zherdev and signing Kovalchuk.

Old
01-05-2009, 04:20 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
That's not really an answer. He's never really had that great season. And with his talent, he has the ability to create offense himself. He scores goals that only a handful of players can. He finds open ice as well as anyone.

But for some reason he's really not put it together. The great players find a way. Pavel Bure found a way in FLA. Kovalchuk finds a way.
I totally understand where you are coming from. Zherdev has the ability to put up more than a PPG at this level however he is streaky and doesnt always give 100% effort. However, I feel like if he was paired with someone who could put up a good amount of points he would be on pace for more than the 80 points already stated.

Also, kovalchuk is on pace for his lowest amount of goals in his entire career, I believe he is on pace for 25-27 goals and 55 assists. So about 70 points.

Not that I am making excuses for him, but he also isnt used on the first PP unit most of the time and only gets anywhere from 14-18 minutes of ice time per game. No where near what those players you mentioned are getting or got. He is still refining his game and while I think he could handle a larger work-load, it is what Renney sees as what he can handle that ultimately matters, unfortunately.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 04:25 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
80 points is good for anyone. Especially on a team that is so offensively anemic. He gets those points almost single handed majority of the time. His assists are typically all from unreal passes that most players wouldn't dare trying.

I honestly feel he has the most raw skill i have ever seen in a hockey player. I used to feel that about Kovalev.

If he had guys around him that either gave more (Gomez, Naslund) or weren't in a sophmore slump (Dubinsky) then i think he could put up 90 this year.

Imagine if he had Kovalchuk on his opposite wing? Yeesh. Kovalchuk would put up 60 goals with the way Zherdev passes.

By the way, that is what i pray for. The Rangers locking up Zherdev and signing Kovalchuk.
The team is offensively anemic and he's a part of the team.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 04:36 PM
John Torturella

If someone wants to sign either of them to a big offer sheet we should just take the draft picks.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 04:43 PM
blue68

Send a message via AIM to blue68
Quote:
Dont forget that there were also people that wanted to lock Dubinsky up for 10 years and annointed him as the future captain after a hot start 10 games into this season.

Why not? Our present captain has what - 3 more points

blue68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 04:49 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
The team is offensively anemic and he's a part of the team.
He's the only one that produces at consistent rate, though.

He's only one guy.

He has 35 points in 40 games. He's almost a point per game player. All he needs to so is get hot for a couple of games.

Can't expect someone to do more then that.

The other thing is Renney keeps bumping him around and deceased his ice time by 6 minutes over the last few games.

He should be playing 20+ minutes each game.

And like Kovalchuk and Ovechkin, he should be on the ice the entire duration of the power play.

He should even be used in short handed situations to attack the opposition, and add another dimension to the game.

I agree with people on this aspect, that Renney doesn't do things like that, when maybe he should be. If the Ranges play a more uptempo attack game, perhaps they would be harder to play against and force the issue and make other teams stay back a little on their heels. Alot of that is on the players too. For not playing with more urgency.

But Zherdev should be getting a heck of a lot more ice time then he has been getting.

He is averaging 16:57. That is not nearly enough for a guy with his talent level.

He should be up in the 20's.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 01-05-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old
01-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue68 View Post
Well to be fair (although I do dislike Drury), not every captain has to be a superstar.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 04:57 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue68 View Post
And in all fairness, Dubinsky plays his heart out.

He is in a goal scoring slump. But he is still on pace to surpass his point totals from last year, albeit by a very small margin.

So, even though he is struggling, he is still not doing as badly as it seems.

He is also only 22 years old.

Dubinsky has a great head on his shoulders, he won't stay in his funk for too long.

And, although he hasn't scored, he does have 5 points in his last 6 games.

Old
01-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:

I think you are forgetting how young he is. Let him get a few years older before you use players like Bure and Kovalchuk in the same argument as Zherdev.

Edit:Nvm, he is 24. I thought he was barley 23. Still, give him one-two more years I say.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 05:08 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
I think you are forgetting how young he is. Let him get a few years older before you use players like Bure and Kovalchuk in the same argument as Zherdev.

Edit:Nvm, he is 24. I thought he was barley 23. Still, give him one-two more years I say.
Yea but unlike Kovalchuk, who averages over 21 minutes per game.

And Renney is only giving Zherdev an average of 16 minutes per game.

There is a huge disparity in ice time.

And despite it, Zherdev is still almost a point per game player. (5 points off the mark right now).

Imagine if he were given consistently, every game, 21 minutes of ice time?

He should be on the ice the entire duration of the power play. Like Kovalchuk.

And he should be used in short handed situations to add another dimension, and attack the opposition, put pressure on them.

Zherdev needs more ice time to break out from promising young elite offensive player, to actual elite offensive player.

That extra 5 minutes of ice time per game is a huge difference maker. A lot of time for him to make something happen.

In the few games that Renney actually did give him 21 minutes. He was noticeably the most dynamic player on the ice for both teams.

Old
01-05-2009, 05:20 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I'm a big Zherdev fan, but he's no Bure and he's no Kovalchuk. Those are franchise players. Zherdev is not a franchise player. He's a great, great compliment to guys like that. But if he's "the man" offensively for a team, like he is for this team, then his team is not winning any Stanley Cups. He's very, very good, but he's not elite. He's more like a Kovalev. Maybe he could be a franchise guy, based on talent alone, but for whatever reason, he just doesn't have that extra little something, much like Kovalev. He had one season in Pitts where it looked like he finally put it all together, but he couldn't sustain it.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 06:59 PM
RangersFan88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereback View Post
OK...SIGN ME UP.....hope you can predict the future.
its not me predicting
its history repeating itself

RangersFan88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Celestial Black

Honestly, I'm hoping that he and Dubi get signed within the next few weeks.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
If Zherdev receives an offer sheet around or over 5 million per, the Rangers should and will seriously consider letting him go.
You don't think a team would give Zherdev $5 million?

*24 Years Old
*Will have three 20 goal seasons under his belt
*Will be coming off of back to back seasons with 60 - 70 points (07/08 - 26g 35a, 08/09 - 24g 46a [projected])

A 24 year old whom is coming off back to back seasons with 60 - 70 points screams a $5 million contract. Thats the reality of it. Teams looking for a talented winger will easily offer that money to him. He isn't going to come at a cheap price tag like Ranger fans are hoping for. Look at the contracts given out the last few years over the past several off-seasons. Zherdev getting a $5 million contract is very reasonable.

Zherdev signing for $4 million would be a home town discount. I don't see us acquiring a 24 year old with that kind of talent and those kind of numbers. Especially if he does end up leading the team in scoring. He'll acquire a lot of interest. If the Rangers aren't willing to make some changes to free up cap-space for him than we'll have to let him go. That or he'll sign, which is what I'm hoping, at a major hometown discount of $3.5 - $4 million.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 09:32 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Renney only gave Zherdev 00:46 of Power Play time.

And 14:00 overall tonight.

That is unacceptable.

He will never produce the way he is capable of with that misuse.

Renney is starting to get on my nerves. I typically always defend him, but lately he is making decisions i can't defend.

Old
01-05-2009, 09:37 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:

That is unacceptable.

Renney is starting to get on my nerves. I typically always defend him, but lately he is making decisions i can't defend.
I'm with you on this. I don't for the love of God understand the Korpikoski scratch, voros insertion, and Zherdev's ice time decline. These are three glaring mistakes from Renney, and I'm also a Renney supporter.

I want to see Prucha with Dubi and Zherdev. I want to see Zher's ice-time increase. I want to see Korpi with Naslund and Gomer. Dawes-Drury-Cally was good together. I don't understand the uneccesary tinkering.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 09:37 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:

That is unacceptable.

In all fairness, Zherdev played a terrible game. Whether or not Voros brought him down is another story, though.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote