HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

I'm nervous... Are we going to LOCK in Zherdev?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-05-2009, 09:54 PM
  #51
gravytrain6t
Registered User
 
gravytrain6t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
sather will do everything he needs to in order to lock up the following players in the next two seasons:

zherdev
staal
dubinsky
girardi
callahan


those 5 are the key pieces that need to be kept, after that sather has to do what he can
Well we shouldn't be worried about Staal right? Because Naslund's contract will be off the books after next year.

Is it imperative that we trade one of the big 4 salaries in order to take care of those guys. I mean Callahan shouldn't be too bad. Nor Girardi. IDK.
Actually as of now, Zherdev and of course Staal are the only guys I can really see teams going very hard after. I think the biggest deal has to go to Staal.

What about Mara after this year. It would be a shame if we had to let him walk because I think he's peaking as a hockey player.

Kalinen, you know your way out right?

Technically we can also let Bettes go if needed. I'm sure Renney would not like that.

I'm sure Sather already has planned what he wants to do.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:15 AM
  #52
NYR Lunchbox
Registered User
 
NYR Lunchbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 560
vCash: 500
he better be back i bought a Z jersey at the garden 2night (no more dubi's in xl still love Z tho)

NYR Lunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 05:27 AM
  #53
gaglinefan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 304
vCash: 500
Zherd

FCOL, the guy has been hustling since he got here. Watch him take the ice to block shots, almost every game. He has more scoring ability than anyone on the team, only Nas is close. While he may not scare you every time he gets on the ice, the guy is 24. He will be a great player. It is unfair to compare him to others, lets let him be him. Slats has coffee grinds in his head if he doesn't pay him fairly; he will be a star here for years. JMHO

gaglinefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:38 AM
  #54
NYROrtsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,903
vCash: 500
Zherdev has been more consistent than I expected. He's causing scoring chances each night but some people (especially around here) are so in to Stats and actual goals that they lose focus on what the player is actually doing on the ice.

He has zero as far as linemates go. Dubinsky does very little and Voros isn't a top 3 line player by any means.

When he had Gomez and Naslund, that is when he was at his best, but at this point Naslund and Gomez aren't point per game players.


If Zherdev some talent around him, he'd be a point per game player in my mind.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:42 AM
  #55
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,287
vCash: 500
Zherdev
Dubinsky
Callahan
Dawes
Sjostrom
Prucha(if he isnt traded and keeps playing well)
Betts
Orr
Mara


Those are the players i want resigned. There is no way Sather will have the room to do so

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:57 AM
  #56
Mr Bojanglez
Registered User
 
Mr Bojanglez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: From Jersey w/ Love
Country: United States
Posts: 10,878
vCash: 500
I've mentioned it before, but if someone offers Z a contract sheet... take it and run.

I don't think Gomez and Drury are going anywhere. Not at least anytime soon. Even though they are underperforming, it would be foolish to try. First off, you can't move Drury. Secondly, I believe Gomez will hit his prime in another year or two. Sather should stick to his plan, and build around those guys. You're not even a full 2 years deep into it.

That said, you MIGHT be able to get rid of Redden or Rozsival. Even if you do, you're only marginally better on cap space.

Say Zherdov gets 80 points. Can you be so certain he does it again? I know he's been one of your better scorers. But being the best scorer on a currently offensively challenged team is not an accolade.

NJ's Gionta scored 48 goals, then remained relatively average the following 2 years. He's having a good season now (contract year). I was glad to have him on the team, but not glad to give him $4m.

I'd rather give $$ that could be owed to Zherdov to your young defense. Give them a little taste now, and you'll keep them for awhile. Kind of like what we did with Parise. Acknowledge their skill, but keep the team competitive. In a couple years, give them a pay day.

Zherdov is NOT a franchise player. I don't see him as making players around him better. He's nice for his current contract. But if he is offered more than $4-5m per, for min 3 years, take whatever picks you can get. Cause its not in the best interest of the team to sign him.

Whether you like them or not, you have 5 big contracts you have to deal with. Signing him to a decent contract ties up a lot of cap space. So if anyone throws an offer sheet at him, take the free picks. It's tough to resign him otherwise (Based on the current roster)

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:18 AM
  #57
ecemleafs
Registered User
 
ecemleafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 9,470
vCash: 500
zherdev is a restricted FA right? so we would be owed compensation? that would certainly scare teams off giving him a big contract would it not?

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:42 PM
  #58
Ice Hockey
Registered User
 
Ice Hockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Zherdev has been more consistent than I expected. He's causing scoring chances each night but some people (especially around here) are so in to Stats and actual goals that they lose focus on what the player is actually doing on the ice.

He has zero as far as linemates go. Dubinsky does very little and Voros isn't a top 3 line player by any means.

100% agreed. i think i remember seeing him with gomez last night on a couple shifts but he was busy turning pucks over in the neutral zone. even the announcer criticized him for it.

anyways, his efforts lead to great breakouts and scoring chances. it's not all about stats.

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:49 PM
  #59
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyH2O View Post
I've mentioned it before, but if someone offers Z a contract sheet... take it and run.

I don't think Gomez and Drury are going anywhere. Not at least anytime soon. Even though they are underperforming, it would be foolish to try. First off, you can't move Drury. Secondly, I believe Gomez will hit his prime in another year or two. Sather should stick to his plan, and build around those guys. You're not even a full 2 years deep into it.

That said, you MIGHT be able to get rid of Redden or Rozsival. Even if you do, you're only marginally better on cap space.

Say Zherdov gets 80 points. Can you be so certain he does it again? I know he's been one of your better scorers. But being the best scorer on a currently offensively challenged team is not an accolade.

NJ's Gionta scored 48 goals, then remained relatively average the following 2 years. He's having a good season now (contract year). I was glad to have him on the team, but not glad to give him $4m.

I'd rather give $$ that could be owed to Zherdov to your young defense. Give them a little taste now, and you'll keep them for awhile. Kind of like what we did with Parise. Acknowledge their skill, but keep the team competitive. In a couple years, give them a pay day.

Zherdov is NOT a franchise player. I don't see him as making players around him better. He's nice for his current contract. But if he is offered more than $4-5m per, for min 3 years, take whatever picks you can get. Cause its not in the best interest of the team to sign him.

Whether you like them or not, you have 5 big contracts you have to deal with. Signing him to a decent contract ties up a lot of cap space. So if anyone throws an offer sheet at him, take the free picks. It's tough to resign him otherwise (Based on the current roster)
I would much rather keep Zherdev than Gomez if moving Gomez was an option. Zherdev isn't going to cost 7 million, and he's a bigger talent than Gomez. If you can move Gomez, even for nothing, it's a good idea. This team isn't going anywhere with a foundation of Gomez-Drury. There is no cap space to get the other pieces that the team needs to make those two come even close to being worth their salaries, and not much hope in terms of prospects either. Outside of Grachev, we have no top-6 caliber wings coming up, and even he is still a question mark.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:58 PM
  #60
Mr Bojanglez
Registered User
 
Mr Bojanglez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: From Jersey w/ Love
Country: United States
Posts: 10,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I would much rather keep Zherdev than Gomez if moving Gomez was an option. Zherdev isn't going to cost 7 million, and he's a bigger talent than Gomez. If you can move Gomez, even for nothing, it's a good idea. This team isn't going anywhere with a foundation of Gomez-Drury. There is no cap space to get the other pieces that the team needs to make those two come even close to being worth their salaries, and not much hope in terms of prospects either. Outside of Grachev, we have no top-6 caliber wings coming up, and even he is still a question mark.
Agreed. I'm operating under the assumption you don't get rid of Drury or Gomez. Realistically, Gomez' contract is probably movable. I still think he's going to be a better player in 2 years. He has the vision, just needs veteran poise. There is a reason he got that contract. I still think he's an extremely talented center. He just needs to put theory into practice, so to speak

You bring up a good point, about the lack of wings. While Dubinsky is struggling, a bit, he'll still be at worst a 3rd line center... with likely potential to be a solid 2nd line guy. So center is not the issue. I like Callahan, but agree he hasn't surged the way I would expect.

All this considering, I'd still take an offer sheet. I don't think he's a franchise player, and if the price is too high (which isn't unbelievable), I'd let him walk and get some free picks.

Who knows, maybe that will come back to bite me. But there are plenty of RWs I would try to acquire over him.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 05:03 PM
  #61
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 30,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Relax. It's 5 days into the re-signing period, I have no doubts he and Dubinsky will get signed to reasonable contracts.
Actually the Rangers could have locked up Zherdev and Dubinsky at anytime since 7/1/08

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 05:04 PM
  #62
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 10,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Actually the Rangers could have locked up Zherdev and Dubinsky at anytime since 7/1/08
But I believe in that case it would have counted against this year's cap, no?

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 05:06 PM
  #63
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 30,992
vCash: 500
Dubinsky will get between $1.7-$2 million.Chris Higgins,Tomas Plekanac,Ryan Kesler and Robert Nilsson money.

Kesler and Brandon have the same agent.Kurt Overhardt.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 05:08 PM
  #64
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 30,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
But I believe in that case it would have counted against this year's cap, no?
No.It would be an extension starting with the 09-10 season.

The January 1 date is for players signed to 1 year contracts.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 05:11 PM
  #65
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyH2O View Post
I've mentioned it before, but if someone offers Z a contract sheet... take it and run.
I'm not so sure I agree with this. Sure if a team offers him a crazy contract of 6M/year let him go and take the picks. But if the return is 2 first rounders a 2nd and a 3rd, there's an excellent chance we would be better sticking with NZ. Most of our picks (or anyone's for that matter) don't pan out...and even if we got one of the first rounders right the odds
would still be that pick isn't a Zherdev. People love picks...but at the end of the day very good NHLers are far better than draft picks.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 05:12 PM
  #66
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 30,992
vCash: 500
Zherdev has an agent Roland Hedges who doesn't have many clients.Semin makes $4.6 million in Washington.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 05:14 PM
  #67
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94
 
HeaveHo94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NY NEW YORK
Country: United States
Posts: 2,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Yeah, but that would only lock him up for a year.
OR 2

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 05:24 PM
  #68
Banks3rdLineCenter
 
Banks3rdLineCenter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 2,052
vCash: 500
Fact of the matter is that Zherdev is the biggest offensive threat on this team. Saying that that's not a big deal because the whole team is offensively challenged is just faulty reasoning. The fact that no one else on this team has much offensive ability makes it that much more imperative to resign him.

Again, if another team wants to offer him 5-6 mil than we let him go. But if Zherdev does leave, his production has to be replaced and I don't see that coming from within the system. Honestly, IMO, it seems like everytime the Rangers score a goal Zherdev is on the ice and usually contributed to the goal in some way. If he leaves, who do we replace him with?

If you think our offense is bad now (which every sane person does) than imagine subtracting Zherdev and Naslund. Which players are going to fill those spots? I love Korpedo and I think he has actually played pretty decently but he's clearly not ready to be half the offensive threat that Zherdev is. Grachev is looking like a steal but is he really going to make a huge immediate impact?

One of the big 4 contracts needs to go. You simply can't hold onto the garbage on a team while the productive players are allowed to leave. Sather will get these guys signed somehow.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 05:49 PM
  #69
gravytrain6t
Registered User
 
gravytrain6t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Zherdev
Dubinsky
Callahan
Dawes
Sjostrom
Prucha(if he isnt traded and keeps playing well)
Betts
Orr
Mara


Those are the players i want resigned. There is no way Sather will have the room to do so
Well I always here of players like Orpik or Campbell taking pay cuts. Maybe a few of these guys on your wish list will as well.
I happen to like Prucha but I have a bad feeling he won't be back. Hope I'm wrong. I think they would rather bring back Korpikoski before they bring back Prucha.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 06:13 PM
  #70
gravytrain6t
Registered User
 
gravytrain6t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,867
vCash: 500
Actually Sather obviously must be thinking the same stuff we're thinking. So maybe we are in a lot of trouble here. He must have a clue by now who he wants to keep around and who he doesn't.

So my question is. We have many RFA. If Sather had the room to take care of just one guy he knows he wants to keep around. Why wouldn't he have done it already?

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:35 PM
  #71
mike14
Registered User
 
mike14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne
Country: Australia
Posts: 3,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post

So my question is. We have many RFA. If Sather had the room to take care of just one guy he knows he wants to keep around. Why wouldn't he have done it already?
How do you know it's not being done now? How do you know that Sather didn't place a call to the agents at 00:01 on the 1st and get told that they don't want to negotiate until the end of the season?
I'm not a Sather fan but getting on him for this is silly

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:10 PM
  #72
Renion
Registered User
 
Renion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 7,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Zherdev has an agent Roland Hedges who doesn't have many clients.Semin makes $4.6 million in Washington.
The negotiations between Roland and MacLean were pretty intense. How's Sather's ego? If it's anything like MacLean's, you might be in for a saga.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Zherdev camp asked for 4.5-5 million and worked its way down--but not much--from there. My memory might be off, but I think Horton (maybe) and Lupul (almost positive) were two of the players being used as comparable in the last round of negotiations.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:36 PM
  #73
gravytrain6t
Registered User
 
gravytrain6t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
How do you know it's not being done now? How do you know that Sather didn't place a call to the agents at 00:01 on the 1st and get told that they don't want to negotiate until the end of the season?
I'm not a Sather fan but getting on him for this is silly
Wow man, u need some alprazolam or something, you alright?

I'm one of the very few who happens to be a Sather fan. All it was, was a simple question that was brewing in my mind.

And your hitting me with military times and how silly I was for getting on Sather.

I think your reaction is > silly. How do you know? How do you know?

I felt like I was back sitting in a Philosophy class room. How do you know that I exist? How do you know the universe isn't merely an illusion? Calm down a little dude. Relax.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:37 PM
  #74
Ice Hockey
Registered User
 
Ice Hockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Most of our picks (or anyone's for that matter) don't pan out...and even if we got one of the first rounders right the odds
would still be that pick isn't a Zherdev. People love picks...but at the end of the day very good NHLers are far better than draft picks.
the key here is that it will NOT be a Zherdev-- it won't even come close. i can't imagine how good of a multidimensional player he's going to he crafted into over the years if he stays healthy. we should offer him some money if we can.

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:43 PM
  #75
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 10,503
vCash: 500
I'm not terribly worried about an offer sheet, given the current climate. Still seems like Zherdev is considered by many to be "enigmatic" and I bet a lot of teams wouldn't be interested in sending him an offer sheet much bigger than what we'll hopefully wind up paying him anyway.

We can only hope that the global economic climate also hurts the KHL's chances...

I'd love to keep Nikky around though. His numbers look an awful lot like those of a young Datsyuk...

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.