HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Cold Rinks

Old
01-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Puckboy

vCash: 500
Cold Rinks

What is the best way for kids to keep their hands and feet from getting cold and hurting at cold and outdoor rinks. My son wears thin socks and have never had a problem seems kids with thicker socks have the problem. WHat do you do about the hands.

Puckboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 05:05 PM
Red Dragon

suck it up, just don't be out there for too long when its -30c.

Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 05:21 PM
densetsu

I have a pair of UnderArmor Cold Gear gloves: http://www.amazon.com/Under-Armour-C.../dp/B000BY862O. I haven't used them for hockey, but it seems they would fit under hockey gloves fine and help keep his hands warm. Personally, I've never had an issue with my hands being cold outside.

What kind of hockey gloves does he wear? My palms and fingers are (synthetic?) leather, not a lot of air movement. My friend says his hands get cold; he has several areas on his gloves that are made from breathable material, which could lead to heat loss.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 05:22 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckboy View Post
What is the best way for kids to keep their hands and feet from getting cold and hurting at cold and outdoor rinks. My son wears thin socks and have never had a problem seems kids with thicker socks have the problem. WHat do you do about the hands.
If your skates are properly fitted you shouldn't have much trouble with cold feet, because there won't be a whole ton of air in the boot.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 05:47 PM
MikeD

Snug fit skates and thick socks will cause problems. Any who have doubled or tripled up, adding too much material, in a pair of winter boots would find the feet get cold much faster if they become tight. Once the material is smooshed between foot and boot, you lose that dead air space and its insulating properties. Layering is fine as long as they are LOOSE layers. In the days prior to thinsulate and other modern materials, the US army cold weather boot relied on air. Refered to as Mickey Mouse boots. They had air filled bladders, resembling the famouse mouse ears, that provided rather decent protection. That dead air space will slow heat being radiated out from the boot.

Gloves, once wet from sweat or snow can be a killer. Wrist bands can help stop sweat from running into the gloves as well as long sleeve thermal long johns. For general skate rather than hockey, go with a good pair of mittens over fingered gloves. Seperating the fingers in gloves causes more material surface for heat loss. Also, keep a second pair of socks and mittens to replace those that get wet, if you wish to extend the time they are on the ice. Disposable or re-usable hand warmers also go a long way in helping prevent frost bite.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Gino 14

Part of the problem with thick socks is that kids feet sweat and soak their feet before they play and then the sweat is what gets their feet cold.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote