HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I'm So Excited! (Merged)

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2004, 01:38 AM
Necrophile

vCash: 500
I'm So Excited!

I can never remember being so excited like this at the trade deadline. Bob Gainey has moved, and he still has a few days until the trade deadline.

MODS: I am not using this thread to warn of an upcoming trade, and am only using the following 2 sources as my reasons to explain being excited!

I am excited because:

1) The famous MolsonMan has decided to lay low after having dropping many excited hints as to an approaching blockbuster trade. It is believed he will resurface when (if) the trade has actually happened, like he has done in the past. Also, curiously, he has warned posters to "pay attention to your computer screens".

2) About the same time, a new fellow by the name of habsalive has emerged as a new "insider". Could he be the one whose coming was foreshadowed by MolsonMan? We may never know. He has hinted as being the brother of (or he himself) Stéphane Quintal. He says that although MolsonMan has his hands tied, he will stay in touch. This habsalive character has said that the deal involves Kilger, Perreault, and Zednik.

3) He has even said that the players involved will possibly not play against LA Saturday (which is huge, given the deadline is Monday, and insiders have pointed to Monday as being the day of the announcement of the trade).

I'm so excited! I wonder if a trade will really happen. Anyway, I don't want to piss off the mods, so I'll cut to the chase: do you think a deal is already in the works RIGHT NOW? Also, do you generally believe "inside sources" (which ones)?

Old
03-06-2004, 02:13 AM
DirtyJeeves

Send a message via AIM to DirtyJeeves
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrophile
do you think a deal is already in the works RIGHT NOW? Also, do you generally believe "inside sources" (which ones)?
1) We still need a blueliner, so yes.
2) No, not usually. MolsonMan grew on me, and I'm a bit disappointed he's decided to stop posting. But anyone hinting to being Stephane Quintal, not a chance in hell.

Old
03-06-2004, 03:00 AM
Go Habs Go

What's the point of speculating? The game is not too far off, if they get scratched, we'll know if it's legit. Although I do agree that it is exciting times!

Old
03-06-2004, 05:11 AM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrophile
I can never remember being so excited like this at the trade deadline. Bob Gainey has moved, and he still has a few days until the trade deadline.

I'm so excited! I wonder if a trade will really happen. Anyway, I don't want to piss off the mods, so I'll cut to the chase: do you think a deal is already in the works RIGHT NOW? Also, do you generally believe "inside sources" (which ones)?
These are definitely exciting times. Don't think that BG doesn't feel the same. From what I've seen, he has a plan that could work. If I were him, I would take this opportunity to make impressive moves and gutsy calls. I mean, look at the extra veterans we could unload, and then realize the other million possibilities if we dipped into the depth of the minors!? Since there are rumours of big new on Monday (and the deadline being Tuesday), I half expect to see a couple of acquisitions that may end up being trade day bait. Whose number one pick do we want?

Old
03-06-2004, 05:58 AM
#44_delivers

by the way this teams roster looks i think it's impossible for us not to make a trade, id be in shock if we didnt trade at least 2 more times,
when bulis comes back theres going to be a huge over flow of back end forwards, i mean you cant have 5-6 3rd liners in one team, but which one of them is a tradable asset thats the question.
also a couple of suspect defencemen hurt this team, quintal especialy.
there must be a couple of moves left to clean this depth mess up.

im excited as well

Old
03-06-2004, 09:04 AM
plafleur10

If Blockbuster=Zednik gone, for or against?

If there is a so-called Blockbuster, let's be realistic, it will mean more than prospects and the Kilgers/Perreaults of this world leaving town, we will get some return, but lose a "star" or two.

Since there is no smoke without fire, most of the smoke coming up has Zednik as the guy going.(N.B. While there has also been a little smoke about Koivu, I now agree that it would be crazy to deal him, he is playing outstanding Hockey since The Incident)[/I]

Of course, it depends on the return, but in principle, even assuming a decent return à la O'Neil, do you think unloading Zed at this point is a good idea?

Let me post the first vote, mine is a NO, he is our best goal scorer, yes he slumped badly at some point, but he lately has been playing like the Zednik of old, busting thru checks along the Boards, etc

Old
03-06-2004, 09:28 AM
Russeltown

Absolutely not, O'Neill for Zednik is as like as 4 quarters for 1$

Old
03-06-2004, 09:32 AM
alexx3

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10
If there is a so-called Blockbuster, let's be realistic, it will mean more than prospects and the Kilgers/Perreaults of this world leaving town, we will get some return, but lose a "star" or two.

Since there is no smoke without fire, most of the smoke coming up has Zednik as the guy going.(N.B. While there has also been a little smoke about Koivu, I now agree that it would be crazy to deal him, he is playing outstanding Hockey since The Incident)[/I]

Of course, it depends on the return, but in principle, even assuming a decent return à la O'Neil, do you think unloading Zed at this point is a good idea?

Let me post the first vote, mine is a NO, he is our best goal scorer, yes he slumped badly at some point, but he lately has been playing like the Zednik of old, busting thru checks along the Boards, etc

I'd say YEA. We know what Zednik's upside is and IMO he has already reached it so if there was good trade out there I'd go for it btw I prefer Zednik over O'Neill but if we were talking about Ryan Smyth...
PS: Whatabout trying to pry Satan from Buffalo? Hainsey and something and top two lines would look like Zednik-Koivu-Satan / Ryder-Ribs-Kovalev

Old
03-06-2004, 09:38 AM
hockey_nut

Unless it's packaged for a top-flight player (a Demitra type), I say no.

What's the point? Zednik can produce almost as well offensive as guys like O'Neill, etc. And now, with Kovalev on his line, and Koivu up the middle, they're going to produce a helluva lot more.

Old
03-06-2004, 09:38 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexx3
I'd say YEA. We know what Zednik's upside is and IMO he has already reached it so if there was good trade out there I'd go for it btw I prefer Zednik over O'Neill but if we were talking about Ryan Smyth...
PS: Whatabout trying to pry Satan from Buffalo? Hainsey and something and top two lines would look like Zednik-Koivu-Satan / Ryder-Ribs-Kovalev
Zednik over o'neill any day.

Zednik for Ryan Smyth makes more sense than Zedder for O'Neill. Smyth brings a hard nose edge to the game and is also a great passer (something Zedder isn't). Oilers may go for such a deal because they getting scoring in return now and a lower salary, but they aren't sellers.

Satan to Montreal, Sabres aren't going to give him away.

Old
03-06-2004, 09:39 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
AGAINST- At 1.95 mill Zednik must stay!

Old
03-06-2004, 09:41 AM
hockey_nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Satan to Montreal, Sabres aren't going to give him away.

i want it to happen to... but do you think Buffalo will trade him to us?

Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev
Satan - Ribeiro - Ryder

works for me... what can we offer, if they're willing?

Old
03-06-2004, 09:45 AM
felixd

If we trade Zednik for a winger, it is at best a lateral move, unless the winger is Iginla, Bertuzzi, Naslund...you get the point.

Smyth is too injury prone...O'Neill is a whiny *****. I'm not sure I would move Zednik for either of those.

Bring on Satan!

Old
03-06-2004, 09:47 AM
Marksman

I'm perfectly happy with Zednik as he is now. He may not score 30 goals or 50 points every year, but he makes it up creating space and time for others with his speed and work along the boards. I'd say Habs should add couple wingers like him, and Ryder.

Trade Koivu and Zednik away and its just not the same team.

Old
03-06-2004, 09:50 AM
hockey_nut

Agreed.... won't make sense to deal him. Unless, like I said, you get a top end player, there's no point to bring someone else in, with a bigger pay-check, to do the exact same thing.

Go after Satan, it won't hurt. Gainey has the tools to make an offer, and you know he's inquired. Frankly, I doubt Buffalo will deal him to us, but there's always a chance.

Old
03-06-2004, 10:09 AM
skidboot

Gotta be careful when going after players. Having the proper chemistry is REALLY important.

Look at the Rangers. They basically acquired every big name out there and did nothing.

Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians is a sure recipe for disaster.

Old
03-06-2004, 11:21 AM
Go Habs Go

It all depends on what the return is. You cannot decide whether or not you'd like to trade zednik or not without knowing what the return is. If the trade is advantageous, do the trade, if not, then obviously not.

Old
03-06-2004, 11:30 AM
alexx3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidboot
Gotta be careful when going after players. Having the proper chemistry is REALLY important.
Look at the Rangers. They basically acquired every big name out there and did nothing.
Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians is a sure recipe for disaster.

True. Then again Satan seems to be pretty down to earth guy and he and Zednik played in a same line in Slovak's national team. I'm more worried about the price... Hainsey and ... wouldn't want to give up Hossa or Higgins or Perezhogin so what's left?

Old
03-06-2004, 12:06 PM
plafleur10

RW vs. LW

Also, at forward, we are sort of Ok on the right side with Kovalev, Ryder, Ward, dackell and Zednik who can play and is better on the RW IMO.

So, the elft side is where we are weak, if we trade Zed, better a solid LW comes the pther way, but I remain against...

Old
03-06-2004, 12:14 PM
alexx3

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10
Also, at forward, we are sort of Ok on the right side with Kovalev, Ryder, Ward, dackell and Zednik who can play and is better on the RW IMO.
So, the elft side is where we are weak, if we trade Zed, better a solid LW comes the pther way, but I remain against...
agree. imo if Habs don't make any trades i'd like 'em give Hossa another chance next week. Hossa-Koivu-Zednik/Ryder-Ribs-Kovalev/Begin-Dowd-Ward/Sunny or Perreault - Juneau-Dackell

Old
03-06-2004, 01:58 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
I'm perfectly happy with Zednik as he is now. He may not score 30 goals or 50 points every year, but he makes it up creating space and time for others with his speed and work along the boards. I'd say Habs should add couple wingers like him, and Ryder.

Trade Koivu and Zednik away and its just not the same team.
Zednik also creates a lot of work for other teammates with his inability to make a play and his poor passing and vision. He is also average or below-average in his own end. He is very predictable when shooting the puck as well and does not get himself open very well. I like Zednik's competitiveness, but I prefer players who can play a puck control game, hustle AND bring physicality.

I think a Jeff O'Neill (who plays better on left wing) would be a sweet fit and would bring a lot more grit and muscle to the team. He's not an upgrade defensively, but is a much better playmaker and I wouldn't be surprised to see him net 40 goals. I bet having Koivu setting him up would revive him like when he had a fresher Ronnie Francis to get him the puck. He is rumored to have an attitude problem, but Gainey could just ask Langden about that since he was his teammate. Anybody could slump on that Carolina team, I wouldn't blame him for that. And he was just as effective as Zednik was in the playoffs in 2002, with more muscle (remember what he did to Souray?). This is my kind of player and I think Bob Gainey's type of player, assuming he does NOT have an attitude problem. Plus, he comes pretty cheap. The big if is that he is a free agent and would have to agree to a longterm contract for this deal to make sense.

Old
03-06-2004, 02:46 PM
tritone

Don't Forget

Playoffs! Z-man is a playoff player....come the second season we'll all be happy Z is still around. And I don't think there would be much point landing Smyth if we have to give up Z. It would completely turn around the team's chemistry ...Kovalev and Smyth minus Zednik ... too much change in player type before the Playoffs isn't always a good idea.

Old
03-06-2004, 03:35 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_nut
i want it to happen to... but do you think Buffalo will trade him to us?

Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev
Satan - Ribeiro - Ryder

works for me... what can we offer, if they're willing?
How about Hainsey and Bulis for Satan, would that work?

Old
03-06-2004, 03:43 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund
How about Hainsey and Bulis for Satan, would that work?
omg man !!! dont bring up bulis's name!!!

Old
03-06-2004, 03:46 PM
oli500

Zednik will step his game up a notch for the playoffs. Rerember 2 years ago before he got the concusion, He was the leading scorer in the playoffs with 8 points or something like that in 3 games. It was the same in washington when they were in the playoffs before he was traded to the habs. He allways got that important goal. Zednik will be an important piece if we want to go far in the playoffs. he has alllways brought his game to a hole new level of intensity come playoffs time. So I wouldent give up zednik. Sure he's had his slump but i am sure hes going to find the back of the net once its for real.

Closed Thread