HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our Whipping Boys Are Doing Well

Old
01-06-2009, 05:28 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
A different system would improve our offense to an extent, but it would not change the fact that this is a poorly constructed roster and one of the least skilled and least talented teams in the NHL.

If you can forget about the attachments you have to your favorite team's players and look at things objectively, then what if you could trade our 12 forwards for any other team's 12 forwards (including age, contracts, injuries and all everything else included in the package), how many teams are there that you would reject? 4? 5? Maybe 6? Teams like the Islanders, basically, and there aren't many in today's NHL that actually are THAT bad.

And frankly, if you made the same offer with top six defenseman, again taking into account contracts and everything else, I think there is still a pretty big majority of teams that I would make that trade with. Once again, you have to forget about your bias to these players. I really like Marc Staal and Nik Zherdev, too, but you can't think about that in this kind of question.

Obviously, I wouldn't make the same kind of trade with Lundqvist. Maybe not even for Luongo, though that can be debated.

Point is, this team just doesn't have much talent, and it's poorly put together to boot. To expect them to score a lot is kind of dumb, and there are far better reasons to be unhappy with Renney than the system.
Sting, I disagree with you on many points while respecting your posts most of the time, but I gotta say that your NEGATIVE bias is showing here.

Depending on how the five teams behind us do in their 1-3 games in hand, we are either in the top 6th of the league or the top 3rd of the league. And you're telling me that you would prefer to have both the entire forward roster of all but 5 other teams and also the entire defensive roster of all but 5 other teams?!?!?!? THAT is kind of dumb.

Even if you COULD argue that our forwards/defensemen as a group were worse than the same players on 5/6 (five sixths!) of the other teams in the league - and I dispute that fact - then that would only add more ammunition to the fact that the other group would have to be CLEARLY better than their counterparts on the majority of other teams in the league.

No goalie who ever played the game could put you in the top 6 records if you had BOTH a bottom sixth forward pool and a bottom sixth defense corps.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
A different system would improve our offense to an extent, but it would not change the fact that this is a poorly constructed roster and one of the least skilled and least talented teams in the NHL.

If you can forget about the attachments you have to your favorite team's players and look at things objectively, then what if you could trade our 12 forwards for any other team's 12 forwards (including age, contracts, injuries and all everything else included in the package), how many teams are there that you would reject? 4? 5? Maybe 6? Teams like the Islanders, basically, and there aren't many in today's NHL that actually are THAT bad.

And frankly, if you made the same offer with top six defenseman, again taking into account contracts and everything else, I think there is still a pretty big majority of teams that I would make that trade with. Once again, you have to forget about your bias to these players. I really like Marc Staal and Nik Zherdev, too, but you can't think about that in this kind of question.

Obviously, I wouldn't make the same kind of trade with Lundqvist. Maybe not even for Luongo, though that can be debated.

Point is, this team just doesn't have much talent, and it's poorly put together to boot. To expect them to score a lot is kind of dumb, and there are far better reasons to be unhappy with Renney than the system.
Disagree

The roster of offensive players is fine...it's the coaching that's the problem.

Bring in an offensive minded coach and our offense will improve in no time

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 05:45 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
Disagree

And the defense will be just fine right?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Fletch

Brf...

doesn't the Rangers system forecheck and try to capitalize on neutral zone turnovers, as well as try to transition quickly out of the defensive zone? I think part of the issue has to be that this team has peripheral players. Even in this neew age NHL, those guys are going to struggle to score against a lot of teams. They don't struggle to shoot, but they lack the players who can consistently get in tight, play well in traffic and get quality shots and get to the rebounds. They're actually pretty good at keeping the puck in the offensive zone. They're inconsistent on the cycle (varies from line to line) and inconsistent involving the defensemen (varies from line to line - I think Dubi kicks it out the best), and when you have inconsistency among your forwards, you'll have inconsistencies, and difficulties, scoring (I think Singn's made this point too, although I've skimmed through a lot of the posts because there's too many for me to read). I'm not sure how much the system changes that and what sacrafices to defense is made.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
Disagree

And the defense would suffer.

But hey, at least we'd lose games 5-4 and be exciting...which means nothing to me if we're, you know, losing.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 05:50 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
doesn't the Rangers system forecheck and try to capitalize on neutral zone turnovers, as well as try to transition quickly out of the defensive zone? I think part of the issue has to be that this team has peripheral players. Even in this neew age NHL, those guys are going to struggle to score against a lot of teams. They don't struggle to shoot, but they lack the players who can consistently get in tight, play well in traffic and get quality shots and get to the rebounds. They're actually pretty good at keeping the puck in the offensive zone. They're inconsistent on the cycle (varies from line to line) and inconsistent involving the defensemen (varies from line to line - I think Dubi kicks it out the best), and when you have inconsistency among your forwards, you'll have inconsistencies, and difficulties, scoring (I think Singn's made this point too, although I've skimmed through a lot of the posts because there's too many for me to read). I'm not sure how much the system changes that and what sacrafices to defense is made.
It TRIES, but the problem is that guys are prevented from maximizing their abilities by being tied to the blue line, afraid to pinch in. I was at last night's game, and noticed many instances where players passed up opportunities to get in lanes and attack the puck carrier in the offensive zone, and instead retreated to a point where they were backed up as far as the defensemen.

we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 05:51 PM
Fletch

that's the issue, Bluenote...what happens with the defense. If the defense was made up of better players, that's one thing, but it's not. And the question is, what kind of offense are we talking about? Are we talking about Zherdev hanging at center ice? I don't know if many (aside from BRF) have articulated exactly what they'd like to see different offensively and thinking through what that does to the other side of the equation.

I am a believer that a good offense can be a good defense. But that has its limits. A good offense from Jagr, even if it doesn't score, led to good defense because the puck was typically at the other end of the ice for most of his shift, wearing down the other teams' defensemen and not the Rangers' defensemen. Having Zherdev hang at the red line waiting to be sprung is not good offense leading to good defense. That's risking the puck never leaving your own zone.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Garfinkel1

We are not a loosing team. Point % wise we are top 5 in the conference which is very good after a bad December slump. Yes, Renney plays for the points and to an extent it works. Our record is much better than the way we played over a long stretch...

However, The regular season is to work out all the kinks. Fix all your problems. Gear yourself for the playoffs. Try out different systems till you find one that works for you. Renney has not done that. Yes, He changes the lines every day but he needs to leave em together for 5-10 games at a time. HAVE PATIENCE in that regard. His defensive system is just frustrating. He should loosen the players defense first leash and let them try and deke a defender or two. Rush up for a fast break. Get an offensive rytham going. It keeps the defense honest and forced them to play your body, not the stick which gives you more room to work with and opens up the offensive zone. Yeah we might not get as many points over that period because maybe his way is the most effective way to get the most amount of points out of this team but it's as though he had forgotten about the playoffs.
Our Record not ending in Shootouts is terrible and there are no shootouts in the playoffs (OHHH how I wish there were...6 rounds though.) Tom Renney is playing for the regular season when he should be playing for the playoffs.

Also,
Isn't it his job to hire/fire/deal with Powerplay/PK Coaches - Perry Pearn. He is god awful. Stop listening to him and do your own thing or hire someone else who will. Hire Pearn an "assistant" if you don't want to fire him...

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 05:55 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Sting, I disagree with you on many points while respecting your posts most of the time, but I gotta say that your NEGATIVE bias is showing here.

Depending on how the five teams behind us do in their 1-3 games in hand, we are either in the top 6th of the league or the top 3rd of the league. And you're telling me that you would prefer to have both the entire forward roster of all but 5 other teams and also the entire defensive roster of all but 5 other teams?!?!?!? THAT is kind of dumb.

Even if you COULD argue that our forwards/defensemen as a group were worse than the same players on 5/6 (five sixths!) of the other teams in the league - and I dispute that fact - then that would only add more ammunition to the fact that the other group would have to be CLEARLY better than their counterparts on the majority of other teams in the league.

No goalie who ever played the game could put you in the top 6 records if you had BOTH a bottom sixth forward pool and a bottom sixth defense corps.
Well, to be clear, while I think only 4-6 teams have a worse forward group than the NYR do, I think the number is larger in the case of defensemen. What I meant was that I think more than half the teams in the league have a better six-pack of blueliners, but not more than 2/3.

It's amazing what having one of the best goaltenders in the world will do.

But I'm going to take a good look at every team's roster when I get a few minutes and make a list of teams I would/wouldn't exchange forwards and defensemen with. Maybe I'll prove myself wrong, but I don't expect it.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 05:58 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Wade Redden is playing much better.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 06:01 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Well, to be clear, while I think only 4-6 teams have a worse forward group than the NYR do, I think the number is larger in the case of defensemen. What I meant was that I think more than half the teams in the league have a better six-pack of blueliners, but not more than 2/3.

It's amazing what having one of the best goaltenders in the world will do.

But I'm going to take a good look at every team's roster when I get a few minutes and make a list of teams I would/wouldn't exchange forwards and defensemen with. Maybe I'll prove myself wrong, but I don't expect it.
Teams I'd Trade forwards with:
San Jose
Boston
Detroit
Washington
Montreal
Philadelphia
Chicago
Anaheim
Pittsburgh
Los Angeles

Teams I'd trade Defense with:
San Jose
Detroit
Montreal
Calgary
Anaheim
Florida

Teams I'd trade goalies with:

Old
01-06-2009, 06:06 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
San Jose
Boston
Detroit
Washington
Montreal
Philadelphia
Chicago
Anaheim
Pittsburgh
Los Angeles

Teams I'd trade Defense with:
San Jose
Detroit
Montreal
Calgary
Anaheim
Florida

Are you taking into account things like contracts?

Old
01-06-2009, 06:12 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Are you taking into account things like contracts?
Oh come on now - the teams records are not a result of how their contracts stack up. Whether or not you think contracts are good or bad, what matters at the end of the day is the teams' relative performance.

You are well known as someone who hates several of the contracts on our team. Given your bias, I now see why you can say there are so many other forwards and defense groups you'd prefer. But what you'd be basing that on is not the quality of those groups but rather the "negative space" of what they could potentially allow you to do. And that's a fallacy in and of itself, because it doesn't take into account the fact that every other team with unused space will be competing with you.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 06:13 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
And the defense will be just fine right?
How good is our defense to begin with? I see more odd man rushes, and more quality shots given up by our team then any playoff contention team.

Renney goes to a "defensive" mode when we are up 4-0, and we lose. Thats not quite shouting "Awesome defensive system" to me.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 06:17 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Oh come on now - the teams records are not a result of how their contracts stack up. Whether or not you think contracts are good or bad, what matters at the end of the day is the teams' relative performance.

You are well known as someone who hates several of the contracts on our team. Given your bias, I now see why you can say there are so many other forwards and defense groups you'd prefer. But what you'd be basing that on is not the quality of those groups but rather the "negative space" of what they could potentially allow you to do. And that's a fallacy in and of itself, because it doesn't take into account the fact that every other team with unused space will be competing with you.
But you see it isn't just contracts, it's also taking into account that a lot of teams have much better young forwards than we do that will only improve and for now are still very affordable.

And the contracts are how you can judge the team's ability to improve itself in the future.

Yes, I know this is a very open-ended hypothetical. And to be honest, I'm in the middle of the "examination" at the moment and I think I may have to revise my claim, although only to an extent.

However, I still think the question has some merit and makes a significant point about this team.

Old
01-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
How good is our defense to begin with? I see more odd man rushes, and more quality shots given up by our team then any playoff contention team.

Renney goes to a "defensive" mode when we are up 4-0, and we lose. Thats not quite shouting "Awesome defensive system" to me.
No one is saying its awesome, you constantly jump to the far end of every discussion.

A few games in an 80+ game schedule we've blown leads. I'm not happy about it but its not the norm either.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 06:21 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
But you see it isn't just contracts, it's also taking into account that a lot of teams have much better young forwards than we do that will only improve and for now are still very affordable.

And the contracts are how you can judge the team's ability to improve itself in the future.

Yes, I know this is a very open-ended hypothetical. And to be honest, I'm in the middle of the "examination" at the moment and I think I may have to revise my claim, although only to an extent.

However, I still think the question has some merit and makes a significant point about this team.
Some teams have highly paid forward groups, others have highly paid defensive groups, and some have highly paid goalies. Salary doesn't judge the talent level of a forward group (in either direction: having a low salaried group doesn't mean you're awesome, or vice versa).

Old
01-06-2009, 06:26 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Some teams have highly paid forward groups, others have highly paid defensive groups, and some have highly paid goalies. Salary doesn't judge the talent level of a forward group (in either direction: having a low salaried group doesn't mean you're awesome, or vice versa).
This exercise is meant to illustrate Sather has planned and managed this team's roster and salary cap situation quite poorly when compared to other teams around the league. He has been the team's GM for a long time, to the extent that practically every player on the team or in the organization is one that he has his fingerprints on.

Neither our forwards or our defenseman are elite, and our financial situation does not leave us much hope for improvement anytime soon.

Old
01-06-2009, 06:31 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
This exercise is meant to illustrate Sather has planned and managed this team's roster and salary cap situation quite poorly when compared to other teams around the league. He has been the team's GM for a long time, to the extent that practically every player on the team or in the organization is one that he has his fingerprints on.

Neither our forwards or our defenseman are elite, and our financial situation does not leave us much hope for improvement anytime soon.
Well then I believe your question of roster trading is irrelevant. Every GM has different opportunities/needs/circumstances/constraints before him, and one can't compare apples to oranges and say, "Well ****, Sather should have drafted Toews and Kane and gotten the unwanted Patrick Sharp from Philly, and picked up Hossa in the free agency period, etc. etc. etc."

Old
01-06-2009, 06:39 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Well then I believe your question of roster trading is irrelevant. Every GM has different opportunities/needs/circumstances/constraints before him, and one can't compare apples to oranges and say, "Well ****, Sather should have drafted Toews and Kane and gotten the unwanted Patrick Sharp from Philly, and picked up Hossa in the free agency period, etc. etc. etc."
Yes, every GM does have different challenges, but as they say, the proof is in the pudding. And the Rangers are fortunate enough to face less challenges than most teams in the league, by the way, which only further enforces how poor of a job Sather has done when compared to his peers. I think most would agree that the standings during the regular season aren't a completely honest judge of a managerial team's performance overall and long-term. If you can't compare Sather's performance to that of his peers, then how else can you judge his performance.

This is significant because Sather hasn't iced a particularly strong team this season, at least in my opinion, nor is there much reason to believe any major improvements are coming in the near future. The prospect pool combined with the financial situation doesn't seem to allow it. We have a couple of good-looking prospects, but I'm not sure any of them are good enough to take this team to another level.

Old
01-06-2009, 06:47 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
By that rationale, why would you ever give any kid any kind of offensive role? You would play your vets until they were 50 years old or until some kid magically scored 30 while playing 7 minutes a night on the fourth line.
How many rookies score 25 - 30 goals their first season? How many score 25-30 their second?

01-06-2009, 06:50 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
San Jose
Boston
Detroit
Washington
Montreal
Philadelphia
Chicago
Anaheim
Pittsburgh
Los Angeles
You wouldn't trade forwards with Calgary or Buffalo?

Quote:
. So true.

Old
01-06-2009, 06:51 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
How many rookies score 25 - 30 goals their first season? How many score 25-30 their second?
Trick question?
A rookie can't score goals his second season because he is no longer considered a rookie.

What do I win?

Old
01-06-2009, 06:55 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Trick question?
A rookie can't score goals his second season because he is no longer considered a rookie.

What do I win?
You want to argue semantics and labels? Entering this season Dawes had played in a grand total of 69 NHL games. How many players are legit, bankable 25-30 goal scorers after 69 NHL games?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 06:55 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Yes, every GM does have different challenges, but as they say, the proof is in the pudding. And the Rangers are fortunate enough to face less challenges than most teams in the league, by the way, which only further enforces how poor of a job Sather has done when compared to his peers.
Wow, a NYC sports GM with fewer challenges than your average GM? NY GMs are never really given the opportunity to "rebuild," and pretty much have to do everything they can to ice a competitive team year in/year out. They're subject to intense scrutiny where the slightest move is gone over and over time and again, and if that move isn't a slam dunk from the get-go, people call for their heads. I'd say Slats has quite a bit to deal with.

Quote:
I think most would agree that the standings during the regular season aren't a completely honest judge of a managerial team's performance overall and long-term. If you can't compare Sather's performance to that of his peers, then how else can you judge his performance.
By looking at what he started with and what we have now and looking at whether or not he could have handled things better. Like I say, you can't compare him to GMs like in Chicago who have had the benefit of nabbing amazing young players because they sucked for a while (young players who, by the way, will be demanding pretty high salaries in not too long).

Quote:
This is significant because Sather hasn't iced a particularly strong team this season, at least in my opinion
Your opinion is one thing, but the fact is that the team he has put together has been near the top of the standings for most of the season so far despite its flaws. They've also gone toe to toe with teams like Los Angeles (who is a goalie away from being one of the league's most complete teams IMO), Detroit (reigning champs), Philadelphia, the Ducks (recent champs), Chicago (with all those great young players), and San Jose. Now whether or not the standings change remains to be seen, but the personel can't be that bad.

Quote:
nor is there much reason to believe any major improvements are coming in the near future. The prospect pool combined with the financial situation doesn't seem to allow it. We have a couple of good-looking prospects, but I'm not sure any of them are good enough to take this team to another level.
Neither of us knows what Sather is planning, so what will happen from here on out is pure speculation. I'm also going to assume that he has better knowledge of which of our prospects look to be difference makers than you and I, and will act accordingly.