HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would ya do it? (Trade)

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2004, 02:11 AM
MontrealCruiser_83*

vCash: 500
Would ya do it? (Trade)

Would you guys do this?

Koivu

for

Arnott + Morrow

It would give us a lineup similar to this:

Ryder-Ribeiro-Kovalev
Morrow-Arnott-Zednik
Ward-Begin-Dackell/Sunny
Langdon-Perrault/Juneau-Kilger/Dagenais
-----------------------------------------------------
We add top line grit for the playoffs and get younger...

Old
03-06-2004, 02:22 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealCruiser_83
Would you guys do this?

Koivu

for

Arnott + Morrow

Ryder-Ribeiro-Kovalev
Morrow-Arnott-Zednik
Ward-Begin-Dackell/Sunny
I wouldn't mind having those players, but not for Koivu. I like playmakers. Without guys to handle the puck, we'd suck. Arnott is a slacker too, just like Kovy. Recipe for disaster if you ask me.

We definitely need to get tougher though. Slowly Gainey is doing it.

Old
03-06-2004, 03:04 AM
DirtyJeeves

Send a message via AIM to DirtyJeeves
It's something I'd think long and hard about, before shooting down.

Morrow's a guy I'd love to see on this team, but at the expense of Koivu, I'm not too sure.

Just curious, did you put much thought into this as to why Dallas would go for it? I don't see them letting go of Morrow.

Old
03-06-2004, 03:08 AM
EaGLE1

We simply need to keep koivu, period

Old
03-06-2004, 03:31 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Dallas wont do this deal !
and koivu will stay !

Old
03-06-2004, 03:57 AM
Go Habs Go

Of course I would do this deal! Are you kidding me? That's highway robbery!

Old
03-06-2004, 04:03 AM
MeTaL4EvR

Quote:
Would you guys do this?

Koivu

for

Arnott + Morrow

Ryder-Ribeiro-Kovalev
Morrow-Arnott-Zednik
Ward-Begin-Dackell/Sunny

Morrow is the future captain of the Stars, he's already acting like one. He won't go anywhere, he is too much valuable for his team. Except if you offer really good stuff in return. And by the way Dallas would never do this trade ... Would you trade Higgins,Perozhogin, Kastitsyn for crap? No? You must think that there is another team involved in this deal ... I agree that it would be great to add more grit, but it's gonna cost a lot more then that to get even just Morrow.

ps : I'm not comparing Koivu to crap, it's just an example.

Old
03-06-2004, 04:13 AM
MoeLemayStays

Burn is right. Wake up, Morrow is going nowhere

Old
03-06-2004, 04:16 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

The Stars wouldn't do either for Koivu. He isn't what they need.

Old
03-06-2004, 04:23 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
The Stars wouldn't do either for Koivu. He isn't what they need.
They'd be lucky to have Koivu. That would maximize Modano and Guerin. They have enough grinders and Arnott is a floater. Morrow is a nice player, but he's no Koivu.

Old
03-06-2004, 04:36 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
They'd be lucky to have Koivu. That would maximize Modano and Guerin. They have enough grinders and Arnott is a floater. Morrow is a nice player, but he's no Koivu.
No we don't. We don't need a soft, undersized playmaker. We barely have room for what has been our best forward of late, Pierre Turgeon. He brings the exact same qualites to the ice as Koivu does, making him completely unnecessary.

Arnott has not been a floater, how do you figure. Arnott has been the Stars top centerman this year, and has recently caught fire with his newly formed MAG line. He's dominant in the circle, is physical, plays defense and is utterly tough to guard. I know he's been deemed a floater for not playing motivated enough and such, and I know he's quite inconsistant, but he's been different this season, he's enjoying a very good season. He now has 49 points in 62 games, on pace for 65 and since the MAG line has been together (13 games), he has accumulated 18 points and has 12 in his last 7. I wouldn't trade Arnott for Koivu. We already have Turgeon, and Arnott is a great fit right now. This is no knock on Saku whatsoever.

Morrow sure ain't no Koivu, his style is the exact opposite. But as good as Arnie has been, Morrow has been better. He's playing on that very same MAG line and has scored 10 goals in those 13 games. But we've been there before, Morrow is not even open for discussions. We aren't the Senators with an average age of 19. The Stars are old and aging and Morrow is deemed as untouchable as it gets, projecting as our future Captain. Like Arnott, I wouldn't trade Morrow for Koivu, much less both. You want our top centerman and our top forward ever since last year's playoffs for someone the Stars have absolutely no interest in whatsoever.

Old
03-06-2004, 04:46 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
No we don't. We don't need a soft, undersized playmaker. We barely have room for what has been our best forward of late, Pierre Turgeon. He brings the exact same qualites to the ice as Koivu does, making him completely unnecessary.

Arnott has not been a floater, how do you figure. Arnott has been the Stars top centerman this year, and has recently caught fire with his newly formed MAG line. He's dominant in the circle, is physical, plays defense and is utterly tough to guard. I know he's been deemed a floater for not playing motivated enough and such, and I know he's quite inconsistant, but he's been different this season, he's enjoying a very good season. He now has 49 points in 62 games, on pace for 65 and since the MAG line has been together (13 games), he has accumulated 18 points and has 12 in his last 7. I wouldn't trade Arnott for Koivu. We already have Turgeon, and Arnott is a great fit right now. This is no knock on Saku whatsoever.

Morrow sure ain't no Koivu, his style is the exact opposite. But as good as Arnie has been, Morrow has been better. He's playing on that very same MAG line and has scored 10 goals in those 13 games. But we've been there before, Morrow is not even open for discussions. We aren't the Senators with an average age of 19. The Stars are old and aging and Morrow is deemed as untouchable as it gets, projecting as our future Captain. Like Arnott, I wouldn't trade Morrow for Koivu, much less both. You want our top centerman and our top forward ever since last year's playoffs for someone the Stars have absolutely no interest in whatsoever.
Obviously you like tough players, so do I. But Koivu is one of the best centers in the league and makes everyone around him better. I know you didn't mean to compare him to Turgeon, so I'll ignore that. Koivu is a gritty player who is not afraid to get his nose dirty. If he had a couple big wingers or one big winger like Guerin, Koivu would be that much scarier and next to impossible to cover.

The deal doesn't make sense for either team, even though we do need toughness. Arnott I don't trust and I wouldn't be bragging about 49 points in 62 games if I were you.

Old
03-06-2004, 06:32 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Would you guys do this?

Koivu

for

Arnott + Morrow
Is this a trick question? Of course I'd do it...

Old
03-06-2004, 12:36 PM
MontrealCruiser_83*

When I posted this, I sort of realized that Koivu wasn't enough... But instead of adding players to the deal, I left it like that to see what type of reaction I would get. Dallas needs to rebuild... With the bulk of their players over 30, it makes little or no sense for them to trade a 25 year old fan favorite. However, if the Habs throw in a player like Ward and a 3rd or 4th pick, then perhaps things would even out.

Old
03-06-2004, 12:38 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Dallas needs to rebuild...
Sure thing.. the Stars are 5th in the West..

Old
03-06-2004, 12:58 PM
markov`

I won't give Koivu. This guy is so underrated, look at him in the playoffs and next year (I hope) with Kovalev. He will become a superstar in the NHL, all he needed was a guy like Kovy.

Old
03-06-2004, 01:03 PM
MontrealCruiser_83*

Quote:
Sure thing.. the Stars are 5th in the West..
6 forwards under 30 years old... 3 of which don't have a significant future in the NHL (Sloan, Downey, Kapanen,)... two others play a similar game (Ott, Morrow) and Arnott is a solid 2nd line center.

On defence, the only player under 30 is John Erksine, who still seems to be trying to find his spot in the top-6 of the stars...

I know that you can reload in free-agency, but with the impending CBA, now is as good a time as ever to build through the draft and let the youngsters grow in the minors while the NHL is on strike...

Closed Thread