HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would ya do it? (Trade)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-06-2004, 02:11 AM
  #1
MontrealCruiser_83*
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,487
vCash: 500
Would ya do it? (Trade)

Would you guys do this?

Koivu

for

Arnott + Morrow

It would give us a lineup similar to this:

Ryder-Ribeiro-Kovalev
Morrow-Arnott-Zednik
Ward-Begin-Dackell/Sunny
Langdon-Perrault/Juneau-Kilger/Dagenais
-----------------------------------------------------
We add top line grit for the playoffs and get younger...

MontrealCruiser_83* is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 02:22 AM
  #2
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealCruiser_83
Would you guys do this?

Koivu

for

Arnott + Morrow

It would give us a lineup similar to this:

Ryder-Ribeiro-Kovalev
Morrow-Arnott-Zednik
Ward-Begin-Dackell/Sunny
Langdon-Perrault/Juneau-Kilger/Dagenais
-----------------------------------------------------
We add top line grit for the playoffs and get younger...
I wouldn't mind having those players, but not for Koivu. I like playmakers. Without guys to handle the puck, we'd suck. Arnott is a slacker too, just like Kovy. Recipe for disaster if you ask me.

We definitely need to get tougher though. Slowly Gainey is doing it.

tinyzombies is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 03:04 AM
  #3
DirtyJeeves
Registered User
 
DirtyJeeves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Anderson, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 732
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DirtyJeeves
It's something I'd think long and hard about, before shooting down.

Morrow's a guy I'd love to see on this team, but at the expense of Koivu, I'm not too sure.

Just curious, did you put much thought into this as to why Dallas would go for it? I don't see them letting go of Morrow.

DirtyJeeves is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 03:08 AM
  #4
EaGLE1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,442
vCash: 500
We simply need to keep koivu, period

EaGLE1 is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 03:31 AM
  #5
Jeffrey
Registered User
 
Jeffrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,888
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Dallas wont do this deal !
and koivu will stay !

Jeffrey is online now  
Old
03-06-2004, 03:57 AM
  #6
Go Habs Go
Registered User
 
Go Habs Go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,448
vCash: 500
Of course I would do this deal! Are you kidding me? That's highway robbery!

Go Habs Go is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 04:03 AM
  #7
MeTaL4EvR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: On the road
Posts: 307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealCruiser_83
Would you guys do this?

Koivu

for

Arnott + Morrow

It would give us a lineup similar to this:

Ryder-Ribeiro-Kovalev
Morrow-Arnott-Zednik
Ward-Begin-Dackell/Sunny
Langdon-Perrault/Juneau-Kilger/Dagenais
-----------------------------------------------------
We add top line grit for the playoffs and get younger...

Morrow is the future captain of the Stars, he's already acting like one. He won't go anywhere, he is too much valuable for his team. Except if you offer really good stuff in return. And by the way Dallas would never do this trade ... Would you trade Higgins,Perozhogin, Kastitsyn for crap? No? You must think that there is another team involved in this deal ... I agree that it would be great to add more grit, but it's gonna cost a lot more then that to get even just Morrow.

ps : I'm not comparing Koivu to crap, it's just an example.

MeTaL4EvR is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 04:13 AM
  #8
MoeLemayStays
Registered User
 
MoeLemayStays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cowtown
Posts: 292
vCash: 500
Burn is right. Wake up, Morrow is going nowhere

MoeLemayStays is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 04:16 AM
  #9
Ajacied
Remember #9
 
Ajacied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 23,165
vCash: 500
The Stars wouldn't do either for Koivu. He isn't what they need.

Ajacied is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 04:23 AM
  #10
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
The Stars wouldn't do either for Koivu. He isn't what they need.
They'd be lucky to have Koivu. That would maximize Modano and Guerin. They have enough grinders and Arnott is a floater. Morrow is a nice player, but he's no Koivu.

tinyzombies is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 04:36 AM
  #11
Ajacied
Remember #9
 
Ajacied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 23,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
They'd be lucky to have Koivu. That would maximize Modano and Guerin. They have enough grinders and Arnott is a floater. Morrow is a nice player, but he's no Koivu.
No we don't. We don't need a soft, undersized playmaker. We barely have room for what has been our best forward of late, Pierre Turgeon. He brings the exact same qualites to the ice as Koivu does, making him completely unnecessary.

Arnott has not been a floater, how do you figure. Arnott has been the Stars top centerman this year, and has recently caught fire with his newly formed MAG line. He's dominant in the circle, is physical, plays defense and is utterly tough to guard. I know he's been deemed a floater for not playing motivated enough and such, and I know he's quite inconsistant, but he's been different this season, he's enjoying a very good season. He now has 49 points in 62 games, on pace for 65 and since the MAG line has been together (13 games), he has accumulated 18 points and has 12 in his last 7. I wouldn't trade Arnott for Koivu. We already have Turgeon, and Arnott is a great fit right now. This is no knock on Saku whatsoever.

Morrow sure ain't no Koivu, his style is the exact opposite. But as good as Arnie has been, Morrow has been better. He's playing on that very same MAG line and has scored 10 goals in those 13 games. But we've been there before, Morrow is not even open for discussions. We aren't the Senators with an average age of 19. The Stars are old and aging and Morrow is deemed as untouchable as it gets, projecting as our future Captain. Like Arnott, I wouldn't trade Morrow for Koivu, much less both. You want our top centerman and our top forward ever since last year's playoffs for someone the Stars have absolutely no interest in whatsoever.

Ajacied is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 04:46 AM
  #12
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
No we don't. We don't need a soft, undersized playmaker. We barely have room for what has been our best forward of late, Pierre Turgeon. He brings the exact same qualites to the ice as Koivu does, making him completely unnecessary.

Arnott has not been a floater, how do you figure. Arnott has been the Stars top centerman this year, and has recently caught fire with his newly formed MAG line. He's dominant in the circle, is physical, plays defense and is utterly tough to guard. I know he's been deemed a floater for not playing motivated enough and such, and I know he's quite inconsistant, but he's been different this season, he's enjoying a very good season. He now has 49 points in 62 games, on pace for 65 and since the MAG line has been together (13 games), he has accumulated 18 points and has 12 in his last 7. I wouldn't trade Arnott for Koivu. We already have Turgeon, and Arnott is a great fit right now. This is no knock on Saku whatsoever.

Morrow sure ain't no Koivu, his style is the exact opposite. But as good as Arnie has been, Morrow has been better. He's playing on that very same MAG line and has scored 10 goals in those 13 games. But we've been there before, Morrow is not even open for discussions. We aren't the Senators with an average age of 19. The Stars are old and aging and Morrow is deemed as untouchable as it gets, projecting as our future Captain. Like Arnott, I wouldn't trade Morrow for Koivu, much less both. You want our top centerman and our top forward ever since last year's playoffs for someone the Stars have absolutely no interest in whatsoever.
Obviously you like tough players, so do I. But Koivu is one of the best centers in the league and makes everyone around him better. I know you didn't mean to compare him to Turgeon, so I'll ignore that. Koivu is a gritty player who is not afraid to get his nose dirty. If he had a couple big wingers or one big winger like Guerin, Koivu would be that much scarier and next to impossible to cover.

The deal doesn't make sense for either team, even though we do need toughness. Arnott I don't trust and I wouldn't be bragging about 49 points in 62 games if I were you.

tinyzombies is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 06:32 AM
  #13
All-Star
Registered User
 
All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Snake Mountain
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealCruiser_83
Would you guys do this?

Koivu

for

Arnott + Morrow
Is this a trick question? Of course I'd do it...

All-Star is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 12:36 PM
  #14
MontrealCruiser_83*
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,487
vCash: 500
When I posted this, I sort of realized that Koivu wasn't enough... But instead of adding players to the deal, I left it like that to see what type of reaction I would get. Dallas needs to rebuild... With the bulk of their players over 30, it makes little or no sense for them to trade a 25 year old fan favorite. However, if the Habs throw in a player like Ward and a 3rd or 4th pick, then perhaps things would even out.

MontrealCruiser_83* is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 12:38 PM
  #15
Ajacied
Remember #9
 
Ajacied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 23,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealCruiser_83
Dallas needs to rebuild...
Sure thing.. the Stars are 5th in the West..

Ajacied is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 12:58 PM
  #16
markov`
Registered User
 
markov`'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Top 2 in the world
Posts: 3,647
vCash: 500
I won't give Koivu. This guy is so underrated, look at him in the playoffs and next year (I hope) with Kovalev. He will become a superstar in the NHL, all he needed was a guy like Kovy.

markov` is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 01:03 PM
  #17
MontrealCruiser_83*
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
Sure thing.. the Stars are 5th in the West..
6 forwards under 30 years old... 3 of which don't have a significant future in the NHL (Sloan, Downey, Kapanen,)... two others play a similar game (Ott, Morrow) and Arnott is a solid 2nd line center.

On defence, the only player under 30 is John Erksine, who still seems to be trying to find his spot in the top-6 of the stars...

I know that you can reload in free-agency, but with the impending CBA, now is as good a time as ever to build through the draft and let the youngsters grow in the minors while the NHL is on strike...

MontrealCruiser_83* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.