HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What would you give up for the 1st overall pick this year (i.e. Tavares)?

Old
01-08-2009, 01:00 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
No, Tavares/Hedman aren't good enough to warrant anything close to a Lindros-type return. They'll be great for whatever team drafts them, but won't be that good (Eric "the next one" Lindros)
I was listening to Bob Mackenzie on the radio a few days ago and he was talking about the draft and he agreed, stating very clearly that neither guy will be a generational talent.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Icetime

Let's get one thing straight. Tavares is not a generational talent. He will never be the best player in the NHL. Never.

Icetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Sens4Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
The truth is, nothing anyone can offer is going to be worth what Hedman/Tavares will do for the Islanders. A fresh, young face on a fast growing talented young team is not something you can trade for. If I'm Snow, the offer would have to be stupid nuts for any consideration of trading down.
I've got tons of confidence that the Sens will end up in last place at the end of the season. The Islanders don't really have enough fans to purposely trade people and tank, while the Sens have a fairly dedicated fanbase that would be okay with a rebuild in order to obtain a top pick. The Islanders need to try and win every game they can so they don't rack up bigger losses every year.

Sens4Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 02:46 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaio19 View Post
That's probably the only offer I've ever seen which is actually LESS than it would take to get the pick. Nylander, Clark and Theodore have little/no trade value and especially no value to a team which would be drafting 1st overall and need young solid/star players.
Somebody has to even out the balance.

Nylander, Theodore and Clark at this point for a 7th would be a win for the Caps. And even though they're shallow at center Tavares isn't the type of guy they need with OV already there.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!

Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
I'm still not too sure of Tavares. He feels like a Stamkos to me, someone who would only produce if he had really good linemates, and I dunno if he's gonna get the neccessary in the first few teams. I'm not saying Hedman should be the 1st pick, but I'm saying I'd rather have a really good defenseman (regardless of nationality) than a forward mostly known for scoring powerplay goals (which is of course important, but i prior defense much higher).

However forwards like Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin are different because they are the new #66 and #99 basically, but I don't think Tavares is anywhere near that star status.

Lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 06:24 PM
mm6492

Lindros would have been one of the 3 best of all time if he had stayed healthy and had normal parents

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:22 PM
D3ADLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Aurumque View Post
Ilya Kovalchuk.
if thrash throw in there 1st with kovalchuk.. then its a done deal

D3ADLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Harrison Ford

Hypothetically speaking, i think Parise and a first would do it.

Harrison Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 08:38 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrepeterson View Post
Quebec did it with Lindros.
ummm.....you do know Lindros refused to play with the Nords right?

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 08:44 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison Ford View Post
Hypothetically speaking, i think Parise and a first would do it.
Is it fair? Yes! Will it be done? Not a chance. Tavares will go #1 to the Isles imo and that would be a massive disaster in the PR department if they dealt that pick for that package. Unless the Isles are getting a Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin type player in return, the pick will stay in Isles' hands.

There was a bit of an uproar last draft day when the Isles traded down twice passing in Filatov, Schenn and Hodgson along the way. If they piss away Tavares, the fans might abandon the team. This is not saying that Tavares is guaranteed to be better than Parise but Tavares gives the franchise hope and future. The excitement of having the first pick in a draft and getting a potential generational talent in Tavares could bring the fans back to the Island.

Old
01-09-2009, 08:49 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4Cup View Post
I've got tons of confidence that the Sens will end up in last place at the end of the season. The Islanders don't really have enough fans to purposely trade people and tank, while the Sens have a fairly dedicated fanbase that would be okay with a rebuild in order to obtain a top pick. The Islanders need to try and win every game they can so they don't rack up bigger losses every year.
This really makes no sense to me at all. What is the difference on whether or not you have a fan base, both teams suck and imo the Isles suck alot more. The Sens will likely move nobody while the Isles might deal their two leading scorers in Weight and Guerin. The Isles don't have an Alfie or Spezza or Heatley so you would think if a team wants to tank for Tavares they would be the ones with more incentive. BTW, the Sens just need the 2nd overall pick because they have no business taking Tavares, they need Hedman badly.

Old
01-09-2009, 08:58 AM
BigCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
BTW, the Sens just need the 2nd overall pick because they have no business taking Tavares, they need Hedman badly.
No, we have Eric Karlsson coming to shore up our D (the better defenceman, who played with Hedman on Sweden, named the tournament's top defenceman), so we have a solid prospect coming on D. What the Sens don't have is a blue chip scoring forward in the system. That is why we have no business taking Hedman, despite his talents, and MUST take Tavares, if presented with that choice.

A dream is - Sign JayBo, draft Tavares, and the rebuild/retool is very close to done. If we can draft Tavares, that is one part taken care of, the harder one would be convincing JayBo to come play in the spotlight, for a team that finished last this year, despite having some elite talent, and a bright future... It's good to dream, as it is really all you have when you are hoping for a last place finish...

BigCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 09:04 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanadian View Post
No, we have Eric Karlsson coming to shore up our D (the better defenceman, who played with Hedman on Sweden, named the tournament's top defenceman), so we have a solid prospect coming on D. What the Sens don't have is a blue chip scoring forward in the system. That is why we have no business taking Hedman, despite his talents, and MUST take Tavares, if presented with that choice.

A dream is - Sign JayBo, draft Tavares, and the rebuild/retool is very close to done. If we can draft Tavares, that is one part taken care of, the harder one would be convincing JayBo to come play in the spotlight, for a team that finished last this year, despite having some elite talent, and a bright future... It's good to dream, as it is really all you have when you are hoping for a last place finish...
You really don't have a clue if you think Karlsson is a better dman than Hedman just because of their play at the WJC. Hedman is all world talent and a potential Norris trophy winner. Karlsson is a "good" prospect but Hedman will be a serious impact player. Also take into consideration that Karlsson may not even make the club next season (acutally alot of people feel this way) whereas Hedman will likely step right in.

The Sens might take Tavares if they had the first pick but they would be making a massive mistake in the process. Hedman will help your team alot more than Tavares would. Think about how much you miss Chara right now? Hedman will very likely have the type of impact.

Old
01-09-2009, 11:06 AM
RocheBag

Send a message via AIM to RocheBag Send a message via MSN to RocheBag
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsin2010 View Post
if thrash throw in there 1st with kovalchuk.. then its a done deal
Wow is Tavares ever overrated...

Kovalchuk >>> Tavares

RocheBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:37 PM
BigCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
You really don't have a clue if you think Karlsson is a better dman than Hedman just because of their play at the WJC. Hedman is all world talent and a potential Norris trophy winner. Karlsson is a "good" prospect but Hedman will be a serious impact player. Also take into consideration that Karlsson may not even make the club next season (acutally alot of people feel this way) whereas Hedman will likely step right in.

The Sens might take Tavares if they had the first pick but they would be making a massive mistake in the process. Hedman will help your team alot more than Tavares would. Think about how much you miss Chara right now? Hedman will very likely have the type of impact.
All I said was Karlsson was better at the WJCs. He is our best prospect currently, without question, and was a steal for Ottawa last year.

Hedman is going to be good, no doubt, but unless he was actually injured (which is what the speculation is) then he was very unimpressive at the tournament. If he can't elevate his game at the WJC, then it draws questions about his ability to do it at the NHL in a few years... If he was injured during the game with the Russians as speculated, then I can give him a pass for now, otherwise, a Chara/Pronger he may never be... The Sens will take the best player available, and to me, that is Tavares.

The fact is the Sens have no blue chip offensive prospects at all. With Karlsson coming, they have a much more solid pool of D in the system (Lee, Picard, Karlsson, Weircioch etc...) and no one coming to help replace Alfie's offense when he retires in a few years.

The Sens keep losing in the playoffs, when the checking gets tighter and their big 3 are shut down. Depending on Fisher, Vermette, Kelly and the rest of our 3rd liners to put the puck in the net is just not realistic. We need a solid secondary scoring threat, and Tavares would be that threat for years to come. As we have seen, this year, we haven't even been able to score in the regular season, and we aren't even in the tight checking playoffs yet (and won't be).

Tavares is the right choice for Ottawa for multiple reasons.

Old
01-09-2009, 12:41 PM
West Coast Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocheBag View Post
Wow is Tavares ever overrated...

Kovalchuk >>> Tavares
7+ years of Tavares >>> 1 year of Kovalchuk

West Coast Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Highbrow
Alfie, Alfie, Alfie!

Weighing in on Ottawa's potential Hedman vs. Tavares decision,

If Ottawa has #1 pick on draft day, they need to take Hedman (maybe they could drop to #2 and take him but I doubt any GM is foolish enough to move up if they think Ottawa wants Hedman anyway)! Sure, Tavares will be a force to be reckoned with but Ottawa is shored up (currently) in the big three spots. Hedman will likely immediately make Ottawa's roster and be an excellent addition to an already sterling future defense core that consists of Karlsson (#1), Lee, Weircioch, and Karlsson (#2; stretching a little with Mattias but I like him as a prospect).

If Tavares is chosen because Ottawa needs secondary scoring, he is the wrong choice. Tavares, though I don't think he'll ever be #1 in the league, will not be a second line player for the majority of his career and adding him to Ottawa's second line (currently) will be a disaster (see Stamkos' early production). Obviously, they would split up the big 3 and see if Tavares gets chemistry with any of them but I like the idea of having Hedman on the backend next year as opposed to Tavares being shuffled around the forward roster.

I've been crossing my fingers for Hedman for a long time and I hope they select him on draft day.

Highbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:59 PM
BigCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnkd View Post
Obviously, they would split up the big 3 and see if Tavares gets chemistry with any of them but I like the idea of having Hedman on the backend next year as opposed to Tavares being shuffled around the forward roster.
A valid opinion and while we disagree on the choice, I can see where you are coming from. I still believe we need secondary scoring more, now that we have Karlsson coming in a year or 2, and this year is over, and although I like Hedman, I would rather have Tavares in our top 6.

As you pointed out above, I believe it would be:

Heatley-Spezza-X
X-Tavares-Alfredsson

That gives you 2 solid lines IMO (or a start towards it), and that is where I think we need the most improvement. Our D still needs improvement, but at least there is some light at the end of that tunnel with the development of Lee & Picard and with Karlsson coming...