HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carter to the Wing

Old
01-07-2009, 05:35 AM
chaosof99*

vCash: 500
Carter to the Wing

I think we can all agree that this road trip was terrible. We only scored 10 goals in 6 games but thanks to the uncanny ability of this club to play (mostly) up or down to their opponents, we still managed 2-2-2 and half the points available.

We are certainly a much better home team than road team, most easily exemplified by our power-play statistic, but our offense has very often not looked very good. The constant changes in lines due to injuries weren't really helping either. There certainly needs some more observation to be done when the team is somewhat healthy again.

However, there also lies the crux of the matter. With Brière on the horizon there is a ton of speculation going on how to staff the lines. At the beginning of the season it was experimented with Brière on the wing, but that did not work out as well as we hoped it would.

Something we have never really contemplated is putting Jeff Carter on the wing. I know he has some experience in that position as he played Wing in the World Junior Championship tournaments he participated in.

As much as I liked the Olde City line of Hartnell, Carter and Lupul, something that annoyed me a bit about it is that Carter once again does not really have a set-up man on his side. I think Brière or Richards could equally well function in that position. And of course it would be very interesting what Richards and Carter could do together supposing the end of the game against Phoenix and the Overtime was any indication of that.

Might this work?

Gagné - Richards - Carter
Hartnell - Brière - Lupul
Upshall - Metropolit - Knuble
Cote - Powe - Asham

As a sidenote, when Giroux returns from his concussion, I'd have no problem in this configuration to trade away Knuble, put Lupul on Metro's wing and Giroux on Brière's.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 05:43 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I don't think you can move a player who is having a career season to another position to experiment. Just my $0.02

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 06:16 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
haven't we already tried carter at wing before? and he's finally got some steady linemates in lupul and hartnell. i say let the line gel before we take behind the shed. it was hot for a while and it can heat up again when lupul gets back.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 07:31 AM
PlantersOye

I don't see why breaking up Carter with Hartnell and Lupul would be any better.

PlantersOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 07:32 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I don't think you can move a player who is having a career season to another position to experiment. Just my $0.02
Yea thats what Id say.
But, Gagne - Richards - Carter would be absolutely amazing.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 07:41 AM
Terence Peterman

been there, done that. if it was ever going to get tried again it won't (please don't, stevens) be now.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 08:17 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

No. He's clearly developing as one of the best centres in the game. We now have two players that fit that description. Why blow apart our biggest strength?

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 08:31 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
haven't we already tried carter at wing before? and he's finally got some steady linemates in lupul and hartnell. i say let the line gel before we take behind the shed. it was hot for a while and it can heat up again when lupul gets back.
Carter's never been moved to wing, at least for any kind of period of time that I can remember. Now, I've suggested it myself since Briere is the kind of guy Carter needs to set him up...BUT, we can't split up Lupul Hartnell and Carter yet.

Briere will just have to play on the 3rd line unless the Knuble-Gagne-Richards line gets split.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 08:32 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Yea thats what Id say.
But, Gagne - Richards - Carter would be absolutely amazing.
It'd be putting all of our eggs in one basket though essentially.

Gotta spread the wealth son.

Old
Gert B Frobe

no no no no Carter needs to play C

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BrindamoursNose

Anddd lastly: I think Giroux with Carter would be great.

Old
01-07-2009, 08:45 AM
Kaktus*

A few things Carter has to improve:

Try to pass instead of taking bad angle shots.
Improve on face offs.
Play a little more physical.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 09:12 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
I think we can all agree that this road trip was terrible. We only scored 10 goals in 6 games but thanks to the uncanny ability of this club to play (mostly) up or down to their opponents, we still managed 2-2-2 and half the points available.

We are certainly a much better home team than road team, most easily exemplified by our power-play statistic, but our offense has very often not looked very good. The constant changes in lines due to injuries weren't really helping either. There certainly needs some more observation to be done when the team is somewhat healthy again.

However, there also lies the crux of the matter. With Brière on the horizon there is a ton of speculation going on how to staff the lines. At the beginning of the season it was experimented with Brière on the wing, but that did not work out as well as we hoped it would.

Something we have never really contemplated is putting Jeff Carter on the wing. I know he has some experience in that position as he played Wing in the World Junior Championship tournaments he participated in.

As much as I liked the Olde City line of Hartnell, Carter and Lupul, something that annoyed me a bit about it is that Carter once again does not really have a set-up man on his side. I think Brière or Richards could equally well function in that position. And of course it would be very interesting what Richards and Carter could do together supposing the end of the game against Phoenix and the Overtime was any indication of that.

Might this work?

Cote - Powe - Asham

As a sidenote, when Giroux returns from his concussion, I'd have no problem in this configuration to trade away Knuble, put Lupul on Metro's wing and Giroux on Brière's.
What??? You mean we are having some trouble scoring??? Who said we need Briere

Honestly, I rather move Briere to the wing than Carter. If you move Carter we have absolutely NO size down the middle.....He may not be agressive and throw his size around very much, but he does use it to his advantage.

If Giroux/Nodl or someone else shows they can put up some offense with Briere leave the top two lines as is (when healthy) and have a third line of Upshall Briere Giroux/Nodl

I know people were a little down on Nodl cause he didnt put up many points but this guy can pass the puck as well as anyone on this team.....Play him regularly with someone that can do something with the puck once they get it (like Briere) he could start becoming effective. Upshall can keep up speed wise and do the dirty work for the line.

Or you can always try the Briere to wing thing again....

We need to remember that this is a GOOD problem to have....When this forward group is healthy there are many combinations that can be put together and they are pretty deep 1-9

With that said, by some little chance if Carter to wing was considered, I would put him with Richards and Hartnell and move Gagne to play with Briere.....Spread the wealth

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
A few things Carter has to improve:

Try to pass instead of taking bad angle shots.
Improve on face offs.
Play a little more physical.
One thing I'd like to see from Carter is a little more discipline regarding line changes, especially on the PK. I understand he's a horse, but he has a tendency to stay on the ice after he gets it dumped in and ends up getting pinned in his own zone because he's tired. Watch Richards, it's usually one dump and change.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Banger

You move Briere and leave Carter alone. Carter is much better defensively and you want that big body with the big wing span in the middle of the ice against top lines. He needs to improve on his faceoffs but he's a terrific center.

Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 11:15 AM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
why would you move the league's leading goal scorer to an unfamiliar position?

NO

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Cartered

Send a message via AIM to Cartered Send a message via MSN to Cartered
Yeah, nothing will fire the team up like breaking up its most productive line and moving its most productive player to a completely different position.

Cartered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
first of all 2-2-2 on a 6 game road trip that spanned the entire country and back against some damn good teams while we have guys dropping left and right due to injuried is not bad at all. I went into the trip hoping for 3-3 even if we were healthy and 2-2-2 is the same thing as 3-3 and with the injuries i have no problem with it.

oh yeah...Carter at Center!

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 11:21 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Carter was briefly a winger to Forsberg in his rookie season after returning from mono, if I remember correctly....

He belongs at centre. As he learns to use his size more effectively, he'll become one of the most dominant centres in the league. There's no reason to experiment with Carter on the wing to accomodate Briere.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 11:37 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
No. He's clearly developing as one of the best centres in the game. We now have two players that fit that description. Why blow apart our biggest strength?
Agreed, he needs to stay at center. He is turning into a guy who plays excellent defensively and wins draws.

However, Lupul is out for a little while now, so we do need to mix up that line. Bring Upshall back up to the line, he's playing with a little more fire right now.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 11:44 AM
rizface

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post

Might this work?

Cote - Powe - Asham

as a poster mentioned, you don't mess with a player with a career year. You're complaining about the lack of goals production from the team, but you go right ahead and make this line -up a 2 line team rather than a 3 line team. Knuble and Upshall are WORTHLESS playing with Metro. You need 3 scoring lines as opposed to 2 especially if you have the players to do it. That 3rd line is just a waste of space....no clear role on the team. Are they a shutdown line? not really ....scoring line? nope

and 2-2-2 isn't a bad record on the road trip ESPECIALLY after how they started and the lack of manpower due to injuries.

rizface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 12:00 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
However, Lupul is out for a little while now, so we do need to mix up that line. Bring Upshall back up to the line, he's playing with a little more fire right now.
Upshall is on that line right now.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 12:38 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Carter's never been moved to wing, at least for any kind of period of time that I can remember. Now, I've suggested it myself since Briere is the kind of guy Carter needs to set him up...BUT, we can't split up Lupul Hartnell and Carter yet.

Briere will just have to play on the 3rd line unless the Knuble-Gagne-Richards line gets split.
Carter has played on the wing before. They tried to put him at wing when Forsberg was here. Dont think it lasted though.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 01:57 PM
BATJAM

Hartnell-Richards-Carter
Gagne-Briere-Knuble
Upshall-Metropolit-Lupul

BATJAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 02:52 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Carter was briefly a winger to Forsberg in his rookie season after returning from mono, if I remember correctly....

He belongs at centre. As he learns to use his size more effectively, he'll become one of the most dominant centres in the league. There's no reason to experiment with Carter on the wing to accomodate Briere.
For like 2 games if I remember right

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Agreed, he needs to stay at center. He is turning into a guy who plays excellent defensively and wins draws.

When Briere comes back put him in Lupul's spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATJAM View Post
Hartnell-Richards-Carter
Gagne-Briere-Knuble
Upshall-Metropolit-Lupul
Knuble and Briere should never be on the same line and Carter needs to stay at center

Without Lupul and with Briere I go with

Gagne Richards Knuble
Hartnell Carter Briere

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote