HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#40 -- Flyers at Capitals -- January 6, 2009 -- 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
01-07-2009, 11:47 AM
chaosof99*

vCash: 500

I love how Carter looks back in disbelief of what just happened

Last edited by chaosof99*: 01-07-2009 at 12:25 PM.
chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 11:50 AM
mrv52
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizface View Post
difference is hatcher didn't charge ( take more than 3-4 strides for a check) while Ovechkin took like 7 full strides at Carter.

if there was no instigator rule, Ovechkin would have been taught a lesson, but no Gary dumbass POS Bettman has to protect the hockeymom image of the league. what an idiot.
He was clearly gliding into Carter from at least the blueline in.

Try again.

mrv52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrv52 View Post
He was clearly gliding into Carter from at least the blueline in.

Try again.
and then jumped to make sure he didn't accidentally catch him with a glancing knee. You put your own body at risk not to hurt somebody, and people call you out on it.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 12:06 PM
AaronTrieu

He was gliding, but he looks like he left his feet still trying to catch Carter high. If Carter didn't see him coming it would have been a clean play. Since Carter avoided the check, Ovie left his feet slightly to try to catch at least a piece of him so he didn't get beat cleanly. Ovie gambled and lost. I still love his style of play. He is a super skilled version of Upshall.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 12:28 PM
chaosof99*

I replaced the video with a longer version including replays.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 01:00 PM
kicksave27

One whole day after boarding jamie heward and being so apologetic about it, saying he "doesn't want to hurt anyone and didn't feel like hitting anyone right now" He tries to knockout jeff carter. There's a difference between playing physical and being a head hunter looking for big hits. Forsberg and leclaire were both physical forwards, who were physical with a purpose, usually giving hits while keeping control of the puck. One time he's going to go at someone and miss, nail the boards and give him self a concussion or worse, and I'll be sad. If he doesn't play smarter, he won't last the length of his contract.

as with everything, it comes back to Mike Richards, who knows when to hit and knows when to play smart and take a hit to make a play. There's a guy who needs to have is own hockey school.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 01:19 PM
DjsIzzy

Send a message via AIM to DjsIzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
and then jumped to make sure he didn't accidentally catch him with a glancing knee. You put your own body at risk not to hurt somebody, and people call you out on it.
leaving his feet to try and protect carter from a glancing knee? That doesn't make any sense...last I checked it was illegal to leave your feet on a hit, because it leads to more injuries (shoulder into chin = concussion, and lord knows we've had enough problems with those in this franchise)

DjsIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 01:23 PM
TOCxNJ

Quote:
What? Your post is laughable. what did you watch? he didn't jump until after they made contact. Watch the replay. I hardly see OV "jump out of the way" haha. Damn , how you can not SEE that. Especially when there's a replay in slow motion. All you have to do is watch...I really don't understand how people can see things incorrectly like this.

I love ovechkin but he tried to destroy carter there.

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 01:41 PM
TOCxNJ

Game was actually better than I expected. We're banged up, at the end of a road trip, didn't really look as sluggish as I thought we would.

Jones looked terrible tonight to me again. I really thought he would have stepped up by now and start making some smarter decisions. I know he was injured but he is making rookie mistakes again...just my 2 cents.

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCxNJ View Post
Game was actually better than I expected. We're banged up, at the end of a road trip, didn't really look as sluggish as I thought we would.

Jones looked terrible tonight to me again. I really thought he would have stepped up by now and start making some smarter decisions. I know he was injured but he is making rookie mistakes again...just my 2 cents.
I'm sure the injuries are affecting his play physically, but the poor decision-making is right where he left off. Last night was particularly bad.

He's clearly a third pairing defenseman on this team, and at 2.75M you are just killing yourself against the cap by having him in that role...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCxNJ View Post

For a low scoring game, that was a damn good game of hockey. Could've went either way. Both goalies did a hell of a job, and for the most part everyone else did theirs. I am in no way dissappointed about the loss. We got a point where I wasn't expecting one, so that in itself is great.

The whole Jones thing is like beating a dead horse. How people on here can continue to see through his mistakes is beyond me. I'm just dealing with him until I eventually don't have to anymore.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 01:58 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
They should give upshall a chance in the shootouts. He's got quite a few moves that i've seen when he gets the chance on a breakaway
Yeah, he can be pretty creative with it, Carter (and Richards, really) are just trying the same old moves now, nothing creative.

Ah well.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Kambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Yeah, he can be pretty creative with it, Carter (and Richards, really) are just trying the same old moves now, nothing creative.

Ah well.
Don't forget Gagne. I'll argue that I haven't seen Carter in enough shootouts to say he's doing the same thing, but Richards and Gagne are certainly getting found out.

Old
01-07-2009, 02:13 PM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

You'd think with the amount of shootouts we have that'd we be better by now.

teegale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 02:19 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
For a low scoring game, that was a damn good game of hockey. Could've went either way. Both goalies did a hell of a job, and for the most part everyone else did theirs. I am in no way dissappointed about the loss. We got a point where I wasn't expecting one, so that in itself is great.

The whole Jones thing is like beating a dead horse. How people on here can continue to see through his mistakes is beyond me. I'm just dealing with him until I eventually don't have to anymore.
Jones had some bad mistakes, but Carle had the worst of the turnovers. He's been a lot better, so I'll let him off with the one bad game. Sbisa looks okay as a forward, but he was decent as a d-man. If we're not okay with him developing there, send him back down, because I think he's a future 1 or 2. Seriously.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Kambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Jones had some bad mistakes, but Carle had the worst of the turnovers. He's been a lot better, so I'll let him off with the one bad game. Sbisa looks okay as a forward, but he was decent as a d-man. If we're not okay with him developing there, send him back down, because I think he's a future 1 or 2. Seriously.
See the thing with Jones is consistency. Carle hasn't been consistently been making the same terrible mistakes time and again. I can see the good in Jones, it's just the bad outweighs the good far more. I'm actually starting to think that maybe a change of scenery might be good for him. There's the chance that since he's been playing with a majority of the young guys for years now, he hasn't realized his mistakes as much, and therefore hasn't been able to correct them. Maybe playing with different guys in a different system would help him. Just my two cents.

Old
01-07-2009, 02:53 PM
PlantersOye

Smart play by both Ovechkin and Carter, simultaneously. Ovechkin wanted to get rid of competition and that was a legitimate attempt at hitting Carter. Carter dodged it (hence his fall) and squeezed through, if I may. Other then that, both are smart players.

PlantersOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 03:03 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
I don't remember Carle's miscue.

At any rate, in the NHL you never know who is playing in what pain and how it effects their play. Over the past two years, Hatcher and Rathje have been torn into on this board when, unbeknownst to many of us (and some people just didn't care), both were playing with pain that would have made most of us struggle to pick a dime up off the kitchen floor (or the Dining Hall floor, for the really smart people here LOL).

So you never know.

As for Sbisa, I'd rather have him playing forward here than defense with amateurs. And I agree - he's gonna be a good one.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Kaktus*

What about Clarke? Is he out?

He got up fast after that hit.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 03:15 PM
kicksave27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
What about Clarke? Is he out?

He got up fast after that hit.
he's another cheap shot artist. He knocked desjardins out cold with a boarding in 04.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 03:17 PM
wahoowa
All in the Game

Quote:
Is this serious? Ovechkin was trying to destroy Carter, and there is certainly nothing wrong with that considering this is hockey. I'm a little confused as to why Caps fans are on this board...

wahoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 03:29 PM
mm6492

I hate crosby, malikin and most superstars

But I love ovie, how he is not afraid to hit and play the right way.

He is like upshall, except with 3000X's the amount of talent

no offense scottie

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Kambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
I don't remember Carle's miscue.

At any rate, in the NHL you never know who is playing in what pain and how it effects their play. Over the past two years, Hatcher and Rathje have been torn into on this board when, unbeknownst to many of us (and some people just didn't care), both were playing with pain that would have made most of us struggle to pick a dime up off the kitchen floor (or the Dining Hall floor, for the really smart people here LOL).

So you never know.

As for Sbisa, I'd rather have him playing forward here than defense with amateurs. And I agree - he's gonna be a good one.
I'm actually pleasantly surprised with Sbisa on offense. I know he hasn't done too much, but you can see he has the potential there. He's snakebit right now, but I'm confident the floodgates will open eventually. Not saying he'll be putting up mad goals, just that he'll be a nice offensive touch one day.

Old
01-07-2009, 03:32 PM
JGalt

Love Ovechkin for trying to throw hits like that. Wish more star players would. Very, very glad Carter got out of the way.

JGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 03:34 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Dude, you have GOT to be kidding me. You are reaching Jaded Fan/Sidney Crosby level absurdity here.

I love Ovechkin as a player. Most Philly fans do. But Ovechkin was trying to obliterate Jeff Carter, and it would have been a clean hit had he made contact except for he fact that he launched himself like a rocket.

He just needs to keep his feet on the ice.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote