HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1-6-09 Avs at Preds 6 PM MT

Old
01-06-2009, 09:18 PM
ColoradoHockeyFan

vCash: 500
Look, with less than 2:00 left, this is a perfect time for one of our patented pass-the-puck-around-purposelessly power plays.

ColoradoHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:19 PM
NHL33*

Wow, Rinne. He was on fire.

Good game by Raycroft.

Lucky for the Avs all around pretty much. Excellent play by Wolski on both ends.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:19 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 6908
That Rinne save was awesome.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:21 PM
crucifux

man i was hoping wolski could get the hat trick

crucifux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHockeyFan View Post
That block notwithstanding, I actually think that's one thing that he can often be pretty effective at... the shots from the point.
Really? I think he's terrible at getting shots on net. Nine times out of ten he puts the puck on the defender's stick or into his shin pads.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:22 PM
shadow1

Raycroft: 7-1-0.

Budaj: 13-18-1.

Hmm, who do we start? The "Boods" supporters can come up with whatever load of crap they want; the fact of the matter is both goalies are nothing more than gap stops. However, Raycroft has a record way over .500, and Budaj's is way under.

It's time to give him some more games. What do the Avs have to lose (aside from more games)?

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:26 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
2 games in a row against the preds where they have gotten all the bounces. Wojtek has been superb the last 2 games the dumbass TG thought putting Arnason between those 2 (Hejduk, Smyth) would be a good idea Raycroft needs a new glove got away with what would have been a candidate for worse goal of the yr had it not gone off the cross bar. If we can get Svatos and Hensick going a little better we might be ok...btw wats Arnasons goalless streak at? Win against the Gawks that would be impressive

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Avsboy

I

Want

Tavares!

Avsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:33 PM
ABasin
Crow is yummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hekic42 View Post
I agree, two games is too few to really know how he's going to do in the long term. However, he's been head and shoulders above everyone else on the roster. There's no reason for Arnason to see any more time on the first line even if Wolski is inconsistent.
You'll get no argument from me there. Arnason is useless.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:38 PM
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
You'll get no argument from me there. Arnason is useless.

-AB
We should double shift Wolly with Hejduk/Smyth, then Svatos/Jones. Arnason can assist our trainer on the ice and help out if there is an issue with the glass.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Frenchy
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
We should double shift Wolly with Hejduk/Smyth, then Svatos/Jones. Arnason can assist our trainer on the ice and help out if there is an issue with the glass.
I wouldnt even let him drive the Zamboni

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Raycroft: 7-1-0.

Budaj: 13-18-1.

Hmm, who do we start? The "Boods" supporters can come up with whatever load of crap they want; the fact of the matter is both goalies are nothing more than gap stops. However, Raycroft has a record way over .500, and Budaj's is way under.

It's time to give him some more games. What do the Avs have to lose (aside from more games)?
With how inconsistent this team is, do you really think their record would be that much better if the starting goalies were reversed? Neither goalie does anything spectacular, and it's a toss up whether the team will show up for either of them... plus if you look at who Raycroft has beaten, and when, it's almost entirely against teams that were at their very worst, and against teams that were playing in the second of back to back games that included travel. Dallas was last in the conference, Philly hadn't won a game, Tampa was dead last in the league. You're reading a lot into a small sample size without looking at the situational bits.

I think if they play Raycroft as the starter, we'll still see the same inconsistency from the rest of the team. There were lots of games this season that Budaj played really well in and the rest of the team just didn't show up for, losing because the offense couldn't get their job done, or the whole team just allowing the other guys to spend the entire game on a 5 on 5 powerplay. By all means, they should give Raycroft a try as the starter, but don't expect the avs to start winning 7 out of 8 games, especially when they've only got one line that can score.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim View Post
2 games in a row against the preds where they have gotten all the bounces. Wojtek has been superb the last 2 games the dumbass TG thought putting Arnason between those 2 (Hejduk, Smyth) would be a good idea Raycroft needs a new glove got away with what would have been a candidate for worse goal of the yr had it not gone off the cross bar. If we can get Svatos and Hensick going a little better we might be ok...btw wats Arnasons goalless streak at? Win against the Gawks that would be impressive
Nah, the worst goal of the year for him was the 1st goal he allowed against Phoenix recently... the shot that was going to go over the net by a foot or more and he tried to stop it with the glove and ended up redirecting it into the net.

Old
01-06-2009, 09:55 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
With how inconsistent this team is, do you really think their record would be that much better if the starting goalies were reversed? Neither goalie does anything spectacular, and it's a toss up whether the team will show up for either of them... plus if you look at who Raycroft has beaten, and when, it's almost entirely against teams that were at their very worst, and against teams that were playing in the second of back to back games that included travel. Dallas was last in the conference, Philly hadn't won a game, Tampa was dead last in the league. You're reading a lot into a small sample size without looking at the situational bits.

I think if they play Raycroft as the starter, we'll still see the same inconsistency from the rest of the team. There were lots of games this season that Budaj played really well in and the rest of the team just didn't show up for, losing because the offense couldn't get their job done, or the whole team just allowing the other guys to spend the entire game on a 5 on 5 powerplay. By all means, they should give Raycroft a try as the starter, but don't expect the avs to start winning 7 out of 8 games, especially when they've only got one line that can score.
Nope. But it doesn't hurt to do it now. Budaj's record is 2-6-0 in his last 8 games. Not saying it's his fault, but a switch up in net might change things up a bit every where else.

Old
01-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Nope. But it doesn't hurt to do it now. Budaj's record is 2-6-0 in his last 8 games. Not saying it's his fault, but a switch up in net might change things up a bit every where else.
It could happen, I just think the team has much bigger problems than goaltending. Even with a top goalie, I think they'd struggle to break .500.

Old
01-06-2009, 10:22 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
It could happen, I just think the team has much bigger problems than goaltending. Even with a top goalie, I think they'd struggle to break .500.
Oh yeah, for sure. No checking line center, and inconsistency out of it's scorers. Not to mention the horrible power play and a few gross contracts.

I'm just saying when in Rome. My bluntness on the matter is a result of the negative comments I received when making a thread on the matter a while back.

Old
01-06-2009, 11:02 PM
SB

Quote:
Leopold got caught in the neutral zone and gave Nashville a two on one. Nashville's goal wasn't Hensick's fault.

Could be ... it isn't the first time he's been a step behind getting back, though. And Mark Rycroft pointed it out in the postgame tape. But he could be wrong too.

SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:03 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Maybe I was tired from work, but I honestly caught myself nodding off twice during the game. The beginning was decent, and Wolski was worth watching all game, but for the most part, this was two bad teams playing some bad hockey.

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:05 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB View Post
Could be ... it isn't the first time he's been a step behind getting back, though. And Mark Rycroft pointed it out in the postgame tape. But he could be wrong too.
It doesn't really matter in the end, since they'll both get punished and Clark will take some more of Leopolds minutes and Arnason will take more of Hensicks minutes. It's all part of Granatos master plan to have Arny and Clark play the whole game eventually.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB View Post
Hensick is bad about getting back to his net more often than I'd like, but I'm not going to fault him for a two on one.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Stories
Science!

Wolski

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:37 PM
ColoradoHockeyFan

Quote:
Really? I think he's terrible at getting shots on net. Nine times out of ten he puts the puck on the defender's stick or into his shin pads.
Yeah, I guess I've not seen it as that bad. And as poorly as he's played this year, I realize there's a risk of just seeing this one aspect of his game as good, simply because it's not as bad as some of the other things he's done this season. But I really think his point shot isn't that bad. It just needs to be used more, like with all of our d-men (though that has been better recently).

ColoradoHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 07:29 AM
chiavsfan

I think all of our "point" guys on the PP take too much time to decide if they are going to launch on net. Liles is the worst (though it's gotten better lately)...he winds up two to three times before he finally decides to shoot. Clark isn't AS bad, but is also hesitant. Salei is more of a wrister from the point guy. Leo launches, but he plays down the half boards alot.

This team is missing the "I don't care where it goes, I just hope it heads towards the net" quick trigger shot like Blake.

Has anyone noticed the D-corps seems to play better when Foote is out? Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I remember the D playing better when he had his injury problem earlier this year

chiavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 07:34 AM
ABasin
Crow is yummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
Maybe I was tired from work, but I honestly caught myself nodding off twice during the game. The beginning was decent, and Wolski was worth watching all game, but for the most part, this was two bad teams playing some bad hockey.
Well, the Avs did do their best Ken-Hitchcock-hockey impression in the 3rd period last night.

High-end NHL skills were not on display en masse last night, no. :-)

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 10:10 AM
SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiavsfan View Post

Has anyone noticed the D-corps seems to play better when Foote is out? Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I remember the D playing better when he had his injury problem earlier this year
Yes, I have.

SB is offline   Reply With Quote