HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1/6/09 "The McCable Guy" - Panthers VS. Maple Leafs

View Poll Results: Which team blows the other away?
Panthers 19 90.48%
Maple Leafs 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2009, 11:37 AM
zeroG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Liked the game. Still cant believe we cant play 60mins of hockey. That SH goal really shouldnt ever happen. Why wasnt Weiss given a penalty shot?
you mean you "still can't believe we can't eliminate every single shot/scoring chance/pass from every team in the league for 60 minutes"?

unbelievable. they played 60 minutes. you know those things in blue shirts weren't stiffs... well, actually, they pretty much were last night but they actually woke up and decided to play hockey for a few minutes. in general though, playing 60 minutes does not mean eliminating every single opportunity. the other 29 teams in the league have some decent players who have a say in that, you know.

Old
01-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
you mean you "still can't believe we can't eliminate every single shot/scoring chance/pass from every team in the league for 60 minutes"?

unbelievable. they played 60 minutes. you know those things in blue shirts weren't stiffs... well, actually, they pretty much were last night but they actually woke up and decided to play hockey for a few minutes. in general though, playing 60 minutes does not mean eliminating every single opportunity. the other 29 teams in the league have some decent players who have a say in that, you know.
They snoozed alot in the 3rd. Giving up another SH goal just shows that. Hadnt we given that up I would have forgiven the other snoozing I want to eliminate all those big mistakes they make out there. Good teams dont make those. Problem being once they make those mistakes the Panthers usually go back into there shell and stop fore checking and dont win the "small" battles for the puck. It just pisses me off because the team shows they can beat anyone in the league but then they make one mistake and its back into the shell. If they just could push threw even if they make mistakes and not try to hand over the game to other teams.

Old
01-07-2009, 04:12 PM
zeroG

Quote:
They snoozed alot in the 3rd. Giving up another SH goal just shows that. Hadnt we given that up I would have forgiven the other snoozing I want to eliminate all those big mistakes they make out there. Good teams dont make those. Problem being once they make those mistakes the Panthers usually go back into there shell and stop fore checking and dont win the "small" battles for the puck. It just pisses me off because the team shows they can beat anyone in the league but then they make one mistake and its back into the shell. If they just could push threw even if they make mistakes and not try to hand over the game to other teams.
is every single SH goal the result of snoozing? i don't think so. just watched the replay so let us deconstruct - weiss lost a battle up near the blue line but jay was backing him up. mccabe had blake who was cherry picking but didn't have defensive position. no way blake scores that goal in a closer game because there's no way he's at the opposition blue line during a PK with the puck in his zone. anyhow, it was still a fluky play that required blake to be our blue line, a perfect lob pass (iirc) and then a fantastic play by blake. sometimes you have to just tip your hat to the opponent. weiss would probably like to have won that battle and mccabe probably would've liked to have gotten back with blake; vokoun probably would've been happier if he kicked that rebound out as well but... stuff happens.

anyhow, man, what happened to the leafs last night. sheez - they were so flat it was unbelievable. wilson mentioned it after the game. mccabe even mentioned it. i thought it was going to rub off on our guys when CPR was shying away from any wall play on their first shift. luckily, the leafs were so awful that we were able to coast to 2 goals.

Old
01-07-2009, 04:33 PM
FlaPanthers7

Even McCabe said they laid back a little in the 3rd but that's what you do up 3-0. At least they finished them off and played a very strong game overall. I really can't complain about their play last night. Blake's goal was a stud move short-handed, so that happens and you move on.

Old
01-07-2009, 05:11 PM
sinDer

Quote:
Liked the game. Still cant believe we cant play 60mins of hockey. That SH goal really shouldnt ever happen. Why wasnt Weiss given a penalty shot?
You know what, I think it's impossible for a team to play 60 minutes of their best hockey. I mean...you couldn't expect the Panthers to play like they did in the first 10 minutes of the first period for the rest of the game.

If teams could play 60 minutes of their best hockey, you'd see scores like 10-0 when a team like San Jose play Islanders.

You have to give some credits to the leafs, they worked harder in the third period.

But a SH goal shouldn't ever happen....I'll give you that

Old
01-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
"I was not very happy with the effort," said Leafs coach Ron Wilson. "We had zero energy at all from any veteran players, to show up and lead the way. It was a quiet room before the game, it was quiet on the bench. .

"We've got to find a way to get a little bit more passion or energy when we play a team like that."
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=262199&l...=headlines_nhl

A team like...what? That's ahead of them in the standings and was great on the forecheck to start the game? lol, whatever, love beating the Laughs.

01-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post

A team like...what? That's ahead of them in the standings and was great on the forecheck to start the game? lol, whatever, love beating the Laughs.
LOL. I think Wilson should check the standings. Soon he'll be put out of his misery though when Burke starts selling off pieces to start their rebuild.

Old
01-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

Quote:

Until we win the Cup 3 years in a row, we'll never be respected around the league. I'm ok with that though. If other teams want to down-play us...I'll take the two points every time.

Old
01-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Bure1096

Send a message via AIM to Bure1096
i kind of took it as a compliment...

Old
01-07-2009, 08:11 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure1096 View Post
i kind of took it as a compliment...
Yeah. That was my first thought, too.

I took it as him saying they can't afford to come out flat against a better team.

Old
01-07-2009, 09:56 PM
zeroG

Quote:

i was gonna come back and post that tonight. i had the same exact reaction. glad you got to it. i was trying to think of what he *might* be meaning: a more conservative team historically speaking; a team without starpower; a team without a rivalry with the leafs.. there are a number ways he could've made that a little less condescending sounding. if i'm PDB, that goes on the bulletin board for the rest of the home stand!

Old
01-07-2009, 09:59 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
Yeah. That was my first thought, too.

I took it as him saying they can't afford to come out flat against a better team.
mmm... don't think so. they've been sliding a bit lately but they've been playing decent hockey with some huge wins. i'm thinking the drubbing of pittsburgh before it was obvious to everyone they had shut it down. remember, they were only 2 pts behind us. i don't think that was it.

Old
01-07-2009, 10:11 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
mmm... don't think so. they've been sliding a bit lately but they've been playing decent hockey with some huge wins. i'm thinking the drubbing of pittsburgh before it was obvious to everyone they had shut it down. remember, they were only 2 pts behind us. i don't think that was it.
Of course, he could be calling the Panthers a better team as a way of motivating his team.

Really, we can go back and forth all day, but only he knows what he meant.

Old
01-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

I took the "a team like that" comment as him saying that we're a hard-working hockey club that won't just lay down and let the Leafs walk in and win.

-ghoste

Closed Thread