HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Gainey trade up at the draft in Montreal?

Old
01-06-2009, 09:39 AM
WestIslander

vCash: 500
Quote:
I think it depends on the player.

For a guy that can step in right away, I don't mind trading a few roster players. We have a lot of depth at forward. IMO, we can afford to lose a few players to get that elite prospect. We have a great young team filled with depth, but we don't have a game changing player that I think we need to be considered a real Cup contender.
JOHN TAVARES!

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:41 AM
ReVeuF

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I'd rather be picking 30th
Me too... that would mean we won the Cup

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:45 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
I think it depends on the player.

For a guy that can step in right away, I don't mind trading a few roster players. We have a lot of depth at forward. IMO, we can afford to lose a few players to get that elite prospect.
What, then, would you (or WestIslander or anyone else) have given up to get Steven Stamkos? Led Canada to WJC Gold, was considered by everyone to be ready to step in to the NHL, and now has 14 points in 40 games. I'm not saying he'll never be a great player because he will be, but you can't just assume everyone's a Kane or a Gagner or a Doughty ready to step in immediately and make a difference.

And Tavares (or the #1 pick) is just a nonstarter. We would have to put together a package of Lindrosian proportions (okay maybe a bit less) just to get Atlanta or NYI or whoever to even answer the phone.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Whoever will be getting MSP will be really, really happy. Thing is I don't see the top 5 being available unless a team picks at the 7th spot and want to switch with something extra.....

But as much as I would love to do it, I don't see what we have and be ready to part with to move up for the "show in Montreal"....We all know Gainey doesn't care if it's Montreal or not....

I don't see us willing to give a roster player and chances are we'll pick way too far so our #1 draft pick has any impact to get a top 5 player. So the only thing left are prospects and to get a top 5, I think that there's just a few guys out there that could be paired with something that could give us that possibility....and I'm not talking about guys we won't mind giving....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:51 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
We traded our 1st in '08 and 2nd in '09 for Tanguay, the pick we got for Grabo we traded for Lang. That leaves us with the 2nd rounder we got for Huet from the caps, which was the Ducks 2nd rounder in '09.

So far we will have one pick in each round for '09, all our picks except the 2nd round which will be the Ducks pick.
nice, now I don't have to go figure this out! Ducks finish out of the playoffs? :p

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:52 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
I was actually never really sold on Stamkos due to his size (although, with saying that, I should admit I wasn't sold on Kane either).

I think he'll be a great player but I didn't think he would have a huge impact right away.
With that said, I probably would still have traded a few roster players for him if he were available this year.

We're not in rebuilding mode but we're also not in 'must win now' mode. We have a great young team that could be a threat for many years to come. I'd be willing to give up some of that depth for that one elite prospect.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
nice, now I don't have to go figure this out! Ducks finish our of the playoffs? :p
Wow....you're right! I didn't realize that I wanted for the Ducks to suck so bad now....I will from now on!

Old
01-06-2009, 09:56 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Whoever will be getting MSP will be really, really happy. Thing is I don't see the top 5 being available unless a team picks at the 7th spot and want to switch with something extra.....

But as much as I would love to do it, I don't see what we have and be ready to part with to move up for the "show in Montreal"....We all know Gainey doesn't care if it's Montreal or not....

I don't see us willing to give a roster player and chances are we'll pick way too far so our #1 draft pick has any impact to get a top 5 player. So the only thing left are prospects and to get a top 5, I think that there's just a few guys out there that could be paired with something that could give us that possibility....and I'm not talking about guys we won't mind giving....
I don't see why we wouldn't be willing to get rid of some roster players.
We have so much depth that losing a few players really wouldn't set us back that much. We also have a slew of defence prospects as well that we could include in a trade.

It depends on who is picking and who is still available (and what our scouting staff thinks of them), but I think that we do have the necessary pieces to make that trade.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
No, but I don't want to be picking at 25th overall in Montreal.

I want a top 10 pick a la Komisarek and Kostitsyn!
I want the 30th overall pick and let Timmins work his magic.

edit: I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this way... I'll take a cup over the first overall pick 100 times out of 100! I mean, isn't the reason teams want top picks for ultimately winning it all?

Last edited by Fozz: 01-06-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:04 AM
Habs

Quote:
Too small to ever really be an impact player in the NHL, IMO. He's got great vision and offensive ability, but I don't see him being able to be strong enough defensively to make a large impact in the Bigs.
They said the same thing about Ray Bourque though.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:09 AM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
JOHN TAVARES!
Cause the team that drafts 1st overall are too dumb to know if they arent sold on Tavares they can still draft Hedman and they are also too dumb to be 100% sure either wont be ready for the NHL next season, there's only us and Bob Gainey knowing the first pick will be good this year and by giving top 6 forward a #2 goalie and a 3rd tier first round pick it surely worth a franchise player any day of the week and they are also dumb to think that by getting these players their franchise is in better shape to be back on track then if they got Tavares and that said, there's no team in the league trading 3 players under 25 that are part of their roster plus a first round pick for one player.

When is the last time that there was a trade for a top 2 picks on draft day? Canucks for Sedin? was it the 2nd or 3rd pick? and it was under special circumstences. Just wont happen.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:10 AM
kernkraft

If the Islanders are anything like the past, it should be easy:

to MTL
Islanders 1st round pick (1st-3rd)

to NYI
Komisarek (signed)
Chris Higgins
ANA 2nd round pick

Will never happen though.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I don't see why we wouldn't be willing to get rid of some roster players.
We have so much depth that losing a few players really wouldn't set us back that much. We also have a slew of defence prospects as well that we could include in a trade.

It depends on who is picking and who is still available (and what our scouting staff thinks of them), but I think that we do have the necessary pieces to make that trade.
Well it's more about who have some value and who we want to send as great our depth is. Halak doesn't have the value that most people would like him to have. For me it leaves only 3 guys available that has the greatest value for other teams and that are already signed (we cannot think about our UFA's since we have no idea when they'll be signed). It then leaves The Kostitsyns and Markov. Do you really want to trade them?

As far as the slew of defence prospects, obviously I'm not a scout, somebody could very much be in love with Joe Stejskal.....but logic tells me that nobody would draw any interest as far as giving up a top 5 draft pick if guys like McDonagh, Subban and Weber are not included. I don't see O'Byrne having that kind of effect unless he's paired with something way more interesting. I believe that in Habsworld, Subban has become untouchable. Then, we'll see soon what Weber is made of that could make him untouchable as well. And McDonagh is definately still a Timmins favorite. The only guy that I see could be traded and that we could do without is Mathieu Carle. What kind of value is he having though?

Old
01-06-2009, 10:25 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post

to MTL

to NYI
Komisarek (signed)
Chris Higgins
ANA 2nd round pick

Timmins: "Hey Bob, here's my list."
Gainey: "Ooo, yeah, about that. I know you worked really hard this year but I traded all of our picks for the next 2 years to Garth Snow for the Islander's 1st."
Timmins: "..."
Gainey: "So what's your oppinion on this Tavares kid?"

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post

to MTL

to NYI
Komisarek (signed)
Chris Higgins
ANA 2nd round pick

Don't want this to happen. Bad move.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:31 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
I know this is hockey future board, but seriously guys... We are in a position to win, FINALLY. We will not be trading our players for rookies. Rookies don't come in and win you Stanley Cups, unless his name is Malkin and Crosby(and they only went to the finals, and it took them a couple of years)

If you think Bob should trade players for picks, well...(I'd rather not get an infraction here)

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:32 AM
kernkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Timmins: "Hey Bob, here's my list."
Gainey: "Ooo, yeah, about that. I know you worked really hard this year but I traded all of our picks for the next 2 years to Garth Snow for the Islander's 1st."
Timmins: "..."
Gainey: "So what's your oppinion on this Tavares kid?"
Not what I wrote, but it was just an exercise. It's basically impossible to get a pick that high unless you finish dead last. So if you want it, you've got to give a lot. I think that's what NYI would ask.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:36 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
When is the last time that there was a trade for a top 2 picks on draft day? Canucks for Sedin? was it the 2nd or 3rd pick? and it was under special circumstences. Just wont happen.
Spezza for Yashin

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:27 AM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Spezza for Yashin
Was it at the draft? I thought it was earlier in the eyar.

Old
01-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Was it at the draft? I thought it was earlier in the eyar.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexei_Yashin

Quote:
On draft day, 2001, Yashin was sent to the New York Islanders for defenceman Zdeno Chara, forward Bill Muckalt and the second overall draft selection, which the Senators used to draft highly-touted centerman Jason Spezza.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:40 AM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffonfire View Post
Coming from you, i have some doubts, but fine. I was wrong.

Old
01-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Coming from you, i have some doubts, but fine. I was wrong.
lol I hate you!

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Spezza for Yashin
yup what a big surprise,the New York Islanders

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Mustafa*

You give us John Tavares and we lend you Timmins to pick for you next year.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Analyzer

Quote:
I'd rather be picking 30th
Same here, man.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote