HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Briere update -- January 23 (post #584)

Old
01-14-2009, 05:43 PM
RoDu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richards 18 View Post
Why not
Gagne Briere Knuble
Hartnell Carter Giroux/Lupul
Upshall Richards lupul/Giroux
gratton/asham/cote/powe/metro

trade jones and metro
Hartnell Carter Lupul
Gagne Richards Giroux
Upshall Briere Knuble
fourth line

How much ice time will Cote even see in the playoffs, will he even be in the lineup?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 05:46 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
no Knuble with briere. No way

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 05:50 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Im guessing all they do is switch Metro with Briere when Briere comes back (that means a Upshall-Briere-Giroux). This all depends on if we win the next game or two by the time Briere comes back. We win, Briere will switch with Metro. We lose, I can see totally different lines.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 05:56 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 580
One thing I don't want to see is Briere, Gagne and Giroux all on the same line.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 06:25 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
One thing I don't want to see is Briere, Gagne and Giroux all on the same line.
Just wondering but why?

Old
01-14-2009, 06:27 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Montreal will be pissed lol.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 06:46 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Hartnell Carter Lupul
Gagne Richards Giroux
Upshall Briere Knuble
fourth line

How much ice time will Cote even see in the playoffs, will he even be in the lineup?
I wouldn't want him to. I'd rather have a 4th line of Kalinski/Gratton-Metropolit-Asham. Much more effective 4th line than having Cote in there.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Just wondering but why?
Because they might lose a fight to a troop of 12 y/os?

Gagne-Briere-Giroux would have a lot of speed and skill, but absolutely zero grit.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 08:15 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

Gagne-Briere-Giroux would have a lot of speed and skill, but absolutely zero grit.
toss Upshall on the line to replace one of the two wingers

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 08:21 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I liked the idea of Briere and Upshall together in the one game Briere played.

Old
01-14-2009, 08:40 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

Oh alright, just I really couldnt think of a reason . I see what your saying though. I can see someone like Upshall being thrown in there somewhere

Old
01-14-2009, 08:46 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Deja Vu

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Oh alright, just I really couldnt think of a reason . I see what your saying though. I can see someone like Upshall being thrown in there somewhere
I also don't think Briere should be seeing 20 minutes a night, and Gagne should be getting a more regular shift than Briere.

Old
01-14-2009, 09:10 PM
mm6492

I did not read much of this thread, just saw combo's being thrown out there

Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Hartnell-Carter-Lupul
Giroux-Briere-Upshall
Asham-Metro-Cote/Gratton

The 3rd line might not be big but it will cause some serious mismatch problems if teams focus obn the other two lines.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Mike Richards 18

we definitely have a butt load of options which is great. Knuble is the only player that you couldnt put with any combo.

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:22 PM
wrx27

Why not?

Gagne-Richards-Lupul - Spark Lupul who plays well with Richards

Hartnell-Carter-Upshall - Hartnell and Carts have chemistry as well as Upshall and Carts

Giroux-Briere-Knuble - Let Giroux and Briere develop together and work there magic, throw knuble up front.

Cote-Metro-Asham - solid 4th line

Nodl/Powe demoted/kept down unless injury call up needed. Gratoon and Kalinkski are on IR for now. Possible call ups down the line when healthy.

Timonen-Vananen - Our #1 and #2 solid!
Coburn-Parent - This is our pairing of the future please make it so.
Alberts-Sbisa - Waste to send the kid back and Alberts has played good lately. Not bad for a 3rd.
Kukks sent down or kept as 7th.

Jones traded for draft pick

wrx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:45 PM
Ri hards

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx27 View Post
Gagne-Richards-Lupul - Spark Lupul who plays well with Richards

Hartnell-Carter-Upshall - Hartnell and Carts have chemistry as well as Upshall and Carts

Giroux-Briere-Knuble - Let Giroux and Briere develop together and work there magic, throw knuble up front.

Cote-Metro-Asham - solid 4th line

Nodl/Powe demoted/kept down unless injury call up needed. Gratoon and Kalinkski are on IR for now. Possible call ups down the line when healthy.

Timonen-Vananen - Our #1 and #2 solid!
Coburn-Parent - This is our pairing of the future please make it so.
Alberts-Sbisa - Waste to send the kid back and Alberts has played good lately. Not bad for a 3rd.
Kukks sent down or kept as 7th.

Jones traded for draft pick
Carle.....

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 07:54 AM
wrx27

My bad swap Carle for Alberts. Alberts traded for draft pick or stays if Luca must go

wrx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 12:01 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Briere update following Phantoms Game.

Quote:
Philadelphia, PA) - Danny Briere made his return to the ice on Wednesday night with the American Hockey League's Philadelphia Phantoms, scoring a goal and adding an assist in a 7-1 victory at the Wachovia Spectrum over the Worcester Sharks.

The 31-year-old center is expected to suit up again for the Phantoms again on Friday night against Lowell (7:05 p.m., Wachovia Spectrum, Tickets).

Briere, who is trying to return to the Flyers after suffering from various groin injuries this season, met with the media after the game and said he was pleased with how he felt. Below is a transcript of Briere's media availability, or you can listen to it by clicking the link below.

Danny Briere - Jan. 14 2009

Q: How did it go out there?

Briere: “I actually felt pretty good. The intensity kind of dropped. The first period I was a little tentative out there, I wanted to test it out. I didn’t want to force things. I was a little careful about getting into battles. The start of the second period, I started to feel a little bit more confident, but at that time what happened was we scored two more goals. It was 6-0, I think the intensity kind of dropped a little bit. Overall, it was definitely a good test. A couple times, when I went into battle, I obviously felt it here and there, but the good thing is the pain went away, right away. It disappeared, so that’s the positive. That’s the good thing. I was really happy with the way it responded.”

Q: Were you feeling anything more than you would, if you’d been healthy before that, when you go into a battle in the corner?

DB: “Well, a little bit. Like I said, there’s a little pain, but the good thing is it’s just a quick jolt, and then it disappeared, so I was really happy about that. It didn’t linger and it didn’t prevent me from going just as a hard on the next push off, so I was really happy with the way things turned out.”

Q: How much more can you tell from a game, than just from the skates that you’ve had?

DB: “This was a good test. I mean with the Flyers I had been skating, we had done a little bit of drills, battling drills along the boards and then we played a little 3-on-3 game, so the next step was playing the game we played tonight. Now Friday, it’s probably going to be a little more intense if the game stays a little tighter, so I’ll try to raise the intensity a little more. Also, the steps are getting higher and higher every time, so far it’s been good and I’m really happy where I am now.”

Q: Did it work to your advantage that the game was in-hand pretty early?

DB: “Yeah, like I said, early in the game I was a little tentative and then I started feeling better and more confident, and I got into a few situations where I had to battle down low and got hit, got bumped a few times. Like I said, it reacted very well. It didn’t get worse. That’s what I could ask for. I’m very happy about that.”

Q: Do you think two games down here will be enough?

DB: “You know, I haven’t thought about it. Personally for me, I was trying to get through the first one. I didn’t even know if I’d have the chance to play the second one on Friday. Now that I went through it, I’m looking at playing Friday and go from there. I haven’t thought past Friday’s game now.”

Q: Did you feel like 75-80 percent…what was it like tonight?

DB: “I probably pushed it all the way to 90-95 percent. The intensity kind of went away when I started to feel a little bit more confident, so the next game I’ll try to push it all out.”

Q: As far as your NHL experience, how has it been? What has been your impression of playing for the Phantoms right now?

DB: “I’m actually excited. I’ve played in the minors before, so it doesn’t bother me. I was just excited to play and have a chance to play a game finally and test it out. I think we all know here the situation the Flyers are in, as far as the salary cap and I felt bad putting them in a bad position where they would have to maybe send some guys down, lose some guys, maybe make some trades just for me to get back in the lineup, then realize that I can’t play, so this was definitely the best situation for them and for me to see if I was ready to go, so for me it’s a great chance to play here.”

Q: How much of a relief is it to get through a whole game now, and get on the score sheet even?

DB: “It’s a big relief. I’m not going to lie to you. Waking up this morning I was a little nervous about playing, not knowing if I’d be able to get through the game. That’s what I was afraid of. I wasn’t afraid of getting on the scoreboard. I obviously wanted to help them win and get back on a winning streak, but personally it was all about being able to finish the game.”

Q: Does it help though?

DB: “Oh definitely, yeah. I feel a lot better now that I was able to get into situations where I had to battle and fight for the puck and the way it reacted, I was very happy.”

Q: How strange was it to see [Worcester Shark] Claude Lemieux out there?

DB: “It was a little weird. I mean we played together before so it was a little awkward to see him here, but we have the same goal. We want to get back to the NHL and we want to help our team win, so that’s why we’re down here, to get better.”

Q: Is that the biggest test for you… to have those battles on the board, where you’re trying to battle for position?

DB: “Definitely. The hits, like you said, trying to battle for position, getting your leg in front to protect the puck, those little plays that seem like nothing from the stands and also most players take for granted when you’re not injured like I am. That’s what I was looking for. Like I said, I was very happy with the way it went.”

Q: Do you feel like you’re getting your full range of mobility with skating?

DB: “Yeah, the skating part of it, there’s no problem and I’ve been skating laps and stops and starts now for about a month, so it was kind of getting old, but it’s totally different. In a game you’re off-balance, you’re getting jolted around, you’re getting pushed, you’re reacting where you don’t necessarily have the chance and the time to protect your groin, so that’s what I wanted to see.”

Q: You still feel like you’re on target for Tuesday, if everything goes well on Friday?

DB: “We’ll see. We’ll play Friday and then we’ll go from there. We’ll take it one game at a time.”

Q: Talk about you’re shorthanded goal, you made it look so effortless…

DB: “I must have been inspired by the Flyers, all the shorthanded goals we’ve been scoring this year, but I realized their defenseman was kind of caught flat-footed all the way back and he was backing up really quick and he gave me the shot, so I came in and tried to surprise the goalie with a quick shot.”

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

He still has pain when he pushes off? Okay...

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
He still has pain when he pushes off? Okay...
Natural at the outset if he's dealing with some scar tissue from the tear...whether or not it's more than that is the question.

Old
01-15-2009, 12:13 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

What was Danny doing on the ice while the team was shorthanded?

Old
01-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Jester

Quote:
Getting minutes...and was the most skilled player on the ice by a mile to boot.

Old
01-15-2009, 12:20 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Jester nailed that on the head. lol.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 12:23 PM
kicksave27

Quote:
Good way to test the groin/abs is the quick stop and start on the PK. Get him more minutes too.

I like giroux danny and upshal. Small but very quick, upshal forechecks, gets the puck to giroux who feeds danny for the shot. Danny works well with a good passer like prospal in the playoffs last year. You don't want them checking the other teams top line, but how often is that going to happen? If anything, it keeps danny away from the top checking line of the other team, they'll score more than they let in.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote