HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal outdoor game next yr - Rangers are quite likely

Old
01-07-2009, 07:45 AM
Deric

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm0otHocKeySPeeD View Post
One thing people forget to realize is that even on Jan 1st our weather here in NYC is some of the most unpredictable and unreliable.
Maintaining a sheet of ice outdoors in NY weather would be quite the concern.
I'm not saying the NHL wouldn't do it, but can you imagine the day of our winter classic it's 54 degree's like it was on Christmas eve or w.e?
That poses many challenges and would totally ruin the ice.
You do realize this will be 2010 though right. We're not talking Canadian summer of 1936. I'm sure there is technology to keep an ice rink frozen on a 54 degree day.

And also they've all but said it won't be in Canada or involve a Canadian team because they don't need to promote to them.

Deric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 07:58 AM
Lady Vengeance
FTTW

Quote:
but can you imagine the day of our winter classic it's 54 degree's like it was on Christmas eve or w.e?
Not that I know a lot about ice maintenance, but isn't it well above that temperature in the arenas? I'm not sure what the air temperature really has to do with anything.

My biggest concern would be the possibility of rain.

Lady Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 08:07 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
So more people will tune in on TV because its played in the US?
I absolutely think so, yes. There will be increased media exposure by having the game in the US, and in turn more people will watch.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 08:08 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
So more people will tune in on TV because its played in the US?
I think that what hes trying to say that having the game in the media capital of the world's back yard would draw more attention to it than if it were in Montreal, Buffalo or Chicago.

New York always over exposes these things and this would be no different.

Having two major markets like New York and Montreal/Boston/Toronto playing an outdoor game in the new Yankees stadium would be a tri-fecta in that it's NY (Major Market) playing one of MON-BOS-TOR (all major markets) in the new Stadium (with the new stadium draw still being a major factor.)

If it's all about ratings, I'm not sure that having the game in Canada for Montreal's 100'th B-day would be able to top this. I really doubt it.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 08:16 AM
94now

Quote:
I'm not saying the NHL wouldn't do it, but can you imagine the day of our winter classic it's 54 degree's like it was on Christmas eve or w.e?

That poses many challenges and would totally ruin the ice.
Not really. 54F is about what MSG has at every home game... There would be nothing wrong with ice which is maintained same way using the under surface piping circulating freon coolant. The only difference is that compressors at MSG are stationary, while at outdoor game the mobile unit (big RV size vehicle) is used to accommodate the compressors.

In order to get that Winter Classic feel the show should be around the rink. That is why they whited out the areas there in Chicago. Snow may not be readily available in NYC on Jan.1st.

Regardless of weather considerations, I think NY doesn't make any sense for this. It doesn't have any historical stadium available, all arenas, baseball or football are new. Plus it is an established market. It appears NHL wants emerging markets like PIT or CHI be used for it. That is the only point against MTL, which is well established also.
BTW, the best baseball park for it would be Citizen Park in PHI cause it has very small outfield, but I haven't heard of any interest there.
I still think the best way to promote the game and not to hurt the regular process with unpredictable conditions is to make the AllStar game an outdoor venue.

Last edited by 94now: 01-07-2009 at 08:26 AM.
94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 08:20 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I think that what hes trying to say that having the game in the media capital of the world's back yard would draw more attention to it than if it were in Montreal, Buffalo or Chicago.

New York always over exposes these things and this would be no different.

Having two major markets like New York and Montreal/Boston/Toronto playing an outdoor game in the new Yankees stadium would be a tri-fecta in that it's NY (Major Market) playing one of MON-BOS-TOR (all major markets) in the new Stadium (with the new stadium draw still being a major factor.)

If it's all about ratings, I'm not sure that having the game in Canada for Montreal's 100'th B-day would be able to top this. I really doubt it.
I don't necessarily agree.

The NHL would want a NY team because they want the TV ratings. The game will sell out regardless. The Rangers and another top market would be what they would want.

To the location, I don't see it being a factor. Yankee Stadium will have been open for all baseball season and will be on national TV at least 15 times. People who are dying to see the stadium (and outside NY, I really have to wonder how many people really care) will have their chance to see it then.

01-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Chris 84

That would be Dawesome!

Fritsche for a hat trick

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 09:03 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
I don't necessarily agree.

The NHL would want a NY team because they want the TV ratings. The game will sell out regardless. The Rangers and another top market would be what they would want.

To the location, I don't see it being a factor. Yankee Stadium will have been open for all baseball season and will be on national TV at least 15 times. People who are dying to see the stadium (and outside NY, I really have to wonder how many people really care) will have their chance to see it then.
Selling out the game is a non-issue regardless of where it is, I concede that.

Media attendance and overall coverage of the event/game itself is where we disagree.

Hockey was at it's pinnacle of popularity when? 1994 when the Rangers were a good team and had gotten to (and won) the Stanley Cup. The fact that it was the Rangers (smack dead center of the media capital of the world) made covering them easier.

Even the Knicks get more coverage than most basketball teams and they blow.

The point I am making and it's made for me every day (see the OVER THE TOP presser for Texiera yesterday) is that when an event is held in NYC, the coverage is greater than if it were being held in any other major market.

The greater the coverage, the more homes reached and the greater potential for people to tune in.

Bristol CT is hop skip and a jump from NYC so you know the fools over at ESPN would have people all over it.

You can argue the point till the cows come home, but the fact remains that when any special event is held in NY the coverage it gets is greater than if that same event is held outside of the city.

As for location, the allure of any new stadium in any city lasts between 2-3 years. The fact that this stadium will have been open for less than 1 year would still have that new feeling to it. Every new ballpark sees a spike in ticket sales for 2-3 years. People want to come and check out the new stadium and 1 season wasn't enough for cities line Clevelane or Baltimore, what makes you think 9 months will be enough for the largest city (by poplulation) in the US?

I don't disagree that the game will be covered well in any local, I just disagree with you in that I fully believe that it's over the top covered if played in NY. Espcially if it's with another Original 6 team

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 10:29 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Selling out the game is a non-issue regardless of where it is, I concede that.

Media attendance and overall coverage of the event/game itself is where we disagree.

Hockey was at it's pinnacle of popularity when? 1994 when the Rangers were a good team and had gotten to (and won) the Stanley Cup. The fact that it was the Rangers (smack dead center of the media capital of the world) made covering them easier.

Even the Knicks get more coverage than most basketball teams and they blow.

The point I am making and it's made for me every day (see the OVER THE TOP presser for Texiera yesterday) is that when an event is held in NYC, the coverage is greater than if it were being held in any other major market.

The greater the coverage, the more homes reached and the greater potential for people to tune in.

Bristol CT is hop skip and a jump from NYC so you know the fools over at ESPN would have people all over it.

You can argue the point till the cows come home, but the fact remains that when any special event is held in NY the coverage it gets is greater than if that same event is held outside of the city.

As for location, the allure of any new stadium in any city lasts between 2-3 years. The fact that this stadium will have been open for less than 1 year would still have that new feeling to it. Every new ballpark sees a spike in ticket sales for 2-3 years. People want to come and check out the new stadium and 1 season wasn't enough for cities line Clevelane or Baltimore, what makes you think 9 months will be enough for the largest city (by poplulation) in the US?

I don't disagree that the game will be covered well in any local, I just disagree with you in that I fully believe that it's over the top covered if played in NY. Espcially if it's with another Original 6 team
Well said man. Agreed on all points.

Old
01-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Next yr Montreal will have a game outdoors to celebrate the 100 yrs of the franchise. No team makes more sense to be a matchup for the Habs than the Rangers. They won't pick Toronto (CDN team) or Boston (smaller market) or the Wings (did it this year) so that leaves you guys Original 6 matchup + big US market.

I think a game in front of 60-80k hockey fans would be great, especially against the Rangers.

here's a (french) link: http://www.corussports.com/canadiens...6-1353103.html
No other team makes as much sense as the Nordiques!
If not the Nords then the Bruins especially after they win the cup this year - would be close 2nd option.
Wouldn't you just love to see the Bruins rub it into the Habs faces.....

but I reckon the NHL in their infinite wisdom will chose Phoenix to help the struggling franchise to gain exposure.

I say ZERO chance for Rangers playing away at Montreal (if Montreal get it next year)
Bettman is a New Yorker, NHL home is in NY.....Rangers will host a Winter Classic at home, just a matter of time when.

Last edited by Sad London Ranger: 01-07-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Fletch

New York is a tough place to have it. The weather is unpredictable. It could be raining, which means slushy ice (I don't care what technology is out there - the MSG ice sucks at times, imagine what an outdoor rink would be like?). Find a football stadium in Halifax. Have it there.

What's the purpose of the Winter Classic? To promote the sport. Is it to get the locals out and watch the game? I don't know about that, and if so, why have it in Chicago, a team that has the best attendance in the league? I think it's meant to be more marketing of the game - on a larger scale (which is why it's on channel 4 here in NYC). So does it matter where the game is? The point is to also emulate how these guys grew up playing hockey - dealing with the elements. Halifax would be a perfect spot, or Quebec, or wherever. How many were watching hoping for snow? A lot of people. Make it the Rangers vs. Canadiens and have it at a neutral site. Having it at Yankee Stadium is nice for NY, but does the rest of the world really care?

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
New York is a tough place to have it. The weather is unpredictable. It could be raining, which means slushy ice (I don't care what technology is out there - the MSG ice sucks at times, imagine what an outdoor rink would be like?). Find a football stadium in Halifax. Have it there.

What's the purpose of the Winter Classic? To promote the sport. Is it to get the locals out and watch the game? I don't know about that, and if so, why have it in Chicago, a team that has the best attendance in the league? I think it's meant to be more marketing of the game - on a larger scale (which is why it's on channel 4 here in NYC). So does it matter where the game is? The point is to also emulate how these guys grew up playing hockey - dealing with the elements. Halifax would be a perfect spot, or Quebec, or wherever. How many were watching hoping for snow? A lot of people. Make it the Rangers vs. Canadiens and have it at a neutral site. Having it at Yankee Stadium is nice for NY, but does the rest of the world really care?
I'm not sure you can have a regular season game at a neutral site. I don't think any of the NHL organizations would be willing to give-up the revenue, or a home game for that matter.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 12:06 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Having it at Yankee Stadium is nice for NY, but does the rest of the world really care?
That's my point. And a question whose answer I believe would vary from what a New Yorker would say and what most people outside NY would say.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 12:07 PM
TheHotRock

boston-nyr at fenway makes the most sense to market to a non-hockey fan audience

you got the ny boston rivalry and fenway rivals wrigley field as far as historical significance

yankee stadium would be cool too, but they should wait a little while on that one.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 12:20 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
That's my point. And a question whose answer I believe would vary from what a New Yorker would say and what most people outside NY would say.
The world? No. The nation? Yes. Holding a game in NY will without any doubt generate more press and more national interest than a game held in Montreal. Without a doubt! And I say this as a person who hasn't lived in NY for about 10 years. I don't even really care personally where the game is held, I just think it's pretty obvious that there would be more interest stateside if the game was played here.

Old
01-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki Tawdry View Post
Not that I know a lot about ice maintenance, but isn't it well above that temperature in the arenas? I'm not sure what the air temperature really has to do with anything.

My biggest concern would be the possibility of rain.
Humidity affects the ice...and the air temperature has everything to do with it. If you haven't noticed by now our ice is not exactly the best in the NHL. That has nothing to do with the quality of MSG's equipment and everything to do with the ridiculous amount of events held at MSG throughout the course of 1 year.

Does anyone here know why they are able to maintain the ice at MSG or at any indoor ice rink??

There are many chillers, and a chemical called brine circulating thru coils of pipe underneath the ice to assist in keeping it frozen.

MSG must keep it's ice rink chilled I'd say at more than 7,000 hours a year due to all the events and the fact that the ice spends alot of time being covered.

The amount of work it would take to put this equipment at Yankee Stadium etc for 1 outdoor game would be ridiculous.

Let's not forget the fact that NHL is not expecting to do all of this. They are relying on the fact that the weather, if cold enough will replace all of the equipment and have a nice hard sheet of ice.

If it rains, it's over.

If it snows, I don't see that being as big of a problem.

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 12:25 PM
hdw

Quote:
Well the world would care a lot more than if it was in Montreal.

NY is one of the most well known cities in the world, while people outside the hockey world would be pressed to find Montreal on a map, much less knowing anything about it.

And the more people know, or rather think they know, the more news articles it sells.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 01:12 PM
D713B

Quote:
I'm questioning whether or not the NYC region might be more interested if its held here.

I don't believe that being in the new Yankee stadium would be an additional draw because the game will sell out anyway and those who really care about seeing the new stadium will go to one of 81 Yankee home games. And I don't think that Yankee fans who aren't hockey fans will be interested in sitting outside on New Years day in the cold. But like I said, all that is irrelevant as the game will sell out.

I'm just saying the rest if the country won't care if the game is played in NY or Montreal. And that is the larger audience and the one the NHL and NBC wants to attract.
Yankee Stadium is a draw, hands down. In the tri-state area announcing that an outdoor hockey game will be played at Yankee Stadium, old or new, history or none, will draw interest and provide higher ratings than holding it in Montreal. Canadians already will be watching. The goal would be to capture the American market and having it in the largest market would give them the best chance of achieving a high rating. I don't care if it was held in a high school girls field hockey stadium, if it's in NY it will be a bigger draw, especially when it concerns the American market.

I mean it seems obvious to me that more people will take notice to the papers discussing and hyping an outdoor game in their "back yards" than their local hockey team playing some game outdoors in Canada. That won't attract anyone who doesn't care about the Rangers in the tri-state area. But a hockey game at the new Yankee Stadium, that will draw interest from those outside the realm of hockey.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 01:15 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
The world? No. The nation? Yes. Holding a game in NY will without any doubt generate more press and more national interest than a game held in Montreal. Without a doubt! And I say this as a person who hasn't lived in NY for about 10 years. I don't even really care personally where the game is held, I just think it's pretty obvious that there would be more interest stateside if the game was played here.
I tend to agree.

On a national scale, even from an NHL marketing perspective - Its easier to point out the positives of having a game in Yankee Stadium than Montreal...

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 01:20 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
Yankee Stadium is a draw, hands down. In the tri-state area announcing that an outdoor hockey game will be played at Yankee Stadium, old or new, history or none, will draw interest and provide higher ratings than holding it in Montreal.
Says the New Yorker. The person watching the game on TV is going to watch the game regardless of where its held.

Quote:
Canadians already will be watching. The goal would be to capture the American market and having it in the largest market would give them the best chance of achieving a high rating. I don't care if it was held in a high school girls field hockey stadium, if it's in NY it will be a bigger draw, especially when it concerns the American market.
Ratings don't prove as such. The Subway series didn't get great ratings outside NY. The Yankee -Red Sox playoff matchups have not drawn great outside NY and BOS

Quote:
I mean it seems obvious to me that more people will take notice to the papers discussing and hyping an outdoor game in their "back yards" than their local hockey team playing some game outdoors in Canada. That won't attract anyone who doesn't care about the Rangers in the tri-state area. But a hockey game at the new Yankee Stadium, that will draw interest from those outside the realm of hockey.
Those who care will care regardless of where its held. The novelty is that the game is outside, the venue is secondary Ralph Wilson Stadium?!?!

Old
01-07-2009, 01:55 PM
D713B

Quote:
Says the New Yorker. The person watching the game on TV is going to watch the game regardless of where its held.

Ratings don't prove as such. The Subway series didn't get great ratings outside NY. The Yankee -Red Sox playoff matchups have not drawn great outside NY and BOS

Those who care will care regardless of where its held. The novelty is that the game is outside, the venue is secondary Ralph Wilson Stadium?!?!
The point is that the event will draw more interest from the largest market in the US. Obviously other areas will watch but captivating the NY/Tri-state market increases their ratings. So would you rather pick up those few people in Nebraska or Wyoming or the millions of people in the Tri-state? The NHL wouldn't even have to spend a dime marketing it if they chose not to because it would be so hyped by the NY media. The point is people aren't going to tune out because its at YS, its only going to add to it. It's not a subway series or NYY/BOS series, its the Winter Classic and holding it at Yankee Stadium would only draw more interest. You can't compare apples to oranges.

Old
01-07-2009, 01:59 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
The point is that the event will draw more interest from the largest market in the US. Obviously other areas will watch but captivating the NY/Tri-state market increases their ratings. So would you rather pick up those few people in Nebraska or Wyoming or the millions of people in the Tri-state? The NHL wouldn't even have to spend a dime marketing it if they chose not to because it would be so hyped by the NY media. The point is people aren't going to tune out because its at YS, its only going to add to it. It's not a subway series or NYY/BOS series, its the Winter Classic and holding it at Yankee Stadium would only draw more interest. You can't compare apples to oranges.
I don't think there's anyone saying I don't care but hey it's at Yankee Stadium so I'll watch.

Old
01-07-2009, 02:02 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deric View Post
You do realize this will be 2010 though right. We're not talking Canadian summer of 1936. I'm sure there is technology to keep an ice rink frozen on a 54 degree day.

And also they've all but said it won't be in Canada or involve a Canadian team because they don't need to promote to them.
Agreed 100%.

Did anyone see the segment on the refrigeration system they had in Chicago? Kept the ice a constant temperature down to 1/10 of a degree. Even if the temp dropped below what they wanted the ice to be, the system was able to still keep the ice at the desired temperature to prevent the surface from cracking. It sounds like they made huge improvements in the system even from the previous year in Buffalo.

New Yankee Stadium would be a great venue for the game. I don't buy the "Yankee Stadium is nothing; there is no history" argument. It's (will be) a state of the art facility and anyone who doesn't think the name "Yankee Stadium" (even if it is the new one) wouldn't add mystique or draw interest from the casual fan that wouldn't care otherwise is kidding themselves.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 02:03 PM
D713B

Quote:
I don't think there's anyone saying I don't care but hey it's at Yankee Stadium so I'll watch.
Most of my friends and family don't give a hoot about hockey but I guarantee you if I told them an outdoor game was being played at YS they would be excited and tune in on New Years Day when most people are in their homes anyway.

Old
01-07-2009, 02:05 PM
SPG

Quote:
If it's held at a place like the Ralph, the venue is secondary. When/if played at a place like Wrigley Field, Fenway Park, etc, it becomes part of the draw. Maybe not to us die-hard hockey fans, but you better bet it does to casual fans looking to catch something on the tube on New Years Day.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote