HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Calgary picks up Simon

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2004, 12:54 PM
Hemmer

vCash: 500
Calgary picks up Simon

Calgary picked up Chris Simon and a 7th for Jamie McLennan, Blair Betts and Greg Moore.

This is brutal. I have no doubt Sutter will get the best out of Simon, but that would be like us trading Conklin, Stoll/Reasoner and Helminen for Simon.

Old
03-06-2004, 12:58 PM
alexx3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer
Calgary picked up Chris Simon and a 7th for Jamie McLennan, Blair Betts and Greg Moore.

This is brutal. I have no doubt Sutter will get the best out of Simon, but that would be like us trading Conklin, Stoll/Reasoner and Helminen for Simon.
I don't agree. Flames did give a lot but then again they already have young guys like Lombardi and Saprykin and besides Betts isn't as good as Stoll or Reasoner and neither is McLennan worth of Conklin. Besides nice to see for change canadian team as buyers and heck, applause for Slats loading 'em up

Old
03-06-2004, 01:08 PM
Mizral

Strange, on TSN it said it was Chris Simon for Josh Green and Jamie McLennan.

Old
03-06-2004, 01:10 PM
t0mf00lery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Strange, on TSN it said it was Chris Simon for Josh Green and Jamie McLennan.
That's what was originally reported, but apparently the Rangers claimed Green off waivers in a seperate transaction.

Old
03-06-2004, 01:55 PM
CupBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer

Not true. Betts may never play again. His last 3 years he has about 10 - 15 games played. Great player, but unfortunately he has major shoulder issue that don't seem to go away.
Also Noodles was talking retirement already so he is not someone that the Flames were counting on.
Green is usless and Moore is a 5th round pick.

Old
03-06-2004, 01:57 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
isnt that the third time since leaving that Green has been picked off waivers?

Old
03-06-2004, 02:00 PM
Oilers Hockey

First Sutter condemns the NEdved trade laughing at Lowe for giving up a 2nd rounder for a rental player, conveniently forgetting Markkanen was included.

Now he goes and trades 3 players for an UFA.

Good job, Sutter!

Old
03-06-2004, 02:00 PM
zamboni

Yep. Second stint with the Rags, too.

Old
03-06-2004, 02:55 PM
CupBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
First Sutter condemns the NEdved trade laughing at Lowe for giving up a 2nd rounder for a rental player, conveniently forgetting Markkanen was included.

Good job, Sutter!
I missed that. Do you have a link?

Sutter is not a guy you believe. Every time he said there were no moves coming he would make a trade. First it was Kipper then Nimiinen and now this. But don't forget that Sutter may want to keep Simon. He only makes 1.5 mil and he could probably sign him while letting Oliwa go. Simon is an enforcer and a hockey player so paying him ~ 2 mil could be justifiable. Oliwa is making 1 mil (500K from Bos) so he may be hard to sigh after the dominating season he has had.

Simon is what Sutter has wanted all season. A big, tough forward that can score and create havoc in front of the net. He is also cheap.

Old
03-06-2004, 03:12 PM
Oilers Hockey

Millions gleefully reported Sutter said it sometime during last nights game. Remember last nights game, in Dallas? Of course I don't have a link unless you expect me to pop a tape in the VCR to record and play it back here.

Looking forward to Laraque painting the ice red with Simon's blood on Tuesday.

Old
03-06-2004, 03:13 PM
OMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan

Good job, Sutter!
Calgary is decimated by injuries on the left side. Reinprecht is hurt. Gelinas was decimated last night (by Kobasew of all people...) and will probably be gone a couple of weeks. That leaves Calgary's LW's as Saprykin, Niemenen and Oliwa. Sutter had to make a move.

Also, you took Sutter's comment out of context I think. It seemed like he condemned it because of what you gave up. That 2nd round draft pick is an asset. Nedved may be worth it, but you can't deny that a 2nd round pick does have value.

Calgary didn't give up anything of significant value. Betts is the most valuable asset they gave. The guy has an upside of a 3rd line center (a lesser Jarret Stoll if you will...). A 24 year old center whose played a grand total of 35 NHL games whose been plagued with shoulder injuries just doesn't have that much value.

I see how this could be considered hypocritical, but the circumstances of the two seperate deals were different.

On that note, Lowe did take Sather. His best trade since he unloaded Poti for York. Good for the Oilers, Nedved will help your drive to the playoffs. I'd love to see a BOA in the playoffs again

Old
03-06-2004, 05:02 PM
Mizral

Simon has one more goal than Nedved this year, so I don't know how bad of a deal this could be if you liked the Nedved one.

Old
03-06-2004, 05:04 PM
Oilers Hockey

Simon also has 10 less points and we also got a good goaltender back so your point is moot.

Old
03-06-2004, 05:22 PM
kruezer

I can't hate on this trade too much, we gave up a lot of question marks and got a guy who can (hopefully) help us make the POs this year.

I did like Blair Betts though that guy is cursed with injuries.

Change the 7th to a 5th and I like this trade much more.

Old
03-06-2004, 05:59 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
Simon has one more goal than Nedved this year, so I don't know how bad of a deal this could be if you liked the Nedved one.
Tell me you didn't just post that. Wait, you did. And the stupidity continues.
You can't compare the two. Nedved has always been a better and more talented and will always be.

Old
03-06-2004, 06:06 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
And Modano has less points than a majority of the NHL..

Old
03-06-2004, 06:11 PM
Oilers Hockey

And Lemeiux has 1,000 less points than Gretzky. That must mean he sucks.

Old
03-06-2004, 06:43 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
isnt that the third time since leaving that Green has been picked off waivers?
Technically only the second, I belive. First by Washington and now by Calgary.

Old
03-06-2004, 10:23 PM
Allan

Last year, the Oilers traded him to the Rangers, who waived him. He was claimed by Washington. I believe he signed with Calgary as a free agent, so only two waiver claims.

Closed Thread