HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Properly lacing your skates

Old
01-11-2009, 08:58 PM
Licou

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
If that's the case your skates may have too much or too little volume for your foot.
That's the major problem with skates usually. You have to remember that skates comes in different boot width as well as boot length. You need to carefully select them since your comfort will come from the fact that your foot is well "warped" inside the boot.

It's the not the laces that will hold your ankle, it's the fact that your leg will be sitting squarely on a feet that feels like it was barefoot. Laces will only add support so that the skates are fasten up to eventually become an appendage of your body

So lacing up is something that is very personal; for myself, I don't tighten my skates very much, just enough so that my feet/ankle won't move in them and cause blisters. I have never injured my foot and by comparing my skating with my peers, it doesn't hinder my skills either.

Licou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 09:06 AM
Ragss

I go really loose up until the 5th from the top, then I leave the top two a little bit loose, 5-3 being nice an tight. Kind of random, but its just a matter of getting my feet to stop hurting.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Tabascomj

I think it all depends on what you are comfortable with. I like my skates as tight as I can get them. The tighter the better. I have one of those lace pullers and they are awesome. No more bloody knuckles for me.

I have learned in the past few weeks of taking my kids to skating lessons and IP hockey that you should not wrap you laces around the boot. If you have that much extra laces left they are too long. Good Luck!

Tabascomj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 06:36 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
It's not the worst thing you can do. It adds a bit of support to older boots that don't offer much. I used to do it with an old cheap pair of externos I had, but since I moved to a composite skate I haven't needed to.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 08:33 PM
noobman

Update:
I relaced my skates outside-inside, and I double laced one of the eyelets. Now I can get my skates as tight as I need, and I can keep the top eyelet open.

I did some FANTASTIC skating on Wednesday night

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 01:46 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licou View Post
That's the major problem with skates usually. You have to remember that skates comes in different boot width as well as boot length. You need to carefully select them since your comfort will come from the fact that your foot is well "warped" inside the boot.

It's the not the laces that will hold your ankle, it's the fact that your leg will be sitting squarely on a feet that feels like it was barefoot. Laces will only add support so that the skates are fasten up to eventually become an appendage of your body

So lacing up is something that is very personal; for myself, I don't tighten my skates very much, just enough so that my feet/ankle won't move in them and cause blisters. I have never injured my foot and by comparing my skating with my peers, it doesn't hinder my skills either.
Don't forget depth/volume. Compare a one90/one75 skate to a one95. I see waaay too many people that look like they're baking bread in their skates. Laces should lay pretty flat.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 03:10 PM
87vert

I changed my laces to outside in, I'll try them out this weekend.

87vert is offline   Reply With Quote