HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Running Up the Score"

Old
01-06-2009, 06:32 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
I completely disagree with you. It doesn't apply at all. Because not only is it competitive in nature (like a lot of things we CAN identify with in our own careers), but competitiveness is the whole, entire point. The idea is to always beat the other team. Every single time. We don't let the other team win once just because it's christmas.

If you want to make me understand what mercy in sports has to do with class, you shouldn't make analogies to regular life. Try another tack.
Ok, well no need to get so worked up....but that analogy works for me. It is by no means a perfect analogy, as I said, our work situations and environments may be very different from the NHL, but I don't think it's difficult to see how the general line of thinking applies to a certain extent, with regards to class and respect for your peers.

And I don't want to "make you understand what mercy in sports has to do with class." I'm simply offering up my opinion on the subject. You apparently disagree with it. No problem, end of discussion.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:07 PM
facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
There is a thing called class. Some teams have it, some teams don't. It's not about having mercy. Winning 7-1 in hockey or 45-0 in football is pretty legit if you aren't throwing the number 1 PP unit out there with 2 minutes to go, or throwing in the fourth quarter.
brashear was running around like a ****** and trying to get something started he had just ran someone from behind and taken a penalty. If your opponent is going to show that much lack of.... then as a coach you put out the number 1 unit and run it up.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:22 PM
kicksave27

yeah, after watching the flyers get obliterated almost every game by 3 or more goals a game 2 years ago. I have no remorse. This year's slogan should have been "more vengeance".

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:33 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
brashear was running around like a ****** and trying to get something started he had just ran someone from behind and taken a penalty. If your opponent is going to show that much lack of.... then as a coach you put out the number 1 unit and run it up.
I never said the Flyers were classless for running up the score on the Caps. In fact, I saw this thread before I heard about Boudreau's comments.

That 7-1 game was one of those 'ok blowouts'. The Flyers weren't trying to embarrass the Caps in that game, they just happened to score a lot of goals.

The classless part comes in with teams like the New England Patriots last year, when they are up 35 points with 4:00 to play, and run a no huddle and throw the ball every down to try to get to 50 points or **** like that.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:40 PM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
The classless part comes in with teams like the New England Patriots last year, when they are up 35 points with 4:00 to play, and run a no huddle and throw the ball every down to try to get to 50 points or **** like that.
How is that classless. Why.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:49 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
How is that classless. Why.
As Belichick says, it's not my job to stop my offense from scoring, it's yours. I'm not a fan of the guy by any stretch, but I kinda agree with him there.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:00 PM
zheroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
As Belichick says, it's not my job to stop my offense from scoring, it's yours. I'm not a fan of the guy by any stretch, but I kinda agree with him there.
This is my exact feeling on it. If the Flyers are getting blown out my first reaction isn't "wow what a classless display by the other team, scoring more goals " It's always frustration with my team for not doing anything to stop it.

zheroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:21 PM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
I had to quote this again just to lol at your choice of words.

"**** like that"

Yeah, who wants to see their team score 50 points in a game? Only someone with a hole full of garbage for morals would ever want that to happen

We could do without people like that in the world. Wanting their team to score fifty points.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 12:38 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
yeah, after watching the flyers get obliterated almost every game by 3 or more goals a game 2 years ago. I have no remorse. This year's slogan should have been "more vengeance".
When I was watching the, Rags and Pens game last night, I saw a Rags fan holding a sign that said, "Vengeance is our's!" Man, I really hope that isn't their slogan this year

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 01:35 AM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

It's called karma, see Patriots.

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Mongie

Coaches and players can't complain about running up the score. Goals-for is a tie breaker in the NHL.

It's not about class or mercy or any of that. It's about playing to win. If, by some stroke of fate, two teams were tied for that 8th spot, scoring more goals could be the difference between making it in or not. Who is Boudreau to tell the Flyers to give up their competitiveness to save himself some embarrassment?

If anything, we the fans need to be a little on edge in those situations just to make sure Stevens isn't putting our skill guys in needless danger.

Mongie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCannon View Post
It's called karma, see Patriots.
Or alternatively, it's called sports. Every team gets its fair share of breaks and bad breaks, blowouts for and against, etc. It's funny when people whine about being blown out because it's not like it hasn't happened before. It's part of sports. A loss is a loss. Grow up.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
What exactly does running up the score mean?

Is it when your team is in the groove and the other team isn't...and you go out to a 6 goal lead in the second period? I call that competing and kicking ass...and in todays NHL, a two, three and sometimes four goal lead depending on the time left in the game isn't out of the realm of possilbilities.

However...if a team has a significant lead (We'll use the 7-2 score here for good measure), and they are awarded a PP with a minute left...then I think it's only right to give the third/fourth line guys some PP time.

By no stretch of the imagination do you pull back with significant time left, that's when injuries and other crazy things happen.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 11:35 AM
AaronTrieu

Remember when the Canes were up 5-1? What happened? Keep the foot to the floor. Especially if the other team is taking bad penalties.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Brophy

didnt the Caps pound the **** out of Boston last year like 10-2?

Brophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
Am I mistaken or didn't Michel Therrien kind of accuse the Flyers of the same thing after we beat them soundly earlier this season? And wasn't it mere days after the Pens "fairly" put up 9 goals on the hapless Isles (It's not running up the score if Cindy's involved I guess)?
Yep. Just more reason to hate those ****ers. And just like what was said before, look at the Carolina game. I bet they wish they ran up the score.

I agree with most of the posters here. Don't want to be embarrassed? Play defense.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 05:31 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
I think it is even more classless when your Men's league team is up 10-2 and the opposing goalie walks off the ice with 7 minutes left in the 3rd period because his team doesn't play D and allows breakaways and one-timers in the slot. Don't get pissed at us because we are playing well. Get angry at your team for not sitting your D back and leaving one guy real high.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote