HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What should I know and be able to do going into my first season of hockey?

Old
01-13-2009, 10:19 AM
hsing

vCash: 500
Quote:
I don't wanna hijack this thread but I'm a similar beginner and need help with simple offensive situations. When you're rushing in off the wing, what do you do? Most of the time, I just keep going deeper and then lose the puck, or sometimes, I see a pile-up of bodies near the net so I just try to pass it there, and sometimes, I just let the defenseman get the best of me and he'll steal the puck. What should I do and what are my options?

When this situation occured to me, I try to use one of the options that are available to me for the situation. In order, I check if I'm alone in the zone or if another forward has come with me and is a target for a pass. If there is one, I will try to make a pass to him. If I'm alone or the forward with me can't get that pass, I will then watch who is the d-man. Sometimes, you get that odd man who covered his d-man while he pinched but he's not good to pokecheck and play defense. If it's the case, and I have enough space and time, I will try to get by him by myself, whether by deking him or to skate by him. If it's a true d-man, then I will most of the time by stop, and wait for others to join the attack and look for pass or shot. If no choice at all, I will dump the puck in. These choices must be made really fast in order to avoid a turnover who could put your team in trouble hard and this scenario is when I could get in the offensive zone, not when i'm looking to do that. At the blue line, you will want to either dump in safely, make a pass to someone open or go in open space.

hsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:59 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipriani14 View Post
i did just that... im surprised my team mates could not hear my repeating to myself "stick on the ice..stick on the ice"
If you don't say it someone will yell it from the bench. That and, "KEEP TWO HANDS ON THE STICK!!" It's good advice, actually. If you reach with one hand on the stick you're not likely to have enough strength to adequately handle the puck and it's much easier for an opponent take it from you. If you handle only the pucks you can reach with both hands on the stick you might miss a few but you'll be able to do more with the ones you get.

Quote:
most of my falls came from losing my balance when attmepting to shoot..or stop

any advice on shooting and staying standing after?
Just to add to what nullterm said, make sure you're not putting all your weight forward. If you're already leaning forward and then you push the puck forward you'll fall forward. Bend your knees, keep your butt down and your shoulders back and your balance will be more centered.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 02:38 PM
McNasty

If your ever unsure of what to do with the puck, and you have teamates on the doorstep fire a low shot. Make an effort to get the shot on net, rather then beat the goalie especially with traffic.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote