HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Atlantic Division

Old
01-06-2009, 09:57 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
The Atlantic Division

This division looks like it , once again, could be a very tight race for the playoff spots.

Have to like some of what Phillys been bringing.

The Devils look the same with or without Brodeur. Maybe Marty really is just a regular goaltender playing within a great system after all.

The Pens have enough talent to right that ship

Who do you see having the better second half of the season?

01-06-2009, 10:11 AM
ThirdEye

I see Pittsburgh breaking out of the slump eventually.

Buffalo might climb the standings as well. Not sure if Florida will remain in the race, but it could happen considering they have two goalies that have been playing great.

We'll probably finish 7th or 8th

EDIT: Just saw that this is about the Atlantic. Flyers, Pittsburgh and Devils will probably all make the playoffs

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
This division looks like it , once again, could be a very tight race for the playoff spots.

The Devils look the same with or without Brodeur. Maybe Marty really is just a regular goaltender playing within a great system after all.

Yes... Clemmenson is just as good . Has nothing to do with Parise and Elias being monsters this year... or the team as a whole improving tremendously, and being incredibly balanced both offensively/defensively for the first time in awhile :

I think the Rangers rebound, and combined with Philly and New Jersey all three teams duke it out for 2nd,3rd, and 4th in the division.

Gomez is a second-half kind of player. He needs games to count in order for him to play hard. Zherdov is due for a bit of a scoring streak. I think Naslund and Drury will be steady point producers (nothing crazy). Guys like Voros and Callahan will be team players. Staal will remain steady, and I expect Girardi to step it up again. Lundqvist has been consistently good down the regular season stretch, so I wouldn't worry about him.

Philadelphia still doesn't have the goalie they need! It's been their weakness for years! They had a decent goalie in 2000 but couldn't put it all together. I will say this, they have some of the most balanced scoring lines out of any team in the league. Their defense is.. eh. Coburn hasn't improved like most thought he would. Timmonen slumped it up, a bit. But he's coming back into form. If Biron plays the rest of the season like he did in last year's post season, then they have a shot.

I think Pittsburgh snaps out of their monster slump and goes on the tear we all expect them to do, and win the division. Fleury didn't play well last night, but we know he's a very good goalie. Fedontenko has a reputation for being a big-game guy. Or at least he was that one post season. Maybe he helps ignite that offense. I think Satan comes back to "ok" level, cause right now he is far below that. But seriously how much longer can Malkin go without scoring a goal? Or Crosby without registering a point? That won't last long.

Eitherway, once Whitney gets settled in their defense is automatically upgraded. Orpik looked pretty solid last night.

The Isles, as always, take a look from afar. But they'll only get their wins against divisional opponents, just to piss the rest of the Atlantic off.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:13 AM
BrianLeetch2

Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post

Buffalo might climb the standings as well. Not sure if Florida will remain in the race, but it could happen considering they have two goalies that have been playing great.

I think he meant only the Atlantic division lol but i do agree seeing buffalo might make a push but i can see all the teams(minus the islanders) being close right to the very end...And i do agree with the above poster that clemensson and broduer are not even in the same league not knocking on scott, but i am amazed how well they are playing without marty

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:26 AM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Quote:

Hmm kinda odd it only took him being out one time ever and that is already evident?

But no guys I'm sure he'd win 3 cups playing for columbus!

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

The flygerls are dangerous no doubt, and the debbies are rolling and will have a fresh marty leading up to the playoffs.

pens could continue to have probs but cannot be counted out.

Damn, it's a tough division isn't it?

Rangers are as a big a question mark as the pens at this point.

March will be an intertesting month. icelanders will look to spoil for anyone they come across. It's all they have.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:02 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:

EDIT: Just saw that this is about the Atlantic. Flyers, Pittsburgh and Devils will probably all make the playoffs

Did you just use florida and good goaltending in the same sentence?

Ok anderson has been great but vokoun is another story

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Garfinkel1

I See the Devs winning the division only because Marty is going to be fresh for the end of the season/playoffs.
It's gonna be close between the Devs/Rags/Flyers. I say 4 points between the three. Pens will make the playoffs however just not a very high seed.

(We play the flyers the last two games of the year. It could be to decide Who wins the division or for a higher seed.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:06 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger View Post
Did you just use florida and good goaltending in the same sentence?

Ok anderson has been great but vokoun is another story
Not his best season, but he hasn't been terrible. I'm not saying they will climb all the way to the number 1 spot, but I can see them fighting for the 8th spot.

I can see Philly finishing on the top of the division if Biron starts playing better. Their depth at offense is scary.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:13 AM
FromTheSide

Quote:
Not his best season, but he hasn't been terrible. I'm not saying they will climb all the way to the number 1 spot, but I can see them fighting for the 8th spot.

I can see Philly finishing on the top of the division if Biron starts playing better. Their depth at offense is scary.
I guess i wouldnt call him "terrible" but i would go as low as Jason LOLbabera in LA-calibur. *trust me not a compliment*

Old
01-06-2009, 11:16 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyH2O View Post

Has nothing to do with Parise and Elias being monsters this year... or the team as a whole improving tremendously, and being incredibly balanced both offensively/defensively for the first time in awhile :

Maybe its a locker room issue. This is really the first we've seen the Devils without Brodeur in ages and they look just as good, maybe even better. More balanced as you say.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Maybe its a locker room issue. This is really the first we've seen the Devils without Brodeur in ages and they look just as good, maybe even better. More balanced as you say.
Its mainly cause, aside from Marty, they have their full line-up I envisioned back in September. I was extremely excited about their line-up. For different reasons, the line-up has met my expectations as a whole for the team. Trust me, a healthy Brodeur with the way the team is currently playing = a better team then one with Clemmenson. Even though statistically Clemmenson is doing very well, just watch his play. He's not nearly the goalie Brodeur is, in many aspects. Its funny, the last goalie I really saw a lot of was Terreri. I took for granted all the little things Brodeur does, that add up to make him the goalie he is.

But as for Marty being "fresh and ready" for the playoffs... I'm not quite nearly as optimistic. He's scheduled around March to come back. Then he has to come back to form. I don't know. He had major reconstructive surgery done. He surely won't have the endurance... at least in his catching arm.

Its a shame with the Isles, really. I know this board has no love lost for them. But can they finally get good?! They're best young prospect, in my opinion, is Okposo. And he is a very good, NHL-caliber hockey player, but not quite the lamp-lighter they need.

But, that team has some heart. If somehow they manage to get into the mix of things towards the end of the stretch... I'd be worried about them. Possibly a 2007 thing all over again. But... then again, its the Isles

Old
01-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

I think they're going to sign Okposo to a 28-year contract at the end of the season.

Sorry

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Fletch

it's going to be a fun second half.

I'm not sold on PITT because I'm not sold on their defense. I felt the same way last season but was proven wrong, but I still feel the same way this season and think that they'll struggle to get that final spot, but I think ultimately that Crosby will come around and can lead them past Buffalo or Carolina.

Jersey's going to be Jersey. I won't get into the Brodeur argument because it's not one in which a Rangers fan wouldn't be biased. They're playing good hockey. The missing ingredient last season was clutch and consistent scoring, and they seem to have that this season. They'll be fighting with the Rangers and Flyers all season long for that top spot.

I think Boston will continue to be strong, but will have its bouts with mediocrity and will be taken over by Montreal who will get better.

In the Southeast - Washington will continue to win.

Right now in the East I honestly see the top 6 teams as being at least the top 8 teams at the end of the day. What can change this is any potential moves that the 4 or 5 teams vying for the last two spots may complete. I don't know the cap room or trade bait they have, nor their appetite for a move that can help them, so it's really tough for me to comment.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:58 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:

I knew this would be brought up sooner or later... and if you think about it, theres a bit of an argument there.

I actually want Brodeur to come back... say what? yeah, the sooner the better.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:36 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post
Hmm kinda odd it only took him being out one time ever and that is already evident?

But no guys I'm sure he'd win 3 cups playing for columbus!

so if you play on a good team you can never be a good goalie? good to know

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:40 PM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

The system is magical.

It's going to be a 4-way dog fight.

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:09 PM
FromTheSide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
it's going to be a fun second half.

I'm not sold on PITT because I'm not sold on their defense. I felt the same way last season but was proven wrong, but I still feel the same way this season and think that they'll struggle to get that final spot, but I think ultimately that Crosby will come around and can lead them past Buffalo or Carolina.

Jersey's going to be Jersey. I won't get into the Brodeur argument because it's not one in which a Rangers fan wouldn't be biased. They're playing good hockey. The missing ingredient last season was clutch and consistent scoring, and they seem to have that this season. They'll be fighting with the Rangers and Flyers all season long for that top spot.

I think Boston will continue to be strong, but will have its bouts with mediocrity and will be taken over by Montreal who will get better.

In the Southeast - Washington will continue to win.

Right now in the East I honestly see the top 6 teams as being at least the top 8 teams at the end of the day. What can change this is any potential moves that the 4 or 5 teams vying for the last two spots may complete. I don't know the cap room or trade bait they have, nor their appetite for a move that can help them, so it's really tough for me to comment.
Boston is going to be VERY intresting to watch on the account that they have played the worst teams in the nhl for like the past 2 months now seriously.

it seems like every other game they are playing carolina or atlanta or tampa bay.

Old
01-06-2009, 01:16 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Whites Eye View Post
so if you play on a good team you can never be a good goalie? good to know

Well he's obviously good, but perhaps not really any better that say Chis Osgood or Cujo. Perhaps, he just benefited from the system all these years.

He did win Gold for TC in 2002 Olympics but as TC goaltender in the 2006 Olympics they didnt even medal. Maybe hes just getting old

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Well he's obviously good, but perhaps not really any better that say Chis Osgood or Cujo. Perhaps, he just benefited from the system all these years.

He did win Gold for TC in 2002 Olympics but as TC goaltender in the 2006 Olympics they didnt even medal. Maybe hes just getting old
Does that take away from your opinion on Lundqvist? Playing behind a defensive system?

Cause its your system now. "We're a 2-1 team" - Tom Renney

Let me know how that works out for you in 10 years...

I don't know how a "system" can have anything to do with the quality saves a player makes. You know he has that game-stealing ability, and has had it for years. He has done it time and time again. Sure, maybe his stats as a whole have benefited. But stats don't tell the story. It feels, to me, like you're going on stats.

Watch Clemmenson play a game, and then watch Brodeur. One is in control, one is just getting the job done.

If this system is so infallible, why isn't Weeke's succeeding? Why did Scott Clemmenson lose 5 of his 7 straight game starts in 2005... the last time Brodeur was hurt??

Lets look at the Rangers defensive system. Lets look at their backup, and Valiquette's numbers. Hmmm... he's doing well. Lundqvist is good, Valley's numbers are just as good. Must be the team, if Valiquette puts up better numbers than Lundqvist. DO YOU SEE YOUR RATIONALE? By your logic, it would appear Valiquette is the better goalie. Sounds ridiculous? Its a similar argument to what you're supplying.

I know this is a Ranger board, and bias should be expected. But those are stats. Clemmenson is having a good run, playing well enough, and the Devils are consistenly scoring 3+ goals a game. They're goals scored average took a dip, cause they had back to back shutouts. But as a whole, this is a more offensive team.

If you legitimately think its the system, then I either question your knowledge of the game, or must simply assume you're baiting posters into this argument. If its the latter, well then congratulations.

Last edited by Mr Bojanglez: 01-06-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old
01-06-2009, 01:30 PM
FromTheSide

Quote:
Does that take away from your opinion on Lundqvist? Playing behind a defensive system?

Cause its your system now. "We're a 2-1 team" - Tom Renney

Let me know how that works out for you in 10 years...

I don't know how a "system" can have anything to do with the quality saves a player makes. You know he has that game-stealing ability, and has had it for years. He has done it time and time again. Sure, maybe his stats as a whole have benefited. But stats don't tell the story. It feels, to me, like you're going on stats.

Watch Clemmenson play a game, and then watch Brodeur. One is in control, one is just getting the job done.

If this system is so infallible, why isn't Weeke's succeeding? Why did Scott Clemmenson lose 5 of his 7 straight game starts in 2005... the last time Brodeur was hurt??

Lets look at the Rangers defensive system. Lets look at their backup, and Valiquette's numbers. Hmmm... he's doing well. Lundqvist isn't good, Valley's numbers are just as good. Must be the team. DO YOU SEE YOUR RATIONALE? By your logic, it would appear Valiquette is the better goalie

I know this is a Ranger board, and bias should be expected. But those are stats. Clemmenson is having a good run, playing well enough, and the Devils are consistenly scoring 3+ goals a game. They're goals scored average took a dip, cause they had back to back shutouts. But as a whole, this is a more offensive team.
screw what renney says nobody likes this 2-1 crap.
i'm sure you've seen your share of ranger games where lundqvist absolutely robs people like highway robbery,look at his performance in the olympics which was not that long ago.

he's in his prime its as simple as that and broduer is aging.
(and no this isint a bias opinion i didnt say he sucks i said he's aging)

Old
01-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
i'm sure you've seen your share of ranger games where lundqvist absolutely robs people like highway robbery,look at his performance in the olympics which was not that long ago.

he's in his prime its as simple as that and broduer is aging.
(and no this isint a bias opinion i didnt say he sucks i said he's aging)
That's my point exactly. You can't go by numbers, you have to go on what you've seen. I was playing devils advocate. I think Lundqvist is a good goalie.

But saying Brodeur played behind a system, it isn't as good as he is made out to be.. its ridiculous. Or suggesting its the system, simply cause Clemmenson has good numbers. Actually watch the goalies play, watch their poise... rebound control, positioning, then make a judgment on their level of play. I said in another thread. Statistically, Lundqvist had a horrible December. But I saw the games, and won't blame him for all those losses.

Brodeur is aging, I won't argue with biological science. I don't feel his play is dropping off, as evidenced by last year and the start of this season. I'll admit, Lundqvist is younger and poised to start his prime years. Doesn't mean I'd take Lundqvist over Brodeur. After the end of this season, maybe I'll feel that way.

------------------------------
To get on track. At least for the Devils, I'm hoping Clemmenson keeps up his play... or the team does as a whole. I'm not so positive that Brodeur will come back in great shape. He had major surgery done. I'm unfortunately waiting for the glass slipper on Clemmenson's season

Old
01-06-2009, 01:45 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Hate to admit it, as usual, but the Devils are the best team in this division, especially when they get a rested Martang for the playoffs.

I think Philly is very capable of making a return trip to the Conference Finals, but I still don't think Biron is a good enough goalie to win it all for them.

I think the Pens will bounce back, especially if they have a coaching change which is a possibility. I see them overtaking the Rangers, or at least coming very close to it.

I think the Rangers, barring any significant moves, will have more of the same for most of the season. They'll finish as the seventh seed, maybe sixth, maybe eighth. I don't think they would fair very well in a seven-game series against any of Boston, NJ or Washington. I could see them maybe surprising Philly.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:47 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
As long as the Rangers have the 2, I'm fine with it.

01-06-2009, 01:47 PM
FromTheSide

Quote:
That's my point exactly. You can't go by numbers, you have to go on what you've seen. I was playing devils advocate. I think Lundqvist is a good goalie.

But saying Brodeur played behind a system, it isn't as good as he is made out to be.. its ridiculous. Or suggesting its the system, simply cause Clemmenson has good numbers. Actually watch the goalies play, watch their poise... rebound control, positioning, then make a judgment on their level of play. I said in another thread. Statistically, Lundqvist had a horrible December. But I saw the games, and won't blame him for all those losses.

Brodeur is aging, I won't argue with biological science. I don't feel his play is dropping off, as evidenced by last year and the start of this season. I'll admit, Lundqvist is younger and poised to start his prime years. Doesn't mean I'd take Lundqvist over Brodeur. After the end of this season, maybe I'll feel that way.

------------------------------
To get on track. At least for the Devils, I'm hoping Clemmenson keeps up his play... or the team does as a whole. I'm not so positive that Brodeur will come back in great shape. He had major surgery done. I'm unfortunately waiting for the glass slipper on Clemmenson's season

Lets not forget broduer had major surgery ,he may never play like he did ever again who knows.