HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should the training staff be replaced?

Old
01-10-2009, 10:58 AM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Should the training staff be replaced?

It seems like every season we have a ton of injuries at some point of the year. At some point, does the blame get laid at the feet of the training staff, and do we need to replace them and bring in an entirely new regimen?

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
It's something every team goes through...it's life in the NHL with an 82 game schedule. In the case of the Flyers, it's exacerbated by the tendency for Philly teams to play physical hockey...which leads to injuries.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 01:07 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

the trainers have been fine. mcrossin even went up to stevens and told him he was giving kimmo a practice day off because he needed it. the guy is a strength and conditioning coach.

this isnt irresponsible actions. this is forethought. were not talking about injuries that were created due to neglect on the trainers part. briere coming back and getting injured again, wasnt their fault. he really felt 100%.

im pretty sure they al learned from the primeau situation about taking time to come back from injury.

can you lay blameon them for blocked shots? an adominal pull or a groun pull? these guys do stretches all the time. im not sure exactly what you think would cause a new staff?

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 01:13 PM
chaosof99*

I don't really think you can blame the training staff here. I mean they do enough stretches and you certainly can't blame injuries resulting from blocked shots on them and even less when they come from players getting hit from behind or elbowed in the head.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 04:25 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It's something every team goes through...it's life in the NHL with an 82 game schedule. In the case of the Flyers, it's exacerbated by the tendency for Philly teams to play physical hockey...which leads to injuries.
Dead on. End Thread.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 05:00 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I'm starting to wonder, even outside of the actual injuries, just the way they were handled.

Most notably recently:

Gagne last year who was not diagnosed properly.
Briere this year who was allowed to come back too early.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 05:05 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I'm starting to wonder, even outside of the actual injuries, just the way they were handled.

Most notably recently:

Gagne last year who was not diagnosed properly.
Briere this year who was allowed to come back too early.
This is my concern too. Not the injuries themselves as they will and are going to happen. For me it's the handling of the injury.

We can go back a few years and bring up Lindros' name too. Same staff isn't it?

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 05:14 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Dead on. End Thread.
I'd have to second that. Imagine if football injuries got blamed on teams medical staffs. Flyers still play that grind it out style(despite a quick transition game and smaller more skilled players), "if you want to dance you've got to pay the fiddler."

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 10:27 PM
MsWoof

Every team goes through this, not just the Flyers.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 11:10 PM
kicksave27

maybe if they didn't let gagne play with "dehydration" last year he wouldn't have been lost for the remainder of the year and could have been healthy for the playoffs.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 12:29 AM
ELab2

physical style may explain it some, but I get concerned by the seemingly endless number of pulls and strains that guys get every year not as the result of some contact but just in the course of play. I suppose it should be evaluated and probably has been.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 02:06 AM
phlocky

If you discount Hatcher and Rathje then I believe the Flyers are actually on pace to have their FEWEST man-games lost this season out of the last 5 or more. If we didn't ****-can them in the past when we were at nearly 600 of a season then why would we ****-can them when they've improved to this season us only having some 300??? They will have cut that number nearly in half.

I still think there must be something in the damn water that makes the players brittle. Hell it happens to EVERY team in Philly, not just the Flyers. Maybe there are some long term effects from TMI that they aren't telling us about and it's in our water suppoy now. Maybe the injuries to the athletes in our town are the only noticable way we have of percieving it.

Oh no, I think I may be on to something with this. I think I hear someone outside coming to get me. WE AREN'T SUPPOSE TO KNOW. DON'T LET THEM GET AWAY WITH IT!!!

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 03:45 AM
Chainsaw

This comes up every year

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote