HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

my jan 09 mock draft

Old
01-06-2009, 09:56 PM
Ian Esplen
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
my jan 09 mock draft

1-nyi-VICTOR HEDMAN- i like tavares a lot better but when your as bad as the isles you need help everywhere and i'm a firm believer in starting with the backend 1st. they 1st need a few D who can move the puck up because even if they got tavares next year they still have no one to move the puck to him.

2-atl-JOHN TAVARES- this is a no brainer kovalchuk will have someone to play with and with a few free agents (mainly a goalie) i think they're a playoff team

3-tb-JARED COWAN- they need D, Cowan is going to be a good one to, he could step in next year to

4-ott-MATT DUCHENE- sens need a 2nd line centre, duchene could maybe do that next year if he gets a bit stronger, great speed and an all around game

5-stl-JORDAN SCHROEDER- for some reason i just think he's the blues type of guy, they like college kids and he's one of the best players left in 5 spot

6-nash-EVANDER KANE- preds need a scorer and kane can do that and brings energy to a team, preds also like to draft out of the west so i see him going here

7-tor-BRAYDEN SCHENN- not who i would take here but most leafs fans will want another schenn, he's also a burke type player, big strong kid who hits and scores

8-la-M. SVENSSON-PAAJARVI- imo the kings should be able to draft their already stacked in talent but they could us a winger, i'm not sold on the way MSP finishes but he gets a ton of chanes and 6"2 guys that skate like him are rare.

9-col-RYAN ELLIS- like i said offence start from the back end 1st, ellis can move the puck as good as any and is one of the best players left

10-dal- DMITRI KULIKOV- this will depend if kulikov will stay in north america. the stars need a high end D, if he won't stay look for them to take the BPA either morin or kadri

11-fla- NAZEM KADRI- i'm not a huge fan of his(i see him more 20-25) but a lot of people like him and he a good 2-way guy with speed, some will say BPA

12-cbj-JEREMY MORIN- they need a centre and morin hands are sick, not sure about his d and skating but the kid has skill and works hard so that may come around

13-edm- RICHARD PANIK- i like a lot although he is sliding for me after a so/so wjhc. still he has size speed and skill as good as any

14-pitt-PETER HOLLAND- i think they need a d and a character winger but i can see them dealing staal for that if they think they won't sign him, holland has size and skill and can fill in for staal in a year or 2

15-min-LANDON FERRARO- minny needs a lot, ferraro is a very solid 2-way guy with speed, i've heard brandon sutter comparisons and thats right down minny's alley

16-phx-STEFAN ELLIOTT- yotes need a D to go with all those young forwards, elliott is said to be a poor mans neidermayer and can fly, perfect for the yotes

17-buf-ZACK KASSIAN- i like kassian a lot and have him higher, he'll give the sabres balance with all the small skill forwards they have

18-car-DAVID RUNDBLAD- I love the way he plays and imo is a top 5 D in the draft, i hope the canucks can get him. is a great skating, high skill guy with size and a great shot, canes could use a puck mover.

19-ahn- TAYLOR DOHERTY- the ducks need D and i know burke is gone but there are still guys in charge that know how they won 2 years back by being big and tough and doherty is that

20-van-SCOTT GLENNIE- i would love it if kassian or rundblad fall but i don't see it so canucks take the BPA and get a good solid one in Glennie, i think he's out played schenn this year and is a pure snipper with good size and speed

21-nj- TOMMI KIVISTO- i'm not sold on him and need some work in his postioning, has all the tools to be an all star one day if he can get it together

22-chi- JACOB JOSEFSON- hawks need a 2nd line centre and josefson can be that one day, a very good 2-way guy who imo has a high side of daniel alfredson

23-phi-OLIVIER ROY- they may wait til the 2nd to take a goalie seeing as its a bit of a weak year but roy to me is still the best goalie but lee, and few others are closing fast fills their #1 need

24-cal-SIMON DESPRES- big solid all around D,also BPA, calgary has a bit of a need a d imo but a forward wouldn't suprise me

25-mtl-LOUIS LEBLANC- french canadian kid who the canadians can wait on seeing as he's going the college route, i think his high end is gagne. another kid i have a bit higher

26-nyr-TOMAS VINCOUR- rangers need a scoring winger and vicour may be that although i'm not sold on him, worst case he's a guy with size and skill who can play on their 2/3rd line.

27-wash-DREW SHORE- i'm not a big fan of his but a lot of people say he's a 1st rder and he's the best player left at 27 he could be a steal

28-det-JOONAS NATTINEN- big skilled, guy who fits the wings system, i could see lander, Palmieri, or Erixson

29-bos-JOHN MOORE- i think they need D and moore is a safe pick, he's big, physical and makes smart passes

30-ott (from sj)-MIKE LEE- sens need a goalie and its a bit of a weak draft for that still lee is a solid prospect who may start one day

Ian Esplen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 10:08 AM
roc1091

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenman92 View Post
1-nyi-VICTOR HEDMAN- i like tavares a lot better but when your as bad as the isles you need help everywhere and i'm a firm believer in starting with the backend 1st. they 1st need a few D who can move the puck up because even if they got tavares next year they still have no one to move the puck to him.
isles would take tavares they need to sell tix

roc1091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 03:56 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I'm happy with the Flyers pick.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
The Oilers would take Zach Kassian ahead of Richard Panik. We need that gritty Getzlaf type of player here. If Edmonton is picking at around 10-15 look for them to be picking one of Kassian or Schenn.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Angelo25

panik is too hight but as far as vancouver goes.. i would love scott glennie/ simon depres or leblanc..

Angelo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:

2-atl-JOHN TAVARES- this is a no brainer kovalchuk will have someone to play with and with a few free agents (mainly a goalie) i think they're a playoff team

3-tb-JARED COWAN- they need D, Cowan is going to be a good one to, he could step in next year to

4-ott-MATT DUCHENE- sens need a 2nd line centre, duchene could maybe do that next year if he gets a bit stronger, great speed and an all around game

5-stl-JORDAN SCHROEDER- for some reason i just think he's the blues type of guy, they like college kids and he's one of the best players left in 5 spot

6-nash-EVANDER KANE- preds need a scorer and kane can do that and brings energy to a team, preds also like to draft out of the west so i see him going here

7-tor-BRAYDEN SCHENN- not who i would take here but most leafs fans will want another schenn, he's also a burke type player, big strong kid who hits and scores

8-la-M. SVENSSON-PAAJARVI- imo the kings should be able to draft their already stacked in talent but they could us a winger, i'm not sold on the way MSP finishes but he gets a ton of chanes and 6"2 guys that skate like him are rare.

9-col-RYAN ELLIS- like i said offence start from the back end 1st, ellis can move the puck as good as any and is one of the best players left

10-dal- DMITRI KULIKOV- this will depend if kulikov will stay in north america. the stars need a high end D, if he won't stay look for them to take the BPA either morin or kadri

11-fla- NAZEM KADRI- i'm not a huge fan of his(i see him more 20-25) but a lot of people like him and he a good 2-way guy with speed, some will say BPA

12-cbj-JEREMY MORIN- they need a centre and morin hands are sick, not sure about his d and skating but the kid has skill and works hard so that may come around

13-edm- RICHARD PANIK- i like a lot although he is sliding for me after a so/so wjhc. still he has size speed and skill as good as any

14-pitt-PETER HOLLAND- i think they need a d and a character winger but i can see them dealing staal for that if they think they won't sign him, holland has size and skill and can fill in for staal in a year or 2

15-min-LANDON FERRARO- minny needs a lot, ferraro is a very solid 2-way guy with speed, i've heard brandon sutter comparisons and thats right down minny's alley

16-phx-STEFAN ELLIOTT- yotes need a D to go with all those young forwards, elliott is said to be a poor mans neidermayer and can fly, perfect for the yotes

17-buf-ZACK KASSIAN- i like kassian a lot and have him higher, he'll give the sabres balance with all the small skill forwards they have

18-car-DAVID RUNDBLAD- I love the way he plays and imo is a top 5 D in the draft, i hope the canucks can get him. is a great skating, high skill guy with size and a great shot, canes could use a puck mover.

19-ahn- TAYLOR DOHERTY- the ducks need D and i know burke is gone but there are still guys in charge that know how they won 2 years back by being big and tough and doherty is that

20-van-SCOTT GLENNIE- i would love it if kassian or rundblad fall but i don't see it so canucks take the BPA and get a good solid one in Glennie, i think he's out played schenn this year and is a pure snipper with good size and speed

21-nj- TOMMI KIVISTO- i'm not sold on him and need some work in his postioning, has all the tools to be an all star one day if he can get it together

22-chi- JACOB JOSEFSON- hawks need a 2nd line centre and josefson can be that one day, a very good 2-way guy who imo has a high side of daniel alfredson

23-phi-OLIVIER ROY- they may wait til the 2nd to take a goalie seeing as its a bit of a weak year but roy to me is still the best goalie but lee, and few others are closing fast fills their #1 need

24-cal-SIMON DESPRES- big solid all around D,also BPA, calgary has a bit of a need a d imo but a forward wouldn't suprise me

25-mtl-LOUIS LEBLANC- french canadian kid who the canadians can wait on seeing as he's going the college route, i think his high end is gagne. another kid i have a bit higher

26-nyr-TOMAS VINCOUR- rangers need a scoring winger and vicour may be that although i'm not sold on him, worst case he's a guy with size and skill who can play on their 2/3rd line.

27-wash-DREW SHORE- i'm not a big fan of his but a lot of people say he's a 1st rder and he's the best player left at 27 he could be a steal

28-det-JOONAS NATTINEN- big skilled, guy who fits the wings system, i could see lander, Palmieri, or Erixson

29-bos-JOHN MOORE- i think they need D and moore is a safe pick, he's big, physical and makes smart passes

30-ott (from sj)-MIKE LEE- sens need a goalie and its a bit of a weak draft for that still lee is a solid prospect who may start one day

I wouldn't be too sure about that.

If the Leafs finish with a top 10 pick, I'm pretty sure that Burke is gonna go off the wall and pick Zach Kassian as he is the prototypical Burke-type player. Even if we end up getting another 1st for Kaberle (15th to 30th), he knows that Kassian won't last past the top 15 so he'll want to secure him first and foremost above anyone else besides players not named Tavares, Hedman, Duchence, or Cowan if such an opportunity arises.

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Ian Esplen
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post

If the Leafs finish with a top 10 pick, I'm pretty sure that Burke is gonna go off the wall and pick Zach Kassian as he is the prototypical Burke-type player. Even if we end up getting another 1st for Kaberle (15th to 30th), he knows that Kassian won't last past the top 15 so he'll want to secure him first and foremost above anyone else besides players not named Tavares, Hedman, Duchence, or Cowan if such an opportunity arises.
i was tempted to have him go 7th but imo that a tad early(i see him being around 10-12). i could see burke trading down a few spots and taking him, msp would also be an option at 7. kassian or schenn are burkes type though

Ian Esplen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Obama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post

Um, no. In that circumstance, the leafs would be insane to not take MSP.

Obama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Stephen

Why do people assume Burke will take a power forward? Burke has drafted skilled guys like the Sedin twins with high picks. It's not like he drafts a power forward every year. If MSP is at the Leafs pick, I'd think they'd go with him.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Obama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Why do people assume Burke will take a power forward? Burke has drafted skilled guys like the Sedin twins with high picks. It's not like he drafts a power forward every year. If MSP is at the Leafs pick, I'd think they'd go with him.
haha, your bang on

Obama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:24 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Chris Pronger, Bryan Allen, Sedins, Nathan Smith, R.J. Umberger, Ryan Kesler, Bobby Ryan, Logan MacMillan, Jake Gardiner.

Other than the Sedins, Burke has exclusively been drafting north americans in the first round.

MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 04:53 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
The Oilers would take Zach Kassian ahead of Richard Panik. We need that gritty Getzlaf type of player here. If Edmonton is picking at around 10-15 look for them to be picking one of Kassian or Schenn.
As soon as I read the mock draft I had the exact same thought. There is no way if the draft was to happen today that the Oilers would pass on Kassian if he was still on the board. The biggest piece we are missing with our youth is a power forward. Of course, our brass has been known to pass on this type of player (Getzlaf), and take a forward of the same size but not anywhere near the skill or grit.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Teamcanada

I don't think Landon Ferraro will fall further than where the Oilers pick, they may even move up to pick him up. Also is a sutter available this year? Its still one of my wishes that the Oilers pick a sutter.

Teamcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:25 PM
kevinmac32

Send a message via MSN to kevinmac32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama View Post
Um, no. In that circumstance, the leafs would be insane to not take MSP.
I agree MSP was one of the stand outs for the swedes in the world juniors and although Schenn is also a great player they will probably pass on him given the oppurtunity to take MSP if he is still avaliable. I expect Burke to make moves either way and I wouldn't be surprised that if he wanted Schenn he would try to move up if he thought he couldn't get him at the Leafs pick

kevinmac32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 04:49 PM
bleuetbio

if Toronto add a pick with Kaberle, it coul be interesting to draft Schenn and Glennie together.

bleuetbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 04:51 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
As soon as I read the mock draft I had the exact same thought. There is no way if the draft was to happen today that the Oilers would pass on Kassian if he was still on the board. The biggest piece we are missing with our youth is a power forward. Of course, our brass has been known to pass on this type of player (Getzlaf), and take a forward of the same size but not anywhere near the skill or grit.
Hahaha I was actually going to say the same thing about the Pens, I'd hope that we wouldn't let Kassian get past us!

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 05:01 PM
bleuetbio

Leblanc in Montreal is an high possibility. He plays actually with our 2nd pick in 2008, Danny Kristo and Leblanc have a good year. Landon Ferraro will be out of yhe firt round. Personnaly, I wish Scott Glennie can be available on rank 20-24. But I dont think so. with de WJC, I think now Tavares will be the 1st pick. His move to London will help him a lot too. Panik will be possibly at the end of the top 10. Olivier Roy in 1st round? I doubt... Jeremy Morin is farf too high, maybe not in 1st round.

bleuetbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 05:32 PM
MxK1NGS

Quote:
Why are you underrating the Kings?
They can make a good run to the Playoffs...

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 10:28 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Louis Leblanc makes sense for the Canadiens.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Bruins78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamcanada View Post
I don't think Landon Ferraro will fall further than where the Oilers pick, they may even move up to pick him up. Also is a sutter available this year? Its still one of my wishes that the Oilers pick a sutter.
I know there's another Folingo in this draft...same limited scorng ability, tough gritty leadership, good defensively, etc etc as any Sutter would likely offer.

Bruins78 is offline   Reply With Quote