HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Bash Modry Therad

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-01-2004, 12:54 AM
  #1
two out of three*
 
two out of three*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,829
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
The Official Bash Modry Thread

Anybody else surprised it took us this long? Where do I start? Horrible game against Anaheim. All he did was stand there, and let guys like Jason Krog walk around him. How bout that bad angle shot he always takes from the hash mark. You know as a defenseman you dont shoot to score. You shoot for rebounds and deflections in front like Visnovsky does. And Vis' shots are all hard and low like your supposed to shoot them. Modry's always "rocket" if thats what you want to call his shot, over the net around the glass. He's horrible.


Last edited by two out of three*: 03-07-2004 at 12:38 AM.
two out of three* is offline  
Old
03-01-2004, 02:00 AM
  #2
2goodtimes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Ventura & Van Nuys
Posts: 69
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiesAreLikeWins 2 Us
Anybody else surprised it took us this long? Where do I start? Horrible game against Anaheim. All he did was stand there, and let guys like Jason Krog walk around him. How bout that bad angle shot he always takes from the hash mark. You know as a defenseman you dont shoot to score. You shoot for rebounds and deflections in front like Visnovsky does. And Vis' shots are all hard and low like your supposed to shoot them. Modry's always "rocket" if thats what you want to call his shot, over the net around the glass. He's horrible.
Modry is a serviceable offensive d-man. He is not known for Matty like qualities nor will he ever possess these qualities. Modry as we know him will never be the "qaulity d-man with a bite to his game", but ironically enough, he carries some of the highest trade value at the moment (his salary and scoring potential). I hate to say it, but it appears complacency breeds contentment and that is what i think Modry is quilty of. At this point, we are just beating a dead horse with the same rants about Modry. We'd better trade him to get something for him before Dallas signs him for $3M per.

2goodtimes is offline  
Old
03-01-2004, 02:17 AM
  #3
maximil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 281
vCash: 500
I really like Modry but he does drive me crazy sometimes!

maximil is offline  
Old
03-01-2004, 02:25 AM
  #4
Brodeur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 12,810
vCash: 500
He played 33 minutes today.........I was at the game, so I didn't hear the reason why Norstrom was out til afterwards......sigh of relief to hear it wasn't another injury.

Brodeur is offline  
Old
03-01-2004, 10:41 AM
  #5
Fat Elvis
Registered User
 
Fat Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Money Pit
Country: United States
Posts: 5,364
vCash: 500
The one thing that I don't like about him is that he never makes his defensive partner better, in that what I mean is his partner has to always be aware of any mistakes he makes to cover for him and when he's paired with 20-21 year olds, that's a tough assignment. Andy needs to always play him with a defensive dman and never Ziska ever. Visnovsky is just plain good enough to cover his arse each game, man I miss that guy.

Fat Elvis is offline  
Old
03-01-2004, 11:01 AM
  #6
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 113,864
vCash: 50
If we're going to bash Modry, we should platoon Brad Norton.

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline  
Old
03-01-2004, 11:25 AM
  #7
punchy1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Kiwiville.
Posts: 2,444
vCash: 500
This all comes down to two things. One, Modry is a two way defenceman who is never going to be *the* go to guy on his pairing. He is the guy who does just enough to help the rest of his line mates keep the puck out of the net in his end, and looks to score in thier end. He does that pretty well.

Two, Andy Murray. Andy played him yesterday with Zizka, a player who has only done well when paired with a true stay at home type of defenceman.

To me, Zizka is learning the game by playing small. He mirrors his defencive partner perfectly. Pair him with Gleason, a checking stay at home type who once in a rare while will rush the puck, Zizka does the same, pair him with Modry who isn't steady enough in his own end, and Zizka is the same.

Andy had one pairing that were working and he chose to split them up. He has a habbit of splitting up lines and combos that are working (ally/deader/ziggy) for one reason or another and has to have it shown to him that it is a bad idea by us getting trounced in order for him to change his mind.

Modry is NEVER going to be the kind of defenceman who can play 21+mins a game and give you a steady defencive effort.

Who do you pair him with yesterday? I would pair him with Grebeshkov. At least Grebs style is stay at home and steady and we would have had at least one player of the two who played defence first. Zizka isn't that kind of player. Yet.

Bashing Modry is silly to me because he does what he does very well and the only time he sucks is when he is made to play in a manner that he can't.

Matty were a last minute scratch so we can understand why Muir weren't called up in time but, to pair Zizka and leave him with Modry and then give Modry the lions share of ice time simply because he is your veteran is just wrong.

It isn't Modry's fault that his style of game is an offencive one. It isn't his fault he doesn't have the skills to play a steady stay at home game. He is a number 4-6 defenceman because of this, making him your go to guy is mad.


Last edited by punchy1: 03-01-2004 at 02:53 PM.
punchy1 is offline  
Old
03-01-2004, 02:33 PM
  #8
swinginutter*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
If we're going to bash Modry, we should platoon Brad Norton.
Why? Because he's made a few mistakes here and there. ***** i've dealt with Modry's blunders for four years now. Brad Norton brings something we lack in the back anyways.........BALLS! He'll take anybody on even with his damaged forearm. He's a good 6/7 defenseman, and he made some decent plays yesterday. As far as the Federov steal in the slot? I just give props to Federov for a brilliant play, even though I hate the dork. Most people think Norton lacks speed, but so do tons of NHL D, that are molded around his same character. They need to give him more ice time, and confidence will come along with it.

swinginutter* is offline  
Old
03-01-2004, 03:06 PM
  #9
Fat Elvis
Registered User
 
Fat Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Money Pit
Country: United States
Posts: 5,364
vCash: 500
I disagree that Modry is a good 2-way dman. He is not bad offensively but to say he is "good" defensively is offensive to read. To say he played poorly because he was asked to play a different style than he's used to just lets you know that he isn't sound defensively. He is one dimentional at best, to say he's a good 2-way dman is just wrong imo.

Fat Elvis is offline  
Old
03-01-2004, 07:11 PM
  #10
two out of three*
 
two out of three*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,829
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Sure, we can use him on the breakout for outlet passes, but after that could you get off the ice please? He doesn't play defense, and as of late he has very rarely put up points. I think the reason why he has LOOKED good during the season is because of Visnovsky. How many times did Lubo save his @$$ on 2 on 1's, or catching up from behind a guy that Modry failed to cover? Now, that Lubo is gone, he cant step it up.

two out of three* is offline  
Old
03-01-2004, 07:16 PM
  #11
nikolai19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Corona, CA
Country: Belarus
Posts: 2,317
vCash: 500
Modry is going to have to stay because if we make the playoffs and use a lot of the kids that are up now, Gleason, Ziska, and Grebeshkov, he and Norstrom are going to be the veteran leaders. That sounds somewhat scary but, this team needs Modry and Norstrom on the good old "veteran leadership" quality alone.

I don't see Miller or Visnovsky coming back anytime soon.

The only thing that may change is if they lose to Minnesota and Montreal this week and St. Louis gets hot. Right now, Modry will stay. That may change by the 8th.

nikolai19 is offline  
Old
03-02-2004, 01:36 AM
  #12
swinginutter*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolai19
Modry is going to have to stay because if we make the playoffs and use a lot of the kids that are up now, Gleason, Ziska, and Grebeshkov, he and Norstrom are going to be the veteran leaders. That sounds somewhat scary but, this team needs Modry and Norstrom on the good old "veteran leadership" quality alone.

I don't see Miller or Visnovsky coming back anytime soon.

The only thing that may change is if they lose to Minnesota and Montreal this week and St. Louis gets hot. Right now, Modry will stay. That may change by the 8th.
Yeah, so his lazy ass can watch Brendan Shannahan skate by take the puck and skin him. Or Chris Drury skate right by him like he's a pylon (when it counts), and roof it high into the net. He's absolutely disgraceful come playoff time! He's overrated, and not just by our coaching staff, but the supposed experts. They read the same garbage we do, and he's made to be a hero. I watch that dork 82 games a year, and he is coddled like no player i've ever seen. His mistakes never get mentioned, nor will they. Everybody here likes to use the excuse, that he's not used in the right way, but do you think he wants it any different. He wants to have that claim as a two way defenseman and he definitely wants to log those kind of minutes. My point is this, let's not argue how he should be used. The coaching staff has made up their minds for the last three years on that. And, with that comes responsibility. If he needs to use his size and body for the team, *****ing use it. I don't see Ziggy complaining when he goes down to block shots, and he's a world-class superstar! Modry skates out there likes he's Lemieux, and try's to slow the game down to his pace. He plays with no urgency and more importantly no balls. He has helped Lubo a bit on and off the ice so I can appreciate that, but he's not the mentor some of you think he is, because you should lead by example, not constant blunders! If the words "PHYSICAL" and "URGENCY" ever get into his vocabulary, than i'll re-train myself to like him.....But it won't, so I say TRADEBAIT!

swinginutter* is offline  
Old
03-02-2004, 06:25 PM
  #13
Juni0r24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arcadia
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juni0r24
Modry bugs me. Even to the point to where i look at his stick and get mad, he does his little candy cane thingy that doesnt make him better. Someone told me that they liked Modry becuase hes a consistant d-man... i agree consistanty BAD. He makes rookie like mistakes and hes played over 400 games of a span from '96 till now. And ...ive also noticed that his dump ins are harder than his "floating" shot.

Juni0r24 is offline  
Old
03-03-2004, 03:55 PM
  #14
Grady41
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 172
vCash: 500
I'd agree that as long as we are in the playoffs we need Mo_ry (thanks nashville fans An_y _elmore) unless we get a better D-man to replace him Dempsey is good but I don't think he is enough to get rid of Mo_ry yet. we don't have enough experience to do so.

Mo IMO is really carried by Lubo. look at his +/- the two season Mo has been + are season that Lubo has played really well. Mo has just enough offense to have a spot on this team but his D is lacking to the point where its a bad idea to play him 24 min let alone the 33 min he got the last game because we're down another D-man.

I don't totally hate all-star Mo but he sure can be a pylon at times. The Kings D would look even worse without Mo in the line up at this point.

Grady41 is offline  
Old
03-03-2004, 11:38 PM
  #15
Fishhead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginutter
Why? Because he's made a few mistakes here and there. ***** i've dealt with Modry's blunders for four years now. Brad Norton brings something we lack in the back anyways.........BALLS! He'll take anybody on even with his damaged forearm. He's a good 6/7 defenseman, and he made some decent plays yesterday. As far as the Federov steal in the slot? I just give props to Federov for a brilliant play, even though I hate the dork. Most people think Norton lacks speed, but so do tons of NHL D, that are molded around his same character. They need to give him more ice time, and confidence will come along with it.
Are you serious? "steal in the slot"? He passed it right to him. Fedorov's brilliant play? I was sitting down near where it happened and I was surprised that Sergei didnt let it go to the other duck that was standing wide open in front of the net. If SF didnt bury it, the other guy would have. One of the worst plays i've seen this year.

Norton is not a good 6/7 defenseman. He's really bad back there, he's slow, and makes poor decisions all the time. Nothing against Brad, cause I like his attitude, but he's simply not NHL level, IMO. When you are down to 3 rookie defensemen in an important game, the smart play is not to take so many damn penalties you play less than 4 minutes and load the ice time on the others.

Modry sure isn't a great in the NHL, but he's solid. Modry bashing has been en vogue ever since CJ left.

Fishhead is offline  
Old
03-04-2004, 12:31 AM
  #16
Juni0r24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arcadia
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juni0r24
Your totally right 'bout CJ getting ragged on b4 Mo. But modry does make alot of bad plays and isnt a very smart Dman. Like said b4 he lifts his shots way the hell over the net. Now that CJ is gone mo wil recieve most of the flack, honestly though i dont think he deserves all the ice time he gets, hes out the all the time.


Last edited by Juni0r24: 03-04-2004 at 12:35 AM.
Juni0r24 is offline  
Old
03-04-2004, 12:40 AM
  #17
two out of three*
 
two out of three*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,829
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
There is one bright side to Modry's game, and that is his ability to move the puck. He makes very good outlet passes out of his own end. He makes quick decisions most of the time, but I question his decisions alot. But honestly I cant point anything else out that he's actually good at. He's got an average shot that doesn't hit the net, he plays below average on the defensive end, and now that Lubo is gone, his lack luster defensive play is really standing out.

btw- What happened to the avatars? And why is HF going so slow, or is it just my computer?

two out of three* is offline  
Old
03-04-2004, 03:29 AM
  #18
Fishhead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiesAreLikeWins 2 Us
There is one bright side to Modry's game, and that is his ability to move the puck. He makes very good outlet passes out of his own end. He makes quick decisions most of the time, but I question his decisions alot. But honestly I cant point anything else out that he's actually good at. He's got an average shot that doesn't hit the net, he plays below average on the defensive end, and now that Lubo is gone, his lack luster defensive play is really standing out.

btw- What happened to the avatars? And why is HF going so slow, or is it just my computer?
Everythings turned off because of the damn trade traffic.

Well, it does seem like Modry doesnt hit the net, but he's second on the team in shots behind Luc. His shot is known as pretty heavy around the league, beleive it or not. He also has a pretty decent +/-. However, he has been poor lately out there for sure.

What I dont get about Modry bashing is some of the blindness associated with it. I go to all the home games every year, and there's a guy who sits near me who constantly rides the guy. Most of Modry's mistakes are noticable because he has the puck alot and sees a lot of ice time. Every time he makes an error the guy just starts yelling "Modry, you suck" (and I yell along with him occasionally). I really dont have a problem with this. What's laughable, is Modry will make 3 or 4 good plays in a row and an occasional great one, and the guy doesnt even notice. One time he laid a check on someone, stole the puck and cleared the zone and the guy was like "way to go, Mattie". Whats funny, is this same guy loves Corvo, who makes twice the mistakes as Modry and ones that are far more costly. JM is struggling lately, but most of the time he plays just fine. Unfortunately many people only see the bad, and then bash, and then others start watching a guy closely, just looking for anything like a mistake, then join in. Then it spirals and pretty soon you have yourself a whipping boy.

Similarly, The amount of people who bag on Stumpel are staggering, and I think he's been one of our best players since he came back from injury.

Fishhead is offline  
Old
03-04-2004, 12:17 PM
  #19
swinginutter*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead
Are you serious? "steal in the slot"? He passed it right to him. Fedorov's brilliant play? I was sitting down near where it happened and I was surprised that Sergei didnt let it go to the other duck that was standing wide open in front of the net. If SF didnt bury it, the other guy would have. One of the worst plays i've seen this year.

Norton is not a good 6/7 defenseman. He's really bad back there, he's slow, and makes poor decisions all the time. Nothing against Brad, cause I like his attitude, but he's simply not NHL level, IMO. When you are down to 3 rookie defensemen in an important game, the smart play is not to take so many damn penalties you play less than 4 minutes and load the ice time on the others.

Modry sure isn't a great in the NHL, but he's solid. Modry bashing has been en vogue ever since CJ left.
I was there too, and I wouldn't say it was the worst play of the year. If you watch the game over again, Norton was at the left slot and had a player there for the outlet. Federov snuck in from behind the goal, and just got there quick, simple as that. Yeah, maybe Norton should have had eyes behind his head, but that wasn't the case. As far as his smarts........well, I think watching the Kings from the stands the whole year nursing his injuries, he's gone in with the right attitude. Destroy anyone that messes with your players. Burnett labeled Grebs from behind and Norton didn't hesitate to throw bombs. Something this team has lacked for the last two years. Plus his ice time doesn't translate into what you're talking about anyways. Even if they had 6 d or 5 d, he'd still log no minutes. Big guys like Norton are not going to be your Norris trophy winners. If you want to see slow, try watching Kuznetsov. He's there simply to protect his goaltender and players, and do it with some attitude. He also is quick enough to make smart outlet passes.
As far as the Modry bashing, I wasn't waiting for CJ to leave. Because they've been my whipping boys from day one. Modry is fast right? He wins all the fitness tests and what not. So why doesn't it translate? His decisions are beyond slow, and he dishes off problems constantly. If you think some of the posters here are blind when they talk about Modry, so be it. But we're all hardcore fans and know what we're talking about. I see the same games you do, and maybe the reason his bad play is magnified is simply the fact that it never stops. You would think that a player like Modry logging all those minutes would learn from his mistakes. Doesn't happen, nor will it! He is definitely consistent in my eyes!

swinginutter* is offline  
Old
03-04-2004, 11:12 PM
  #20
two out of three*
 
two out of three*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,829
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
[QUOTE=Fishhead Whats funny, is this same guy loves Corvo, who makes twice the mistakes as Modry and ones that are far more costly. QUOTE]

What section does he sit in, I was at a game the other day and some guy yelled, "GET THE PUCK TO CORVO!"

two out of three* is offline  
Old
03-05-2004, 02:13 AM
  #21
Fishhead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,215
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=TiesAreLikeWins 2 Us]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead Whats funny, is this same guy loves Corvo, who makes twice the mistakes as Modry and ones that are far more costly. QUOTE

What section does he sit in, I was at a game the other day and some guy yelled, "GET THE PUCK TO CORVO!"
He sits in various locations in the end where the Kings attack twice. I sit in 327 and he's behind me alot. Sometimes I hear him from 328 as well. Theres some real characters in that area.

Fishhead is offline  
Old
03-07-2004, 12:40 AM
  #22
two out of three*
 
two out of three*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,829
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Modry tonight against Montreal was a -3.

two out of three* is offline  
Old
03-07-2004, 02:44 AM
  #23
Juni0r24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arcadia
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juni0r24
Tonight on kings talk the 1st 2 callers whom one of them i know, were not happy with the way that Modry played. Quite frankly i wasnt either. He is way to soft of d-man. Being 6'2 216lbs. means that you're a physcial presance. Well not in modry's case. And Nick Nickson of Kings Talk just keeps defending Modry. So whatever Modry is doing to Murray to get ice time, he must be doing it to Nick aswell. Mo needs to pull his skirt up b4 he comes to the next game and show some heart.

Juni0r24 is offline  
Old
03-07-2004, 03:56 AM
  #24
Malakian#13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: capo beach california
Posts: 3,014
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Malakian#13
modry was responsible in some way for all 3 goals. If he wasn't playing with grebs he could have been a -5

Malakian#13 is offline  
Old
03-07-2004, 11:55 AM
  #25
Fat Elvis
Registered User
 
Fat Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Money Pit
Country: United States
Posts: 5,364
vCash: 500
I think now we realize how good Lubo is, to play with this guy and actually have that d-pair not look crappy was amazing. Hope Lubo makes it back this year. On a positive note, I really like the way Gleason has played lately and with Grebs getting more games under his belt the less likely Modry will be back next year

Fat Elvis is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.