HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Questions about pro hockey

Old
01-07-2009, 03:23 PM
zakhawk91

vCash: 500
Questions about pro hockey

I have noticed that there is a new "A" league and a few existing ones.(ex.AAHA, EIHL, SPHL and so on). I just wanted to ask about the skill level and how good the teams are. I would love to have the opportunity to play some form of pro hockey sometime in my life, even if it is low level and I am forced to have another job on the side. I just have always thought that it would be cool to be paid for something you love.
I am 17, skill level wise I'm about at AA. I play on two teams and am on the ice an average of 6-8 times a week. I also do a high intensity off ice workout or weight training 1-2 times a week, and spend a lot of time working on my own in the garage or playing pick up with friends.
Looking at HockeyDB I have noticed many players in the AAHA have never played any form of junior hockey or college for that matter. A lot of them also only played at the ACHA level. There are even some players who are 25 or over and have not had any previous pro, college, or junior experience, and the AAHA team is the only team on their DB profile.
Thank you for any responses or information

zakhawk91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Heat McManus

Some of those guys may have come from Jr A, or Jr B. Also, they may have played ACHA at schools that don't keep the best of statistics. Same goes for Div-III programs. Remember that HockeyDB, while extremely comprehensive, is in no way perfect.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 10:59 PM
Ralph Slate

I agree that hockeydb.com is not perfect, but believe me, the AAHA has players coming out of nowhere. Although I don't regularly track NCAA D3, I have the statistics archived since 1999 and I check all these players against those lists. It is safe to assume that if a player has no prior history shown, he did not play NCAA hockey in the past 10 years. There might be some exceptions due to name variations, but not many.

A number of the players do have ACHA experience, and there are a few ACHA teams that don't keep track of their stats (for example, U of Southern Indiana, which seems to be the prior experience of many of the Evansville players).

When a new player pops up, I do a Google search on him. Problem is, with the AAHA (and the EPHL), many players come up with absolutely no hits. They seriously are coming out of nowhere. You'd think that a guy with a name like "Emory Lovse" (Evansville) would be an easy find on Google. But there's nothing on him other than his AAHA experience. So where did he come from? The AAHA doesn't even publish his birthplace.

Those leagues really are fielding a far different caliber of player than the more-established pro leagues.

Ralph Slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 11:49 AM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakhawk91 View Post
I have noticed that there is a new "A" league and a few existing ones.(ex.AAHA, EIHL, SPHL and so on). I just wanted to ask about the skill level and how good the teams are. I would love to have the opportunity to play some form of pro hockey sometime in my life, even if it is low level and I am forced to have another job on the side. I just have always thought that it would be cool to be paid for something you love.
I am 17, skill level wise I'm about at AA. I play on two teams and am on the ice an average of 6-8 times a week. I also do a high intensity off ice workout or weight training 1-2 times a week, and spend a lot of time working on my own in the garage or playing pick up with friends.
Looking at HockeyDB I have noticed many players in the AAHA have never played any form of junior hockey or college for that matter. A lot of them also only played at the ACHA level. There are even some players who are 25 or over and have not had any previous pro, college, or junior experience, and the AAHA team is the only team on their DB profile.
Thank you for any responses or information
Go to Jrs. and then to college and and play at least NCAA D3 or ACHA D1. Some of the top ACHA D2 programs could get you to the AAHA or EPHL but anything higher you'll most likely need a higher level of college hockey.

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote