HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Watcha Listnin To?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-29-2009, 12:21 PM
  #276
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,342
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
LOL! I have some funny stories about being a musician and girls. But! I'm keeping this a PG site around here!

Drizzle had a crazy Canadian stalker it's a funny story lol.

I can't wait to tour soon

hey no but really, I'm not a **** or anything..just wanna clarify that.

Oh yes, if anyone around the SJ area and likes the Foo Fighters channel 209(I think the channel is called, "Palladia") is playing their concert from London at 2.


Last edited by dbr2: 01-29-2009 at 12:28 PM.
dbr2 is offline  
Old
01-29-2009, 12:59 PM
  #277
Kambo
 
Kambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pennsauken, NJ
Country: Ireland
Posts: 5,357
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Yeahhh, she's getting married to Ben Gibbard



AHh okay I got ya! Man, I haven't been CH mall in months. I forgot there is a Pacsun in there ha. I'm not real crazy about DestoJones not gonna lie.
They're alright. I have their album, "Aurora." Pretty good, but I haven't gotten around to seeing them live or anything. It's just crazy when I'll put on 104.5 and hear them, and I'm just sitting there feeling like a loser cause I used to work with him, and all I'm doing is working at Campbell Soup, and he's playing on the ****ing radio. It's also cool though at the same time, cause if he gets really famous, then I'll know someone really famous hahah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
How's your singing voice kambo?
I can rock out, with my girl **** out. I sing a mean "Come Sail Away," "Freebird," and "Bohemian Rhapsody."

Kambo is offline  
Old
01-29-2009, 01:32 PM
  #278
TheDrizzle81
Registered User
 
TheDrizzle81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Marlton NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,358
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
i need to join a band now. i have the musical itch again........

TheDrizzle81 is offline  
Old
01-30-2009, 12:56 AM
  #279
TheTaekster
Registered User
 
TheTaekster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 94.1 and 97.5
Country: United States
Posts: 1,060
vCash: 500
anyone into any good jazz? i've been listening to the philadelphia experiment album all week, ?uestlove of the roots on drums...insanely tight.

TheTaekster is offline  
Old
01-30-2009, 06:05 AM
  #280
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,149
vCash: 500
I've been listening to a lot of Mothership - The Best of Led Zeppelin as of late. I've never really been a big fan of anything they did after Houses Of The Holy, but Coda, In Through The Out Door, Physical Graffiti, and Presence were all killer albums.

I've also been listening to a lot of Van Halen's 1984 album. While the most popular songs are Jump, Panama and Hot For Teacher, the funny thing is that they might actually be the weakest songs off the entire album. Top Jimmy is a groove shaker, Drop Dead Legs has that killer rock/blues/crunch feel to it, I'll Wait is quietly under rated, Girl Gone Bad has some classic EVH guitar work and House Of Pain is just a killer, killer, killer ending track. I'd love to see them record one more album with Roth because I think it would be huge. We'd get Eddie back to being Eddie and with Roth being a bit older, he might never hit the high notes that he once could, but I think his voice might actually be a bit better as a result. He's got that husky, gravelly voice that always seemed to be better suited to the style of music that Van Halen wrote.

I'm still listening to Chinese Democracy and am absolutely convinced that Madagascar and This I Love are the continuations of the songs Coma and Estranged. Sorry has a very Pink Floyd feel to it. Scraped is a very different sounding track (the acapella at the beginning is something very un-GnR). Not a huge fan of Street of Dreams, IRS or Catcher in the Rye, however, I do like Better, There Was A Time and love Shackler's Revenge (just because it's so not a GnR track with all the electronica in it - it's also a true road cruising song that you'd play blaring while travelling down the interstate or any major Canadian highway).

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline  
Old
01-30-2009, 10:24 AM
  #281
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonMTG View Post
anyone into any good jazz? i've been listening to the philadelphia experiment album all week, ?uestlove of the roots on drums...insanely tight.
Thats a great album actually...My brother, who is a drummer, copied it for me.

mikedifr is offline  
Old
01-30-2009, 10:30 AM
  #282
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I've been listening to a lot of Mothership - The Best of Led Zeppelin as of late. I've never really been a big fan of anything they did after Houses Of The Holy, but Coda, In Through The Out Door, Physical Graffiti, and Presence were all killer albums.

I've also been listening to a lot of Van Halen's 1984 album. While the most popular songs are Jump, Panama and Hot For Teacher, the funny thing is that they might actually be the weakest songs off the entire album. Top Jimmy is a groove shaker, Drop Dead Legs has that killer rock/blues/crunch feel to it, I'll Wait is quietly under rated, Girl Gone Bad has some classic EVH guitar work and House Of Pain is just a killer, killer, killer ending track. I'd love to see them record one more album with Roth because I think it would be huge. We'd get Eddie back to being Eddie and with Roth being a bit older, he might never hit the high notes that he once could, but I think his voice might actually be a bit better as a result. He's got that husky, gravelly voice that always seemed to be better suited to the style of music that Van Halen wrote.

I'm still listening to Chinese Democracy and am absolutely convinced that Madagascar and This I Love are the continuations of the songs Coma and Estranged. Sorry has a very Pink Floyd feel to it. Scraped is a very different sounding track (the acapella at the beginning is something very un-GnR). Not a huge fan of Street of Dreams, IRS or Catcher in the Rye, however, I do like Better, There Was A Time and love Shackler's Revenge (just because it's so not a GnR track with all the electronica in it - it's also a true road cruising song that you'd play blaring while travelling down the interstate or any major Canadian highway).
While I acknowledge their greatness, I am not the biggest fan of Zep.....I just got so tired of them from listening to the radio all those years, they get so played out.

As for VH I agree....I wouldnt necessarily call those songs the "weakest" per say, but the non-hit album tracks on there are great as well, especially House of Pain....I love that song...

My favority DLR era VH is still Fair Warning by far....

I have mixed feelings about Chinese Democracy....First off it shouldnt be called Guns and Roses, lets get that out of the way immediately.......But if I judge it on its own merits I would say I like about half of it and could take or leave the rest. I do really enjoy Street of Dreams but I agree with you on the other songs.....My biggest complaint with the album is really the track progression.....The album starts off with come rock tracks but then from songs 4-8 or 9, cant remember exactly, it really slows down....All those songs in a row with the same tempo kill it for me. Split them up with a more uptempo rock song thrown in the middle and I would be able to sit through the entire album more easily.

After the Metallica concert in Philly last week I am in a total Metallica/Megdeth mood.....

mikedifr is offline  
Old
01-30-2009, 10:50 AM
  #283
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 114,228
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonMTG View Post
anyone into any good jazz? i've been listening to the philadelphia experiment album all week, ?uestlove of the roots on drums...insanely tight.
http://www.myspace.com/melody

I haven't heard what you did, but this girl is a good jazz/blues artist which a great story too.

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline  
Old
01-30-2009, 07:06 PM
  #284
spent
Registered User
 
spent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I don't mind Ben Gibbard. It's not like he's a complete toolbag. And as long as she doesn't change her name, she needs to stay Zooey Deschanel, and not anything different.
The great thing about celebrity marriages is that they seldom work out. There is hope for us yet, gentlemen. Lets not let this "marriage" set back ruin for us the dream.

spent is offline  
Old
01-30-2009, 07:09 PM
  #285
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,768
vCash: 500
Anybody into Reggae??? Ive been listening to alot of Gregory Isaacs and Bob Marley lately.

Alchemy is offline  
Old
01-30-2009, 07:10 PM
  #286
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 114,228
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by spent View Post
The great thing about celebrity marriages is that they seldom work out. There is hope for us yet, gentlemen. Lets not let this "marriage" set back ruin for us the dream.
These independent-scene celebrities are a different breed though.

GKJ is offline  
Old
01-30-2009, 07:34 PM
  #287
TheDrizzle81
Registered User
 
TheDrizzle81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Marlton NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,358
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
While I acknowledge their greatness, I am not the biggest fan of Zep.....I just got so tired of them from listening to the radio all those years, they get so played out.

As for VH I agree....I wouldnt necessarily call those songs the "weakest" per say, but the non-hit album tracks on there are great as well, especially House of Pain....I love that song...

My favority DLR era VH is still Fair Warning by far....

I have mixed feelings about Chinese Democracy....First off it shouldnt be called Guns and Roses, lets get that out of the way immediately.......But if I judge it on its own merits I would say I like about half of it and could take or leave the rest. I do really enjoy Street of Dreams but I agree with you on the other songs.....My biggest complaint with the album is really the track progression.....The album starts off with come rock tracks but then from songs 4-8 or 9, cant remember exactly, it really slows down....All those songs in a row with the same tempo kill it for me. Split them up with a more uptempo rock song thrown in the middle and I would be able to sit through the entire album more easily.

After the Metallica concert in Philly last week I am in a total Metallica/Megdeth mood.....
Im feelingthe Metal mood, been blasting a lot of Iron Maiden (UP THE IRONS), Metallica, Sabbath and Megadeth.

I spent today learning Remember Tomorrow by Maiden on guitar, as well as I, by Sabbath, and Kill the King by Megadeth. I have em most down except the Megadeth one because Dave Mustaine guitar is ****ing intense.

TheDrizzle81 is offline  
Old
01-31-2009, 04:35 PM
  #288
Joey Mac
Registered User
 
Joey Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,022
vCash: 500
bayside, the sleeping, i am the avalanche, pennywise, the movielife

Joey Mac is offline  
Old
01-31-2009, 04:48 PM
  #289
TheDrizzle81
Registered User
 
TheDrizzle81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Marlton NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,358
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Mac View Post
bayside, the sleeping, i am the avalanche, pennywise, the movielife
Bayside Is Cult

TheDrizzle81 is offline  
Old
01-31-2009, 05:55 PM
  #290
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Mac View Post
bayside, the sleeping, i am the avalanche, pennywise, the movielife
Never heard of the sleeping, but I love the rest of those guys, particularly IATA.

CantSeeColors is offline  
Old
02-01-2009, 09:20 AM
  #291
Joey Mac
Registered User
 
Joey Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
Bayside Is Cult
This is true

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Never heard of the sleeping, but I love the rest of those guys, particularly IATA.
Check out The Sleeping if you get a chance

Joey Mac is offline  
Old
02-01-2009, 11:28 AM
  #292
TheDrizzle81
Registered User
 
TheDrizzle81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Marlton NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,358
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Mac View Post
This is true



Check out The Sleeping if you get a chance
The Sleeping rule

TheDrizzle81 is offline  
Old
02-01-2009, 11:33 AM
  #293
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim
 
Pwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kentucky
Country: United States
Posts: 1,879
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Pwood Send a message via Yahoo to Pwood
Just dusted off the NHL 2004 Soundtrack. Gob - Oh! Ellin!!!

Pwood is offline  
Old
02-01-2009, 11:40 AM
  #294
XS Chop
Registered User
 
XS Chop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Maple Shade, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonMTG View Post
anyone into any good jazz? i've been listening to the philadelphia experiment album all week, ?uestlove of the roots on drums...insanely tight.
Listened to a lot over the years, mostly stuck in the 50's-70's though. Miles, Coltrane, McLaughlan, Chick etc... Jazz lost me when they just started soloing a bit over R&B grooves, would love to hear if there's anything good out there now.

XS Chop is offline  
Old
02-01-2009, 11:48 AM
  #295
XS Chop
Registered User
 
XS Chop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Maple Shade, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
Anybody into Reggae??? Ive been listening to alot of Gregory Isaacs and Bob Marley lately.
Did some studio work with Earl "Chinna" Smith a few years ago and what was essentially Ziggy Marleys backing band. Chinna was in Bob Marleys band in the later years and has played with just about everyone in reggae. Hell of a player and a walking encyclopedia of musical knowledge. You can check him out with Bob, Ziggy, Peter Tosh, Burning Spear, Jimmy Cliff, all good stuff.

XS Chop is offline  
Old
02-01-2009, 03:29 PM
  #296
spent
Registered User
 
spent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
Out of curiousity, is anyone into early blues or early jazz?
I heard some stuff this weekend, and its bloody good stuff. I just dont know where to start... Any suggestions?

S

spent is offline  
Old
02-01-2009, 03:43 PM
  #297
XS Chop
Registered User
 
XS Chop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Maple Shade, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spent View Post
Out of curiousity, is anyone into early blues or early jazz?
I heard some stuff this weekend, and its bloody good stuff. I just dont know where to start... Any suggestions?

S
Depends on what you mean by early really. Good places to start:

Jazz:
Dizzy Gillespie
Charlie Parker
Thelonius Monk
Miles Davis (everyone on Earth should own Kind Of Blue, more or less the St. Peppers of jazz)
John Coltrane
These is ealier stuff if you want swing and some others. Easy too because most of these players played together a lot. Once you get an idea of who played on the albums you like it just expands from there. Pretty much everyone jumped from band to band and later headed their own at some point.

Blues:
Robert Johnson
Leadbelly
Lightning Hopkins
Son House
The recordings are generally pretty bad on these but thats a great place to start.

If you type any of those names into www.pandora.com it should give you a feel for what you like.


Last edited by XS Chop: 02-01-2009 at 04:29 PM.
XS Chop is offline  
Old
02-01-2009, 10:14 PM
  #298
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,342
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
anyone here fan of "the Dear Hunter" it is not just a movie but also a band. Note; the movie was titled "the Deer Hunter"

dbr2 is offline  
Old
02-02-2009, 08:38 AM
  #299
TheDrizzle81
Registered User
 
TheDrizzle81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Marlton NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,358
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
anyone here fan of "the Dear Hunter" it is not just a movie but also a band. Note; the movie was titled "the Deer Hunter"
I liked the video game of the same name, circa Windows 98

Goin back to my last 2 years in High School here, played this song in a talent show (which we ****ing lost to a girl singing the national anthem.........). We had a keyboardist and everything. Our vocals didnt quite match the original, but w/e. We owned this song, and shoulda won.


TheDrizzle81 is offline  
Old
02-02-2009, 09:08 AM
  #300
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
Im feelingthe Metal mood, been blasting a lot of Iron Maiden (UP THE IRONS), Metallica, Sabbath and Megadeth.

I spent today learning Remember Tomorrow by Maiden on guitar, as well as I, by Sabbath, and Kill the King by Megadeth. I have em most down except the Megadeth one because Dave Mustaine guitar is ****ing intense.
UP THE IRONS

My absolute favorite band!!

Remember Tomorrow is a killer song!

mikedifr is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.