HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Watcha Listnin To?

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2009, 12:21 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
LOL! I have some funny stories about being a musician and girls. But! I'm keeping this a PG site around here!

Drizzle had a crazy Canadian stalker it's a funny story lol.

I can't wait to tour soon

hey no but really, I'm not a **** or anything..just wanna clarify that.

Oh yes, if anyone around the SJ area and likes the Foo Fighters channel 209(I think the channel is called, "Palladia") is playing their concert from London at 2.

Last edited by dbr2: 01-29-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old
01-29-2009, 12:59 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Yeahhh, she's getting married to Ben Gibbard

AHh okay I got ya! Man, I haven't been CH mall in months. I forgot there is a Pacsun in there ha. I'm not real crazy about DestoJones not gonna lie.
They're alright. I have their album, "Aurora." Pretty good, but I haven't gotten around to seeing them live or anything. It's just crazy when I'll put on 104.5 and hear them, and I'm just sitting there feeling like a loser cause I used to work with him, and all I'm doing is working at Campbell Soup, and he's playing on the ****ing radio. It's also cool though at the same time, cause if he gets really famous, then I'll know someone really famous hahah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
How's your singing voice kambo?
I can rock out, with my girl **** out. I sing a mean "Come Sail Away," "Freebird," and "Bohemian Rhapsody."

Old
01-29-2009, 01:32 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
i need to join a band now. i have the musical itch again........

Old
01-30-2009, 12:56 AM
TheTaekster

anyone into any good jazz? i've been listening to the philadelphia experiment album all week, ?uestlove of the roots on drums...insanely tight.

Old
01-30-2009, 06:05 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I've been listening to a lot of Mothership - The Best of Led Zeppelin as of late. I've never really been a big fan of anything they did after Houses Of The Holy, but Coda, In Through The Out Door, Physical Graffiti, and Presence were all killer albums.

I've also been listening to a lot of Van Halen's 1984 album. While the most popular songs are Jump, Panama and Hot For Teacher, the funny thing is that they might actually be the weakest songs off the entire album. Top Jimmy is a groove shaker, Drop Dead Legs has that killer rock/blues/crunch feel to it, I'll Wait is quietly under rated, Girl Gone Bad has some classic EVH guitar work and House Of Pain is just a killer, killer, killer ending track. I'd love to see them record one more album with Roth because I think it would be huge. We'd get Eddie back to being Eddie and with Roth being a bit older, he might never hit the high notes that he once could, but I think his voice might actually be a bit better as a result. He's got that husky, gravelly voice that always seemed to be better suited to the style of music that Van Halen wrote.

I'm still listening to Chinese Democracy and am absolutely convinced that Madagascar and This I Love are the continuations of the songs Coma and Estranged. Sorry has a very Pink Floyd feel to it. Scraped is a very different sounding track (the acapella at the beginning is something very un-GnR). Not a huge fan of Street of Dreams, IRS or Catcher in the Rye, however, I do like Better, There Was A Time and love Shackler's Revenge (just because it's so not a GnR track with all the electronica in it - it's also a true road cruising song that you'd play blaring while travelling down the interstate or any major Canadian highway).

Old
01-30-2009, 10:24 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonMTG View Post
anyone into any good jazz? i've been listening to the philadelphia experiment album all week, ?uestlove of the roots on drums...insanely tight.
Thats a great album actually...My brother, who is a drummer, copied it for me.

Old
01-30-2009, 10:30 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I've been listening to a lot of Mothership - The Best of Led Zeppelin as of late. I've never really been a big fan of anything they did after Houses Of The Holy, but Coda, In Through The Out Door, Physical Graffiti, and Presence were all killer albums.

I've also been listening to a lot of Van Halen's 1984 album. While the most popular songs are Jump, Panama and Hot For Teacher, the funny thing is that they might actually be the weakest songs off the entire album. Top Jimmy is a groove shaker, Drop Dead Legs has that killer rock/blues/crunch feel to it, I'll Wait is quietly under rated, Girl Gone Bad has some classic EVH guitar work and House Of Pain is just a killer, killer, killer ending track. I'd love to see them record one more album with Roth because I think it would be huge. We'd get Eddie back to being Eddie and with Roth being a bit older, he might never hit the high notes that he once could, but I think his voice might actually be a bit better as a result. He's got that husky, gravelly voice that always seemed to be better suited to the style of music that Van Halen wrote.

I'm still listening to Chinese Democracy and am absolutely convinced that Madagascar and This I Love are the continuations of the songs Coma and Estranged. Sorry has a very Pink Floyd feel to it. Scraped is a very different sounding track (the acapella at the beginning is something very un-GnR). Not a huge fan of Street of Dreams, IRS or Catcher in the Rye, however, I do like Better, There Was A Time and love Shackler's Revenge (just because it's so not a GnR track with all the electronica in it - it's also a true road cruising song that you'd play blaring while travelling down the interstate or any major Canadian highway).
While I acknowledge their greatness, I am not the biggest fan of Zep.....I just got so tired of them from listening to the radio all those years, they get so played out.

As for VH I agree....I wouldnt necessarily call those songs the "weakest" per say, but the non-hit album tracks on there are great as well, especially House of Pain....I love that song...

My favority DLR era VH is still Fair Warning by far....

I have mixed feelings about Chinese Democracy....First off it shouldnt be called Guns and Roses, lets get that out of the way immediately.......But if I judge it on its own merits I would say I like about half of it and could take or leave the rest. I do really enjoy Street of Dreams but I agree with you on the other songs.....My biggest complaint with the album is really the track progression.....The album starts off with come rock tracks but then from songs 4-8 or 9, cant remember exactly, it really slows down....All those songs in a row with the same tempo kill it for me. Split them up with a more uptempo rock song thrown in the middle and I would be able to sit through the entire album more easily.

After the Metallica concert in Philly last week I am in a total Metallica/Megdeth mood.....

Old
01-30-2009, 10:50 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
http://www.myspace.com/melody

I haven't heard what you did, but this girl is a good jazz/blues artist which a great story too.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
01-30-2009, 07:06 PM
spent

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I don't mind Ben Gibbard. It's not like he's a complete toolbag. And as long as she doesn't change her name, she needs to stay Zooey Deschanel, and not anything different.
The great thing about celebrity marriages is that they seldom work out. There is hope for us yet, gentlemen. Lets not let this "marriage" set back ruin for us the dream.

Old
01-30-2009, 07:09 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Anybody into Reggae??? Ive been listening to alot of Gregory Isaacs and Bob Marley lately.

Old
01-30-2009, 07:10 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by spent View Post
The great thing about celebrity marriages is that they seldom work out. There is hope for us yet, gentlemen. Lets not let this "marriage" set back ruin for us the dream.
These independent-scene celebrities are a different breed though.

Old
01-30-2009, 07:34 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
While I acknowledge their greatness, I am not the biggest fan of Zep.....I just got so tired of them from listening to the radio all those years, they get so played out.

As for VH I agree....I wouldnt necessarily call those songs the "weakest" per say, but the non-hit album tracks on there are great as well, especially House of Pain....I love that song...

My favority DLR era VH is still Fair Warning by far....

I have mixed feelings about Chinese Democracy....First off it shouldnt be called Guns and Roses, lets get that out of the way immediately.......But if I judge it on its own merits I would say I like about half of it and could take or leave the rest. I do really enjoy Street of Dreams but I agree with you on the other songs.....My biggest complaint with the album is really the track progression.....The album starts off with come rock tracks but then from songs 4-8 or 9, cant remember exactly, it really slows down....All those songs in a row with the same tempo kill it for me. Split them up with a more uptempo rock song thrown in the middle and I would be able to sit through the entire album more easily.

After the Metallica concert in Philly last week I am in a total Metallica/Megdeth mood.....
Im feelingthe Metal mood, been blasting a lot of Iron Maiden (UP THE IRONS), Metallica, Sabbath and Megadeth.

I spent today learning Remember Tomorrow by Maiden on guitar, as well as I, by Sabbath, and Kill the King by Megadeth. I have em most down except the Megadeth one because Dave Mustaine guitar is ****ing intense.

Old
01-31-2009, 04:35 PM
Joey Mac

bayside, the sleeping, i am the avalanche, pennywise, the movielife

Old
01-31-2009, 04:48 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Mac View Post
Bayside Is Cult

Old
01-31-2009, 05:55 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Never heard of the sleeping, but I love the rest of those guys, particularly IATA.

Old
02-01-2009, 09:20 AM
Joey Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
Bayside Is Cult
This is true

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Never heard of the sleeping, but I love the rest of those guys, particularly IATA.
Check out The Sleeping if you get a chance

Old
02-01-2009, 11:28 AM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
This is true

Check out The Sleeping if you get a chance
The Sleeping rule

Old
02-01-2009, 11:33 AM
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

Send a message via AIM to Pwood Send a message via Yahoo to Pwood
Just dusted off the NHL 2004 Soundtrack. Gob - Oh! Ellin!!!

Old
02-01-2009, 11:40 AM
XS Chop

Quote:
Listened to a lot over the years, mostly stuck in the 50's-70's though. Miles, Coltrane, McLaughlan, Chick etc... Jazz lost me when they just started soloing a bit over R&B grooves, would love to hear if there's anything good out there now.

Old
02-01-2009, 11:48 AM
XS Chop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
Anybody into Reggae??? Ive been listening to alot of Gregory Isaacs and Bob Marley lately.
Did some studio work with Earl "Chinna" Smith a few years ago and what was essentially Ziggy Marleys backing band. Chinna was in Bob Marleys band in the later years and has played with just about everyone in reggae. Hell of a player and a walking encyclopedia of musical knowledge. You can check him out with Bob, Ziggy, Peter Tosh, Burning Spear, Jimmy Cliff, all good stuff.

Old
02-01-2009, 03:29 PM
spent

Out of curiousity, is anyone into early blues or early jazz?
I heard some stuff this weekend, and its bloody good stuff. I just dont know where to start... Any suggestions?

S

Old
02-01-2009, 03:43 PM
XS Chop

Quote:
Originally Posted by spent View Post
Out of curiousity, is anyone into early blues or early jazz?
I heard some stuff this weekend, and its bloody good stuff. I just dont know where to start... Any suggestions?

S
Depends on what you mean by early really. Good places to start:

Jazz:
Dizzy Gillespie
Charlie Parker
Thelonius Monk
Miles Davis (everyone on Earth should own Kind Of Blue, more or less the St. Peppers of jazz)
John Coltrane
These is ealier stuff if you want swing and some others. Easy too because most of these players played together a lot. Once you get an idea of who played on the albums you like it just expands from there. Pretty much everyone jumped from band to band and later headed their own at some point.

Blues:
Robert Johnson
Leadbelly
Lightning Hopkins
Son House
The recordings are generally pretty bad on these but thats a great place to start.

If you type any of those names into www.pandora.com it should give you a feel for what you like.

Last edited by XS Chop: 02-01-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old
02-01-2009, 10:14 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
anyone here fan of "the Dear Hunter" it is not just a movie but also a band. Note; the movie was titled "the Deer Hunter"

Old
02-02-2009, 08:38 AM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
anyone here fan of "the Dear Hunter" it is not just a movie but also a band. Note; the movie was titled "the Deer Hunter"
I liked the video game of the same name, circa Windows 98

Goin back to my last 2 years in High School here, played this song in a talent show (which we ****ing lost to a girl singing the national anthem.........). We had a keyboardist and everything. Our vocals didnt quite match the original, but w/e. We owned this song, and shoulda won.

Old
02-02-2009, 09:08 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
Im feelingthe Metal mood, been blasting a lot of Iron Maiden (UP THE IRONS), Metallica, Sabbath and Megadeth.

I spent today learning Remember Tomorrow by Maiden on guitar, as well as I, by Sabbath, and Kill the King by Megadeth. I have em most down except the Megadeth one because Dave Mustaine guitar is ****ing intense.
UP THE IRONS

My absolute favorite band!!

Remember Tomorrow is a killer song!

Closed Thread