HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you trade Halak?

Old
01-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

vCash: 500
Would you trade Halak?

I know im probably going to get shelled here because of my avatar but ill go through with it anyways

With Carey Price firmly established as your number one goalie, do you think Montreal would entertain offer's for Halak?

Halak is a potentially top 10 starter in the NHL and while he wont be as good as Price will have the chance to have an equally successfull career. Having said that, it will not happen in Montreal while Price is here meaning that you will have to trade him to another team in need of a Goalie.

My main question is, do you think he is available and if he was, what kind of value do you expect back for him

Thank you

Woodman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 03:57 PM
Pascal

I think his value as its lowest right now with his last 4-5 starts being iffy. I think Gainey will wait for a better timing..

I think a 1st rd pick or a solid #4D would be what I would be looking for.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 03:57 PM
HabsDood

Halak is crap, you can have him..

If he'd be for real he would'nt suck now, he'd be making a statement..

HabsDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

I was thinking of a 3rd round pick or a younger depth forward/defense

Old
01-07-2009, 03:59 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Goalies have such little value on the trade market, especially back ups.
That said I would not trade Halak unless it was gross overpayment.
He is still an RFA so unless a team really threw a lot for him I would not even listen.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kriss E
HFB Partner

No.
First off, he's not considered as a Top 10 Goalie yet. Will he one day??..Too early to tell.

He's not going anywhere unless Marc Denis becomes amazing, which will never happen, so until Price is 100% healthy and starts to establish himself as a true top Goalie (60-70ish GP/year)..Halak won't be moved.

Finally, the goalie market is horrible right now, so I don't see any goalies being traded.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsDood View Post

Everyone has some rough games... was his playoff run when Huet was out not 'a statement'?

I think the Habs will only trade Halak if its overpayment at this point. That, or he would be the finishing touch on a deal that would get us an impact player. But is he untouchable? No.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 04:00 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Have you seen him play lately? I think his stock dropped quite a bit these last few weeks. He is a solid goalie but he is not making a great case that he can be a starter in this league while Price has been out.

I'd consider letting him go for Schenn straight up

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 04:03 PM
emb24*

he hasn't been playing well. so what? his numbers were solid at the beginning of the year. weak goalie market or not he's worth far more than a 3rd or a depth player. he has loads of upside is a low cap hit and is 23. he also isn't getting dealt to the leafs. gainey wouldn't deal huet to ottawa and he sure as hell won't trade halak to the leafs

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I wouldn't trade him. The Habs don't have another option in goal after him, and the market value of any unproven goalie is ridiculously low. He's worth more to us than what the market will bear, so we keep him. Probably for multiple years. Then let's see if circumstances have changed.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
he hasn't been playing well. so what? his numbers were solid at the beginning of the year. weak goalie market or not he's worth far more than a 3rd or a depth player. he has loads of upside is a low cap hit and is 23. he also isn't getting dealt to the leafs. gainey wouldn't deal huet to ottawa and he sure as hell won't trade halak to the leafs
thats what 3 team deals are for, you indirectly trade him to a team like Anaheim who will only immediately deal him to us

Old
01-07-2009, 04:06 PM
sandman08

if i were gainey i wouldnt trade him now (unless the return was great) and would wait till he could get a return similar to what the leafs gave up for toskala or the panthers for vokoun

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

I could see it as an add on to deal involving a big name player going your way from us (Antropov, Kaberle, Kubina)

Old
01-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
I could see it as an add on to deal involving a big name player going your way from us (Antropov, Kaberle, Kubina)
Even then, I don't think I'd give up our goaltending insurance for even a good player, if that player would bring any contract issues with him.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Habs 1909

I would trade Halak, maybe not RIGHT NOW since his play (as of late) isn't solid. I do see him as a starter on some teams, he still needs to be more consistent which is hard to prove on a team with a starting goaltender. The problem is that I am not prepared to have Denis as our backup since he hasn't started a game in a while.
If we are going to trade Halak, we have to have a decent backup for Price. I would do Halak for a decent backup and a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 06:00 PM
emb24*

Quote:
i'm not quite sure gainey let's something like that happen after the jeff hackett - SJ/Boston fiasco

Old
01-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 0
Unless i get a top 4 D or the Oilers absolutly wants him in a trade for UFA to be Erik Cole i don't think id move him. Maybe at the draft for a 1st round pick.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 06:20 PM
mcphee

Quote:
I know im probably going to get shelled here because of my avatar but ill go through with it anyways

With Carey Price firmly established as your number one goalie, do you think Montreal would entertain offer's for Halak?

Halak is a potentially top 10 starter in the NHL and while he wont be as good as Price will have the chance to have an equally successfull career. Having said that, it will not happen in Montreal while Price is here meaning that you will have to trade him to another team in need of a Goalie.

My main question is, do you think he is available and if he was, what kind of value do you expect back for him

Thank you
I don't believe that anyone in th ehockey business could think this. Quite a few backups have made their markes recently, my guess would be that Halak would be ranked about 40-50 in terms of current goalies, not even counting various AHL ot Jr. goalies wearing goalie of the future tags.

I know yoy said potential, but everyone has potential in their system. I agree with BG though, we need him more than what we'd get for him.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I wouldn't trade him. The Habs don't have another option in goal after him, and the market value of any unproven goalie is ridiculously low. He's worth more to us than what the market will bear, so we keep him. Probably for multiple years. Then let's see if circumstances have changed.
Exactly.

but as always the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately crowd wants him evaluated on any short stretch of play of their choosing. Halak's performance is not unlike Prices at this phase of his career and I don't recall anyone wanting Price traded for pucks.

Good goaltender who gives you a chance to win every game, at a reasonable backup salary.

not going anywhere.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
I would be all in if he would bring back Kaberle our way,I kknow it would be a risky move for the future but I would gamble + Kaberle is still signed and at a fair deal

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 07:25 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
Exactly.

but as always the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately crowd wants him evaluated on any short stretch of play of their choosing. Halak's performance is not unlike Prices at this phase of his career and I don't recall anyone wanting Price traded for pucks.

Good goaltender who gives you a chance to win every game, at a reasonable backup salary.

not going anywhere.
geez Earl your post ,makes way too much sense here in the fantasy league wanna be GM threads

Old
01-07-2009, 07:49 PM
nas26

Quote:
I could definitely see him as part of a bigger deal. Granted he is valuable to Montreal as a back-up, but if it brought in a player like Kaberle, I think its a gamble worth taking. If/when Price gets healthy, he is gonna play the large majority of games. A manager of Gainey's calibre should be able to come up with a serviceable backup to replace Halak.

The Habs are in the midst of their centennial and have a legit opportunity to make a run at the Cup, and I would not have a problem if players like D'Agostini or Halak were offered up for a top notch D-man.

nas26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 09:05 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsDood View Post

How about tonight?

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Guillemin

If you're tihnking 1st round pick you're in dreamland. If Huet was only worth a second rounder, Halak by himself is a 3rd rounder at best, probably lower.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 09:46 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
If you're tihnking 1st round pick you're in dreamland. If Huet was only worth a second rounder, Halak by himself is a 3rd rounder at best, probably lower.
If that is true, then he is worth far and away more to us by keeping him rather then doing that.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote