HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you trade Halak?

Old
01-07-2009, 11:54 PM
Magic33

vCash: 500
There is no way that Halak would get us a 1st rounder. Never. I say he would bring in a 4th rounder, maybe a 3rd. Thats it though.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 12:21 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

It seems like we're repeating the same thing in every Halak thread, but here it goes... again.

Halak on his own isn't worth much. Maybe a prospect or a draft pick. But if you package him with better talent, he could fetch us a 3rd or 4th defenseman.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 12:29 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
There is no way that Halak would get us a 1st rounder. Never. I say he would bring in a 4th rounder, maybe a 3rd. Thats it though.
I am in no way in favour of trading Halak or in speculating on the value he might bring, but it's hard to compare values from an almost-UFA and a player that has several years remaining under the control of the team. Biron and Huet set the value for impending UFA's, perhaps Vesa Toskala is a representatoin of an underpaid backup under contract.

Not making a comparison of Toskala to Halak, but if Halak has a great month or 2, got a couple playoff starts, some GM's might start to think of him as a starter-in-waiting. that's when interest (and value) would rise.

Today, he's worth more to the Habs than he is to anyone else. Sure some people will talk about the improbable knock-your-socks-off offer that Gainey has to entertain, but that's fan fantasy. From a prospect point of view most organizations have a least one goaltender that they would put in the Halak level of potential. That leaves a situation of a high supply of Halaks, and a low demand.

I personally think that Halak is going to show his value at some point, not in terms of assets he gets the team, but in some part of his play. Hey, maybe it's happening right now, because I've not heard of a timeline for Price's return or how serious his injury might be down the road. We might be seeing Halak growing before our very eyes in the next few months.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 02:01 AM
Teufelsdreck

For the time being the Habs are stuck with Halak. He's given the team 3 shaky games in a row. The Habs were lucky to defeat the Panthers and the Rangers. Every out of town commentator recognizes that Halak is very weak and they point it out on their broadcasts. Unfortunately, Price is injured and Denis isn't playing well, so Gainey can't trade Halak. Besides, Halak has little or no market value at this point. Price can't play every game forthe rest of the season, so Hab fans will have to suffer until Halak starts to play at a competent NHL level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
I am in no way in favour of trading Halak or in speculating on the value he might bring, but it's hard to compare values from an almost-UFA and a player that has several years remaining under the control of the team. Biron and Huet set the value for impending UFA's, perhaps Vesa Toskala is a representatoin of an underpaid backup under contract.

Not making a comparison of Toskala to Halak, but if Halak has a great month or 2, got a couple playoff starts, some GM's might start to think of him as a starter-in-waiting. that's when interest (and value) would rise.

Today, he's worth more to the Habs than he is to anyone else. Sure some people will talk about the improbable knock-your-socks-off offer that Gainey has to entertain, but that's fan fantasy. From a prospect point of view most organizations have a least one goaltender that they would put in the Halak level of potential. That leaves a situation of a high supply of Halaks, and a low demand.

I personally think that Halak is going to show his value at some point, not in terms of assets he gets the team, but in some part of his play. Hey, maybe it's happening right now, because I've not heard of a timeline for Price's return or how serious his injury might be down the road. We might be seeing Halak growing before our very eyes in the next few months.

Growing like a tumor?

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-08-2009 at 02:22 AM.
Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 02:07 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
For the time being the Habs are stuck with Halak. He's given the team 3 shaky games in a row. The Habs were lucky to defeat the Panthers and the Rangers. Every out of town commentator recognizes that Halak is very weak and they point it out on their broadcasts. Unfortunately, Price is injured and Denis isn't playing well, so Gainey can't trade Halak. Besides, Halak has little or no market value at this point. Price can't play every game forthe rest of the season, so Hab fans will have to suffer until Halak starts to play at a competent NHL level.
36 saves tonight, not good enough for your standards?

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 08:11 PM
panorama01*

No. Halak has more value where he is. He played splendidly last night against the Rangers.

I was checking Price's win-loss numbers compared with his stats and it reminded me of when I checked those of Patrick Roy in 1985-86 - his gaa and svpct stats not much better than Soetart's, but Soetart was a .500 goalie the way Halak seems to be, while Roy was finding ways to parlay his numbers into significantly more wins than losses.

panorama01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 08:43 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
How the hell do we have a thread on trading this dude every 2-3 days? What can possibly change so much in that period of time?

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 01:27 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
I know im probably going to get shelled here because of my avatar but ill go through with it anyways

With Carey Price firmly established as your number one goalie, do you think Montreal would entertain offer's for Halak?

Halak is a potentially top 10 starter in the NHL and while he wont be as good as Price will have the chance to have an equally successfull career. Having said that, it will not happen in Montreal while Price is here meaning that you will have to trade him to another team in need of a Goalie.

My main question is, do you think he is available and if he was, what kind of value do you expect back for him

Thank you

Habs might trade him to move up in draft. Myself, I think Halak is next Gerber type. But with right goaltending coach could be another Vokoun also. At 23, and a goalie, hard to say.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 01:34 AM
muzion

We have to wait for his value to go up before trading him. He's a great asset, a 9th round pick who's providing us a good bang for our buck. If he could simply learn to not always play so deep in net he could become a top 10-15 goalie in this league, I truly believe it.

muzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 01:56 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Lebeau made a good point yesterday on La Zone..
He said..Halak is 26th in GAA...and 22nd in Sv%..
When you consider there's 30starters, he's definitely one of the best back up.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:58 AM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
We just need to be more patient with him

I still think the kid has Top 10 goalie potential... he can be a very good starter... he just needs the confidence and to tweak his game.

Halak has been successful at every level of Hockey... kid is a winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzion View Post
We have to wait for his value to go up before trading him. He's a great asset, a 9th round pick who's providing us a good bang for our buck. If he could simply learn to not always play so deep in net he could become a top 10-15 goalie in this league, I truly believe it.
Oh look... another Muzion fan

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 04:10 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Lebeau made a good point yesterday on La Zone..
He said..Halak is 26th in GAA...and 22nd in Sv%..
When you consider there's 30starters, he's definitely one of the best back up.
Is that counting all goalies or just those who have played X amount of games?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote