HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Travel Alert for Saturday, January 17, vs. Boston

Old
01-07-2009, 07:47 PM
LadyIce

vCash: 500
Travel Alert for Saturday, January 17, vs. Boston

Here's the email I received from the Caps today.

Quote:
The gates will be opening a half hour early, at 5:30pm, for the 7:00pm start of the Capitals game vs. the Boston Bruins on January 17th at Verizon Center. Fans are advised to be aware of anticipated street closings and travel delays due to the Presidential Inauguration.

According to the Inauguration Website, Obama and Biden will be arriving in DC at Union Station which is just blocks from Verizon Center. They haven't released times yet, but when or if they do I'll post it here.

I'll post any other announced street closing here as well.

For anyone going to the game who didn't attend the game when the G-20 Summit was at the Building Museum across from Verizon, traffic was EPIC FAIL.

LadyIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 08:05 PM
MDHockey

Send a message via Yahoo to MDHockey
Thats why I'm taking the DC Metro to the game lol

MDHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 10:38 PM
LadyIce

If you're going to the game from VA...

I-95/395 HOV Schedule

* From 4 p.m. Saturday, January 17 until 3 a.m. Tuesday, January 20, the I-395/95 HOV lanes will be northbound for vehicles carrying three or more people (HOV-3).

--------------------------------------------------------------

I-66, Dulles Toll Road and Dulles Connector Road HOV Schedule

* From 4 p.m. Saturday, January 17, until 3 a.m. Tuesday, January 20, HOV-2 will be in effect eastbound.

Old
01-09-2009, 01:30 PM
LadyIce

Obama's and Biden's Impact on Amtrak

Amtrak Prepares for Crowds Along Obama Train Route

For anyone who goes through Union Station on the Red Line, keep in mind this may impact that route.

You may want to take note if you're coming from the Baltimore area as well.

Quote:
The president-elect and Biden will then make a stop in Baltimore before making their way to Washington.
I doubt it will happen due to security reason, but hopefully we'll get an idea of what time they're due in at Union Station as this may impact getting to Verizon Center, especially if you come by way of New York Avenue. No wonder they're going to let people in at 5:30.

Old
01-09-2009, 02:37 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Are the bars still open 24/7 that weekend?

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 04:02 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
Poor Baltimore, i hope they dont close the city like they did on me last time the dummy went there when I was trying to go there. But i am surprised the bars are allowed to be open. Drunks are unpredictable and all. We arent allowed to have water or baby strollers, so why booze?

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 06:32 AM
LadyIce

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Are the bars still open 24/7 that weekend?
They'll be open but only serving alcohol until 4:00 a.m. It was supposed to be 5:00 until neighborhood groups worried there'd be loud drunks running in the streets and keeping residents awake...as if that wouldn't happen at 1, 2, or 3 a.m. Food is supposed to available 24 hours.

Old
01-10-2009, 09:43 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDHockey View Post
Thats why I'm taking the DC Metro to the game lol
that'll probably be worse. The number of people in the city is going to be INSANE.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 11:02 AM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyIce View Post
Here's the email I received from the Caps today.

According to the Inauguration Website, Obama and Biden will be arriving in DC at Union Station which is just blocks from Verizon Center. They haven't released times yet, but when or if they do I'll post it here.

I'll post any other announced street closing here as well.

For anyone going to the game who didn't attend the game when the G-20 Summit was at the Building Museum across from Verizon, traffic was EPIC FAIL.
I believe the radio said they are scheduled to arrive around 6:00 on Saturday .....

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 09:40 PM
LadyIce

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter View Post
I believe the radio said they are scheduled to arrive around 6:00 on Saturday .....
Oh YAY! That's why the Caps are opening the doors at 5:30. Guess I'm going at 4 and squeezing into the Turtle.

I keep listening to WTOP. They said the rehearsal was a colossal disaster because they got the street closings all screwed up and some were closed at the last minute without warning. I'm sure the people who go to the big churches downtown were pleased.

Old
01-12-2009, 12:08 AM
MDHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
that'll probably be worse. The number of people in the city is going to be INSANE.
Well I'm gonna be there really early b/c I'll be at the Maryland/American women's ice hockey game

Old
01-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Otter

Keep in mind that people won't be coming on the day of the event either. We're going to be crawling in tourist traffic starting on Friday evening. yeah!

Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Keep in mind that people won't be coming on the day of the event either. We're going to be crawling in tourist traffic starting on Friday evening. yeah!
Or earlier.

Old
01-13-2009, 02:46 AM
LadyIce

I wish they weren't so tight-lipped about street closings. The DC Gov't. got bent because streets not on the pre-approved list were closed for the rehearsal Sunday morning without any notification and it was a nightmare. I'm sure the people who live downtown or got to church downtown were furious.

I just hope it's not a mob scene downtown Saturday before and after the game.

Old
01-13-2009, 11:17 PM
LadyIce

This was in my Ice Chips Newsletter

Quote:
Traffic Alerts
District of Columbia Street Closing Information | Metro Disruption Reports

Street closures starting on Jan. 16

E Street, NW, from 15th Street to 17th Street is closed to all traffic.
A "Truck Restriction Zone" has been established on 17th Street, NW, between H Street and Constitution Avenue, for commercial truck traffic only. This zone is in effect between the hours of 5 am and 9 pm daily.
A "Truck Enforcement Zone" has been established on 17th Street, NW, between Pennsylvania Avenue and E Street. This zone is in effect 24 hours a day.
A "No Stopping or Standing Zone" has been established on 17th Street, NW for ALL vehicles between New York Avenue and Pennsylvania Avenue on both sides of the street. No metered parking or general public parking has been eliminated or affected by the new restrictions. This will be in effect 24 hours a day.
C Street, from Washington Avenue, SW, to 1st Street, SE
South Capitol Street, from C Street to Independence Avenue
New Jersey Avenue, from C Street to Independence Avenue, SE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Street closures starting Jan. 16-18
13th Street to Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
E Street from 12th to 13th Street
More can be found here

In other traffic news...
Saturday, they're taping the BET Honor Awards at the Warner Theater, so expect traffic problems as the celebs and fans arrive at the theater.

There's also the All Pro & All Stars Inaugural Celebration at Union Station
Quote:
Inaugural Ball Watch: The All Pro & All Stars Inaugural Celebration

Who: Redskins running back Clinton Portis, Wizards forward Antwan Jamison
When: Jan. 17, 9 p.m. until 4 a.m.
Where: Union Station, 50 Massachusetts Ave. NE, Washington D.C.
Tickets: $100; $200 for VIP; order tickets here.
Why You Want to Attend: Go to a ball with real ballers.

Old
01-16-2009, 01:46 AM
LadyIce

The U.S. Park Police previously announced the following closings:

Quote:
January 17th starting at 3:00 p.m. until January 18th at approximately 5:00 p.m.:

• 23rd Street at Constitution Ave
• Henry Bacon Drive
Keep this in mind if you use 66 or Constitution Avenue to get into DC. Traffic could be heavy in that area.

This is in regards to the Whistle Stop Tour from Philadelphia to Union Station from Inauguration Day 2009
Quote:
January 17 — Whistle Stop Tour by Train

The schedule is now available. Authorities are expecting that hundreds of thousands of people will watch the train pass from overpasses, stations, and other locations. If you do stand trackside, be careful stay far enough away to be safe.
Time Event

10:05 AM: President-Elect Obama speaks in Philadelphia before boarding a train to Wilmington, DE, Baltimore, MD, and Washington, DC. Tickets are required and have already been distributed.

1:00 PM: Vice President-Elect Biden boards the inaugural train in Wilmington, Delaware. Before the train departs for Baltimore, there will be a free public event at the Wilmington Train Station, (100 South French Street). Doors open at 9:30 AM for this event.

4:15 PM: President-Elect Obama and Vice President-Elect Biden speak in Baltimore at the War Memorial Plaza (101 N. Gay Street) before continuing on to Washington, DC. Access to the Plaza will start at 1:00 p.m.

Evening: Obama and Biden families arrive at Washington's Union Station by train. No public speaking event has been announced.
There's no time for their arrival at Union Station, but it does look like it should be somewhere around 6:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. give or take. If you travel into DC from NY Avenue, Mass Avenue or surrounding streets, there could be rolling road blocks for the motorcades.

A few nights ago the police were on the corners near Verizon Center for a road block and people were driving stupid because they were afraid of the police, were looking at what was happening, and were hoping to get a glimps of someone...they didn't even know who. Took me 15 minutes to go ONE and a HALF BLOCKS!

Old
01-16-2009, 09:07 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Maybe next time the Caps can request a road trip for the inaugural period.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 09:30 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 View Post
Maybe next time the Caps can request a road trip for the inaugural period.
They kind of do. I don't think people realized it was going to be crazy 3 days before the inauguration. They don't play a home game for 2 weeks after this one.

Old
01-16-2009, 09:45 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
With the obvious fears we have regarding security post 911, the president should just stay in the bunker and video conference everything. It would sure save a lot of taxpayer money on security detail, and reduce the dangers his detail obviously fears. You cant see him anywhere he goes anyways, so why bother. Protestors would have nothing to do.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 10:35 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Max Headroom, here we come.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 04:59 AM
LadyIce

If you're coming in from Baltimore, there are a number of roads closed for the Whistle Stop Tour.

http://www.bmorenews.com/community/c...ry-for-p.shtml
Quote:
The following streets will be closed on Saturday, January 17, 2009 at 4:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m.

* I-83 northbound will be closed from President/Lombard Streets to North Avenue;
* I-83 southbound will be closed at North Avenue
* All streets bounded by St. Paul Street, Lombard Street, The Fallsway/Front Street and Bath Street. The streets surrounding the Main Post Office will also be closed, but public access to the Post Office will be maintained from the east via Fayette Street and Colvin Street

The following street will be closed at 2:00 p.m. until 9:00 p,m,

* Orleans Street from Gay to St. Paul Streets

Additional Department of Transportation Traffic Advisories can be found at www.baltimorecity.gov.

Old
01-17-2009, 05:22 PM
Dream Big

The Obama Express is making it's way from Baltimore to Union Station. Reported by CNN to arrive momentarily. The buzz surrounding this event and leading to the Inaugaration must be so exciting for those of you there. I look forward to getting updates from you all. Good luck getting to and from the game tonight.

Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 10:27 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

So, for those who went down, how was the crowd? How was the metro traffic? What was the scene on the streets like outside?

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 12:56 AM
LadyIce

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
So, for those who went down, how was the crowd? How was the metro traffic? What was the scene on the streets like outside?
My game companion came in on Metro from VA (Pentagon City) around 3:30ish and he said it was a mess. I drove down from Southeast DC by way of the 3rd Street Tunnel which was fine until I got to the tunnel which had heavy volume between people not being able to take 12th Street and trying to get to Union Station in hopes of seeing Obama.

The traffic once I got near VZC was heavy. I got up E Street only to find out the AARP Lot was closed to daily parking...don't know if this is going to be a regular thing or not, but if it is, I'll be calling and emailing someone to complain.

Had to cut through and go around the block to park in the lot across from it. Luckily I got downtown around 4:30 or so because the lot was filling up quickly.

Leaving was a mess. Between the regular street closures after Caps games and the closures by the Warner Theater, traffic on E Street was heavy. We saw lots of ginormous Limos between BET Awards, the Parties at the Convention Center, Union Station and The Harmen Theater. Add to that, they were beginning to set up at the Building Museum for the Ball on Tuesday night. There were already tents out on the street for the security checks.

We took 3rd Street tunnel to VA which had more traffic than usual even for a Saturday night. 395 South looked like the start of rush hour with taillights for miles. Rt. 1 wasn't too bad and getting back over the 14th Street bridge into DC wasn't as heavy as outbound traffic.

There were more cops out on the road than usual both in DC and VA.

Old
01-18-2009, 02:14 AM
MDHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
I went on the metro, but I was there early for the Maryland v American womens ice hockey game @ 2pm. I had absolutely no problem on the metro, prolly since I got on @ College Park