HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1-8-09 Hawks at Avs 7 PM MT

Old
01-08-2009, 10:50 PM
PeterTheGreat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
Does it matter who has the title of line 1? In 06-07 when we had both the Stastny and Sakic lines with each player on each line putting up 70+pts, any team would kill for that kind of production from one, let alone two, of their lines.
That was my point exactly.

PeterTheGreat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 10:51 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mules View Post
GIve him a chance with good wingers.
But where? As the third line center?

Old
01-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Wolski and Svatos have some chemistry so, when Stazz does come back i'd like to see them reunited with hensick.

Hensick-Wolski-Svatos

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
Theres still a long time before Staz comes back so who knows. If Wolski continues to develop chemistry with Smyth and Hejduk and they continue to play like they have been, I see no reason to split them up.

Staz can help jump start some of our other struggling wingers like Svatos and Jones or Stewart.

EDIT: Or maybe the guy in my avatar
Smyth-Stastny-Hejduk
Forsberg-Wolski-Svatos
McLeod-Sakic-Jones
Tucker-Guite-Lappy

- Arnason, Hensick & Stewart sent back down to AHL...

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 10:58 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by svatos_the_great View Post
Wolski and Svatos have some chemistry so, when Stazz does come back i'd like to see them reunited with hensick.

Hensick-Wolski-Svatos
If you had posted those lines last year, I would have shuddered at the thought of them defensively. But with the way Wolski has played this season, it's possible for that line to not be horrible in their own end. Wolski would have to pretty much carry the defensive responsibility though as his 2 wingers are pretty below average defensively.

Old
01-08-2009, 11:01 PM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Hum, would Wolski work well on the 3rd line once both Joe/Staz come back, some what like Ryan Kesler? Another problem will be what to do with Wolski once they do come back, unless Joe is being converted into a winger/playing the 3rd line or Wolski is being converted back again or playing the 3rd line.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:05 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Smyth-Stastny-Hejduk
Forsberg-Wolski-Svatos
McLeod-Sakic-Jones
Tucker-Guite-Lappy

Just thinking out loud here, but would Sakic benefit from playing wing? Little less defensive stress. Lets face it, he didn't exactly look like the Sakic we used to know defensively before he got hurt.

My lines would be:

Smyth-Stastny-Hejduk
Foppa-Wolski-Sakic
Jones-Lappy-Svatos
McLeod-Guite-Tucker

Old
01-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

By far, this was the best defensive performance of the season by the team's forward crew. They were phenominal at skating pucks out of the zone and very rarely did the Hawks get chances off rebounds.

Can't think of a good reason not to give Raycroft another go against the Pens.

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:08 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
By far, this was the best defensive performance of the season by the team's forward crew. They were phenominal at skating pucks out of the zone and very rarely did the Hawks get chances off rebounds.

Can't think of a good reason not to give Raycroft another go against the Pens.
Other than tempting fate, I agree.

Old
01-08-2009, 11:10 PM
PeterTheGreat

Also on a side note, I thought Scott Hannan had an excellent game. He logged 23:27 TOI and was a plus 1. He neutralized Toews and Kane. I hardly even remember seeing Hannan out there, but thats what makes it such a good night for him.

Old
01-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyori View Post
Hum, would Wolski work well on the 3rd line once both Joe/Staz come back, some what like Ryan Kesler? Another problem will be what to do with Wolski once they do come back, unless Joe is being converted into a winger/playing the 3rd line or Wolski is being converted back again or playing the 3rd line.
It's only a problem that's going to last a total of maybe 11 games. I'd be shocked if Sakic doesn't retire after this season.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:11 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hekic42 View Post
It's only a problem that's going to last a total of maybe 11 games. I'd be shocked if Sakic doesn't retire after this season.
Plus playoffs of course.

Old
01-08-2009, 11:22 PM
SB

Quote:
Also on a side note, I thought Scott Hannan had an excellent game. He logged 23:27 TOI and was a plus 1. He neutralized Toews and Kane. I hardly even remember seeing Hannan out there, but thats what makes it such a good night for him.
I agree ... I noticed him a lot, but I was at the game, so maybe a different perspective. He was really, really good. Very physical.

SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Mant*

Quote:
Theres still a long time before Staz comes back so who knows. If Wolski continues to develop chemistry with Smyth and Hejduk and they continue to play like they have been, I see no reason to split them up.

Staz can help jump start some of our other struggling wingers like Svatos and Jones or Stewart.

EDIT: Or maybe the guy in my avatar
If Wolski/Smyth/Hejduk continue to consistently get results, then it would be foolish to mess with the line when Stastny and Sakic return. The fact that we don't have any second or third line production worth mentioning is where they should focus on fitting the injured players in when they return. A solid one-two punch is something this team has sorely missed since the lockout removed Forsberg from the team. Right now it's just too easy for teams with any sort of solid defensive pairing to completely shut down the Avs offense because they can concentrate all their efforts on one line and be pretty confident that the other three lines won't be a threat.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Mant*

Quote:
Yeah, with defensmen it's a lot easier to notice them when they're screwing up.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:42 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

I'm not sure if that was the best game the Avs have played all year, but it sure was one of the most entertaining.

Some thoughts:

- This "Wolski experiment" is looking better by the hour.

- Put Svatos with some good players, for Chrissakes.

- Raycroft was simply great. I'm not sure the Avs deserved this game, but great goaltending is always nice.

- The team defense was excellent for the 2nd game in a row. I'm having some trouble remembering when we last saw this sort of thing.

- Good call on the Smyth goal. ****** call on that faceoff. Not in the 3rd period of a tied game. I'm happy as a Avs fan, that's BS as a hockey fan.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:44 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
I'm not sure if that was the best game the Avs have played all year, but it sure was one of the most entertaining.

Some thoughts:

- This "Wolski experiment" is looking better by the hour.

- Put Svatos with some good players, for Chrissakes.

- Raycroft was simply great. I'm not sure the Avs deserved this game, but great goaltending is always nice.

- The team defense was excellent for the 2nd game in a row. I'm having some trouble remembering when we last saw this sort of thing.

- Good call on the Smyth goal. ****** call on that faceoff. Not in the 3rd period of a tied game. I'm happy as a Avs fan, that's BS as a hockey fan.

-AB
I agree. I like Jones as a player, but his hands are just not where they should be for a top six player yet. Put Svatos with Stewart and Hensick.

Old
01-08-2009, 11:49 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
If Wolski/Smyth/Hejduk continue to consistently get results, then it would be foolish to mess with the line when Stastny and Sakic return.
I disagree. For a couple of reasons.

One, Wolski has looked good with those other two guys for a grand total of 6 or 7 PERIODS. Stastny has done so for a year and a half. Stastny has earned the #1 center spot.

Two, Stastny was on fire - even more so than Wolski is now - right before he got hurt.

The good news here is that the Avs may have found their 1-2 punch at center, as you say. But, replacing Stastny with Wolski after but two games is nothing short of a very rash decision.

If Wolski is the guy at #2 center (I do not believe he is Stastny's superior at center), the wildcard here is Marek Svatos. He's been playing alongside 3rd line scrubs damn near all year. Who does he play with?

What do you folks think of this?:

Smyth-Stastny-Svatos
Hejduk-Wolski-Jones/Stewart

Both lines have the center, a good skilled wing, and some sandpaper.

???

-AB

Old
01-09-2009, 12:00 AM
Golden Foppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Smyth-Stastny-Hejduk
Forsberg-Wolski-Svatos
McLeod-Sakic-Jones
Tucker-Guite-Lappy

How about?:

Smyth-Stastny-Hejduk
Forsberg-Wolski-Svatos
Stewart-Sakic-Jones
McLeod-Guite-Lappy

Tucker sucks.

Golden Foppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:29 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
Yeah, with defensmen it's a lot easier to notice them when they're screwing up.
Despite the fact that Hannan isn't quite the shutdown, mean/nasty defenseman that many of us thought we were getting, he's quietly been stringing together a pretty solid season on the backline. At the halfway point, it's either him or Leopold as the Avs best defenseman this season, and I'm not so sure that Leopold's offense isn't blinding me into thinking that he's been the better of the two.

Hannan knows his limits and almost always makes the safe, smart play--no matter what the zone.

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 01:40 AM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Foppa View Post
How about?:

Smyth-Stastny-Hejduk
Forsberg-Wolski-Svatos
Stewart-Sakic-Jones
McLeod-Guite-Lappy

Tucker sucks.
I would LOVE to see that second line. I think they could do some major damage. However its kind of hard not to put Forsberg with Stastny and Hejduk again since that line was magical together last season.

Old
01-09-2009, 06:02 AM
chiavsfan

Raycroft to get the start against the Pens...in the Denver Post this morning

chiavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 07:22 AM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
Despite the fact that Hannan isn't quite the shutdown, mean/nasty defenseman that many of us thought we were getting, he's quietly been stringing together a pretty solid season on the backline. At the halfway point, it's either him or Leopold as the Avs best defenseman this season, and I'm not so sure that Leopold's offense isn't blinding me into thinking that he's been the better of the two.

Hannan knows his limits and almost always makes the safe, smart play--no matter what the zone.
He's played just fine. Solid every game.

-AB

Old
01-09-2009, 07:55 AM
chiavsfan

I think it's safe to say, at this point, that Jeff Hackett is a pretty good goalie coach??

chiavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 07:58 AM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiavsfan View Post
I think it's safe to say, at this point, that Jeff Hackett is a pretty good goalie coach??
Think we can trade him to the Caps so he can work with Theo again for Ovechkin?

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote