HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Eastern reserves named

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-08-2009, 11:39 AM
  #76
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Markov is second in scoring by defenseman in the Eastern Conference and one of the best. There is nothing wrong with him being there.
IMO Markov would be a starter even if the selection was made on merit rather than popularity. I really don't understand why there would be complaints about his selection.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:39 AM
  #77
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Whites Eye View Post
than it shouldnt be called the ALL STAR game. it should be called the "popularity contest golden globe awards"

again, this isnt saying its habs fans faults
Well I'm glad you say that because I agree that this is ****ed up but I hate it when people wrongly accuse us when all we did was vote for our favorite players that we want to see in the All-Star game.

And you are right, this is the popularity contest and that's we've been calling it lately in Montreal.

Jack Bourdain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:39 AM
  #78
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItVeryMuch View Post
But those players were Toews, Kane, Getzlaf and Neids, a little different than Komisarek and Markov.
I dont personally give a ****, but thats the reason why people are not complaining.
Markov is betetr than all of those players and Toews is the worst of the bunch. Everybody keeps saying how good of a selection Toews was and how bad of a selection Kovalev was when in reality they have the same effective output.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:40 AM
  #79
Afinogretzky
Registered User
 
Afinogretzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis3 View Post
The worst thing is no Semin...his PPG is 2nd best in the NHL.

No Backstrom is a joke...

No Elias is a joke..

No Kessel is a joke..

No Zheredev is a joke..

No Richards is a joke..

Komi being in is a joke..
Kovalev bein in is a joke..
Kovalchuk hasnt done much this year..


Timonen isnt an all-star this year til just lately.
Zherdev? really? Can you really make a case that he clearly deserves a spot over someone else?

Afinogretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:41 AM
  #80
wahoowa
All in the Game
 
wahoowa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 947
vCash: 500
I'm surprised I haven't seen more on Kimmo Timonen - as a Flyer fan, I can see Richards/Gagne not going, but it's hard not to see Kimmo. He's such a steady, underrated player both offensively and defensively. Hopefully the time off will help his foot heal a little more.

wahoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:41 AM
  #81
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,153
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Markov is betetr than all of those players and Toews is the worst of the bunch. Everybody keeps saying how good of a selection Toews was and how bad of a selection Kovalev was when in reality they have the same effective output.
Nope, those 3 extra points Toews have puts him on a whole other level.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:41 AM
  #82
Jee
Moderator
@DeuxiemeJumeau
 
Jee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Ireland
Posts: 18,966
vCash: 500
Komisarek may not be flashy, but he's one of the best Defenceman in the East...

People are taking this too seriously.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:41 AM
  #83
PatrickEaves
We Lost
 
PatrickEaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
There would be, although it may not come from you. Everyone knows the Habs and their fans are the most annoying in the league, after all.

As for the selection, it's a good spread, better than the West's. There are deserving players missing (Elias, Semin, Green, etc.) but there are going to be such things every time, and everyone who was named to the team is a deserving selection, if you're mindful of the one-per-team criteria.
Heatley is NOT A DESERVING selection. The guy is one of the last guys that any objective Sens fan would pick. Guys like Chris Neil, and Shean freaking Donovan are on a list of people on the Sens that would be more deserving to represent the Senators at the All-Star game.

That's how bad and slow and lazy he has been this year.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:42 AM
  #84
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyBlowz View Post
no mike green

and staal over backstrom and richards is a disgrace
I realize you are a Caps fan and defending your player....but I am guessing you are also just basing everything on STATS.

Sure Staal's point totals aren't as high as Backstrom or Richards..but you should look under the covers of the total stats.....Washington and Philadelphia are much more offensive teams than Carolina. Also, with more talented offensive players around them...Backstrom and Richards can rack up assist totals much higher than Staal will ever be able to this year.

Washington: 133 Goals, 360 points
Flyers: 131 Goals, 340 points
Carolina: 107 Goals, 292 points

Now look at the % of teams goals/points each player is responsible for:

Backstrom: 9% of goals, 12.5% of points
Richards: 11.5% of goals, 12.5% of points
Staal: 17% of goals, 11% of points.

Staal also has 4 GWG vs. 3 for Richards and 1 for Backstrom.

My conclusions: Staal doesn't have as talented players around him to rack up assist totals, but Staal's goal scoring is a bigger % of his teams scoring.

Let's look at a few other stats:

+/-
Backstrom: +6 on a team that is +73
Richards: +16 on a team that is +37
Staal: +11 on a team that is -29

I realize +/- can be a misleading stat..but Staal's numbers are impressive and show how much of a two way game he has been playing this season.

Power play vs. even strength:

Backstrom: 51% of points are even strength/SH
Richards: 59% of points are even strength/SH
Staal: 68% of the points are even strength/SH

I am not trying to say that Staal is more deserving than Richards and Backstrom....but he is not as far off as you and others are stating.

Boom Boom Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:42 AM
  #85
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,956
vCash: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffonfire View Post
People are taking this too seriously.
The All Star game is serious business. The outcome will determine...well nothing.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:43 AM
  #86
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce
 
AfroThunder396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 23,965
vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Remember all the *****ing people did when the Ducks and Blackhawks voted in 3 of their players? Oh wait...
Quality over quantity. I can't find anyone who thinks Kane, Getzlaf, Campbell, Pronger, and Giguere shouldn't be there. Toews is the only questionable one but is nearly at a point per game, is a great leader, and is much better defensively, and the only players that were snubbed were on the fringe anyways.

No one can make a legit argument (based on actual play) as to why Komisarek and Kovalev should be there.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:43 AM
  #87
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 20,339
vCash: 500
Is it just me, or are a lot of people acting purposefully dense when it comes to how these rosters are constructed?

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:45 AM
  #88
Jee
Moderator
@DeuxiemeJumeau
 
Jee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Ireland
Posts: 18,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
No one can make a legit argument (based on actual play) as to why Komisarek and Kovalev should be there.
because it was a fan voting?!

Is there really anything more to say?.... really??

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:46 AM
  #89
sonny side up
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: the dark room
Country: United States
Posts: 2,548
vCash: 500
mike smith should be there.. the only good player on tampa.. but everyone knew vinny would go...

sonny side up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:47 AM
  #90
Davis3*
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Quality over quantity. I can't find anyone who thinks Kane, Getzlaf, Campbell, Pronger, and Giguere shouldn't be there. Toews is the only questionable one but is nearly at a point per game, is a great leader, and is much better defensively, and the only players that were snubbed were on the fringe anyways.

No one can make a legit argument (based on actual play) as to why Komisarek and Kovalev should be there.
Giguere is over-rated,hiller has done better this year...I would have Mason, Backstrom, Luongo, Nabokov over giguere.

Davis3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:47 AM
  #91
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,956
vCash: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Quality over quantity. I can't find anyone who thinks Kane, Getzlaf, Campbell, Pronger, and Giguere shouldn't be there. Toews is the only questionable one but is nearly at a point per game, is a great leader, and is much better defensively, and the only players that were snubbed were on the fringe anyways.

No one can make a legit argument (based on actual play) as to why Komisarek and Kovalev should be there.
I know Komisarek shouldn't be there, I have never said he should. I just find it funny that people are saying that the Hab players are keeping out like ten guys when in reality it's like two. The reason people are crying is because players off their favorite team don't get to play in a game that they claim they won't watch anyway. Pittsburgh fans, Chicago fans and Anaheim fans stuffed the ballot but that's okay. But the second the Hab fans do it to vote for a game that they are paying to see it's the end of the world.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:48 AM
  #92
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
No one can make a legit argument (based on actual play) as to why Komisarek and Kovalev should be there.
Well Komisarek led the league in hits and blockshots last season if I recall, so maybe a little bit of recognition or at the least stop venting your anger at him and undervaluing him like this.

Jack Bourdain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:50 AM
  #93
thinicer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Orlando, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 393
vCash: 500
Backstrom was snubbed. Averaging over a point a game and with better stats than the likes of Staal, Lecavalier and Heatley yet he's put on the sidelines. What a joke the All-Star game is.

thinicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:51 AM
  #94
rebel diamond
Registered User
 
rebel diamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Trinidad and Tobago
Posts: 5,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis3 View Post
The worst thing is no Semin...his PPG is 2nd best in the NHL.

No Backstrom is a joke...

No Elias is a joke..

No Kessel is a joke..

No Zheredev is a joke..

No Richards is a joke..

Komi being in is a joke..
Kovalev bein in is a joke..
Kovalchuk hasnt done much this year..


Timonen isnt an all-star this year til just lately.
Calm down a sec and think through what you just said logically. You just tried to add 6 players to the team while removing 3, one of whom is there because of the "one-per-team" rule. Your outrage apparently isn't with the selections, but with the format.

The answer is to pick bigger teams. Saying "they won't fit on the bench" is not an excuse. The reason they can pick a player per team in the NFL and MLB are the team sizes.

rebel diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:52 AM
  #95
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoowa View Post
I'm surprised I haven't seen more on Kimmo Timonen - as a Flyer fan, I can see Richards/Gagne not going, but it's hard not to see Kimmo. He's such a steady, underrated player both offensively and defensively. Hopefully the time off will help his foot heal a little more.
Who would you bump off? The starters are voted in and Timonen wouldn't bump Markov in any case. Clearly Chara is a no-brainer. Then Kaberle, Streit, and Bouwmeester are the only players from their teams and deserving selections in their own right.

You can make a case that Komisarek should be out, but then Green would be more likely to be in than Timonen.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:59 AM
  #96
Jee
Moderator
@DeuxiemeJumeau
 
Jee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Ireland
Posts: 18,966
vCash: 500
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvFKnyS0E_o

YOOOO ALL-STAR!

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:59 AM
  #97
El Maestro
Registered User
 
El Maestro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: France
Posts: 4,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Well Komisarek led the league in hits and blockshots last season if I recall, so maybe a little bit of recognition or at the least stop venting your anger at him and undervaluing him like this.
Don't matter this year, otherwise we could have vote Theodore as a starter because he was very good a few years ago.

El Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 12:00 PM
  #98
britdevil
Tea with milk...
 
britdevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Internets.
Posts: 19,219
vCash: 500
Malkin - Crosby - Kovalev
Ovechkin - Savard - Parise
Kovalchuk - Carter - Heatley
Vanek - Lecavalier - Staal

Markov - Komisarek
Chara - Kaberle
Bouwmeester - Streit

Price
Thomas
Lundqvist

Solid line-up, I think Julien will shuffle the lines anyway.

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 12:02 PM
  #99
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!
 
8spokesontheB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Everyone knows the Habs and their fans are the most annoying in the league, after all.
Now, now, now. Decorum, please. We ALL know that Coyotes and Lightning fans take that cake. Habs fans are second only to you-know-who.

Not that it is appropriate in this thread, but I think the reserve selections were good, all in all. I also like fan voting, and 1-player-from each team. I think some excellent players on teams light on talent wouldn't make it otherwise. Lots of guys taking feeds from all-star playmakers can't hold up when shipped to a new team, and some guys carrying teams seemingly by themselves would be in the top 5 in scoring if they had more talent around them.

All this Montreal talk has me hungry for poutine, for crying out loud...

8spokesontheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 12:03 PM
  #100
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djo89 View Post
Don't matter this year, otherwise we could have vote Theodore as a starter because he was very good a few years ago.
I'm pretty sure if Komisarek didn't miss a month of action due to injury, he would still be up there.

Jack Bourdain is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.