HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Staal signs 4 year deal

Old
01-08-2009, 11:31 AM
cassius

vCash: 500
If Staal performs, it's a bargain.

If Staal continues the way hes been playin, then our chances of a cup in the next 4 years are toast

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:31 AM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Agreed, and those two will cost another $5m to $6m combined for the next season or two. That means we could have less to spend on a winger for Sid next year than we are paying Satan right now
Any winning combination in today's NHL has to include some young / cheap talent. And this is the biggest problem right now.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:32 AM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVPens View Post
Can someone put together an up to date 2009-10 roster with the contracts of who's signed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Staal getting 4 years, $16 million brings a lot more cost certainty for us...something Shero has been great at...

Crosby $8.7
Malkin $8.7
Staal ($4)
Dupuis ($1.4)
Cooke ($1.2)
Talbot (~$1?)
Godard ($750K)
Kennedy (I forget, but less than a mil)

That's ~$26.5 million in forwards for next year, and we need to fill some top spots...might be a prospect or two that slips into the lineup as well...

Gonchar ($5) Whitney ($4)
Orpik ($3.75) Eaton ($2)
Letang ($835K) Goligoski (RFA)

~$15.6 million in defense + Goligoski and we'll probably re-sign Scuderi for less than a mil...

Fleury ($5)
Anyone but Sabourin (~$750K)

$5.75 in goalies...

So, that puts us at, what, $50 million, $51 million...assuming the Upper Limit remains virtually stagnant ($56.7 million) that leaves us some breathing room for a couple decent forwards, maybe a guy like Caputi or Pesonen can step up next year...I'm not really concerned, better than Staal being exposed for a potential offer sheet...
Hope this helps. From Mike Farkas.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:32 AM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVPens View Post
Yeah, not bad at all.

Staal looks lost for parts of this season, but then again, so does everyone else on the team.

But I predict there will be just as much retarded *****ing about this as there was with every other extension the Pens have signed in the last few years. Jordan Staal is the new Rob Scuderi, with regards to his contract.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

Crosby-8.7
Malkin-8.7
Staal-4
Talbot-1.05
Cooke-1.2
Kennedy-.725 (estimate)
Godard-.75
Gonchar-5
Whitney-4
Letang-.835
Orpik-3.75
Eaton-2
Fleury-5

Total: $47.11M

Dupuis-Crosby-Kennedy
XXX-Malkin-XXX
Cooke-Staal-Talbot
XXX-XXX-Godard

Gonchar-Letang
Whitney-Orpik
Eaton-Goligoski (RFA)

Fleury
XXXX

Edit: someone beat me to it

Silas Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:33 AM
pensown

Not what you were asking for...but

8.7 Crosby
8.7 Malkin
5 Gonchar
5 Fleury
4 Whitney
4 Staal
3.75 orpik
1.05 Talbot
.835 Letang
1.2 Cooke
1.4 Dupuis
2 Eaton
.75 Godard
.7 Kennedy

Thats with

x Crosby x
x Malkin x
cooke staal kennedy
dupuis talbot godard

gonch orpik
whitney letang
eaton x

Fleury
x

Not counting GOGO RFA.

8-9 million for 6 players.

pensown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:34 AM
necessaryroughness

Not very thrilled about this but I pray he proves me wrong and atleast seems to be worth it.

I have to say I am quite surprised by this signing though....I didn't think he'd sign to be a 3rd line center and with all the problems with MT....maybe it ain't all that bad.

So should we start a trade Ryan Whitney thread? we need to trade someone to get a freakin winger....I hope Shero has a plan....this isn't gonna work out with the same crew that we have.

necessaryroughness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:36 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
So technically it's a 1.8M dollar raise. You can't pay him less than he would've been making

I just don't understand the route Shero tried to go here... but maybe we'll see his full plan in the near future. Paying 3 Centers is just not likely when it's obvious we need some wingers.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
necessaryroughness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
If Staal performs, it's a bargain.

If Staal continues the way hes been playin, then our chances of a cup in the next 4 years are toast
Did you think his rookie year was worth a 4mill/yr contract.....come on...he has never performed upto his level....this contract is still based on potential....hopefully he becomes more consistent.....but its iffy.

Old
Til the End of Time

I just don't see the upside to Staal's game to justify this contract.

He's good, not great, defensively, and he has very little offensive talent. He rarely creates anything for himself.

Chris Gratton part two.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Also, I would be downright shocked if the Pens didn't move some of their spare parts this off-season. There's been too much movement up and down from WB/S, and they've picked up way too many duplicates of players already under contract.

I would hope that the front office has been trying to figure out who exactly is expendable these days, who has value, and who projects into the lineup next season. Staal was the last real wild card on the team, and now, for better or worse, that question of what he's actually worth has been settled.

And frankly, considering Staal's making Jeff Finger money, it's not been a terrible signing, especially since Staal's cap hit was already well over 2 million with the rookie max + bonuses.

Old
01-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Snooki Stackhouse

I dislike those terms. $4 million a year? For a third liner who hasn't even been good enough in that role this year?

Snooki Stackhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

This is smart investment.

Wow. Crosby, Malkin, and Staal. That could be the greatest center ice corps ever! And, I'm a guy who routinely got to watch Trottier- B. Sutter - Goring in their primes.

01-08-2009, 11:39 AM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
I just don't see the upside to Staal's game to justify this contract.
It certainly enhances his trade value, considering what he could have gotten from an offer sheet. That alone could be worth it.

And let's not forget that Staal's hit as it stands today is already at 2.2 million.

Old
01-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

Eaton and Dupuis have got to go this offseason IMO.

replace Eaton with either Lovejoy, or re-sign Scuds, and replace Dupuis with Jeffrey.

Also, I want them to re-sign Zigomanis.

Silas Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
I dislike those terms. $4 million a year? For a third liner who hasn't even been good enough in that role this year?
Who on this team has been worth any amount of money they're making besides Matt Cooke this season?

Old
necessaryroughness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownExile View Post
Also, I would be downright shocked if the Pens didn't move some of their spare parts this off-season. There's been too much movement up and down from WB/S, and they've picked up way too many duplicates of players already under contract.

I would hope that the front office has been trying to figure out who exactly is expendable these days, who has value, and who projects into the lineup next season. Staal was the last real wild card on the team, and now, for better or worse, that question of what he's actually worth has been settled.

And frankly, considering Staal's making Jeff Finger money, it's not been a terrible signing, especially since Staal's cap hit was already well over 2 million with the rookie max + bonuses.
It's not a terrible signing for people that wanted to keep him....but for people that wanted him dealt it's definitly pretty bad.....I wish I was thrilled at all about this signing but it's just never gonna happen unless he improves bigtime.

Old
pensown

We will have 7.5-8.5million(depending on cap, Im leaving a half million for 7th dman,injures, etc.) for 6 players

Gogo or 6th dman,Back up goalie, 4 Wingers

or

Gogo or 6th Dman, Back up goalie, 3 wingers, 1 3rd line center.

wow. seriously that sounds like: gogo, curry, sykora, ahlers. IMO, a worse team next year than we have this year.

Old
01-08-2009, 11:41 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
He was making 2.2M this year. The first 2 years are cap hits of 3.5 so if we trade him after that some other team has to pay 4.5

I don't know though.. this is going to be one of those "We'll have to see" to grade the final product.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Soundwave

Well you do I have to give Shero props, he did get Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Whitney, and Staal all signed to extensions after all.

Problem is there's not a whole lot of cap room left over for much else.

A salary cap simply doesn't help teams that have a ton of talent. You can resign the core like Tampa Bay did, but then run out of money to build a supporting cast.

Detroit has been able to buck the trend by spending virtually nothing on their goaltending and being able to ride some bargain contracts (Zetterberg), but even that luxury is soon coming to an end as Zetterberg will get paid a lot next year, so will Franzen.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:42 AM
necessaryroughness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownExile View Post
It certainly enhances his trade value, considering what he could have gotten from an offer sheet. That alone could be worth it.

And let's not forget that Staal's hit as it stands today is already at 2.2 million.
you never know maybe he wouldn't have gotten 4 mill....if he was unrestricted i'd agree with you but I still seriously doubt teams would have given him 5-6 mill if he plays the way he has this season...especially in this economy....and with the draft picks he'd cost.

Old
01-08-2009, 11:43 AM
JTG

I think people are seeing too short term with this. I believe that with the number he's at, it increases his value.

Did I want to see 3-500k less? Sure, but I think this is more of a situation of Staal growing into his salary. It's the new NHL. You have to pay your stars before they necessarily earn it. I think this will prove to be another excellent deal struck by Shero and crew.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
pensown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
He was making 2.2M this year. The first 2 years are cap hits of 3.5 so if we trade him after that some other team has to pay 4.5

I don't know though.. this is going to be one of those "We'll have to see" to grade the final product.

No, his CAP hit was 2.2. He was making 850,000. The 2.2 comes from speculation that as being a number 2 overall pick that he will preform at 2.2.

Old
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Well you do have to admit Shero did get Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Whitney, and Staal all signed to extensions after all.

Problem is there's not a whole lot of cap room left over for much else.

A salary cap simply doesn't help teams that have a ton of talent. You can resign the core like Tampa Bay did, but then run out of money to build a supporting cast.
With talent like that, there shouldn't be a need for anything exorbitant, but with the way they're playing this year, it's kind of scary.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:45 AM
DJ Spinoza

In the long run I think this will end up as a bargain. Given the rate in the offseason for contracts, it doesn't seem like much of an overpayment right now. It's certainly based on projection, but what contract isn't?

I do not think he should be moved to wing and I do not buy the excuse that a top flight winger is a huge lack on this team. They are good enough to be among the top 4 or 5 teams in the East right now. What the team needs to do is, quite simply, get its **** together. It's not Satan's fault, it's not Staal's, or Whitney's, or Scuderi's, or ... . If there needs to be a coaching change then the management should stop sitting on a change. In a few weeks, obviously, we enter the most critical time of the season.

Having three centers down the middle as strong as the Penguins do, we have an envious core. We are lucky to have it, and if you can remove yourself from the sucky play of the last month, I hope you can see this. I do think we need a better winger for Crosby's wing, but not something extreme. We basically need someone to be Crosby's Sykora; I'm confident that Kennedy or Talbot can be a sufficient Fedotenko on that line. We still have some holes to fill, obviously with UFAs leaving etc, but I'll leave it at that, because this thread is about Staal.

If nothing else, I like to see Shero following his word about identifying the core and going with it. Both the Whitney and Orpik deals seemed a little bit bold to me when they were signed - just like this one - but it's been pretty clear all along that Shero considers Staal a core part of the team. Players like Malone, Ruutu and Laraque were not.

DJ Spinoza is offline   Reply With Quote