HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Staal signs 4 year deal

Old
01-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Riggs
Kaptain

vCash: 500
I don't like it.

I hope for a sign and trade...or a trade up at the draft.

Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 12:08 PM
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor

Moving away from supermodels sexually servicing the Pittsburgh metropolitan area...

I wonder if this signing is a catalyst for another trade soon? Not Staal, really, but now that the front office has ironclad numbers for Staal for the next 4 years, they know exactly how much they're paying for the core, and thus, have a much better idea of who they can afford to bring in.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Goalie_Bob
1992 Vezina (2nd)

Right now, it's too much. But in the future it could be a steal.

I still don't know how they are going to fill out the rest of the roster though. Looks like AHL and Rookie fodder for the wings for years to come. Especially with the way the economy is and will be.

Goalie_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 12:09 PM
ej_pens

Send a message via AIM to ej_pens
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
He was making 2.2M this year. The first 2 years are cap hits of 3.5 so if we trade him after that some other team has to pay 4.5.
The cap hit is the average of the 4 years, so his cap hit will be 4M throughout the life of the contract.

ej_pens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 12:11 PM
ej_pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
The key is does this contract include a no movement clause.
You can only give a no-move clause to a player that is an UFA or a player that will hit UFA status during the length of the contract. Even then, the no-move clause can only be valid during the time when he would have been a UFA.

Old
01-08-2009, 12:13 PM
tooocoool

wow so far this season I dont see why he is worth 4M/year. I'd rather trade him for quality winger than having an expensive 3rd line center.
Still, I hope I am wrong.

tooocoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 12:14 PM
WVP

You know, 95% of roster projections these days have Caputi next to Malkin. Most are putting A LOT of faith in this guy (at least on HF), but his development could be a major factor in our success.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Manbearpig48

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
So I guess we aren't trading him.
Not necessarily... I think this makes him even more tradeable now that he is locked into a (hopefully) reasonable contract

Manbearpig48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 12:16 PM
trader997

every players on this team is taking a discount and we sign this useless slowass no effort player for 4M/year...this is ridiculous. Now, how much will Sykora want next year...

trader997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 12:16 PM
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVPens View Post
You know, 95% of roster projections these days have Caputi next to Malkin. Most are putting A LOT of faith in this guy (at least on HF), but his development could be a major factor in our success.
There are ways to compensate for that much money up the middle, and that's certainly one of them.

And again, it's not like we're stuck with Staal for four-years, no trade. I can't see how this would hurt his trade value at all, so even in the short term, it could be a good thing.

Teams like paying for certainty in a cap world.

Old
01-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Being Gene Malkovich

Quote:
I've penciled him in on Malkin's wing just because that is where I project him down the line... that being said, Staal has a better chance (about 1000x better) of playing in that spot with Caputi on the 3rd line with Talbot and Cooke.

Being Gene Malkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 12:19 PM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownExile View Post
There are ways to compensate for that much money up the middle, and that's certainly one of them.

And again, it's not like we're stuck with Staal for four-years, no trade. I can't see how this would hurt his trade value at all, so even in the short term, it could be a good thing.

Teams like paying for certainty in a cap world.
I'm not too worried about this signing nor the rest of our core being locked up. I mean, they're great players. Fleury still scares me but I think Staal has proved his value in the playoffs with two excellent performances.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Being Gene Malkovich

Quote:
Originally Posted by trader997 View Post
every players on this team is taking a discount and we sign this useless slowass no effort player for 4M/year...this is ridiculous. Now, how much will Sykora want next year...
Sykora is 12 years older. Yes, this deal is all about potential.

If Sykora wants more than he is making this year, he can go somewhere else. He just won't have Malkin feeding him passes anymore.

Old
01-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

I'm personally not going to worry about the cap and such anymore.

Looking down the road...the NHLPA can re-open the CBA for negotiations this Sept....

If the cap does go down, I'm willing to bet Kelly perhaps exercises that option.

There may not even be a cap in place by the time this contract is up... or there may be new provisions that allow cap relief for teams who sign their home grown talent.

There is no way to know right now if this is a good or bad move, so why worry about it?

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Being Gene Malkovich

As for Kassian, admittedly I do not know much about prospects from the junior, Euro and NCAA leagues, but his size and scoring touch seems to be something that could fit very nicely on this team. His cap hit won't be that big (I've seen him projected at 14th in a recent mock draft, 1 spot higher than the Pens, who are projected to draft a center, sigh) which will work for the cap the next 3 years.

Old
01-08-2009, 12:24 PM
ej_pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly> View Post

There is no way to know right now if this is a good or bad move, so why worry about it?
What would people talk about here if they couldn't worry about something?

Old
01-08-2009, 12:25 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Lounge Hero

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
I 100% agree with you and will take that one step further: One of our young wingers in WBS is going to have to step up and actually be able to score on a consistent basis. I like that they come up and play the 4th line well... but at least one of them is going to have to be something in the NHL. It can't all be on Shero's hands to win us a Cup. We need some unexpected help.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 12:27 PM
rk50

It amazes me how much a players second contract has changed since the new CBA. What would Staal have gotten back in 2001?

I'm not a big fan of this deal. Doesn't hurt to lock him up since he has potential, but I would have preferred to spend 4 mil on a winger for the top 2 lines than on a 3rd line center.

rk50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 12:30 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Lounge Hero

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
I'm personally not going to worry about the cap and such anymore.

Looking down the road...the NHLPA can re-open the CBA for negotiations this Sept....

If the cap does go down, I'm willing to bet Kelly perhaps exercises that option.

There may not even be a cap in place by the time this contract is up... or there may be new provisions that allow cap relief for teams who sign their home grown talent.

This is for another discussion down the line... but if the NHL even THINKS about getting rid of the CBA... they are ********.

This game is growing and growing on the fans and the NHL had to work really hard to get them back. This league was a couple steps away from folding. You really think they'd test that water????

We have great young phenoms, we have parity, we have a huge fan hit w/ the Winter Classic, the Skills competition, & hell people are buying into the playoffs again. This game is growing.. why try to ruin that?

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Potenza

I think it's to much $$ tied up into the center position, it's not going to allow the rest of the roster to be filled with players of much quality. To keep our 3 centers it will mean ahlers & retreads at the wings. Not the best recipe for success The cupboard is bare at the moment & the Pens have never been known as great drafters, top 5 picks aside. Hopefully 1 of the centers gets traded in the next year or so to fill needs the team has.

Potenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej_pens View Post
What would people talk about here if they couldn't worry about something?
Admittedly, it is tough to watch Crosby and to a lesser extent Malkin, skate with so many scrubs/leetches.

I wanted them to move Staal for a good young winger, but since Shero and the org. decided to lock him up, then I'm ok with that.

We don't know what the future holds.. a lot of ppl. laughed at the Flyers when they locked up Carter and Richards... now those moves look golden.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 12:32 PM
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor

Quote:
We don't know what the future holds.. a lot of ppl. laughed at the Flyers when they locked up Carter and Richards... now those moves look golden.
Exactly.

Old
01-08-2009, 12:32 PM
trader997

after the first season, there's nothing justifying 4M a year. He's one of the most overrated players in the game, he's got 0 offensive skills, he's never using his big body in front of the net or in the corners, he's lazy and has no speed...this guy is usefull on pk only, there's other players that could fill his role....this is a big joke!

trader997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Being Gene Malkovich

We could still trade our 1st, Goligoski and dead weight for Kovalchuk, .

Gonchar to SJ? hahaha

Old
01-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

Okay, here's something I don't understand... if 85% of the people I've seen evaluate Staal's play call him overrated, and the other 15% are just claiming that he's very good in a shutdown role, with great potential, who are the people doing the overrating?

Silas Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote