HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

All Star Game: No Backstrom...Green

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-08-2009, 12:59 PM
  #26
Devil Dancer
Registered User
 
Devil Dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 11,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
I think Backstrom was the least likely of the group given the way these teams are named with the NHL wanting representation from a lot of the League, esp. since they can get away with naming him to the youngstars game (again).
Considering what he has accomplished already, that would be pretty insulting IMO.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 01:49 PM
  #27
sikosmurf
Registered User
 
sikosmurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
All stars?

F that.

OT: My friend and I got in a discussion the other week about who, if anyone, you would be totally starstruck by. I couldn't think of anyone at all, I guess just because I don't have that kind of personality. Then I just realized that should I be within arms reach of The Cup, especially if won by the capitals, I would be totally starstruck in awe.

Back to the topic: Yeah, it kinda sucks green isn't getting recognized, but of all people, he could use the rest. Also, backs will get in the young game, which is probably better for his exposure anyway: Unnoticed 4th line on the all star team, or making himself a presence in the young game?

And furthermore, I'll take Backs/Green getting cheated out of a pointless All-Star game by some dick head fans any day rather than be screwed out of 2 points by a bad call from a ref.

EDIT: Back off-topic - What happens when they run out of room for engravings on the cup? I'm picturing like a little kid where they start writing in a box huge, then realize they're going to run out of room, so the writing gets smaller and smaller until it's totally illegible :-D

sikosmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 01:52 PM
  #28
mrwarden
Nothing Witty
 
mrwarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 8,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikosmurf View Post
OT: My friend and I got in a discussion the other week about who, if anyone, you would be totally starstruck by. I couldn't think of anyone at all, I guess just because I don't have that kind of personality. Then I just realized that should I be within arms reach of The Cup, especially if won by the capitals, I would be totally starstruck in awe.

Back to the topic: Yeah, it kinda sucks green isn't getting recognized, but of all people, he could use the rest. Also, backs will get in the young game, which is probably better for his exposure anyway: Unnoticed 4th line on the all star team, or making himself a presence in the young game?

And furthermore, I'll take Backs/Green getting cheated out of a pointless All-Star game by some dick head fans any day rather than be screwed out of 2 points by a bad call from a ref.

EDIT: Back off-topic - What happens when they run out of room for engravings on the cup? I'm picturing like a little kid where they start writing in a box huge, then realize they're going to run out of room, so the writing gets smaller and smaller until it's totally illegible :-D
They take a ring off and put a blank one on.

__________________
mrwarden is in ur threads, deleting ur posts
mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 01:54 PM
  #29
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry
 
stanleycaps98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chocolate City
Posts: 3,431
vCash: 500
Wikipedia:

Since 1958, the Cup has undergone several minor alterations. The original collar and bowl were too brittle, and were replaced in 1963 and 1969, respectively. The modern one-piece Cup design was introduced in 1958, when the old barrel was replaced with a five-band barrel, each of which could contain 13 winning teams. Although the bands were originally designed to fill up during the Cup's centennial year, the names of the 1965 Montreal Canadiens were engraved over a larger area than allotted and thus there are 12 teams on that band instead of 13. When the bands were all filled in 1991, the top band of the large barrel was preserved in the Hockey Hall of Fame, and a new blank band was added to the bottom so the Stanley Cup would not grow further.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 02:01 PM
  #30
sikosmurf
Registered User
 
sikosmurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 View Post
Wikipedia:

Since 1958, the Cup has undergone several minor alterations. The original collar and bowl were too brittle, and were replaced in 1963 and 1969, respectively. The modern one-piece Cup design was introduced in 1958, when the old barrel was replaced with a five-band barrel, each of which could contain 13 winning teams. Although the bands were originally designed to fill up during the Cup's centennial year, the names of the 1965 Montreal Canadiens were engraved over a larger area than allotted and thus there are 12 teams on that band instead of 13. When the bands were all filled in 1991, the top band of the large barrel was preserved in the Hockey Hall of Fame, and a new blank band was added to the bottom so the Stanley Cup would not grow further.
Ahh, thanks. Wikipedia'd

sikosmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 02:07 PM
  #31
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,606
vCash: 500
Had Semin and Green stayed healthy, they probably would have made the team. Backstrom got screwed by the Staal pick, but he'll get his chances. That slow start to the season probably cost him an allstar spot. Fine by me, less bargaining chips come contract time.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 02:16 PM
  #32
Whopper88
Registered User
 
Whopper88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 509
vCash: 500
This is my favorite picture of Alyssa Milano


Whopper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 03:00 PM
  #33
bishop12
Ovyously
 
bishop12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,550
vCash: 500
********...Staal? Modano? ****ing hell....

when i was a kid the All-Star game was a hoot to watch,. now it's so spread out it's dumb.

How the hell did the Ducks, who are regularly featured on the back pages of the Orange Country Registrar, muster enough votes to get Giguere into the starting lineup? Shockin.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 03:01 PM
  #34
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 4,852
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
I touched the cup in Columbus...



Well more brushed it on accident then anything, they give you a number/website to find your picture online and i put it on the table behind the cup so I could take the picture and i wasn't looking where I was reaching when I went to pick it back up and felt some metal...felt all tingly inside

My cousin (Flyers fan) directly touched it...

The jackets shut them both out 3-0 at home. I can take the blame for sure on that one.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 03:22 PM
  #35
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
********...Staal? Modano? ****ing hell....

when i was a kid the All-Star game was a hoot to watch,. now it's so spread out it's dumb.

How the hell did the Ducks, who are regularly featured on the back pages of the Orange Country Registrar, muster enough votes to get Giguere into the starting lineup? Shockin.
I liked the rule before when we sucked and we got 1 participant, but now that we have a handful who deserve consideration, it's a little tough to swallow.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 03:23 PM
  #36
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whopper88 View Post
This is my favorite picture of Alyssa Milano

Funny, my favorite is her naked, with a Caps tramp stamp. Oh wait, that's a mental image.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 03:24 PM
  #37
Whopper88
Registered User
 
Whopper88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 509
vCash: 500
Does this mean the Backstrom will play in the Young guns game? Rookies vs Sophmores.

Whopper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 03:37 PM
  #38
Backstrom #19
Fire them all
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,180
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whopper88 View Post
Does this mean the Backstrom will play in the Young guns game? Rookies vs Sophmores.
I want him to decline the young guns game. It was a joke last year, and there's no reason for him to waste his time.

What would the NHL do if Ovechkin and Boudreau declined and didn't go to Montreal?

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 03:55 PM
  #39
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
I want him to decline the young guns game. It was a joke last year, and there's no reason for him to waste his time.

What would the NHL do if Ovechkin and Boudreau declined and didn't go to Montreal?
I thought the same thing, but imagine how much fun he would have partying with AO. He should go IMO.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 04:01 PM
  #40
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,802
vCash: 500
The allstar game is a weekend away from hockey. call it wive maintanance. I won't be watching and I really don't care who plays in it.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 04:38 PM
  #41
LSF76
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 442
vCash: 500
I don't understand why every team is represented. It's dumb in baseball, it's dumb in hockey, and they don't do it in football even though the teams are much bigger.

LSF76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 06:02 PM
  #42
binary0x01
Registered User
 
binary0x01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 436
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to binary0x01 Send a message via Yahoo to binary0x01
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2010 View Post
Funny, my favorite is her naked, with a Caps tramp stamp. Oh wait, that's a mental image.
Her body ain't that hot. But regardless I must admit I wouldn't toss that out of bed, that's for certain.

binary0x01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 06:22 PM
  #43
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,279
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by binary0x01 View Post
Her body ain't that hot. But regardless I must admit I wouldn't toss that out of bed, that's for certain.
Ok step up to the plate, who would you rather see at the all star festivities?

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 07:16 PM
  #44
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by binary0x01 View Post
Her body ain't that hot. But regardless I must admit I wouldn't toss that out of bed, that's for certain.
She's not a favorite of mine, but she's not bad at all.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 10:56 PM
  #45
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,801
vCash: 500
There are always several players on the initial all star roster who don't go. Some due to injury, some because they "need to spend the time with their families." If Kovalev and Komisarek have any self-respect, they'll decline to go.

Green and Elias are the two guys who got snubbed due to the idiotic ballot stuffing by Montreal, and they'll probably be the first dman and forward to take the place of any named players who don't go.

Backstrom's omission is due to the rule that every team needs to be represented on the initial all-star roster. They throw that rule out the window when it comes to injury subs, so Backstrom still has a shot if enough forwards can't or won't play in the game.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:26 AM
  #46
CapsWolverinesUSA
Registered User
 
CapsWolverinesUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
There are always several players on the initial all star roster who don't go. Some due to injury, some because they "need to spend the time with their families." If Kovalev and Komisarek have any self-respect, they'll decline to go.

Green and Elias are the two guys who got snubbed due to the idiotic ballot stuffing by Montreal, and they'll probably be the first dman and forward to take the place of any named players who don't go.

Backstrom's omission is due to the rule that every team needs to be represented on the initial all-star roster. They throw that rule out the window when it comes to injury subs, so Backstrom still has a shot if enough forwards can't or won't play in the game.
I agree that Elias is the first forward to be named as a replacement. After him, it's a three way battle between Richards, Kessel and Backstrom.

Green is pretty clearly the #1 defensemen. Perhaps Wideman or Timonen is next after him.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:36 AM
  #47
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 10,630
vCash: 500
Ranger fan coming in peace.

**** the NHL and all of the *** backwards decisions it makes. Anyone who really loves the sport of hockey should be dying to see Green rush the puck up with impunity. I'm really not sure what Komisarek is gonna do that's very exciting in the relatively low contact ASG.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 07:39 AM
  #48
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by binary0x01 View Post
Her body ain't that hot. But regardless I must admit I wouldn't toss that out of bed, that's for certain.
"...toss that.."???

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 07:44 AM
  #49
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Ranger fan coming in peace.

**** the NHL and all of the *** backwards decisions it makes. Anyone who really loves the sport of hockey should be dying to see Green rush the puck up with impunity. I'm really not sure what Komisarek is gonna do that's very exciting in the relatively low contact ASG.
See the thread on the main board about rank the d. Its far from a consensus that Green is highly thought of.

Further Komisarek is far more deserving than Kovalev. Green will get his allstar games in time.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 07:46 AM
  #50
Foy
Registered User
 
Foy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 20,950
vCash: 500
I don't understand people that thought Backstrom would make it. I knew that one of Elias or Parise wouldn't make it, and they both have more points than Niki. I'm not shocked that Green didn't make it, but thought he had a chance. The All-Star game always features veterans making it over younger guys whenever there is a choice, so why are people surprised that Chara made it over Green or Wideman?

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.