HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

All Star Game: No Backstrom...Green

Old
01-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Devil Dancer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
I think Backstrom was the least likely of the group given the way these teams are named with the NHL wanting representation from a lot of the League, esp. since they can get away with naming him to the youngstars game (again).
Considering what he has accomplished already, that would be pretty insulting IMO.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 01:49 PM
sikosmurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
All stars?

F that.

OT: My friend and I got in a discussion the other week about who, if anyone, you would be totally starstruck by. I couldn't think of anyone at all, I guess just because I don't have that kind of personality. Then I just realized that should I be within arms reach of The Cup, especially if won by the capitals, I would be totally starstruck in awe.

Back to the topic: Yeah, it kinda sucks green isn't getting recognized, but of all people, he could use the rest. Also, backs will get in the young game, which is probably better for his exposure anyway: Unnoticed 4th line on the all star team, or making himself a presence in the young game?

And furthermore, I'll take Backs/Green getting cheated out of a pointless All-Star game by some dick head fans any day rather than be screwed out of 2 points by a bad call from a ref.

EDIT: Back off-topic - What happens when they run out of room for engravings on the cup? I'm picturing like a little kid where they start writing in a box huge, then realize they're going to run out of room, so the writing gets smaller and smaller until it's totally illegible :-D

sikosmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 01:52 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikosmurf View Post
OT: My friend and I got in a discussion the other week about who, if anyone, you would be totally starstruck by. I couldn't think of anyone at all, I guess just because I don't have that kind of personality. Then I just realized that should I be within arms reach of The Cup, especially if won by the capitals, I would be totally starstruck in awe.

Back to the topic: Yeah, it kinda sucks green isn't getting recognized, but of all people, he could use the rest. Also, backs will get in the young game, which is probably better for his exposure anyway: Unnoticed 4th line on the all star team, or making himself a presence in the young game?

And furthermore, I'll take Backs/Green getting cheated out of a pointless All-Star game by some dick head fans any day rather than be screwed out of 2 points by a bad call from a ref.

EDIT: Back off-topic - What happens when they run out of room for engravings on the cup? I'm picturing like a little kid where they start writing in a box huge, then realize they're going to run out of room, so the writing gets smaller and smaller until it's totally illegible :-D
They take a ring off and put a blank one on.

01-08-2009, 01:54 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Wikipedia:

Since 1958, the Cup has undergone several minor alterations. The original collar and bowl were too brittle, and were replaced in 1963 and 1969, respectively. The modern one-piece Cup design was introduced in 1958, when the old barrel was replaced with a five-band barrel, each of which could contain 13 winning teams. Although the bands were originally designed to fill up during the Cup's centennial year, the names of the 1965 Montreal Canadiens were engraved over a larger area than allotted and thus there are 12 teams on that band instead of 13. When the bands were all filled in 1991, the top band of the large barrel was preserved in the Hockey Hall of Fame, and a new blank band was added to the bottom so the Stanley Cup would not grow further.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 02:01 PM
sikosmurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 View Post
Wikipedia:

Since 1958, the Cup has undergone several minor alterations. The original collar and bowl were too brittle, and were replaced in 1963 and 1969, respectively. The modern one-piece Cup design was introduced in 1958, when the old barrel was replaced with a five-band barrel, each of which could contain 13 winning teams. Although the bands were originally designed to fill up during the Cup's centennial year, the names of the 1965 Montreal Canadiens were engraved over a larger area than allotted and thus there are 12 teams on that band instead of 13. When the bands were all filled in 1991, the top band of the large barrel was preserved in the Hockey Hall of Fame, and a new blank band was added to the bottom so the Stanley Cup would not grow further.
Ahh, thanks. Wikipedia'd

sikosmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 02:07 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Had Semin and Green stayed healthy, they probably would have made the team. Backstrom got screwed by the Staal pick, but he'll get his chances. That slow start to the season probably cost him an allstar spot. Fine by me, less bargaining chips come contract time.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Whopper88

This is my favorite picture of Alyssa Milano

Whopper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 03:00 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

********...Staal? Modano? ****ing hell....

when i was a kid the All-Star game was a hoot to watch,. now it's so spread out it's dumb.

How the hell did the Ducks, who are regularly featured on the back pages of the Orange Country Registrar, muster enough votes to get Giguere into the starting lineup? Shockin.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 03:01 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
I touched the cup in Columbus...

Well more brushed it on accident then anything, they give you a number/website to find your picture online and i put it on the table behind the cup so I could take the picture and i wasn't looking where I was reaching when I went to pick it back up and felt some metal...felt all tingly inside

My cousin (Flyers fan) directly touched it...

The jackets shut them both out 3-0 at home. I can take the blame for sure on that one.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 03:22 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
********...Staal? Modano? ****ing hell....

when i was a kid the All-Star game was a hoot to watch,. now it's so spread out it's dumb.

How the hell did the Ducks, who are regularly featured on the back pages of the Orange Country Registrar, muster enough votes to get Giguere into the starting lineup? Shockin.
I liked the rule before when we sucked and we got 1 participant, but now that we have a handful who deserve consideration, it's a little tough to swallow.

Old
01-08-2009, 03:23 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whopper88 View Post
This is my favorite picture of Alyssa Milano

Funny, my favorite is her naked, with a Caps tramp stamp. Oh wait, that's a mental image.

Old
01-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Whopper88

Does this mean the Backstrom will play in the Young guns game? Rookies vs Sophmores.

Whopper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whopper88 View Post
Does this mean the Backstrom will play in the Young guns game? Rookies vs Sophmores.
I want him to decline the young guns game. It was a joke last year, and there's no reason for him to waste his time.

What would the NHL do if Ovechkin and Boudreau declined and didn't go to Montreal?

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 03:55 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
I want him to decline the young guns game. It was a joke last year, and there's no reason for him to waste his time.

What would the NHL do if Ovechkin and Boudreau declined and didn't go to Montreal?
I thought the same thing, but imagine how much fun he would have partying with AO. He should go IMO.

Old
01-08-2009, 04:01 PM
txpd

The allstar game is a weekend away from hockey. call it wive maintanance. I won't be watching and I really don't care who plays in it.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 04:38 PM
LSF76

I don't understand why every team is represented. It's dumb in baseball, it's dumb in hockey, and they don't do it in football even though the teams are much bigger.

LSF76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 06:02 PM
binary0x01

Send a message via ICQ to binary0x01 Send a message via Yahoo to binary0x01
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2010 View Post
Funny, my favorite is her naked, with a Caps tramp stamp. Oh wait, that's a mental image.
Her body ain't that hot. But regardless I must admit I wouldn't toss that out of bed, that's for certain.

binary0x01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 06:22 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by binary0x01 View Post
Her body ain't that hot. But regardless I must admit I wouldn't toss that out of bed, that's for certain.
Ok step up to the plate, who would you rather see at the all star festivities?

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 07:16 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
She's not a favorite of mine, but she's not bad at all.

Old
01-08-2009, 10:56 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

There are always several players on the initial all star roster who don't go. Some due to injury, some because they "need to spend the time with their families." If Kovalev and Komisarek have any self-respect, they'll decline to go.

Green and Elias are the two guys who got snubbed due to the idiotic ballot stuffing by Montreal, and they'll probably be the first dman and forward to take the place of any named players who don't go.

Backstrom's omission is due to the rule that every team needs to be represented on the initial all-star roster. They throw that rule out the window when it comes to injury subs, so Backstrom still has a shot if enough forwards can't or won't play in the game.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:26 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
There are always several players on the initial all star roster who don't go. Some due to injury, some because they "need to spend the time with their families." If Kovalev and Komisarek have any self-respect, they'll decline to go.

Green and Elias are the two guys who got snubbed due to the idiotic ballot stuffing by Montreal, and they'll probably be the first dman and forward to take the place of any named players who don't go.

Backstrom's omission is due to the rule that every team needs to be represented on the initial all-star roster. They throw that rule out the window when it comes to injury subs, so Backstrom still has a shot if enough forwards can't or won't play in the game.
I agree that Elias is the first forward to be named as a replacement. After him, it's a three way battle between Richards, Kessel and Backstrom.

Green is pretty clearly the #1 defensemen. Perhaps Wideman or Timonen is next after him.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:36 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Ranger fan coming in peace.

**** the NHL and all of the *** backwards decisions it makes. Anyone who really loves the sport of hockey should be dying to see Green rush the puck up with impunity. I'm really not sure what Komisarek is gonna do that's very exciting in the relatively low contact ASG.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 07:39 AM
txpd

Quote:
"...toss that.."???

Old
01-09-2009, 07:44 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Ranger fan coming in peace.

**** the NHL and all of the *** backwards decisions it makes. Anyone who really loves the sport of hockey should be dying to see Green rush the puck up with impunity. I'm really not sure what Komisarek is gonna do that's very exciting in the relatively low contact ASG.
See the thread on the main board about rank the d. Its far from a consensus that Green is highly thought of.

Further Komisarek is far more deserving than Kovalev. Green will get his allstar games in time.

Old
01-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Foy

I don't understand people that thought Backstrom would make it. I knew that one of Elias or Parise wouldn't make it, and they both have more points than Niki. I'm not shocked that Green didn't make it, but thought he had a chance. The All-Star game always features veterans making it over younger guys whenever there is a choice, so why are people surprised that Chara made it over Green or Wideman?

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote