HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

The ignorance of Brind'Amour pre-2006

Old
01-22-2009, 05:36 AM
Padan

vCash: 500
The ignorance of Brind'Amour pre-2006

I was reading through the "NHL Award Voting" and noticed that Rod Brind'Amour only managed to crack top-8 in Selke voting once between 1989-2004.

That is really surprising to me. Brindy averaged about one point per game during the 90's, always used on the penalty-kill and one of the leagues premier face-off men, but still, players like (a young) Marian Hossa and Petr Sykora received more Selke votes.

Why was his defensive game so criminally underrated?

Padan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 06:00 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Because the Flyers/Blues fans on the voting panels aren't homers?

A lot of the low vote getters are just "I couldn't think of anyone else" votes where as smart voters tend to use all their votes wisely.

01-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

The Selke went through a period in the 1990s when it seemed to be awarded to the highest scoring player who would actually backcheck once in a while. Years that Brind'Amour could have won it instead were going to Francis, Fedorov, and Yzerman. Then there were years where it went to the highest-scoring mostly defensive forward (Jere Lehtinen, Mike Peca).

For me, if I'm looking for a modern version of a Carbonneau/Meagher/Gainey type, it's Manny Malhotra. He's a terrific forechecker and backchecker and takes (and wins) most of the vital faceoffs Columbus has. He has a bit of offensive flair, which is really a bonus.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Big Phil

Well to be honest, BrindAmour was only 19 in 1989. He didnt really hit his prime until a few years later. And in the '90s while there were a couple picks like Francis, Gilmour and Fedorov there were also more deserving guys like Peca and Lehtinen. I wouldnt have put BrindAmour ahead of either one of the latter to be honest.

So it's fair to point out that BrindAmour won the award twice when he was going against guys like Mike Fisher and not the previous winners. He was always underatted in Philly though so there could be some merit to that, but he's almost certainly going to lose to another Flyer this year........Mike Richards

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote