HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

just an observation...

Old
01-08-2009, 01:56 PM
djavan

vCash: 500
just an observation...

do you find it ironic - or do any of you feel this way - that the rangers post-lockout have been built to beat the devils?

something that they had done quite well with the playoff success last season and last regular season...

but the game has changed...

and for that matter - at least based on some recent devils games - so has their success over nj

djavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 02:55 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Curious

What indicates that the Rangers are built solely to beat just one team?

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 03:26 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by djavan View Post
do you find it ironic - or do any of you feel this way - that the rangers post-lockout have been built to beat the devils?

something that they had done quite well with the playoff success last season and last regular season...

but the game has changed...

and for that matter - at least based on some recent devils games - so has their success over nj
Not at all. From the very beginning of the post lock out, the primary goal of Sather and Renney was to make the playoffs. Jagr (dam I miss the guy) was the guy whose back we road.
Does everyone know btw, that Jagr holds the record for most goals and points in a single season as a Ranger. I think some fans forget that but I wasn't sure.

In contrast to what you're saying. The Devils beat us four straight when we finally made it back into what Parcells calls, "the tournament."

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Shake and Bake

no..

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Mr Bojanglez

Before anyone denounces that a team would be built to have a competitive advantage over one team.... I'll admit the following.

New Jersey signed taller and bigger free agents as a direct result of Ottawa manhandling them in 2007.

I do agree, I feel that the Rangers are becoming more and more like the Devils. Flame me however much you want for that last comment. But I think part of it is aimed at "beating them at their own game" so to speak.

What is ironic is that the Devils are the more offensive oriented team, and the Rangers rely on their defense. I'm not gonna complain, defense wins games! Just sayin'

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 03:29 PM
gravytrain6t

Also as far as the Devils go. The tides are turning. They have been beating us the past few games. I hate to bring it up again. But if we were the ones, who in fact drafted Parise, I think we still would be owning the Devils.

Old
01-08-2009, 03:36 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyH2O View Post
Before anyone denounces that a team would be built to have a competitive advantage over one team.... I'll admit the following.

New Jersey signed taller and bigger free agents as a direct result of Ottawa manhandling them in 2007.

I do agree, I feel that the Rangers are becoming more and more like the Devils. Flame me however much you want for that last comment. But I think part of it is aimed at "beating them at their own game" so to speak.

What is ironic is that the Devils are the more offensive oriented team, and the Rangers rely on their defense. I'm not gonna complain, defense wins games! Just sayin'
That right there is why the Devils (besides having a good coach in Sutter) have been beating my beloved Rangers the past few games.
That is something the Rangers IMO need to improve on. And that is size.
We lost a ton of that in one player (Jagr). I remember when the Rangers were getting owned in by the Devils in the regular season and I wondered why such a poor team like the Islanders would beat the Devils or at least hang in there with them. The Islander then, had the size, grit, and physical ability to play a full 60 with the Devils.
Just one thing the Islanders were missing though. Skill.

Old
01-08-2009, 03:46 PM
John Torturella

This makes absolutely no sense. Glen Sather drafted Henrik just to beat the Devils? I dont think thats what he had in mind. It just so happens that he has had success against them. Its just the way it is. You really can not say this as it is not based on any fact.

We beat the Devils last year because we were a better team all the way around. This year, not so much. Our defense is arguably worse and our offense is definitely worse. Their offfense is better and they have been playing better hockey.

The recent Devils success against us comes down to special teams. Their powerplay was pretty much a joke last year. We killed their PPs at a very high rate. Now they added Rolston and their PP is much more explosive.

At the same time we lost Jagr and Shanny, 2 under appreciatedly huge parts to our powerplay the past few years. We also lost Straka who was a good powerplay guy.

With our PP easier to defend and theirs harder to defend, adding in our large amount of shorthanded goals, we have a change in the outcomes of Ranger-Devils games.

Just my thoughts.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Fletch

I think that the notion is that if the Rangers can consistently beat the Devils then they likely can win their fair share of games against other teams also.

I think the bottom line is the Rangers coming out of the lockout was built to win games - against anybody. It was put together with many guys who were complementary to each other (hence the heavy Czech presence), aided by a cheap Jagr and some nice, hard-working support guys with a huge surprise in nets. The Devils happen to be one of the teams the Rangers could beat consistently because they've been a decent team.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 04:45 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

maybe the rangers still want revenge for being swept in the playoffs by them. I dont blame then, i still want revenge on them, along with buffalo, even though Dru is here now.

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Mr Bojanglez

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
This makes absolutely no sense. Glen Sather drafted Henrik just to beat the Devils? I dont think thats what he had in mind. It just so happens that he has had success against them. Its just the way it is. You really can not say this as it is not based on any fact.

We beat the Devils last year because we were a better team all the way around. This year, not so much. Our defense is arguably worse and our offense is definitely worse. Their offfense is better and they have been playing better hockey.

The recent Devils success against us comes down to special teams. Their powerplay was pretty much a joke last year. We killed their PPs at a very high rate. Now they added Rolston and their PP is much more explosive.

At the same time we lost Jagr and Shanny, 2 under appreciatedly huge parts to our powerplay the past few years. We also lost Straka who was a good powerplay guy.

With our PP easier to defend and theirs harder to defend, adding in our large amount of shorthanded goals, we have a change in the outcomes of Ranger-Devils games.

Just my thoughts.
I agree with most of this. Except that Rolston has very little to do with the success of the powerplay, as evidenced last night (as well as the success received before he came back)

I always liked straka. He'd be a godsend on your team right now.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Fletch

We didn't lose Straka - he lost himself. He wasn't the same player last season. Further, his PP prowess was mostly dependent on Jagr. Straka was OK on the PP. His real strength was doing anything that utilizes speed. He worked real hard and obviously was real fast.

Old
01-09-2009, 12:25 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
We didn't lose Straka - he lost himself. He wasn't the same player last season. Further, his PP prowess was mostly dependent on Jagr. Straka was OK on the PP. His real strength was doing anything that utilizes speed. He worked real hard and obviously was real fast.
Yeah, it's a real shame he's gone. Always gave 110% and had amazing speed. He would have fit in nicely this season, methinks...

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Fletch

Straka would fit in anywhere because he's versatile. But unfortunately, he's been on the decline and you'd be talking about another left winger who can score 10-15 goals. Nice player, but not really what the Rangers are looking for.

Old
01-09-2009, 01:08 PM
MikeyLikesHockey

haha on Straka.

Sorry to say, but how come all players that come through NY at some point in their career are stated to , "have not had it anymore"

Its not the players people its the coaches and MSG has some of the worst ice in the nhl.

If we can ever unleash the beast and play 50 minutes a game we can win a lot.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote