HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

JJ as an RFA

Old
01-06-2009, 01:40 AM
Knight of the Realm
Heart & Soul

vCash: 500
JJ as an RFA

With all the youthful talent in LA. Doughty, Simmonds, Moller, Hickey, Teubert, Voinov, I have two questions.

Can we afford to sign JJ if he recieves a high offer next summer? UFA defensemen will be pretty scarce.

If he is offerred such a contract, do we take the picks or not?

I like JJ and want him to remain a king for a long time but might another team make a pitch even with all of Lombardi's threats?

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:50 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Like with any RFA, it depends on the team that's making the offer.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:52 AM
William H Bonney

I can't see any team throwing out an offer that the Kings wouldn't match, especially with the cap expected to stay the same or go down.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 08:34 AM
son of earl

Send a message via AIM to son of earl
I don't see JJ getting a huge contract. I wouldn't give him for then 3 mil for 3 years. One ok season and promise doesn't get you a 5 million a year contract with DL. I would take the 4 1st round picks for JJ any day

son of earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I think signing JJ works in favor of the Kings because of his injury. . .I expect a Matt Greene (maybe 500k - 1 Mil more) type contract

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:53 AM
grncobra76

IMO I think JJ will want to go back to his home state, home team.

grncobra76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
I think signing JJ works in favor of the Kings because of his injury. . .I expect a Matt Greene (maybe 500k - 1 Mil more) type contract
I'm betting 1.5 - 2 million.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:10 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface Vimes View Post
I'm betting 1.5 - 2 million.
If he gets more than 2 million a year for his atrocious stats so far in the NHL he should wear a ski mask instead of a helmet. Doughty has proven how far behind the learning curve Jack Johnson was when he came from Michigan. This kid should have spent about 2 full seasons in the minors learning how to play defense instead of whatever they were letting him do at Michigan. I don't know of too many success stories of guys who learned how to play fundamentally sound hockey at the NHL level.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
If he gets more than 2 million a year for his atrocious stats so far in the NHL he should wear a ski mask instead of a helmet. Doughty has proven how far behind the learning curve Jack Johnson was when he came from Michigan. This kid should have spent about 2 full seasons in the minors learning how to play defense instead of whatever they were letting him do at Michigan. I don't know of too many success stories of guys who learned how to play fundamentally sound hockey at the NHL level.
LOL. Shouldn't Matt Greene be getting paid in food stamps then?

Old
01-06-2009, 11:33 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
LOL. Shouldn't Matt Greene be getting paid in food stamps then?
We all knew what Greene was going to do offensively. He's like a Norstrom, rarely plays offense, rarely gets a shot on goal but at his age there aren't many quality stay at home dmen. That's usually a position filled by a rotating market of guys like Ken Klee, Aaron Miller, etc. They break down, Greene should be in his prime. So I can see that amount of money, maybe a little too much. Now if Jack Johnson is a stay at home dman-which is something he has not shown so far-then the Kings don't need him. You already have Greene who has shown he can play defense at the NHL level. Johnson has not. It's clear to me that Johnson was allowed to roam the ice freely at Michigan, getting over on inferior players and now that he is facing teams of guys who are all more skilled than he is he has struggled. No question he is a great skater, he is a good puck handler but I have yet to see any other are of his game that stounds out. If some team signs him to a bloated offer sheet you have to take the picks, you can't pay guys based on highlight reel plays against Ferris State.

Old
01-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grncobra76 View Post
IMO I think JJ will want to go back to his home state, home team.
The Indiana Pacers?

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:39 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
We all knew what Greene was going to do offensively. He's like a Norstrom, rarely plays offense, rarely gets a shot on goal but at his age there aren't many quality stay at home dmen. That's usually a position filled by a rotating market of guys like Ken Klee, Aaron Miller, etc. They break down, Greene should be in his prime. So I can see that amount of money, maybe a little too much. Now if Jack Johnson is a stay at home dman-which is something he has not shown so far-then the Kings don't need him. You already have Greene who has shown he can play defense at the NHL level. Johnson has not. It's clear to me that Johnson was allowed to roam the ice freely at Michigan, getting over on inferior players and now that he is facing teams of guys who are all more skilled than he is he has struggled. No question he is a great skater, he is a good puck handler but I have yet to see any other are of his game that stounds out. If some team signs him to a bloated offer sheet you have to take the picks, you can't pay guys based on highlight reel plays against Ferris State.
I don't see how you can possibly be sober.

Old
01-06-2009, 11:46 AM
not tellin*

wow. i haven't seen the debbie downers in a while. i guess that's a good thing.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
He is going to be getting something around $2-3.5 million a season throughout his contract. Probably start out in the twos and come out of the contract in the 3's for a term of 3-4 years.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 02:00 PM
dabeechman

You can't get down on JJ because of his play. It is obvious by the way the team is playing this year versus last year that MC didn't have a solid defensive game plan and Murray is (so far) a much better coach.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 02:32 PM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

JJ is a bust. Trade him for a pick.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by son of earl View Post
I don't see JJ getting a huge contract. I wouldn't give him for then 3 mil for 3 years. One ok season and promise doesn't get you a 5 million a year contract with DL. I would take the 4 1st round picks for JJ any day
agree with this 100%.

From what he's shown so far, JJ is an adequate defenseman, nothing more, nothing less. He's not a game-changing player (yet), either on defense or offense.

Doughty has shown much more to be a player worth keeping - at (almost) all costs.

I would be VERY surprised if another team threw huge money at JJ - and right now, I would take the picks.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
agree with this 100%.

From what he's shown so far, JJ is an adequate defenseman, nothing more, nothing less. He's not a game-changing player (yet), either on defense or offense.

Doughty has shown much more to be a player worth keeping - at (almost) all costs.

I would be VERY surprised if another team threw huge money at JJ - and right now, I would take the picks.
I disagree. Until we see Johnson out there with the leash off for a whole season I reserve judgement on such a player. We all know his situation last season, and he was one of the best defensemen on just about the worst team in the NHL... The scouting report on the kid was not BS, he can skate and his stick handling, playmaking, and flash/flair are all up there. He just has not had the opportunity and is taking longer to develop. Granted, I would consider four freaking first rounders for nearly any player on the team except Kopitar, Brown, and Doughty, and would probably do it for Johnson, but anything short of that and I sign him. People are just high on Doughty right now, you can't overlook our other blue chip prospect...

Old
01-06-2009, 03:18 PM
KingsRule

Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I disagree. Until we see Johnson out there with the leash off for a whole season I reserve judgement on such a player. We all know his situation last season, and he was one of the best defensemen on just about the worst team in the NHL... The scouting report on the kid was not BS, he can skate and his stick handling, playmaking, and flash/flair are all up there. He just has not had the opportunity and is taking longer to develop. Granted, I would consider four freaking first rounds for nearly any player, and would probably do it for Johnson, but anything short of that and I sign him. People are just high on Doughty right now, you can't overlook our other blue chip prospect...
I wouldnt say he was the best last year.... he got smoked regularly

KingsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 03:21 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsRule View Post
I wouldnt say he was the best last year.... he got smoked regularly
Thats why I said "one of the best" because I agree, he had lapses. Doughty has been smoked quite a few times too though not as much. All I am asking is why are people throwing in the towel just because he takes longer to develop than Doughty?

Old
01-06-2009, 03:23 PM
KingsRule

Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
Quote:
Thats why I said "one of the best" because I agree, he had lapses. Doughty has been smoked quite a few times too though not as much. All I am asking is why are people throwing in the towel just because he takes longer to develop than Doughty?
I agree with your main point, We havent seen what jmfj can really do, id rather keep him so he can start rippin it up as long as he stays healthy

KingsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 03:39 PM
DeeMeck

Doughty has made more glaring mistakes as a rookie than Johnson did. Johnson was a rookie and deserves a break from the naysayers.

I'm not harping on Doughty or anything, but the odds of a 2 on 1 against are really high when he is out there...and they are usually caused by him misplaying pucks at the point and getting stripped by opposing forwards. He either takes the penalty, or gives up an odd-man rush.

It is all still growing pains...both guys are going to be good for a long time.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 03:39 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Throwing in the towel usually means the player is dumped for nothing. Getting 4 1st rounders is a gigantic return. 4 years, 12 million I can see. His skating ability alone as a defensemen puts him in a different category. But, if a team makes a 4 year, 16 million dollar offer I take the 4 picks. 4 1st rounders can change the fortunes of the Kings for many years down the road. One thing is for certain, when he comes back from inury he has to step up his game otherwise I would not expect a big raise just on potential alone. If he bombs out to end the season I think it puts Lombardi in a real tough position.

Old
01-06-2009, 03:40 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
Doughty has made more glaring mistakes as a rookie than Johnson did. Johnson was a rookie and deserves a break from the naysayers.

I'm not harping on Doughty or anything, but the odds of a 2 on 1 against are really high when he is out there...and they are usually caused by him misplaying pucks at the point and getting stripped by opposing forwards. He either takes the penalty, or gives up an odd-man rush.

It is all still growing pains...both guys are going to be good for a long time.
Doughty always seems to make the right play to me, I guess we're watching different games.

Old
01-06-2009, 03:48 PM
DeeMeck

Quote:
Doughty always seems to make the right play to me, I guess we're watching different games.
He gets caught flat-footed at the point at times. Again, not a knock...he'll get coached up and get his weaknesses fixed.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote