HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Canadian copyright law

Closed Thread

Old
09-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

vCash: 500
The Canadian copyright law

They just couldn't leave it alone, isn't it? I don't see why the government are so eager to allow companies to prosecute his fellow Canadians for doing what the library is piratically doing, which is to share knowledge for free. I think it is unfair that corporations would be allowed to decide what can or cannot flow on the internet, if that is the case then whats the difference than to live in Iran or China? International agreement my ass, there are a lot of agreement that Canada didn't follow, I bet.

http://copyright.econsultation.ca/

Old
09-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
They just couldn't leave it alone, isn't it? I don't see why the government are so eager to allow companies to prosecute his fellow Canadians for doing what the library is piratically doing, which is to share knowledge for free. I think it is unfair that corporations would be allowed to decide what can or cannot flow on the internet, if that is the case then whats the difference than to live in Iran or China? International agreement my ass, there are a lot of agreement that Canada didn't follow, I bet.

http://copyright.econsultation.ca/
This is the chance for Canadians to make their voices heard about how much control you want the government to have (and the music and movie industry). Go to the website noted above and make your voice heard.

Actually we seem to be going down the road of the misguided US Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

Professor Michael Geist has been in the forefront of the opposition through Fair Copyright for Canada.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6315846683

Also see his website:
http://www.michaelgeist.ca/index.php

Many Canadians do not know that peer to peer file sharing of music is legal in Canada.

In December of 2003 the Copyright Board of Canada ruled that downloading songs from a peer-to-peer network for personal use was legal - but did not pronounce upon the issue of uploading.

The Federal Court then weighed in a few months later when Mr. Justice Konrad von Finckenstein (yes that really is his name and he is now head of the CRTC) and expanded the ruling.
http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/fct/doc/...2004fc488.html

Quote:
With respect to downloading, the judge accepted the Copyright Board's early decision almost without comment. But he went further, citing a recent Supreme Court decision to say that making music available online also appeared to be legal.

In that recent case, the Supreme Court ruled that libraries were not "authorizing" copyright infringement simply by putting photocopy machines near books. The libraries were justified in assuming that their customers were using the copiers in a legal manner, the high court ruled.

Finckenstein said the same rationale should apply to peer-to-peer users.

"The mere fact of placing a copy on a shared directory in a computer where that copy can be accessed via a P2P service does not amount to distribution," Finckenstein wrote. "Before it constitutes distribution, there must be a positive act by the owner of the shared directory, such as sending out the copies or advertising that they are available for copying."
http://news.cnet.com/2100-1027_3-5182641.html

The US music industry was unhappy with the decision.

Old
09-08-2009, 05:57 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Great. Personally I hope they change the laws on copyright and make it illegal for people to download. Hell, throw in jail time and massive fines...

It wont stop the illegal downloading, but it will certainly make a massive chunk of Canadians law breakers. The more the government is contra the people, the better chance for real change.

Old
09-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Great. Personally I hope they change the laws on copyright and make it illegal for people to download. Hell, throw in jail time and massive fines...

It wont stop the illegal downloading, but it will certainly make a massive chunk of Canadians law breakers. The more the government is contra the people, the better chance for real change.
Since downloading music on peer to peer filesharing networks is not illegal at present how are Canadians breaking the law?

Old
09-08-2009, 06:04 PM
The Vengabus

An unjust law is no law at all

Old
09-08-2009, 06:05 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Since downloading music on peer to peer filesharing networks is not illegal at present how are Canadians breaking the law?
Is it legal for Canadians to download movies?

edit: If Jim Prentice has anything to say about it, it will be illegal soon enough.

Old
09-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Actually the "public" is already assumed by the government (and the Canadian record companies) to be "illegally downloading music files" via the "CD levy tax". Course, who really CD's nowadays?

And we all know how much money of that tax has been distributed to the musicians....

Old
09-08-2009, 06:08 PM
hlrsr

Quote:

Interesting take on things...

Old
09-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:

edit: If Jim Prentice has anything to say about it, it will be illegal soon enough.
He is not the judge and he would not be passing laws that most Canadians wouldn't support, i dont get your idea where you like corporations controlling what can and what cannot flow on the internet. Unless you are being sarcastic.

Old
09-08-2009, 06:12 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
He is not the judge and he would not be passing laws that most Canadians wouldn't support, i dont get your idea where you like corporations controlling what can and what cannot flow on the internet. Unless you are being sarcastic.
The government can pass laws, you did know this, didn't you?

The government, throughout history, in many different countries around the world have passed laws that most constituents don't support. Case and point: H S T.

I personally like the idea of corporations and government teaming up to squeeze the last vestiges of freedom from society. Perhaps then the people, caged against the fence like a wild animal, will bite back.

Old
09-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:

The government, throughout history, in many different countries around the world have passed laws that most constituents don't support. Case and point: H S T.

I personally like the idea of corporations and government teaming up to squeeze the last vestiges of freedom from society. Perhaps then the people, caged against the fence like a wild animal, will bite back.
I am sorry but i meant to say should, not would

Old
09-08-2009, 06:22 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Doesn't really effect me to be honest. I purchase all my music and movies but don't necessarily look down on those who don't. I've worked in both industries for awhile now and have seen the benefits and drawbacks that file sharing has on both. I remember when record companies flipped out over FM radio and the ability of consumers to record that signal to tape. Some things never change.

I do think it's huge waste of money and resources fighting this stuff though. I don't want my tax dollars going to something that would end up being a bloated, media version of the U.S.'s 'war on drugs' campaign. It's digital, once it's out it's kind of pointless trying to stop people from sharing it. I'm also tired of the U.S. and RIAA telling Canada what to do, so part of me just wants to do the opposite of what they want. I wish our politicians would worry about real problems instead of the pocket books of their wealthy friends.

As usual, I think there is a fair balance somewhere between the two militant extremes of the issue. Geist seems to be the closest to what I would like to see.

Old
09-08-2009, 06:32 PM
StrictlyCommercial

Quote:

Marxism is strong in this one.

edit: I buy Music from my favourite artists if they're on their own label or an independent one. I download singles and old stuff though. Don't really feel the need to pay for something in which none of the money goes to the person who created it. I never rent movies, but I watch a lot in theatres...so that makes up for the illegal downloading

Last edited by StrictlyCommercial: 09-08-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old
09-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
Marxism is strong in this one.

edit: I buy Music from my favourite artists if they're on their own label or an independent one. I download singles and old stuff though. Don't really feel the need to pay for something in which none of the money goes to the person who created it. I never rent movies, but I watch a lot in theatres...so that makes up for the illegal downloading
What illegal downloading are you talking about? It might be unethical, but never illegal (At least for now)

Old
09-08-2009, 06:50 PM
fedlibs

Quote:

Actually, is there a place where I can read about which types of downloads/disc copying/sharing are considered legal and which are not (with some examples, preferably)? (For example, music, movies, software, etc.) The law here in Canada seems really confusing with regards to computer copyright standards.

Old
09-08-2009, 06:57 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Off-Topic Posting: Posts are to be on the topic of the board description where they're posted. Off Topic posts may be moved or closed at the moderators discretion. All political discussion is to be done on the Politics forum (http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160).
Oh and I'm back from my trip yaay.