HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Hockey in Nashville?

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2004, 04:49 PM
stardog

vCash: 500
Hockey in Nashville?

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought hockey was catching on in Nashville?

According to the article by this guy, the Preds would be the third likely candidate to be contracted if there indeed is one. He makes it sound like your franchise is easily a top candidate and that it is unable to survive.
I didnt think that you guys were in bad shape at all....

anyways have a look for yourself.
As you know, Im a Pens fan, and I am sick of hearing talk such as this....I am wondering if the writer is just pulling names out of his arse, or if there is any truth to it.....

lemme know..

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/...441fb0070.html

Old
03-06-2004, 05:05 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Well, he doesn't give any reasons for it......just says that we would be no. 3. I find that lame. We have had a very low payroll throughout our history, we are finally icing a team that shows promise, fans are starting to come, and we are on the verge of making the playoffs for the first time.....Nashville is a great sports town....thats why the Preds are here. Add in to that a very favorable building lease, and I doubt we are contracted.

That being said, it could happen if a favorable CBA is not put in place. A lot of teams are having problems right now......and unless the CBA is changed.....its just going to continue to get worse.

Old
03-06-2004, 05:17 PM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Well, he doesn't give any reasons for it......just says that we would be no. 3. I find that lame. We have had a very low payroll throughout our history, we are finally icing a team that shows promise, fans are starting to come, and we are on the verge of making the playoffs for the first time.....Nashville is a great sports town....thats why the Preds are here. Add in to that a very favorable building lease, and I doubt we are contracted.

That being said, it could happen if a favorable CBA is not put in place. A lot of teams are having problems right now......and unless the CBA is changed.....its just going to continue to get worse.
See that is exactly what I thought as well. I think this article was incredibly speculative....

The scary thing about this is that you and I actually agree on something!

Old
03-06-2004, 05:59 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

i think that if nashville were contracted...

there would be about 10 other teams folded at the same time, and two of them could easily be canadian teams.

i'm not all that concerned, though.

Old
03-06-2004, 07:43 PM
volzok

Quote:
Quote from article
Nashville is No. 3. Again, turning fans on to hockey in the South figures to be a long and financially draining.

After that, it gets tougher. Consider that perhaps a year ago Tampa Bay would be part of this list and you'd have to be careful singling out stragglers, though candidates would include Washington, Edmonton, Calgary, Phoenix, Anaheim and, yes, even Florida.
To me it seems that this guys ideas are based on winning. The part that gets me is the line about Tampa. While I dont think they should be contracted, why is it that just because they are leading the division this yr, they arent a candidate. I dont think this article holds a lot of water. Its just this guys opinion on who should be candidates. Obviously, you would have to look at a lot of different statistics to make a list of who to contract. I think all of this just needs a little more time before we can seriously look at it. Lets worry about the playoffs first.

Old
03-07-2004, 04:27 AM
stardog

Well for any of you interested, Dejan Kovacavic wrote a very good article on contraction in the post gazette. I know you aren't Pens fans but it is a good read (especially considering all the talk about contracting my team).

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/04067/281894.stm

Old
03-07-2004, 08:17 AM
biscuithead

Send a message via AIM to biscuithead
It would make more sense to contract the poorly run teams as the Pitsburgh article suggests, their the ones killing this league! If everyone was as budget-minded as teams like the Preds, the league would be in the black.

Closed Thread