HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Should The Rangers Have Signed Mark Streit Instead?

Old
01-09-2009, 01:49 AM
FromTheSide

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
And yet their fans wanted HIM gone, even right after they went to the finals. Wonder why? Maybe because he's a passionless player who plays without urgency and without heart.

I love how the Rangers try to pass that off as poise. That's ********. He routinely gets beat to loose pucks. He gets caught up ice way too often. He hasn't done squat to improve the power play. You can say that that's on the coaching staff, and part of it certainly is. But part of it is on him (and Gomez and everyone else, too).

He does nothing well. He is mediocre at practically every aspect of the game. And we're stuck with him, because no one is going to want to pay $6.5 million for 5 years for a guy that is completely average.
Oh really the entire fan base wanted him gone? just like everyone wanted rozsival gone but now they actually see he can play great if idiots dont boo him?

Go watch the game in ottawa with the rangers ,yeah that was a Standing Ovation for redden.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:00 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger View Post
Oh really the entire fan base wanted him gone? just like everyone wanted rozsival gone but now they actually see he can play great if idiots dont boo him?

Go watch the game in ottawa with the rangers ,yeah that was a Standing Ovation for redden.
You know what, I'm not even going to search for the numerous threads from the Sens board, or from when the Rangers signed Redden with tons and tons of posters spewing about how much Redden sucks, or how funny they find it that the Rangers signed him. I'm just too lazy to prove something that is practically common knowledge.

They may have cheered him when he returned to Ottawa, and that isn't a shock. He WAS good for sometime. But he stopped being good two years ago, and choosing him over Chara is one of the funniest blunders of all-time. Gotta love John Muckler.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:01 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Hindsight 20/20 is awesome isnt it?

Go back to a poll in June Redden or Sreit......Redden would win 90 to 10.
I dunno man......if you ask me that question, I'd pick Streit. Now mind you I thought he was a product of the Habs potent PP, turns out he's the cause of it, but still I saw Redden's decline happen for years in Ottawa, maybe it's cause I'm in Canada and had a closer look at both those guys, but I'd have fallen under that 10% and taken Streit.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:06 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:

And I'd venture to guess that the only times these people had watched Redden or Streit play was when their teams played the Rangers. There is no way someone with at least a rudimentary understanding of this sport could have watched any solid chunk of Sens hockey from the last two seasons and thought to themselves "My team could really use Wade Redden."

Old
01-09-2009, 02:07 AM
FromTheSide

Quote:
And I'd venture to guess that the only times these people had watched Redden or Streit play was when their teams played the Rangers. There is no way someone with at least a rudimentary understanding of this sport could have watched any solid chunk of Sens hockey from the last two seasons and thought to themselves "My team could really use Wade Redden."
Thats like saying doughty'of the kings is garbage just like LA.

Old
01-09-2009, 02:11 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Thats like saying doughty'of the kings is garbage just like LA.
How is that like that at all?

Old
01-09-2009, 02:14 AM
FromTheSide

Quote:
How is that like that at all?
you are basically implying who would want watch an abysmal sens team fail and want redden
(so basically saying there is no talent I.E Redden)

With that logic i can say Dru Doughty on the LA Kings is terrible because i don't want to watch a .500 team.

Old
01-09-2009, 02:20 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
you are basically implying who would want watch an abysmal sens team fail and want redden
(so basically saying there is no talent I.E Redden)

With that logic i can say Dru Doughty on the LA Kings is terrible because i don't want to watch a .500 team.
That's not what I'm saying at all. Not even sure how you reach that conclusion.

It has nothing to do with not wanting to watch a bad team. The question is this: Have you seen Wade Redden play? Now, if you watched more than 4-5 Sens games last season, or even the year before, enough Sens games to really get a sense of what his game is like, I contend that you really have to not understand this sport to think that the way he has been playing for the last few seasons is good.

I have Center Ice, and I've generally always enjoyed watching the Sens play, at least until very recently. I watched at least 30-35 Sens games last season, and probably even more the year before. I can tell you with 100% certainty that before July 1st, I had no desire for the Rangers to sign Wade Redden, and would have totally preferred them to sign Streit if they were going to sign a "big" free agent d-man.

Then again, I also felt the same way about Gomez, and while I wanted Drury, I wanted no part of him if it meant paying him more than 4.5 mill a season.

Old
01-09-2009, 02:23 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

And good for him if he got an ovation, that's fine. From what I understand, he's a very nice guy who did a lot of good things for the community in Ottawa. No one is questioning him as a person.

The question is his performance on the ice, and I can't fathom how someone running a franchise could offer an enormous salary and 6 years to a player who, in his prime, just had 2 consecutive terrible seasons.

Notice that while the gave him an ovation, the Sens made no effort to re-sign Wade Redden, even when he told them he was open to taking a hometown discount to stay there.

Old
01-09-2009, 02:26 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Oh, and lest we forget who supposedly was the great backer of Redden. His good friend Perry Pearn! Perry Pearn vouched for him, clearly thinking that this was the man who could improve our PP. Yes, the same Perry Pearn that hasn't been able to give us a good power play for 4 years.

Old
01-09-2009, 02:27 AM
FromTheSide

Quote:
And good for him if he got an ovation, that's fine. From what I understand, he's a very nice guy who did a lot of good things for the community in Ottawa. No one is questioning him as a person.

The question is his performance on the ice, and I can't fathom how someone running a franchise could offer an enormous salary and 6 years to a player who, in his prime, just had 2 consecutive terrible seasons.

Notice that while the gave him an ovation, the Sens made no effort to re-sign Wade Redden, even when he told them he was open to taking a hometown discount to stay there.
Well they chose to try to resign mezzaros instead of redden simple as that ( of course by now you know mezzaros was signed by TB) so look where the sens are now? probably one of the worst 6 d-men in the league on that team at least as a whole unit when you look at it on paper.

Old
01-09-2009, 02:34 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Well they chose to try to resign mezzaros instead of redden simple as that ( of course by now you know mezzaros was signed by TB) so look where the sens are now? probably one of the worst 6 d-men in the league on that team at least as a whole unit when you look at it on paper.
You're simply making my point here. Of course they tried to re-sign Meszaros instead. Mezsaros, at least before this season, had been much better than Redden. Much like the Devils realized that Gomez wasn't worth more than 5 million, the Sens realized that Redden wasn't worth...anything. They didn't even entertain the option of bringing him back.

They wanted to cut all ties with him.

Now you might think they're six d-men are terrible (and I would argue that. They have two phenomenal defensive defensemen in Phillips and Volchenkov, and Kuba is a decent offensive d-man. Picard hasn't been bad either. They just need one more offensive d-man), but they don't have 11.5 million tied up in two less-than-elite defensemen like this team does.

They'll be able to retool fairly quickly. And what will this team be able to do? Where does this team go with Wade Redden on the roster for the next half-decade?

Old
01-09-2009, 02:38 AM
FromTheSide

Quote:
You're simply making my point here. Of course they tried to re-sign Meszaros instead. Mezsaros, at least before this season, had been much better than Redden. Much like the Devils realized that Gomez wasn't worth more than 5 million, the Sens realized that Redden wasn't worth...anything. They didn't even entertain the option of bringing him back.

They wanted to cut all ties with him.

Now you might think they're six d-men are terrible (and I would argue that. They have two phenomenal defensive defensemen in Phillips and Volchenkov, and Kuba is a decent offensive d-man. Picard hasn't been bad either. They just need one more offensive d-man), but they don't have 11.5 million tied up in two less-than-elite defensemen like this team does.

They'll be able to retool fairly quickly. And what will this team be able to do? Where does this team go with Wade Redden on the roster for the next half-decade?

Well it took all of the season upto tonight for mezzaros to tie redden in goals(1) i can't mezzaros was in improvement over redden for the sens.

how about we agree to disagree because its almost 4am and i want to be awake for the game tonight

Old
01-09-2009, 03:03 AM
bringbackziggy

All of you who say that Streit is terrible defensively have no idea what you are talking about and are basing it completely on the scouting report on him from the off season. I'll admit that it is what I was expecting when we signed him but he has completely changed my opinion of him. I expected a lot of turn overs from him trying to do too much and just weak play in the defensive zone altogether. He has been great both offensively and defensively for the Isles, he plays powerplay, penalty kill, and leads the team in TOI at eve strength. He isn't a hard hitting dman, but he isnt afraid to mix it up along the walls but his strength defensively is his postioning and his speed. The fact that he is only a -5 on our terrible team is reflective of that fact. Marc Andre Bergeron would have been -12 atleast at the point if he was still hear and that is who many people thought he would have a comparable impact as prior to the start of the season.

bringbackziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:21 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

im still pissed we let Souray go to the Oilers. Thats who I wanted.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:32 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Well it took all of the season upto tonight for mezzaros to tie redden in goals(1) i can't mezzaros was in improvement over redden for the sens.

how about we agree to disagree because its almost 4am and i want to be awake for the game tonight
Mezsaros was fine...until he went to Tampa Bay, but that team hasn't exactly had a stable first half this season.

But, perhaps, much like Redden, he benefited greatly from getting a lot of ice time wiht players like Heatley and Spezza and Alfie.

Yeah, my sleeping schedule is really messed up lately. I hope I'm awake for the game too, lol.

Old
01-09-2009, 05:43 AM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:

I can only speak for myself, but Streit was ahead of Redden on my D-Man list, in terms of who I wanted the Rangers to sign.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 06:00 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
I can't but shake my head at this. this was so obvious it hurts.
Telling you "I told you so" is not making it any less painful.
I reckon we would have had him for less than 3! It would have been
the right move knowing we were going to play in Switzerland and Mark being Bernese. If you are Don Cherry and doubt anybody could actually play hockey not being born of the noble Canadian prairies and doubt decent D can come from elsewhere and you believe his last years stats were a fluke then this was the sign we should have heeded.
for this you need to stop getting high on these stogies!
slats is our main problem!
He should resign on the Redden signing alone!

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 06:14 AM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

vCash: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
I agree that Redden has been awful for the most part thus far, but take off your anti-Redden blinders for one second.

I was at the game against the Penguins Monday night, and for some reason I was thinking exactly this; "Wow, if Redden flipped on a switch, how scary would this Rangers team be?". Redden played his best game as a Ranger that night, IMO. While he didn't show up on the scoresheet, he played very sound defensively, and I saw him join the rush a few times without getting caught up ice. Keep in mind people, Redden is here for at least a couple of seasons, for better or worse.

As a fan of the team, I can only hope that Redden re-discovers his form from even two seasons ago and lets it show on the ice. I have faith that he will. The first season in New York is never easy for a free agent signing with the team. Redden also got married over the summer, so I'm sure he's juggling playing in a new city while also adapting to married life. Not exactly an easy thing to do. Wade will bounce back, I have strong convictions that he will.

For the record, as I mentioned in the beginning of my post, I agree that Redden has been brutal so far this season, and definitely don't approve of the terms of his contract, both in monetary amount and length. Be honest with yourselves for a minute. I have no doubt in my mind that Streit would have been God awful here in Manhattan had he signed here instead of Redden. Streit is only having a good season stats wise because of the new up tempo system that Scott Gordon has installed since he became coach. Had Redden signed on the island, he would be at the All Star game for the Isles as Streit will be. Take a look at some of Streit's highlights, the guy is a train wreck defensively, even more so than Redden. There's a reason Montreal dressed Streit as a forward for a good chunk of their games last season.

My short answer to the OP's question: No.

Your are entitled to your opinion, obv the rangers would be better if redden stepped his game up.. but that would'nt matter streit is still muchhhh better his stats alone win the case. Also, this coming from an islander fan whos seen every game. mark streit is nowheree near a train wreck defensivly lol we all heard there were some ?s about him regarding that. fortuntaly for once islander fans were very plesantly suprised he is very solid on D. He QB's our pp, kills penaltys and plays alot of 5 v 5. something like 24 mins a game i think. He has one of the best plus/- on the team on at a absolute best "mediocore" team with little talent. So, like i said you saying no...you have your opinion.. but maybe you should rethink it lol

Btw we may have made out better then you guys with this d man thing but it doesnt matter becuase we suck! ha give us. zherdev for streit ? j/k lol

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 07:21 AM
OrbitalDynamics
Ants? Solid Plan.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
im still pissed we let Souray go to the Oilers. Thats who I wanted.
Bingo! I remember after we had backed up the truck for Gomez and Drury two years ago I was hearing that Souray was literally sitting home waiting for Sather to call.

Watched the Canuck/Oiler game the other night and Souray absolutely destroyed Ohlund in a fight after Ohlund laid Erik Cole out.

Plus the fourteen goals he's got is pretty sexy too...

But, hindsight is great isn't it?

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 07:26 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Wow, talk about 20/20 hindsight. Before the season, I bet you the vast majority of posters here (and fans in general) would have preferred Redden over Streit.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 07:40 AM
LetsGoBlueshirts

I remember hearing that Calgary matched Big Wade's contract but he chose NY. I wish that he would've chosen Calgary, but maybe Slats isn't at fault here.

However, I still can't wrap my head around why anyone would offer him that contract. 11.5 million on two defensemen, ugh.

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 07:51 AM
DontStepanMe

Never wanted Redden. Thought he was on the start of the downside of his career.

but on the other hand I'm pretty sure i didn't want streit either this offseason. Wish we signed neither.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I thought Streit was gonna blow. Who knew the Islanders could do something right??!

And while I did think Redden was a little overrated, I still thought he was the better defender than streit. He still might be. But streit's offensive numbers (and contract) are better.

But remember. Streit is on a more offensively inclined team. He's going to get more points. He's also the triggerman on their defense. Redden has his duties split.

Last edited by Mr Bojanglez: 01-09-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 08:07 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krm500 View Post
I would be one of the 10.
Same here, i brought up getting Sreit several times and got flamed for it.

HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote