HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Should The Rangers Have Signed Mark Streit Instead?

Old
01-09-2009, 08:08 AM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Hindsight 20/20 is awesome isnt it?

Go back to a poll in June Redden or Sreit......Redden would win 90 to 10.
Yea it is for sure.........it really would of made more sense since he is cheaper but what can ya do now right

Off to Buffalo!....Let's Go Rangers!

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 08:16 AM
RangersFan88*

OF COURSE WE SHOULD HAVE !!!!

but we didnt... as always we pick up the thrash
and the fans end up booing the team

incredible how many times we picked up free agent thrash

RangersFan88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 08:19 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan88 View Post
OF COURSE WE SHOULD HAVE !!!!

but we didnt... as always we pick up the thrash
and the fans end up booing the team

incredible how many times we picked up free agent thrash
Trash? What was conidered to be one of the top defensemen available was trash?

01-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Fletch

Redden's not trash...

let's be real here. I don't think much of Redden, but he's still a top four defenseman on many, if not most teams in the league currently. Unfortunately, he's likely not top two on many and personally I think I would've tanked the season (if that's what would've happened) and saved the dry powder (over the next six years) for next season, or for a trade. Didn't like the signing, still don't and have doubts I ever will. Problem was that Sather felt he needed to sign somebody. He thought he was getting an elite defenseman who was in a bad situation for a couple seasons and thought he was getting him for cheap. Not sure a lot of thought went into the signing except - he was great, had some issues and the thought is he'd return to form of a few seasons ago with a change of scenery.

Oh well - let's hope for the best. He still is a talented defenseman. He still is highly skilled.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blades212 View Post
The point is, Redden was brought here to improve the power play.
I don't really think it's up to Redden to improve the PP, if you know what I mean.

Put Streit on the Rangers PP and I can assure you he doesn't have 20 points with the man advantage. Conversely, if Redden's playing for Gordon, I think he'd have a lot more than 5 PP points. The Isles strategy in general is a lot more fitting of the skills that Streit and Redden bring to the ice than Renney's.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 08:28 AM
Fletch

it's tough to say, MJ. The point guys haven't been particularly great at keeping the puck in the zone and getting it to the net. A guy like Streit may be able to help there. Where he can't help is with the guys up front getting to rebounds and putting them home, which is why I think it's tough to say. It becomes marginally better at least.

Old
01-09-2009, 08:33 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
it's tough to say, MJ. The point guys haven't been particularly great at keeping the puck in the zone and getting it to the net. A guy like Streit may be able to help there.
I can't disagree, but I don't think that's the real failure point of the PP either.

Old
01-09-2009, 08:42 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Wow, talk about 20/20 hindsight. Before the season, I bet you the vast majority of posters here (and fans in general) would have preferred Redden over Streit.
Of course they would have. And if it was reversed, they would have preferred Redden over Streit.

There is really a discussion half way through the season that the Rangers should have done something different 6 months ago? Really?

We have to discount the people that say Ottawa is having their troubles because of the loss a player like Redden. We would have to discount that, because if we didn't, then what about all the people who say Redden has been bad. I mean, they must be right if everyone says it.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Synergy27

Highly unlikely, but what if Streit didn't want to come here? How do we know that he was even a legitimate option?

I was firmly in the Redden camp during the offseason, by the way. I was convinced he was due for a resurgence wherever he signed, and I still hold out hope that that might happen here. It would be nice to have that extra $2.5 million lying around, but that is assuming that:

1. Streit would have signed here for the same terms.
2. Streit would have performed here the same way he is performing on LI.
3. Redden doesn't get himself back to form.

Also, not to knock the Islanders, but I think it's safe to say that the fact that Streit ended up there means that the belief that Streit is solely offensive, a product of the Montreal PP, etc., was widely held by GMs throughout the NHL. I mean, there's no way we can prove this unless all the contract offers are disclosed, but I don't think it's too far-fetched to assume that Streit didn't get many offers given that he ended up in what most people consider to be one of the least attractive destinations in the league. Hard to **** on Slats here and not do the same to the other guys that missed out as well. Just some food for thought...

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Nemchinov13

My issue is the following. Forget PP and it's effectiveness. I'm not worried about that. I'm more worried about NOT allowing a goal, much less scoring on PP. So, if we would've signed Streit instead of Redden, would we still allow 13 SH goals? Or is it all Rozsie's fault? Or somebody else's?

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I don't really think it's up to Redden to improve the PP, if you know what I mean.

Put Streit on the Rangers PP and I can assure you he doesn't have 20 points with the man advantage. Conversely, if Redden's playing for Gordon, I think he'd have a lot more than 5 PP points. The Isles strategy in general is a lot more fitting of the skills that Streit and Redden bring to the ice than Renney's.
Are you implying that the Rangers PP is worse than the Isles....because if you are that means we are really in trouble.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Sather took a chance on Redden and Snow took a chance on Streit. 40 games in and Redden is struggling while Streit is doing well. But I'll tell you what, Redden's upside is far greater than Streits. Especially in his own end.

Do you really think any GM would say; "Hmm, screw the guy who has proven he can be a top-pairing d-man. I want the guy who didn't even play defense last year unless it was on the PP."

Same old nonsense. Complaining about things that happened months ago, but never offering any solutions.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
Highly unlikely, but what if Streit didn't want to come here? How do we know that he was even a legitimate option?

I was firmly in the Redden camp during the offseason, by the way. I was convinced he was due for a resurgence wherever he signed, and I still hold out hope that that might happen here. It would be nice to have that extra $2.5 million lying around, but that is assuming that:

1. Streit would have signed here for the same terms.
2. Streit would have performed here the same way he is performing on LI.
3. Redden doesn't get himself back to form.

Also, not to knock the Islanders, but I think it's safe to say that the fact that Streit ended up there means that the belief that Streit is solely offensive, a product of the Montreal PP, etc., was widely held by GMs throughout the NHL. I mean, there's no way we can prove this unless all the contract offers are disclosed, but I don't think it's too far-fetched to assume that Streit didn't get many offers given that he ended up in what most people consider to be one of the least attractive destinations in the league. Hard to **** on Slats here and not do the same to the other guys that missed out as well. Just some food for thought...
Any Swiss.....european player would rather play for the Rangers than the Islanders, at the same pay,

Yes I agree that this board was disparaging about Streit being a defensive liability when I brought up the issue during the off season. Same goes for Campbell.

The widely held view was that last year stats were a collective achievement by the Habs system and not Streits own doing.....
There is a lot of golden calf mentality in the NHL and the fans....
How could Keith Tkaczuk end up in all star game beats me. 82nd best scorer in the league ? and marc Savard isn't there.....Preposterous

Old
01-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Should have signed one of Roszival, Redden, or Streit and called it a day.

The extra cap room could have and should have gone towards a talented winger.

But, like someone mentioned, hindsight is 20/20 and theres nothing that can be done about it now.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Nekz
Let's Go Rangers!

Send a message via AIM to Nekz
Should of also picked up Rolston.

Nekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Fletch

trx...

I think that a GM may think twice (Redden vs. Streit). In a salary cap era, he may want to use the $2.5MM difference in salary a different way. You always need to think that way. And it seems as though there are more mediocre defensemen out there and teams would rather spend more on offensive talent. That $2.5MM could be the difference between getting, say, Kovalchuk or getting, say, Rolston (maybe not the greatest example, but I'm struggling today - I think you get the picture though).

Old
01-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

If we're gonna play this tired game, forget Redden & Streit, we shouldve picked up Chara when he was available.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 09:54 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Sather took a chance on Redden and Snow took a chance on Streit. 40 games in and Redden is struggling while Streit is doing well. But I'll tell you what, Redden's upside is far greater than Streits. Especially in his own end.

Do you really think any GM would say; "Hmm, screw the guy who has proven he can be a top-pairing d-man. I want the guy who didn't even play defense last year unless it was on the PP."

Same old nonsense. Complaining about things that happened months ago, but never offering any solutions.
I would think that the most recent trands of each player would have more bearing on a decision than what a player has done 3+ years ago.

Post lockout Redden has been a terrible defender both offensively and defensively and while I initially thought a change of scenery was needed after they tried to trade him three times.

The speed of the game has gotten to a point where Redden is being exposed of a medicore defensive defenceman. If the forwards are not slowing the on-rushers up by holding and hooking and general obstruction, they are blowing right by him and he's having a tough time adjusting.

Want to tell me over the course of one year it's an adjustment period I can live with that, but he's been horrible since we came back from the lockout.

Streit provides us with something that Redden does not and that is a presence on the point.

Hindsight is 20/20, but we knew that Redden was in decline before he was signed. Streit was not.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
Are you implying that the Rangers PP is worse than the Isles....because if you are that means we are really in trouble.
I don't have to imply it, it's a fact. Rangers PP is ranked 27th, Isles is 17th. Not that you need the numbers to tell you that if you've seen both units at work.

Old
01-09-2009, 10:03 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger View Post
People seem to not understand that its not redden "Choking" on the powerplay or offense in general.

Renney's half ass defense system basically says
if your position is D that means no goals for you!

early in the season redden rushed (and it was working) but the coach of course wants him playing "cautious" and defense first so no rushing,no shooting other than a "perfect" shot its pointless.

so if we got streit instead of redden i can see renney telling him the same thing and streit wouldnt have nearly as many points as he does now.
This is the point that no one will really acknowledge, but it's the truth. It's much easier to make a scapegoat out of a guy then to look at the big picture - the system he's playing in. I don't think Streit would make a difference.

01-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekix View Post
Should of also picked up Rolston.
Rolston's contract is kind of ridiculous and lasts through the age of 40. He's also been injured for a large chunk of this season. At least Redden has been on the ice.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
If we're gonna play this tired game, forget Redden & Streit, we shouldve picked up Chara when he was available.
absofxxxxxxlutely!

Old
01-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I don't have to imply it, it's a fact. Rangers PP is ranked 27th, Isles is 17th. Not that you need the numbers to tell you that if you've seen both units at work.
I don't watch the isles...

Old
01-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
The widely held view was that last year stats were a collective achievement by the Habs system and not Streits own doing.....
There is a lot of golden calf mentality in the NHL and the fans....
How could Keith Tkaczuk end up in all star game beats me. 82nd best scorer in the league ? and marc Savard isn't there.....Preposterous
This isn't about the fans, though. It's about the GMs, and what I was getting at was that it seems as though Slats wasn't the only GM in the league to believe that those things were true, else Streit would have ended up elsewhere. Therefore, it's kind of hard to rail on Sather for making a decision that probably would have been backed by the majority of his peers.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Welcome to the world of: Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

The Isles shoulda kept Luongo and Jokinen, and drafted Healty.
Then the Isles coulda been better.
Milbury probably woulda had the chance to take Rick DP at #4 or #5 during that draft.

(Yes, the Isles had picks 1, 4, and 5 that year.)

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote