HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Islanders @ Flames, Game 41

View Poll Results: Who was the Flames' MVP tonite?
Daymond Langkow 22 81.48%
Rene Bourque 3 11.11%
Adam Pardy 2 7.41%
Other - please explain 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Snoil11

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
PGT: Islanders @ Flames, Game 41

Fire away!!!

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Oblivion

Liked the way the Flames played tonight (mostly at the end, obviously). Props to Pardy for his first goal and Backlund for that explosive first shift.

Best player was Langkow tonight for me, but honorable mention to Bourque. The Langkow goal really got us going.

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 10:39 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Always nice to get the win and the 2 points. I thought Backlund played a decent game, being how it was his first. Nice to see Pardy get his first NHL goal.

MVP to Langkow.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 10:41 PM
DBU
Hoss Creek

vCash: 50
Langkow for MVP, and congrats to Pardy for getting his first!

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Lanny'sDaMan

Third Period
A tad better from the Flames in the final period. To start there was no cohesion in their play. Bad outlet passes and bad decisions for the first four minutes. Then the Flames came back and played their game. They fore checked, were tough on the puck, and denied all neutral zone ice. The third period was also the only period in which the Flames showed any emotion or intensity. This was not a great period, but certainly better than the other two.
The penalty kill was perfection yet again. Everyone was making the second efforts to block the shots and get the puck out of the zone. Winning all the little battles and forcing the PP unit to make decisions faster than they wanted to, the Flames really made the Islanders faulter. Also there was phenominal work in front of Miikka to clear the puck away. There were no power plays, and I honestly prefer it that way with how our PP unit has performed this season.
Congrats to Pardy on his first goal of his career. I was wondering if the Islanders were going to complain on that goal as someone was on top of Macdonald. Would not have mattered anyhow. Iggy was a beast tonight. Maybe he only got one assist but he was really working the puck and majking play after play. Langkow was a step above all game. Every shift he was absolutely fantastic. And Bourque has continued his march into Flames fan’s hearts with his stellar play.Backlund was good tonight. He made a few very dangerous shots and made an impact on tonigght's game. I am excited to watch his progress.

Overall Impressions
Not a good game from the Flames by any stretch of the imagination. Yes they got the win, but they played only as well as the Islanders did and then a touch better. A solid effort was not the name of the game tonight, and this level of play would have lost them the game against any other team. Thankfully the Flames did get the win, but the score is in no way indicative of how uninterested the Flames seemed for most of the game.
Something desperately needs to be done about the power play. It has been a serious flaw onthis team this season, and I am certain it will be our Achilles Heel if something isn’t done soon. I’m not saying we need anyone new, but simply that a new system for the PP unit is more than called for. What ever they have been doing is simply not working, so obviously it is time for a change.

Three Stars By Me
1. Daymond Langkow
2. Rene Bourque
3. Jarome Iginla

Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Hyde

Gave my MVP vote to Langkow. Though all the choices were good ones, and to be honest....I cheated I looked at who every else voted for.

Though really one could have many a MVP, Lombo I thought had a very good game, really had some nice chances using his speed. Or what about Phaneuf he had great defensive effort and he ended up with a +3 on the night. Or what about the Flame PP sure it could have been better but it had numerous chances and a goal. Really if wasn't for MacDonald I think the Flame could of had more then that one.

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 10:57 PM
BearChi

MVP to langkow great game played by calgary congrates to pardy !!!

BearChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
I'll give Pardy my MVP since his goal was the only thing to really stand out for me.

Was kind of disappointed Backlund didn't get some minutes with the top lines when things were in the bag, but then again, he played more than I thought he would.

Always good to win the ones you're supposed to win, even if it was a somewhat bland game overall. I think I should continue to mention how much I love the Moss--Lombardi--Glencross line, and I think the Phaneuf-Pardy pairing could actually work in the long term.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Pomeranian

I was happy with quite a few of them but voted for Daymond but really am happy with Bourque and Glencross and well its nice to see the secondary scoring, yet still know Iggy is the 'man' but doesn't have to carry this team on his back!

Pomeranian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:14 AM
saillias

Going with Phaneuf. He really kept the PP from being a total disaster tonight.

I went to this game completely unaware that Backlund was in the lineup. The thought never even crossed my mind when I saw a #60 stickhandling around the ice making fools out of Isles defensemen in the first period. Totally expected Backlund to go to Kelowna, Quad Cities, or back to Vasteras. I assumed it was the Sutter kid until the person beside me pointed out "Hey that Backlund is pretty good"

P.S. The GDT thread isn't open anymore, but someone commented that the past 2 games at the 'dome have been quiet. I've gone to both and it hasn't been quiet at all. Have you been watching the games on Sportsnet? I've heard they mute the crowd.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:24 AM
DBU
Hoss Creek

vCash: 50
The San Jose game I went to wasn't quiet at all. It was energized like crazy.

Tonight's game sounded quiet, but it was a pretty bland game. Maybe Sportsnet does something.

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:55 AM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Gotta go with Loubardious' mancrush Langkow as MVP tonight. He was once again awesome and he is just so consistant. One of the most underrated players in this league. Bourque was great as well. Lombardi was finally using his speed again and had several chances. Just to bad he couldn't pot one of them. Backlund was solid in his debut. I love Glencross.

Phaneuf had one of his better games in a long time. Thought he was great tonight and his partner just continues to impress. So happy to see Pardy get his first career goal. The kid has been just great and has really stepped up with the added icetime. Love the way our defence is playing right now. All 3 pairings seem to have some chemistry and compliment each other very well.

Not to nitpick as we did win tonight, but really think this was a perfect game to give McElhinney a start. I hope he gets a start soon as I'm sure Kipper could use a night off and McElhinney deserves a chance.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 05:32 AM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
P.S. The GDT thread isn't open anymore, but someone commented that the past 2 games at the 'dome have been quiet. I've gone to both and it hasn't been quiet at all. Have you been watching the games on Sportsnet? I've heard they mute the crowd.
It was me and yeah, I watched both games on Sportsnet. The Dome sounded pretty quiet in the first two periods, in particular after the goals. Normally, you can hear the fans' outburst when a goal is scored, but last night and against the Sharks the reaction was rather damped and I merely heard the goal horn. Can't remember a single "Go Flames go" in the first two periods either.

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 08:17 AM
Northern Neighbour

Langkow was terrific again tonight. He's playing exceptionally well at both ends of the ice.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 10:12 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
Not to nitpick as we did win tonight, but really think this was a perfect game to give McElhinney a start.

I thought it was a smart move to go with Kiprusoff in this game, because otherwise he would have had over a week off until the next game.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
I thought it was a smart move to go with Kiprusoff in this game, because otherwise he would have had over a week off until the next game.
no not logic... we all know hf cant handle it

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:10 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
What's wrong with that? A week off isn't going to kill Kiprusoff. I really thought it was the prefect game to start McElhinney. Eastern conferece opponent, worst team in the league, injury plagued team with little firepower right now. Didn't need Kiprusoff to win this game.

Old
01-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
What's wrong with that? A week off isn't going to kill Kiprusoff. I really thought it was the prefect game to start McElhinney. Eastern conferece opponent, worst team in the league, injury plagued team with little firepower right now. Didn't need Kiprusoff to win this game.
its not about sitting Kipper to play McElhinney... its about playing McElhinney to rest Kipper... people like you talk about this like it is McElhinney's right to play these games... like he has earned it... he hasn't...

any team in this league can win on any given night... so unless you have a system like Boston's where you are relying on both goaltenders you don't sit your goaltender just so your backup sees some action... you only play your backup when you need to rest your starter... Kipper did not need rest because of the impending days off... so there was no reason to start McElhinney

Old
01-09-2009, 01:52 PM
flamesfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
its not about sitting Kipper to play McElhinney... its about playing McElhinney to rest Kipper... people like you talk about this like it is McElhinney's right to play these games... like he has earned it... he hasn't...

any team in this league can win on any given night... so unless you have a system like Boston's where you are relying on both goaltenders you don't sit your goaltender just so your backup sees some action... you only play your backup when you need to rest your starter... Kipper did not need rest because of the impending days off... so there was no reason to start McElhinney
Fair enough. I definetly agree it isn't McElhinney's right to play. Simply put he hasn't proven anything in this league and has yet to win. No argumment from me there.

I think for me I look further down the line and Kipper is going to be a huge part of this team's playoff success. Last playoffs he wasn't at his best for a couple of the games which ended up costing us the series. I think giving Kipper some games off(even if it means a week off) benefits him more then it would hurt him. He's on pace to play 78 games this season and I'm sure we would all agree there isn't a chance he plays that many games.

We obviously disagree, but I just would like to see Kipper sit for a few more games then he has.

Old
01-09-2009, 02:16 PM
tsumetai

he's probably due to sit out in the coming weeks..just my speculation. Maybe keenan figures don't fix what isnt broken..seeing as how we have been winning as of late

tsumetai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 07:29 PM
TheGuardian

Quote:
Fair enough. I definetly agree it isn't McElhinney's right to play. Simply put he hasn't proven anything in this league and has yet to win. No argumment from me there.

I think for me I look further down the line and Kipper is going to be a huge part of this team's playoff success. Last playoffs he wasn't at his best for a couple of the games which ended up costing us the series. I think giving Kipper some games off(even if it means a week off) benefits him more then it would hurt him. He's on pace to play 78 games this season and I'm sure we would all agree there isn't a chance he plays that many games.

We obviously disagree, but I just would like to see Kipper sit for a few more games then he has.
I agree with the fact that kipper should be rested. He was very busy last year and played alot of games during the season and look what happened...he was pulled twice in the playoffs. Kipper is a great goalie but I think that for him to preform to his max during the playoffs where it really matters he has to be fully rested. I have no idea why Keenan is playing so much. Kipper is my favourite player but I prefer him playing 60 to 65 games.

TheGuardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 09:31 PM
cross16

IN terms of Kipper's rest, well he's already sat more this year than last, but also they have opportunity to rest him coming up. Their schedule gets tougher in the next few months and there wil actually be a need to rest him.

So yeah, don't rest him unless you need to. Keep him sharp becuase he's going to have to be for the schedule the Flames have after the all star break.

cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 06:48 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:

I have no qualms about resting Kipper... its about picking the spots to give him proper rest... he may have played 39 games so far... but he's going to get almost a week off now... play for a couple weeks then get all-star weekend off... he will come out of that stretch feeling very rested... the human body recovers pretty quickly from fatigue and as long as there is some proper rest in between being over worked a couple months ago will not have an affect on how tired you are now... that's why I don't get this crap about how many games he played... this will be the 2nd time in half a season that Kipper has seen rest of almost a week... that makes a HUGE difference... in the 2nd half I don't think we will have the same long layoffs... therefor it would make sense to play McElhinney a bit more... but if we do have another long layoff in March Kipper will be plenty rested for the playoffs as well