HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Kovalev bashing has got to stop

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-05-2009, 11:19 AM
  #1
BadHabit
Registered User
 
BadHabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
The Kovalev bashing has got to stop

Seriously... enough is enough. Everytime I log on here all I read are people bashing him left right and center. He's become the next whipping boy after Ryder, and just like Ryder last year, we don't see anything about the actual under-acheivers like Plekanec, Latendresse, etc.

For those of you that don't know, here's a rundown of Alex Kovalev.

Plays his best when not confined to a system. Works on the fly, takes chances. Sometimes works, sometimes it fails miserably. That's Kovalev. You take the good you take the bad.

I have no stats to prove it, but seriously, the guy must hit the most posts in the league. If half of those go in, he's a hero.

Skates pretty fast for his age. If you actually go and watch him play at the Bell Centre, he's faster than you think. Besides that, even if he wasn't that fast, it doesn't matter. I remember watching a game that the NHL televised where they had a camera on Mario Lemieux for the entire time he was on the ice and he floated around. It's all about being in the proper position at the right time. Talented guys like him don't have to be constantly skating hard, but to the average viewer it looks like he's dis-interested, or slow, or his work ethic is bad.

Is arguably the most talented player we have had since Lafleur. How can you bash that - he's a gift for the franchise and had a great year last year. He's scored some big goals for us and always has the potential to be a game breaker. He's our leading scorer and is +6 on the year. There is NO ONE on the team that can control the play like he can. I don't see anyone else able to skate the puck into the offensive zone and setup, he is the only guy on the team that is able to do it. Some try, and most of the time fail. Kovalev is a guy that can do this on a regular basis, and we would miss him dearly if he wasnt here.

He's money on the boards. How many times have you seen him go through an entire team along the boards? Hell he even picks up his glove while stickhandling 1 handed around them if he drops it. That kind of player doesn't come around very often, and keeping the puck in the zone is something we have a hard time doing lately.

Finally, for those who say he's got no heart or shouldn't be the Captain, or is a bad role model - I call you out. How the heck do you know? How do you know what goes on in the dressing room? How do you know he's got no heart? Who gave him the C? Why did they give him the C? Did he not have the C when he played for Russia? The guy must have some leadership and heart. I'm not saying that I can prove he's a great leader because I can't, but all of you people who think he's a bum and shouldn't be Captain can't say he's a poor leader either... so drop it already.

This team would not be the same without him. Sure he makes some dumb moves sometimes, but the good far outweigh the bad. Get off of his back already. He's trying to lead a team full of injured and slumping players, and I think he's doing a good job. We would surely miss him if he was not here. Give the guy some credit, and think about his salary, point total and age the next time you want to say something bad about him. Kovy is still the man in my books, and I'd re-sign him in a heartbeat as long as the money was fair.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:20 AM
  #2
Fire Brunet*
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: .-.
Posts: 5,388
vCash: 500
It's always the same people that bash him, don't worry, we're not all haters

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:22 AM
  #3
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
Don't let the Kovy bashers on here fool you because they are so loud. Many of us are satisfied with him, thats why we voted him into the allstar game.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:22 AM
  #4
HotHabsFan*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bell Center Vagabond
Posts: 2,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek View Post
It's always the same people that bash him, don't worry, we're not all haters
nope, but sometimes he makes bonehead moves like yesterdays PP giveaway and some of us get carried away and bash him, but i like my Kovy ! Do you guys realize how efficient he would be with only half the posts going in ?

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:24 AM
  #5
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
nope, but sometimes he makes bonehead moves like yesterdays PP giveaway and some of us get carried away and bash him, but i like my Kovy ! Do you guys realize how efficient he would be with only half the posts going in ?
Kovalev is just way to overly scrutinized. Many others on our team make the same mistakes his does without a word said about it!

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:25 AM
  #6
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant
 
VAN-HAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Port Moody BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
Seriously... enough is enough. Everytime I log on here all I read are people bashing him left right and center. He's become the next whipping boy after Ryder, and just like Ryder last year, we don't see anything about the actual under-acheivers like Plekanec, Latendresse, etc.

For those of you that don't know, here's a rundown of Alex Kovalev.

Plays his best when not confined to a system. Works on the fly, takes chances. Sometimes works, sometimes it fails miserably. That's Kovalev. You take the good you take the bad.

I have no stats to prove it, but seriously, the guy must hit the most posts in the league. If half of those go in, he's a hero.

Skates pretty fast for his age. If you actually go and watch him play at the Bell Centre, he's faster than you think. Besides that, even if he wasn't that fast, it doesn't matter. I remember watching a game that the NHL televised where they had a camera on Mario Lemieux for the entire time he was on the ice and he floated around. It's all about being in the proper position at the right time. Talented guys like him don't have to be constantly skating hard, but to the average viewer it looks like he's dis-interested, or slow, or his work ethic is bad.

Is arguably the most talented player we have had since Lafleur. How can you bash that - he's a gift for the franchise and had a great year last year. He's scored some big goals for us and always has the potential to be a game breaker. He's our leading scorer and is +6 on the year. There is NO ONE on the team that can control the play like he can. I don't see anyone else able to skate the puck into the offensive zone and setup, he is the only guy on the team that is able to do it. Some try, and most of the time fail. Kovalev is a guy that can do this on a regular basis, and we would miss him dearly if he wasnt here.

He's money on the boards. How many times have you seen him go through an entire team along the boards? Hell he even picks up his glove while stickhandling 1 handed around them if he drops it. That kind of player doesn't come around very often, and keeping the puck in the zone is something we have a hard time doing lately.

Finally, for those who say he's got no heart or shouldn't be the Captain, or is a bad role model - I call you out. How the heck do you know? How do you know what goes on in the dressing room? How do you know he's got no heart? Who gave him the C? Why did they give him the C? Did he not have the C when he played for Russia? The guy must have some leadership and heart. I'm not saying that I can prove he's a great leader because I can't, but all of you people who think he's a bum and shouldn't be Captain can't say he's a poor leader either... so drop it already.

This team would not be the same without him. Sure he makes some dumb moves sometimes, but the good far outweigh the bad. Get off of his back already. He's trying to lead a team full of injured and slumping players, and I think he's doing a good job. We would surely miss him if he was not here. Give the guy some credit, and think about his salary, point total and age the next time you want to say something bad about him. Kovy is still the man in my books, and I'd re-sign him in a heartbeat as long as the money was fair.
not a hater, love Kovalev who makes our team exciting to watch

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:26 AM
  #7
BadHabit
Registered User
 
BadHabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
not a hater, love Kovalev who makes our team exciting to watch
Exactly, and in the end, isn't that what it's all about? It is afterall only a sport.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:37 AM
  #8
hickles46
Registered User
 
hickles46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: England
Posts: 300
vCash: 500
Everyone expects way too much of him after last year, that's the main problem i think.

hickles46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:45 AM
  #9
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant
 
VAN-HAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Port Moody BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
Exactly, and in the end, isn't that what it's all about? It is afterall only a sport.
+1000

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:48 AM
  #10
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,305
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickles46 View Post
Everyone expects way too much of him after last year, that's the main problem i think.
Why shouldn't we expect that from him?

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:55 AM
  #11
BadHabit
Registered User
 
BadHabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Why shouldn't we expect that from him?
He's not going to have close to a career year every year. Besides, there's still over half the season left - he could go on a hot streak and finish very well. He's not stinking up the joint, so why bash? He still is the leading scorer on the team - that's why I don't get all of the critism.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:57 AM
  #12
GoodKiwi
Registered User
 
GoodKiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Georgia
Posts: 9,511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
He's not going to have close to a career year every year. Besides, there's still over half the season left - he could go on a hot streak and finish very well. He's not stinking up the joint, so why bash? He still is the leading scorer on the team - that's why I don't get all of the critism.
I don't expect him to have a career season every year. I expect him to pot 30+ goals and be a PPG player year in and year out which I'm certain he's more than capable of considering his natural talent.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:58 AM
  #13
Puckhead58*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
Seriously... enough is enough. Everytime I log on here all I read are people bashing him left right and center. He's become the next whipping boy after Ryder, and just like Ryder last year, we don't see anything about the actual under-acheivers like Plekanec, Latendresse, etc.

For those of you that don't know, here's a rundown of Alex Kovalev.

Plays his best when not confined to a system. Works on the fly, takes chances. Sometimes works, sometimes it fails miserably. That's Kovalev. You take the good you take the bad.

I have no stats to prove it, but seriously, the guy must hit the most posts in the league. If half of those go in, he's a hero.

Skates pretty fast for his age. If you actually go and watch him play at the Bell Centre, he's faster than you think. Besides that, even if he wasn't that fast, it doesn't matter. I remember watching a game that the NHL televised where they had a camera on Mario Lemieux for the entire time he was on the ice and he floated around. It's all about being in the proper position at the right time. Talented guys like him don't have to be constantly skating hard, but to the average viewer it looks like he's dis-interested, or slow, or his work ethic is bad.

Is arguably the most talented player we have had since Lafleur. How can you bash that - he's a gift for the franchise and had a great year last year. He's scored some big goals for us and always has the potential to be a game breaker. He's our leading scorer and is +6 on the year. There is NO ONE on the team that can control the play like he can. I don't see anyone else able to skate the puck into the offensive zone and setup, he is the only guy on the team that is able to do it. Some try, and most of the time fail. Kovalev is a guy that can do this on a regular basis, and we would miss him dearly if he wasnt here.

He's money on the boards. How many times have you seen him go through an entire team along the boards? Hell he even picks up his glove while stickhandling 1 handed around them if he drops it. That kind of player doesn't come around very often, and keeping the puck in the zone is something we have a hard time doing lately.

Finally, for those who say he's got no heart or shouldn't be the Captain, or is a bad role model - I call you out. How the heck do you know? How do you know what goes on in the dressing room? How do you know he's got no heart? Who gave him the C? Why did they give him the C? Did he not have the C when he played for Russia? The guy must have some leadership and heart. I'm not saying that I can prove he's a great leader because I can't, but all of you people who think he's a bum and shouldn't be Captain can't say he's a poor leader either... so drop it already.

This team would not be the same without him. Sure he makes some dumb moves sometimes, but the good far outweigh the bad. Get off of his back already. He's trying to lead a team full of injured and slumping players, and I think he's doing a good job. We would surely miss him if he was not here. Give the guy some credit, and think about his salary, point total and age the next time you want to say something bad about him. Kovy is still the man in my books, and I'd re-sign him in a heartbeat as long as the money was fair.

Kovy is the man....I love watching him play every game!!!! I wish people would leave him alone and let him play his game. He is leading the team right now in points, but for some people, that isn't enough...he has to lead the league in order for them to be happy.

I wish some people would give Kovy a break and complain about some players that are worth complaining about...like Brisebois, Latendresse, Higgins, or Plekanec. Those are the players that aren't playing good hockey every game. Kovalev might not look like he is working hard or skating hard, but that's just because he is such a smooth skater that it doesn't look like he's moving.

Give Kaptain Kovalev a break. He is leading this team right now, just like he did last season. Too bad Koivu wasn't around to do that, but you don't hear people complaining about that now do you??

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:59 AM
  #14
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
He's not going to have close to a career year every year. Besides, there's still over half the season left - he could go on a hot streak and finish very well. He's not stinking up the joint, so why bash? He still is the leading scorer on the team - that's why I don't get all of the critism.
youre right! he's also the 3rd in penalty minutes

what a leader

he really gives the example on this one

my expectations about kovy is that he should make the people around him look better, he doesn't this year

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:03 PM
  #15
sandman08
Registered User
 
sandman08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hyderabad, India
Country: India
Posts: 2,382
vCash: 500
he smells of eldaberry and his mother is a hamster!

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:08 PM
  #16
Habnot
 
Habnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08 View Post
he smells of eldaberry and his mother is a hamster!
Fetchez la vache!!!!

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:12 PM
  #17
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
He's not going to have close to a career year every year. Besides, there's still over half the season left - he could go on a hot streak and finish very well. He's not stinking up the joint, so why bash? He still is the leading scorer on the team - that's why I don't get all of the critism.
On this years team, that isn't saying much. He is only a point ahead of your third line center and a defenseman.

He isn't stinking it up however he isn't carrying the team either. One of your highest paid players, one of your Captains, most ice time of all forwards with a lot of turnovers. He also has taken the most minor penalties of any Canadien. Often time solo selfish efforts.

For me out of everything, I don't see the fire this year. The "I am going to lead this team" type attitude he had last year. Thats what I am disappointed most in him.

You basically answered your own question why he receives criticism in your original post. You take the good and the bad. There is a lot of good and a lot of bad with him. Hence criticism will follow suit.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:14 PM
  #18
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
The bash Kovalev threads are sophomoric and tiresome but they're harmless and impotent, with no effect on anything but other posters' patience. Same with the Higgins threads and other rants.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:15 PM
  #19
Fire Brunet*
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: .-.
Posts: 5,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
youre right! he's also the 3rd in penalty minutes

what a leader

he really gives the example on this one

my expectations about kovy is that he should make the people around him look better, he doesn't this year
Iwishihadacup, I'm sure you're a cool guy and I have nothing against you, but your Kovalev bashing is getting annoying, especially when you back it up with arguments such as penalty minutes.

Let's face it, the guy is almost 36, he's not 25 anymore. Last year, the PP was clicking and that is what helped him to rack up the points. This year it's different. The PP stinks and his line mates stink at times too. At the end of the day, he's our leading scorer, but can't do it all by himself.

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:20 PM
  #20
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Kovy is a guy you hate or love and it can change within a week for some... Personally i think that when he's on his game he's one of the best in the league. But in some games I really wish I could hit him with a stick.

Ultimately Kovy's value should be measured in the playoffs because that's where we need our leader/top player to shine the most, and consistently.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:21 PM
  #21
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek View Post
Iwishihadacup, I'm sure you're a cool guy and I have nothing against you, but your Kovalev bashing is getting annoying, especially when you back it up with arguments such as penalty minutes.

Let's face it, the guy is almost 36, he's not 25 anymore. Last year, the PP was clicking and that is what helped him to rack up the points. This year it's different. The PP stinks and his line mates stink at times too. At the end of the day, he's our leading scorer, but can't do it all by himself.
the problem is truly that he tries to do it all by himself....

As I said before, and I think I won't say anything else about him, my only expectation about him this year was that he should at least make his linemates better, he clearly doesn't

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:24 PM
  #22
Ross MacLochness
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,774
vCash: 500
Kovalev is now back to what he was from Oct 03-Oct. 07. A 20-25 goal scorer who doesn't make those around him better. I used to love the guy and last year was pure magic but that season and that type of play from him obviously isn't coming back. He just not a guy who you're offense should revolve around, for the record neither is Koivu or Tanguay, but with all the UFA's this summer that is something we can work on.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:26 PM
  #23
Turboflex*
 
Turboflex*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,152
vCash: 500
He is entertaining and a gamebreaking player but he's frustrating to watch with all the soft on puck turnovers and all the 3rd period/OT penalties are really getting ridiculous. Trying to pick the top corner all the time on his right circle PP shot (when the book is out on it) isn't helping the PP much either, more low shot passes through crease PLEASE!!

That said players like plekanics, breezer and sergei kostitsin are much more of a liability than Kovalev at the moment. Kovalev's production is ok, not great, but probably still worth his paycheque, it's just that his minor game problems are lot more glaring when you currently have the other whole primary scoring line laid up injured.

If the habs didn't have guys like lapierre's/lang's line contributing with good secondary scoring the christmas trip would've been a disaster.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:30 PM
  #24
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,356
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Dude I agree with you, the Kovalev bashing has to stop, he doesn't deserve it. But it wont stop. As long as there are idiots and band wagoners in the world, the bashing of Kovalev wont stop. I'm sure on Atlanta ppl are bashing Kovalchuk, in Columbus ppl are bashing Nash, in Washington people are bashing Semin for that god awful fight. Where ever you look, you'll find someone with a hammer and some spare time to rip on people undeserving to be ripped on. Its just the vicious cycle.

Kovalev doesn't deserve to be ripped on,nor does he deserve to be "renounced" of his acting Captaincy, just because he doesn't score goals when people want him to. To be a Captain is more than points, the NHL Franchises just seem to make their Captain around the highest point producer. To be a captain takes patience, and it takes leadership. Clearly Kovalev has that quality, hence why hes wearing the C while Koivu is injured. People bicker and ***** about Kovalev not scoring, well hes doing his best. If theres anything to complain about its our lack luster scoring from the rest of the team. Go rip on someone else, or rip at the fact that we don't have that High Octane point producer we always wanted. But don't bash Kovalev.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:31 PM
  #25
mlandry
Registered User
 
mlandry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
youre right! he's also the 3rd in penalty minutes

what a leader

he really gives the example on this one

my expectations about kovy is that he should make the people around him look better, he doesn't this year
Oh please you are by far the worst Kovalev basher on this board. He could have 60 goals and you would still say he sucks because he got a penalty.

mlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.