HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

01/09/09 Washington Capitals vs Columbus Blue Jackets. Verizon Center. 7:00 PM

Old
01-08-2009, 11:33 PM
bottleCAPS

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS

WASHINGTON CAPITALS (27-11-3) COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS (18-18-4)
TV: CSN-DC,SPSO (HD), Online Feed: Game Center

For information on tonight's game follow Senior Caps writer Mike Vogel's preview HERE.

For supplementary coverage you can check out Tarik El-Bashir's blog from the Washington Post HERE.

11/28/08 Washington 0 - 3 Columbus GWG: R. Torres Winning Goalie: S. Mason

1. A. Ovechkin - 39GP - 27G - 26A - 53PTS
2. N. Backstrom - 41GP - 12G - 33A - 45PTS
3. A. Semin - 23GP - 14G - 20A - 34PTS
4. V. Kozlov - 36GP - 9G - 18A - 27PTS
5. M. Green - 28GP - 10G - 16A - 26PTS

Washington Capitals
Defenseman Brian Pothier is out.
Defenseman John Erskine is day-to-day.
Defenseman Tom Poti is day-to-day.
Center Sergei Fedorov is day-to-day.
Left wing Tomas Fleischmann is day-to-day.

Columbus Blue Jackets
Goaltender Pascal LeClaire is out.
Defenseman Rostislav Klesla is out.
Defenseman Ole-Kristian Tollefsen is out.
Center Derick Brassard is out.
Center Jiri Novotny is out.
Left wing Rick Nash is day-to-day.
Left wing Jason Chimera is day-to-day.
Left wing Raffi Torres is day-to-day.
Right wing Kristian Huselius is day-to-day.

Washington Forwards
8-Ovechkin, 19-Backstrom, 28-Semin
14-Fleischmann, 91-Fedorov/92-Nylander, 25-Kozlov
21-Laich, 39-Steckel, 16-Fehr/17-Clark
87-Brashear, 15-Gordon, 10-Bradley

Washington Defensemen
55-Schultz, 52-Green
26-Morrisonn, 62-Collins
27-Alzner, 23-Jurcina

Goaltenders
1-Johnson, 60-Theodore

Columbus Forwards
28-Filatov, 27-Malhotra, 33-Modin
17-Murray, 18-Umberger, 93-Voracek
21-Picard, 19-Peca, 43-Mayorov
15-Dorsett, 11-MacDonald, 40-Boll

Columbus Defensemen
8-Heyda, 22-Commodore
3-Methot, 51-Tyutin
5-Backman, 10-Russell

Goaltenders
1-Mason, 34-LaCosta

*note: Lineups are subject to change, starting goalies marked with italics.

Backstrom and Green Get All-Star Snubbed.

As usual, I am late to the party. But this topic - which has been churned over the course of the day in Capitals Nation - was just too juicy to pass up.

So here's the short of it: Nicklas Backstrom and Mike Green have been left off the Eastern Conference's All-Star roster, the only Capital to be named to the squad was superstar Alexander Ovechkin - a "gimme" of a pick.

Apparently someone at the NHL's head office didn't get the memo regarding the Capitals being one of the leagues elite teams this first half, not to mention the individual success of both Backstrom and Green.

This is just another prime example of how badly the NHL mismanages the way they market their game, and how it prohibits them from gaining any points in the popularity column in their attempts to win over new fans.

Backstrom ranks fourth in the league in assists this season with 33. Sorry NHL fans, but he won't be displayed at this event. Instead you can enjoy the underwhelming play of Carolina Hurricanes center Eric Staal who is on pace for a less than astounding 64 points, which would be his lowest output since his rookie campaign, when he marked 31.

Yep, he's an all-star folks. Granted he's all Carolina has to offer in terms of sheer talent, wouldn't it be better to give the spot to someone more deserving?

This brings us to Mike Green.

Green comes into the midway point ranked 3rd in Eastern Conference defenseman, tallying 26 points in 28 games. His 10 goals are good for 4th overall in the NHL. Well again, our apologies, but you'll have to make due with Mike Komisarek, the epitome of a defensive defenseman (albeit it one of the best in the NHL). Komisarek will undoubtedly put on a show in this exhibition, as his 3 points in 20 games speak volumes for his gifted offensive game.

Please.

The NHL needs to stop these nonsensical tactics, allowing the fans to pick their starting line-up. Time to give the vote to the coaches of the NHL who ice rosters much more flattering in showcasing what the NHL has to offer. Montreal fans only managed to get one starter right, defenseman Andrei Markov who is having a stellar year for the Habs.

Saku Koivu? Honestly? He's hardly a second line center on his own team let alone an All-Star starter.

Carey Price? Well excuse me but Tim Thomas and the stat book beg to differ.

In the NHL, the stats don't always tell the whole story, but rarely do they lie (exception being +/- in a handful of cases).

Hopefully fans of the NHL will enjoy watching the Montreal Canadiens, plus Sidney Crosby take on the best of the Western Conference, because I for sure will not.

But hey, hopefully George McPhee will be able to use this as leverage when negotiating contracts and awarding bonus incentives.

Be that as it may, Jose Theodore was able to put it best:

"The league really should review the system, especially for the starting lineup," he said. "Ovie not in the starting lineup takes away from the selections. The league needs to do something about it."

I think all fans of the game can agree with that. This has gone way past a popularity contest and is now bordering on a new definition for sad.

Enjoy you stuffed ballot Habs fans.

LETS GO CAPS!

sources are www.capitals.nhl.com & www.nhl.com

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:35 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Lloyd isn't fond of ballot stuffers.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:12 AM
Roccoman

on paper the Caps should win. but i get the feeling this could be a letdown game, playing a not-so-good Columbus team with a good goalie & a defense-first system

on the other hand we are hot right now.

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:40 AM
LadyIce

CAps BearS gettINg snubbed for THE All-Star Game is nothing new. It's interesting to see all the local sports media calling shenanigans on the ASG by keeping out Backis and Green. They also said if the Caps win one of their next two games, Bruce gets to go as an assistant coach. Time to make Columbus pay for the loss back in November.

LadyIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 01:03 AM
EroCaps

A trouncing would be nice a nice way to kick-off the second half against an injury-riddled non-playoff team in promising fashion the night before a tought roadie in Montreal.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 01:12 AM
Darkproducer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
A trouncing would be nice a nice way to kick-off the second half against an injury-riddled non-playoff team in promising fashion the night before a tought roadie in Montreal.
Would be nice, but I hear this Mason kid is pretty good...I'm sure he'll do what he can to keep the jackets in this game. Maybe we can bring him down to earth. Well anyhow just win!!

Darkproducer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:21 AM
The Ghoul

ASG blows anyways! Caps rock the red light and win 3-1. Flash was practicing yesterday so he might be playing tonight.

The Ghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 08:04 AM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Columbus Dispatch is reporting the lines as follows:

Modin - Umberger - Voracek
Murray - Malhotra - Boll
Filatov - Peca - Mayorov
Picard - MacDonald - Dorsett

Defensive pairings are as you listed them.

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/live/...B.html?sid=101

On paper, you should win. But, during the Detroit game on Tuesday (Nash only played during the first period), the remainder of the line-up held the Red Wings scoreless through 2 periods. If Modin's 2 or 3 shots had gone in instead of going off the goal posts and Peca hadn't hesitated on his shot, the end result wouldn't have been 3-0 Wings.

The team is hurt, but they aren't going to roll over. Hitchcock has been using the Caps as an example of a team that has made it through a rough injury patch. Hopefully, the CBJ will follow the Caps example.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 09:32 AM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

vCash: 1417
20 year old goalies need lots of seasoning right? Perhaps Mason can only hold down the fort for so long. Caps at near full health win in an Ovi flying solo ASG anger filled 6-1 blowout victory. We can and will skate Semin with Ovi.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 09:49 AM
txpd

Columbus had no choice based on injuries. Were the Caps in the same spot and Varlamov were posting shutouts I am sure the situation would be similar. The difference is that Columbus is struggling to keep up and the Caps are almost setting the pace.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 10:05 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Tarik has Fehr and Nylander likely sitting tonight with Fedorov and Flash coming back.

Old
01-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Kegger

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Tarik has Fehr and Nylander likely sitting tonight with Fedorov and Flash coming back.
Shultz is likely out too (injury), with the Sloan call up.

Kegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 10:29 AM
captaincheat

Is Erskine ever coming back? They could use his grit....he has been day to day for EVER!!!

captaincheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Kegger

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincheat View Post
Is Erskine ever coming back? They could use his grit....he has been day to day for EVER!!!
Concussion.

Kegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 10:40 AM
pgreene

poti to ltir to keep alzner alive, for now.

so a move has to happen between now and wednesday, basically, if alzner's to stay with the big team (unless of course schultz can go back on ir).

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 10:44 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
(unless of course schultz can go back on ir).
That won't work.

The only way Karl stays is if a player that makes more than his 1.675 million salary is on LTIR or someone is moved to create space.

Old
01-09-2009, 10:46 AM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Hope you don't mind a voice from the other side...

The outcome of the game will depend on special teams. If the Jackets can keep it 5 on 5, they have a chance. If they end up taking too many penalties, it could be a blow out in the Caps favor.

Just looking over some stats (not sure how much you guys know about us):

Team....5/5 F/A...PP rank...PK rank
CBJ.......6th........30th.......18th
Caps.....9th.........5th........20th

Mason is currently leading the league in save % 0.934, GAA 1.82, and tied for shutouts with 5. He doesn't rattle easily, not a "typical" 20 year old goaltender.

I'm curious as to how our "third line" as listed above will do: Mayorov - Peca - Filatov. First time for Mayorov and Filatov together at the NHL level, but they have been playing together in Syracuse.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 10:54 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
That won't work.

The only way Karl stays is if a player that makes more than his 1.675 million salary is on LTIR or someone is moved to create space.
That's a little simplistic, because technically, with Erskine and Pothier still on LTIR, they have some of the 1.675M available using those LTIR exceptions, even if Poti returns as long as Collins and Sloan are both sent back to Hershey. They don't need to free up the entire 1.675M, only a portion of that to keep Alzner on the roster; but yes, simply putting Schultz on IR won't do it, because putting a player on IR has no impact on the cap situation.

Carrying a 22 player roster of 6D including Alzner and Poti, 14F and 2G, my quick math shows they would be over by somewhere in the neighborhood of $500,000, assuming every player with performance bonuses still has a 100% cap hit with perf bonuses still 100% achievable.

Erskine is the other wildcard depending on how close he is to returning and being taken off of LTIR.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 11:07 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Erskine should be close...but if he stays on...they'd still have to clear that 500k and be forced to only have 6 active D men at a time with no room for a call up.

What a mess.

Old
01-09-2009, 11:09 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

I'm missing this game tonight...have my own game...but if's against CBJ in Columbus...it'll be boring if the Blue Jackects can suffocate the Caps attack. Although, it'll be interesting to see Filatov play.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 11:09 AM
sk84fun_dc

True. Also, the update about Schultz puts another question mark out there. If rest doesn't work and he needs surgery again on his finger, he could end up back on LTIR.

Back to the game tonight, Go Caps. I agree this game appears to be about special teams and Mason, plus which Theodore shows up.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 11:38 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
I'm missing this game tonight...have my own game...but if's against CBJ in Columbus...it'll be boring if the Blue Jackects can suffocate the Caps attack. Although, it'll be interesting to see Filatov play.
It's in DC.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:03 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
It's in DC.
Oh geez..thanks..for some reason I thought it was in Columbus...well then.. That's a different animal.

I wish I was watching this game...I wanna see Ovy tear this Mason rookie a new one.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:13 PM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

I haven't had the chance to see Filatov yet, hopefully I get to see this game.

itsjustsurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 12:22 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

3-2 Caps....just win baby!

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote