HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Jason Jaffray (VAN) - Update - Clears waivers

Old
01-09-2009, 02:29 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Ellis?
Ellis has already been sent back down... he was only called up for a little while inbetween Schneider being sent down and Sanford returning from injury because it's mandatory to have two goalies on our roster.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:33 PM
4rde

What the hell is going on, nobody wants Jaffray?

4rde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
Ellis has already been sent back down... he was only called up for a little while inbetween Schneider being sent down and Sanford returning from injury because it's mandatory to have two goalies on our roster.
So why the need to send a guy down? Who is the 23rd player? Ellis was the only name I could think of.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:20 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
So why the need to send a guy down? Who is the 23rd player? Ellis was the only name I could think of.
If a player is gonna be sitting on the bench (Jaffray), might as well donate him to the AHL team and save the cap space for a deadline acquisition.

Old
01-09-2009, 03:53 PM
vancityluongo
undisputed genius

vCash: 1070
Quote:
There's a trade coming!!!

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
If a player is gonna be sitting on the bench (Jaffray), might as well donate him to the AHL team and save the cap space for a deadline acquisition.
And risk losing him to waivers? Cap savings (considering I think Jaffrey is minimum wage) is negligible.

Old
01-09-2009, 04:26 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks5551 View Post
AV has the biggest man-crush on Mike Brown. Both Pettinger and Jaffray have been waived to keep his useless ass in the press box.
AV doesn't decide who gets sent down. MG does.

01-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Bishop*

meh -Jaffray wasn't exactly lighting it up... I saw more errors and confusion in his game - he is an AHLer at best!

Bishop* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 04:32 PM
josra33

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
There's a trade coming!!!
After all this Sundin madness watch they trade him!!! I WOULD LAUGH HARDCORE

josra33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
meh -Jaffray wasn't exactly lighting it up... I saw more errors and confusion in his game - he is an AHLer at best!
He's a 4th liner at best I agree - but he's got at least 2 GWG's recently compared to the guy who is still around (Mike Brown). All Brown has been doing lately is eating popcorn in the pressbox. That's his accomplishment.

Old
01-09-2009, 04:53 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Nycholat? Or was he sent down already?

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 04:58 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Canucks are currently sitting at 22 players.

Old
01-09-2009, 05:57 PM
baronzilch

Quote:
Canucks are currently sitting at 22 players.
Maybe Luongo is back sooner than we thought, we could be carrying 3 goalies for a few weeks while we make sure he's healed? (considering Sanford just came off injury too)

baronzilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 06:10 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by baronzilch View Post
Maybe Luongo is back sooner than we thought, we could be carrying 3 goalies for a few weeks while we make sure he's healed? (considering Sanford just came off injury too)
We've had a 22 man roster for a while, now.. I don't think it's a Luongo complication.

Old
01-09-2009, 06:13 PM
crazyforhockey

Jaffery has played much better this time around.Hes mixed it up a few times,a couple of points,forechecked well.

Jaffery may just easily pass,Brown was going to be waived earlier this year but was held up,because there were a couple of inquires,and it was expected he was going to be picked up.Ott would probably jump at him to get some grit and energy.

Also it seems that they are keeping a 22 man roster rather than a 23 vman roster to save even more cap space for trade deadline.

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 06:58 PM
SharksDownUnder

Send a message via Skype™ to SharksDownUnder
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
I disagree with this.

It's the best case scenario for the Moose if he passes through waivers and goes there, but the rest of the organization - and for him - it's not a good situation IMO.

I'm still confused as to why this organization seems to be value Brown so much?? He brings nothing that this team doesn't already have. I could understand in year's past when you don't have a legit heavyweight on the roster, you want to keep an enforcer around, but this team is plenty tough... and with Hordichuk, O'Brien, Davison and Bieksa - and several others who have shown they will drop the gloves when needed, really isn't necessary having another fighter on the team.

IMO it would have been much better for the canucks to waive Brown, send him to Manitoba (and if he gets picked up - so what??), and keep Jaffray as an extra forward on the team... he's a more versatile player than Brown is, and is a much better option as a guy who can come in to cover for injuries, than Brown. And Jaffray's not really a young player anymore... he doesn't have much untapped potential that he will develop further by playing big minutes in Manitoba. He is what he is - a 4th line talent who can play a few minutes for you in different positions and not hurt your team... Brown, IMO, is less than that.
I'd speculate... the Canucks seemed to showcase Jaffrey a bit. He got powerplay time with the Sedin's etc. They could have avoided this by not playing him for 10 games. His contract and skill set could give some teams a bit of depth without much expense... and potentially could add to the farm teams development as well.

The Moose Roster appears to have the depth to be without him. Maybe it's something in his contract or wanting to give me a shot somewhere else... cause it's not like he's got a future with the Canucks.

Anyways, from my view - Brown though not as versatile a player.... he is versatile in that he is capable of sitting in the pressbox and not hurting this skills that he brings to the team when he's in the lineup. He's an energy and grit player that will mix it up with anyone nearly. To put a Jaffrey type player in the pressbox would have an effect on his game.

This is how I see it.

SharksDownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 07:00 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksDownUnder View Post
The Moose Roster appears to have the depth to be without him. Maybe it's something in his contract or wanting to give me a shot somewhere else... cause it's not like he's got a future with the Canucks.
The Moose got off to a great start, but with the call-ups of Schneider, Jaffray and Bolduc and the injury to Grabner, they started slipping.

The return of Schneider is helping but in lieu of Grabner being able to play, Jaffray will add a big offensive punch.

Old
01-09-2009, 07:08 PM
SharksDownUnder

Send a message via Skype™ to SharksDownUnder
Quote:
The Moose got off to a great start, but with the call-ups of Schneider, Jaffray and Bolduc and the injury to Grabner, they started slipping.

The return of Schneider is helping but in lieu of Grabner being able to play, Jaffray will add a big offensive punch.
I agree... it would be helpful if he slipped through waivers, but regardless... I think Hansen might be back there when Pyatt returns anyways. I do agree their offense is soft - when is Grabner back? What happened to him?

SharksDownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 02:36 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

He clears..

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Jaf...944/story.html

Quote:
VANCOUVER - Forward Jason Jaffray, who was placed on waivers Friday by the Vancouver Canucks, cleared today and was assigned to the American Hockey League's Manitoba Moose.

Old
01-10-2009, 03:02 PM
Bean in Charge

The only sense I can make of this is that the Moose were hurting (in the standings), and needed a boost. Brown wouldn't have provided that boost. As much as the Canucks need to concern themselves with their own standings, having a successful farm team undoubtedly does wonders for prospect growth (see Capitals and Philly).

Also, when Pyatt comes back, I'm assuming he'll take the place of Jaffrey (that is, the 4th line plug/someone who "can" play anywhere else in the line up that need be).

Bean in Charge is offline   Reply With Quote