HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help needed: Skating backwards

Old
01-12-2009, 10:31 PM
EmptyNetter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spjon25 View Post
yeah whatever they are called. I was always told they were called cross unders going backwards, cause one foot is going"under" the other. I just know I suck at them
What's the problem?

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
yeah whatever they are called. I was always told they were called cross unders going backwards, cause one foot is going"under" the other. I just know I suck at them
its all about weight distibution. you have to put the weight in the right spot at the right time, wheter it is the outside blade or the inside. you have to practice it and just know, just realize you will fall down, but you have to keep practicing them

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:00 AM
spjon25

I know it is practice. I am trying to get to the rink as much as possible, but right now that is once a week during my ice games.

The weight distribution thing for me is the toughest part. I have a fear of getting my legs tied up and falling (I know everyone does) and screwing up my knee...again

spjon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:59 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Well, here's how I learned in power skating at the age of 27. Have you ever practiced your edges skating forward? Starting with the easier inside edge, going up the ice in an S shape pattern switching on one leg, switching when you get to the middle. Then doing the same thing except with the outside edge of the blade, which is much more difficult. This is something where with practice you can begin to notice a fairly quick improvement in the drill, which helps with the fundamentals of your skating.

Well for backwards skating you do the same thing, except backwards. The inside edge isn't too bad, but once you start on the outside edge (which requires a small crossover step when you switch legs) its much harder. Once I got the hang of that though I was able to pick up the rest, such as backwards crossovers. Going straight back and getting speed you only use the inside edge, but for turning and crossovers you use the outside edge as well, which is where your problems probably originate.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 03:20 AM
IniNew

I learned how to cross-over backwards by myself. Probably not completely correct but it sped me up two times over while skating backwards over the C-Curves.

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/6...ingoverpi3.jpg

I started to learn on roller so the motion was more of a slide where I turned my ankle, which then developed into a small jump when I wanted to pull off and thats what transfered into the Ice.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 08:37 AM
Grind Line

Chubbs would say its all in the hips but really it's not!

Keep your knees well bent and head up, back straight.
I'm still learning now and i'm 25! If i can learn at my age having never skated before you can do it!

As for falling. Just get back up time and time again. It's hockey after all. We all fall sometimes!

Grind Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 08:50 AM
qwertysac

Quote:
your first step to learning them is to stop listening to whoever told you that

Quote:
Originally Posted by IniNew View Post
and im looking at this pic, i know how to skate backwords and do crossovers perfectly, and still it confuses me LOL. Maybe because it comes naturally

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 09:20 AM
IniNew

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertysac View Post

and im looking at this pic, i know how to skate backwords and do crossovers perfectly, and still it confuses me LOL. Maybe because it comes naturally
I honestly think the only reason the picture makes sense to me is because I can fill in the small gaps with a fluid motion in my head. Failure at helping, I know. I know.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 09:45 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
I know it is practice. I am trying to get to the rink as much as possible, but right now that is once a week during my ice games.

The weight distribution thing for me is the toughest part. I have a fear of getting my legs tied up and falling (I know everyone does) and screwing up my knee...again
I've never seen another person do this at an open skate (no stick or puck) but I always bring rollerblade knee pads. I've fallen on ice without them once and it hurt for months after so I feel your pain. Knowing my knees are well protected allows me the peace of mind to skate outside my comfort zone.

In order to improve you will have to make extra time for practice. In a game situation a skilled forward will try to cause you to lose your balance waiting for you to commit in one direction and then cutting the other way. Try to skate at a time and place that you've got room to move without crashing into a family of 4. Find your balance points -- the sharper a turn you cut the more you'll have to shift your upper body. Also, respect that the more speed you build up the more momentum you'll have going in one direction. If you cut abruptly in a different direction you're probably going to fall. I've never heard of someone deking backwards.

There's an open field near where I live. The adjacent river overflows this time of year and it all froze over thanks to a long cold snap and I skated for 3 hours straight. There's nothing better than having that kind of time to work out issues like this. Once you make that one final adjustment you just know it's right -- you feel it. It's like learning to ride a bike for the first time.

Old
01-13-2009, 09:50 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertysac View Post
Actually, I think it's a better term than "cross-over" for backward skating. You never want to place the foot crossing over in the path of the other, you put it behind or "under" the other one.

Old
01-13-2009, 05:06 PM
rye&ginger

Pillows. Get a couple small firm ones. Sofa cusions work too as they can be really firm. Put them on the floor, and litterally stand on them. If your balance is already good it might be too easy and then you can look at some fitness products that are made for training balance. As you get better, stick handle a ball while you are on the balance trainer, juggle a ball, close your eyes etc.. distract yourself. Always be in the lineback squat position, knees bent head up.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:19 PM
shao01

Quote:
Yeah crossing over going backwards is one of the hardest skills to master in hockey in terms of skating imo so don't be too frustrated if you don't get it right away. Sometimes it took me several months before I made any significant progress.

How is your backward skating in general? There are tons of drills you can do to improve your backward skating in general which in turn may make the backward crossing easier for you.

shao01 is offline   Reply With Quote