HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Phoenix in trouble

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2009, 07:47 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
My guess is that alot of Phoenix's debt can be offset by the value of the franchise growing (like all NHL's franchises)

I mean, we've heard this about Buffalo, Nashville, Florida, Tampa, Ottawa and now Phoenix. How many of these teams have moved or folded?

Old
01-09-2009, 11:07 PM
HockeyAndTheSox
Let's Go Pens&Yotes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
I posted this on the Canucks' board, just kind of threw it out there to see what the response was:

To Phoenix

Sami Salo(two more years, $3.5M per year salary and cap hit)
pick/prospect(not sure on this)

To Vancouver

Ed Jovanovski(two more years, $6.5M per year cap hit, $6M salary)

I think this is the type of deal the NHL would like to see made, shed salary and still get back a capable NHL'er.

The Coyotes shed $2.5M in salary for the next two seasons, a total of $5M and get back a good, albeit oft injured, defenseman in return.

The Canucks get back JovoCop, who IMO, they missed more than most people expected. Since he's been gone the Canucks haven't really had anyone who can lead the rush or gain possession in the offensive zone. Jovo would provide that as well as give the Canucks so more toughness, grit and leadership, all good things heading into the post-season.

This would only work if both Salo and Jovo were to waive their NTC. I think Jovo would to return to Vancouver, Salo on the other hand, probably not.
PLEEEEEEEEEEASE Take JOVO!!!!!

Old
01-10-2009, 12:35 AM
Free Willy

jovonoski + mueller for whitney

Old
01-10-2009, 12:42 AM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Willy View Post
jovonoski + mueller for whitney
Dumping the ~3M is not even close to worth it.

Old
01-10-2009, 01:01 AM
bobg1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post

Anyone ever hear of the salary cap floor? You guys do know there is a lower limit, right?

By the way, just because the NHL is being made aware of any major financial decisions made by the club, even those relating to player movement, doesn't mean the NHL controls the Coyotes, nor does it mean the NHL is forcing them to trade players.

People should learn to read and comprehend.
Actually the NHL IS financing the Coyotes right now as reported by Team 1040.

Old
01-10-2009, 04:14 AM
HockeyAndTheSox
Let's Go Pens&Yotes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
My guess is that alot of Phoenix's debt can be offset by the value of the franchise growing (like all NHL's franchises)

I mean, we've heard this about Buffalo, Nashville, Florida, Tampa, Ottawa and now Phoenix. How many of these teams have moved or folded?

Old
01-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post

Don't forget the Pens.

Old
01-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Art.Vandelay
@kash2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobg1 View Post
Actually the NHL IS financing the Coyotes right now as reported by Team 1040.
The league is not financing the team. They Coyotes have received advance payments on their share of league revenue. This is money the team was already going to receive. They just got some of the money ahead of schedule.

This is the best article I have found that explains the facts and not a bunch of sensationalist bs.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/s...obeSports/home

Old
01-10-2009, 11:51 AM
chef223

Rumors are that Doan is on the block in Phoenix due to money issues. I can't see Shane being shopped , seeing as how Phoenix is pushing for a playoff spot right now. According to the one , who people love to blast on, the Rangers and Buffalo are the most interested in Shane. If Doan for some very strange reason is being shopped expect 27 other teams to be involved as well. Toronto would consider moving there first this year to land Doan.

Old
01-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Chea*

It's about time.

Old
01-10-2009, 12:29 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef223 View Post
Rumors are that Doan is on the block in Phoenix due to money issues. I can't see Shane being shopped , seeing as how Phoenix is pushing for a playoff spot right now. According to the one , who people love to blast on, the Rangers and Buffalo are the most interested in Shane. If Doan for some very strange reason is being shopped expect 27 other teams to be involved as well. Toronto would consider moving there first this year to land Doan.
This is how you can tell the "rumors" have crossed the border into absurd.

- Never mind Doan is the captain and face of the franchise.
- Never mind Doan is the team's leading scorer.
- Never mind Doan took a paycut to stay in Phoenix.
- Never mind Doan has a NMC and by all accounts loves living in Arizona where he's raising his four kids in his custom built dream house, including a horse ranch.

Old
01-10-2009, 12:48 PM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Quote:
It's Eklund.

When has Eklund ever been right?

Old
01-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Art.Vandelay
@kash2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
This is how you can tell the "rumors" have crossed the border into absurd.

- Never mind Doan is the captain and face of the franchise.
- Never mind Doan is the team's leading scorer.
- Never mind Doan took a paycut to stay in Phoenix.
- Never mind Doan has a NMC and by all accounts loves living in Arizona where he's raising his four kids in his custom built dream house, including a horse ranch.
Add to that the fact that there is a salary floor which the Coyotes are near. At best, they can shed a couple million in salary. If they are truly losing $30 per year, why would they trade the face of the franchise to save a couple million at the risk of losing fan base.

Old
01-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art.Vandelay View Post
Add to that the fact that there is a salary floor which the Coyotes are near. At best, they can shed a couple million in salary. If they are truly losing $30 per year, why would they trade the face of the franchise to save a couple million at the risk of losing fan base.
They're further above the floor than I think you believe. They could shed a salary like Doan's without taking anything back and still be above.

No, they aren't going to because they want to make the playoffs, but they could.

And PhoPhan, very good post but unfortunately you are trying to convince a lot of people on here that just don't use that thing above their shoulders very much.

Old
01-10-2009, 01:27 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

This thread is on probation now. It will be closed if people can't post in it within the confines of the rules.

1) If you want to talk market viability and financial situation, take it to the Business of Hockey board. There's threads about that over there. This is the trade rumors and free agent talk board. Discussion here should be about trades and free agency talk only.

2) If you want to flame and troll and scream "OMG America and some markets don't deserve teams, move them all to canada, Phoenix sucks!", don't. That's trolling. It will be dealt with, and now that I'm warning all of you with this post, it will be dealt with harshly.

Thank you

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
01-10-2009, 01:48 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
They're further above the floor than I think you believe. They could shed a salary like Doan's without taking anything back and still be above.
Current numbers have the team $5.5-$6.5mil above the floor. However it looks right now like $2.9-$3.3mil of the team's rookie bonus clauses won't be earned, putting the team on pace to be $2.2-$3.6mil over the floor when the final accounting is completed.

Old
01-10-2009, 02:15 PM
ducky

Quote:

IMO it is nothing more than Eklund taking a team that is in the news for financial reasons and grabbing a big name from that team. Voila, a "rumour".

Forget that Doan is the least likely player to be traded from Phoenix it would take an awful lot to get him. It would certainly take more than Toronto's first to land Doan.

Old
01-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Fugu

vCash:
There's little point to a thread like this in the Trade Rumors and Free Agent forum.

The financial side is already under discussion in the Business of Hockey forum.

Speculating on an entire team's roster is baseless since any dispersal due to financial concerns would not be done by the trade route. If there are reports on any individual player, a thread can be started on that topic alone. Ergo-- nothing to see here but an opportunity for trolling. Locked.

Closed Thread