HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How Wrong Were You?

View Poll Results: How Wrong Were You About the Jackets?
I was way wrong. This team is exceeding my expectations and I've eaten the crow. 3 3.95%
I didn't want to get hurt (again) so I doubted, but no more! 11 14.47%
I never left the bandwagon and knew this could happen. So there. 23 30.26%
I need more convincing. Let's see where we stand Jan 31st. 19 25.00%
I'm still bi-polar, but my Mason meds have kicked in and a trade pill will help. 14 18.42%
I still don't think they're as good as they appear to be. My prediction of doom will be vindicated. 2 2.63%
Other: (please explain) 4 5.26%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-10-2009, 06:38 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

vCash: 500
How Wrong Were You?

Time to 'fess up.
While we haven't 'won' anything yet, certainly this team has AT LEAST won back some of the Fan Respect it had lost. This polls ask you to be honest and self-effacing. Gloating will be severely condemned.

Note: HF-CBJ Board scientists are working on a device to cryogenicaly freeze this team at it's pre-Allstar Break level, then thaw them afterwards so that last year does not happen again. However, such a device is not to be used on the still needed "trade" budget.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 07:20 AM
Handyy

How wrong were we in what?

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 07:23 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyy View Post
How wrong were we in what?
Read the poll title...
or "in your expectations versus how the team has come together..."

...or whatever you want to confess you have been wrong about
(I was wrong about the whole Lohan and Britney thing, for example)

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 07:31 AM
Handyy

Allrighty. Well they are where I prior to the season expected them to be at the moment, but can't say one way or another until the season ends. Mason has been absolutely outstanding and he's currently the only reason why the Jackets is a .500 team.

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 07:38 AM
puckgoalnet

Everyone around me at the arena calls me the optimist. So yes, I have always been on the bandwagon and will stay there. The team has potential, still a little inconsistent for my tastes, but I'm still optimistic.

puckgoalnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 07:39 AM
CBJSlash

I never left the bandwagon and knew this could happen. So there.

I've maintained that we will be in contention at the trade deadline and instead of selling we will buy. I have seen nothing that would make me doubt this.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 08:12 AM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
To paraphrase the good book, a hot goalie covers a multitude of gaping holes.

What have I learned from this season? The Jackets are as inconsistent as ever and Steve Mason is freaking double-awesome.

And we should thank Doug MacLean for drafting him.

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 08:15 AM
chaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaking View Post
12-01-2008, 01:15 AM
An increase of 49 goals is a big increase. We also have to keep in mind that the team was new to each other to start the season and so in theory they will improve cohesiveness and possibly inch those stats up a bit higher. Although, I have a feeling as they get more comfortable with each other we will see gains on defense and only par on offense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaking View Post
12-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Second of all, this team being .500 at this point in the season is a lot better than last year's team being .500... why? One thing is the GAA as previously mentioned... we're doing pretty bad right now in that department. As everyone continues to gel, look for that to go down considerably... as was evidenced in recent games at Atlanta and home against Washington. Another thing is the cohesiveness of the team. We are a whole new team this year and it's a little naive to think we were going to come out on fire... This whole time I've actually hoped we would stay around at least .500 until January, at which time I expect them to up their play. It looks like they are already doing it though, and now they just need the finishing touch.
I stick by my statements

chaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 08:43 AM
BluejacketNut

My criticism has been of management and will continue if we dont make a move to strengthen the team. Mason is the reason we're still in it. Our defense is still intact (I dont include Rusty this year, because he's been vacant for most of it and I think the lineup doesnt change much with him healthy), its our offense thats been hit by injuries. 3 goals last night is an example of what a goalie keeping them in it can do. They got some good bounces but Mason was sharper then Theo. But it wasnt like they dominated the Caps....Mason did. I'd give the team more credit for last night if we didnt give up 45 shots! And not to mention we did get shut out in Detroit and stomped in St Lou.

Im afraid Mason playing lights out could hurt our chances of strengthening the offense and defense through trades. Management may decide, "well Mason is only giving up under 2 goal a game, we'll just keep the roster we have", which would be total BS.

And I wont give current management any credit for Mason considering he was a pick from DM, as was Brassard and Nash (our core) so I havent changed my displeasure with management for their lack of urgency to win now, which is where i've always been critical.

Im excited we finished 4-2 on this road trip, im the last that would have expected it...but the only reason we're still in this race is because of Mason. We dont have a talented team (overall), but at least now we have a shut down goalie finally! For the first time in CBJ history, I have total confidence that we wont be letting in a soft goal through out the game.....Mason's positioning and poise are so good, it needs to be a perfect setup, or shot, or as his past 6 games have shown, on the power play.

Last edited by BluejacketNut: 01-10-2009 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Voted Other, but guess Mason meds was probably better
BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 08:54 AM
CBJheadhunter

Bipolar...

Think I deserved to eat crow even after our showing in Detroit, allbeit a shutout against us, but the guys played with heart, before falling apart after the loss of Nash. After that outing I didn't even suggest an outcome for the Caps game being just to disheartened and sad to predict it. So, OK, Mason had an awesome game and the guys rallied with a lot of heart to pull out a surprising shutout. I'm convinced now that we don't lack the heart. I remain cautiously hopeful about the playoff race. There is a part of me that thinks we've got what it takes to go a long way and never jumped off the wagon, but d*** a sensible trade to help at Center will be a big boost.

CBJheadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 09:18 AM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Jumped on the bandwagon in January 2006 and haven't left. Put another way, they are who I thought they were with positive potential.

We're in the hunt. We're two points behind where we were last year, in the team's "best" season so far. A win tonight puts us in 8th, if only for a couple days. We're not out of this by any means. Barring a post-ASG meltdown like last year, I think we'll be in the hunt until the end.

The morale boosting part as a fan, despite injuries, is that this team looks confident WITHOUT Nash, Huselius, Chimmer, and Brassard. We beat one of the best in the East last night in their barn, a building in which they'd only lost once in regulation all season, with a depleted lineup. The credit for that mostly goes to #1, as he's the glue right now holding the team's confidence together.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Skraut

It was hard for me to pick. I didn't give up on the team, but I did for a time give up on the bi-polaristic groupthink on these boards. But I missed you all too much to stay away for long.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 10:06 AM
futurcorerock

Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
I like now nobody wants to eat crow

You guys are smug

futurcorerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 10:12 AM
CBJSlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
And we should thank Doug MacLean for drafting him.
After the first round picks, I don't think GMs typically push for much. They don't have the time to scout that much. Wammer was the one who pushed real hard for him.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurcorerock View Post

You guys are smug
As soon as someone can come along and show me a post where they said Steve Mason would have 14 wins before the end of January with 6 shutouts, I'll be willing to eat some crow. Deal?

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 10:37 AM
BluejacketNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurcorerock View Post

You guys are smug
Did we make the playoffs already?

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
I manned up and voted the first option. I doubted Hitch, and he's making me eat my crow. The guy can coach, and his performance the last couple weeks is Jack Adams worthy. I'm still doubting Howson's ability to put a playoff roster together. But the players and the coach are impressing me.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 12:06 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

I voted wait and see. I expected a team that had a chance at the All Star Break, much like last year.

I also expected Pazzy in goal, with Freddie backing him up and Mason with the Crunch this year AND next.

I expected Umberger to be centering Nash and Juice
I expected Brass to be playing...on the 3rd line and to still be playing.
I expected Voracek to be on the 4th line
I expected Tyutin to be much worse, Commodore to be worse as well.
I expected Backman to be better.

I didn't expect a team that could win some of the games they've won, or lose badly to friggin Phoenix....

I sure didn't expect to have 7 regulars out. I wouldn't have expected them to compete with Detroit and Washington with this lineup.

I'm waiting to see if they can hold it together after the ASB. I remember last year too well.

I am also more enthused about their future than I've been in a long, long time.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

I've never left the Howson or Hitch bandwagon. Howson is laying a solid foundation (slowly to be sure, but that's the only way it'll work). I also appreciate that H&H realize how important attitude and off-ice attributes can be to a team's culture. A STRONG identity is emerging on this team and skill is arriving, or at least on the way in the near future.

2 or 3 solid moves between now and September and this team will be ready for a long run of playoff years (with a good chance of starting that run this year).

Stej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
or lose badly to friggin Phoenix....
It just dawned on me that if we could reverse those Phoenix games, we'd be 9 games over ".500".

Stej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 12:27 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

This team needs to be in second place in the central when the playoffs start or they won't be in.... The path goes through the 'Hawks. Whomever said so (Robert?) will be vindicated.

I still say they fall short.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 12:28 PM
blahblah

Too early for this poll.

There's nothing to be wrong about.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
If we go in the tank, I'm blaming this thread.

01-10-2009, 12:43 PM
jacketsgeek
What's that sound?

I've always been 'on the wagon'. I firmly believe this team is more talented than the team that got us 80 points last year. We have suffered through a period of transition as a team with 40% new members. We're strugling through the worst bout of injuries we could imagine. But, what I really love right now is the attitude and confidence and grit with which these guys are playing.

Oh yeah...and Mase has been a godsend.

jacketsgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 12:48 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Too early for this poll.

There's nothing to be wrong about.
Perhaps so...

We were in much better shape at this point last season and looked what happened...

We can ill afford even less of a drop off now, cause we're still technically on the outside.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote