HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Can Kiprusoff set the NHL "Wins" record?

Old
01-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Puckinator

vCash: 500
Also, the 50 win projection is based on him playing 78 games...

Flames are gonna have to play McElhinney at some point.

Puckinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Walkingthroughforest
Johnny B. Goode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckinator View Post
Also, the 50 win projection is based on him playing 78 games...

Flames are gonna have to play McElhinney at some point.
Not if Keenan has his way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
No and I don't think it's possible for him to do it on Calgary. They aren't getting anywhere near 50 wins.
You do realize that the Flames are on pace for 50 wins right..?

Walkingthroughforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 10:21 PM
The Gaud Father

vCash: 50
People don't know Kiprusoff too much. Have you seen him play? Probably not. You guys just look at his stats and go "Oh, it's the team in front of him. That's why he has so many wins"

That is not the case. He has been a 92.0% save percentage and a 2.28 GAA ever since the Flames made a new system after getting embarassed by San Jose losing 6-1. Now talk. He's got wins and numbers and they will get better and better.

As for the topic, he can do it. But he won't because I don't think Keenan was going to want to play Kipper 78-80 games this year. With our tough 2nd half, McElhinney is going to play some of them.

The Gaud Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 10:27 PM
The Gaud Father

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
I was commenting on the part where OP said Kipper was doing pretty well. The save percentage says otherwise (he's not doing bad - just average). Team is scoring alot of goals. That's why Flames are winning - balanced scoring. # of wins for a goalie doesn't mean alot - Raycroft got close to 40 wins on the Leafs and he was utter garbage.
Kiprusoff is winning because he has made the right saves at the right time. We've won 13 one goal games this season. Kiprusoff was GREAT when it really mattered and when the team really needed him to hold the score.

What are you saying about Kiprusoff here? He's just an average goalie?

The Gaud Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 10:51 PM
CpatainCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
What a wasteland this board is.

The discussion is about Fifty wins.
The fact is, 50 wins, while it sounds impressive, just isn't what it used to be. Before the shootout, and before 4-on-4 overtime, an average of 10 to 15 games a year per team ended in ties. Now, every game results in a win.

Although saying that so far Kipper has 0 wins in the shootout

Last edited by CpatainCanuck: 01-09-2009 at 10:56 PM.
CpatainCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 11:32 PM
Iggy-4-50

If opposing coaches keep claiming "Kipper was great tonight" and he gets 50 wins I doubt it'll matter what his other stats are...he'll win.

As someone else mentioned, he seems to let off the gas and let in some softy's when the game is already won but until that point he's usually very unstoppable.(last 2 months at least)

Iggy-4-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Ronald Pagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckinator View Post
My point - Wins isn't the stat to be pointing to for Vezina consideration.

If he manages to hit 50, it will say a lot more about the Flames than it will the Kiprusoff.
I guarantee you that if Kipper gets 50 wins, he'll win the Vezina.

Ronald Pagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Pagan View Post
I guarantee you that if Kipper gets 50 wins, he'll win the Vezina.
I wouldn't go that far. First of all, the Flames aren't as good as their record indicates, imo. They will slow down from their 50 win pace as the season goes along. Secondly, even if Kiprusoff reaches 50 wins, there will be other goalies close to him record wise, Evgeni Nabokov, who have better numbers than Kiprusoff.

Nabby has a better shot at 50 wins than Kipper, imo. If both did, Nabby would probably win the Vezina.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 12:57 PM
RangersFan88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natediggity View Post
maybe but wins for a goalie is a dumb stat anyway

you go ahead and tell that to patrick roy

you better take that statement back

RangersFan88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 01:02 PM
AgentNaslund*

I hope he does actually break it. It be nice.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Humphrey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan88 View Post

you go ahead and tell that to patrick roy

you better take that statement back
how hard is it to figure out that "wins" is a team stat? if you can't understand this logic i feel sorry for you.

edit: last night Valiquette allowed 1 goal on 33 shots and lost in a shootout. Legace allowed 4 goals in 22 shots and his team won 6-4. which goalie played better? is it Valiquette's fault the Rangers couldn't score? should he have tried to play some forward too?

Humphrey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 02:09 PM
ALine9900

Quote:
how hard is it to figure out that "wins" is a team stat? if you can't understand this logic i feel sorry for you.

edit: last night Valiquette allowed 1 goal on 33 shots and lost in a shootout. Legace allowed 4 goals in 22 shots and his team won 6-4. which goalie played better? is it Valiquette's fault the Rangers couldn't score? should he have tried to play some forward too?
No, but if he didn't let the first goal in, the Rangers could have won 1-0.

ALine9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 02:30 PM
MisterTrep

I wish he break that record. he's my goalie in my Hockey Pool. he's been a differance maker for me this year.

MisterTrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Leperus Leprechuan

If Kipper breaks the record then he will have the record for best GAA and most wins in a season.

pretty impressive.

Leperus Leprechuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Caged Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I wouldn't go that far. First of all, the Flames aren't as good as their record indicates, imo. They will slow down from their 50 win pace as the season goes along. Secondly, even if Kiprusoff reaches 50 wins, there will be other goalies close to him record wise, Evgeni Nabokov, who have better numbers than Kiprusoff.

Nabby has a better shot at 50 wins than Kipper, imo. If both did, Nabby would probably win the Vezina.

Gee really. If two goalies have identical number of wins, the one with better stats will win. Amazing.

Anyway, you say the flames aren`t as good as our record.

The following players have played like crap for the large part of the season

Dion Phaneuf
Mike Cammalleri
Jarome Iginla
Todd Bertuzzi
Daymond Langkow

Bertuzzi was hot for the first 8-10 games and then again for about 3 games around christmas. Otherwise he`s been completely useless

Phaneuf hasn`t scored in 24 games and has completely forgotten how to play in both ends of the ice. Lazy and uninspiried play so far

Cammalleri is inconsistent. For example he had a 5 point game and on new years eve, and hasn`t really done much of anything for the past month

Langkow had lost his offensive talent for the first 30 games of the season, but has been good recently.

Iginla. He hasn`t tried at all. Gets knocked off the puck, and generally has been invisible. Yet he gets points. It`s weird

You might notice that those are the 5 best guys on the flames. If they actually pick up their play, the Flames could get even better.

Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 03:46 PM
BigT2002

Nabby will get it

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Danny__K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I wouldn't go that far. First of all, the Flames aren't as good as their record indicates, imo.
You'd think a sharks fan would have a little more respect after the beating the Flames handed them a few short days ago. I don't think many teams in the league could make the top team in the league look as bad as the flames did.

and no i don't think Kipper will win it @ 50 wins. Last year it was the Iggy and Phaneuf show keeping this team above water. This year it's the exact opposite. As Caged Great mentioned most of the Flames big name players have been under performing this year. Some of their point totals might not reflect it, but it's guys like Glencross, Moss and Bourque et al. who have this team where it is.

If the guys Caged Great mentioned pick up their play in the second half and Kipper continues to improve as the season progresses. The Flames will be one of the cup contenders come year end, the Flames don't even need to be buyers come deadline day, they have all the pieces they need. They just need some of the largers ones to get rolling.

Last edited by Danny__K: 01-10-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Danny__K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
It isn't perfect, but it's a far more accurate stat used to compare goalies than any other stat. Calgary's blueline doesn't strike me as the kind that gives up an abnormal amount of quality scoring chances against.
you must not have watched the Flames prior to their humiliation in San Jose.. they were giving up an obscene number of breakaways and 2 on 1... the forwards were not back checking at all... the defensemen were making horrible passes... 2 games really stand out... teh Sharks game and one against Chicago less than a week prior... in those 2 games the Flames were outscored 12-1... and in both games Kipper was named the Flames player of the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
With the way wins are handed out now-a-days the WIN isn't such a big deal. Broduer only broke that record thanks to no more ties...
except Kipper only has 1 win that was not in regulation

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Cephalusc

Gotta love the reversal in the last few seasons. Back then, people thought the Flames winning was because of Kipper (that was the typical Oiler fans favorite thing to say). Now, people are saying Kipper winning is a product of the Flames.

As for the guy who said Langkow hasn't been good... get a grip. He's been good all year long and lately is the hottest Flame. Bertuzzi has been good for the last ten or so games also, after his play dropped off for a while. Also, saying Iginla has been invisible is a big stretch... and a couple days ago Sutter has said he's fine with Phaneuf's play, and so am I. Theres definatly room for improvement, but its not as nearly bad as that poster made it out to be.

After a rocky start, the Flames defense has really come together. And, unlike in previous seasons, we have some actually scoring depth with Langkow, Iginla, Bertuzzi, Cammalleri, and Bourque on pace for over 60 points and Moss on pace for over 20 goals. Kipper's play has gotten better all season. For those of you saying its a long shot that Kipper sets the win record, you may be right, but I don't think its as unlikely as most think.

Cephalusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Noori

The Flames top players haven't been playing bad, it's just that you notice them less with production coming from everywhere.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Dions shoulder

But still, Phaneuf has only 3 goals, and Iggy is not even on pace for 40 goals. (not that I am complaining).

I think our top players just have less pressure and are not needed to carry the team. Iggy is the type of player that needs to be fired up in order to absolutely dominate, and that probably wont come until the playoffs if the team can keep winning. Dion is a complete enigma, although defensively he is getting better and he is on pace for a lot more assists than his career high.

Dions shoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

Quote:
maybe but wins for a goalie is a dumb stat anyway
lol. retarded post of the year.

GAA and SV% is just as much of a 'team stat' as wins.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 07:53 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
I doubt it. People break down after a while.

Last year at this time Lecavalier led the NHL in points and everyone thought he'd win the Art Ross, but finished 7th. Same thing with Hossa the year before.

I know comparing goalies and forwards isn't ideal, but the point is that people slow down.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 08:05 PM
hackey

Why does Keenan think starting and playing Kipper for 77-78 games is
a good thing?

He will be completely burnt out come playoff time or get injured
Broduer survives because he is in the East and hardly no travel

hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Wyrm

I may be biased but I think people aren't giving Kipper enough credit. I think he's making the Flames D look better than they are. He has his slow starts but otherwise he is a very solid goaltender. Also, being so good, I am afraid he is overplayed just like Phaneuf. Kipper could be much better in playoffs if he plays some fewer games during the regular season.

Wyrm is offline   Reply With Quote