HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Mid-Season Awards: Hart Memorial

View Poll Results: Hart trophy?
Getzlaf 3 1.07%
Kovalchuk 0 0%
Crosby 4 1.42%
Parise 24 8.54%
Ovechkin 136 48.40%
Savard 12 4.27%
Vanek 3 1.07%
M.Richards 3 1.07%
Iginla 7 2.49%
Malkin 54 19.22%
Datsyuk 9 3.20%
Kane 4 1.42%
Thornton 5 1.78%
Carter 8 2.85%
Other (write who) 9 3.20%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-11-2009, 08:35 AM
8BostonRocker24

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
why not?

the horrible play of the rest of the team doesn't make 1 player any less great.
The Hart Memorial Trophy is awarded annually to the "player adjudged most valuable to his team" in the National Hockey League. i.e. The MVP.

The NHL MVP should be able to get his team into the playoffs. Over half the teams in the NHL make the playoffs, The MVP should come from one of these teams.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 09:12 AM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
The Hart Memorial Trophy is awarded annually to the "player adjudged most valuable to his team" in the National Hockey League. i.e. The MVP.

The NHL MVP should be able to get his team into the playoffs. Over half the teams in the NHL make the playoffs, The MVP should come from one of these teams.
the hart is usually awarded for best player, not most valuable.

if it were given based on value to his team, the winner would almost always come from a mediocre team that is carried by one player, as happened long ago when it was awarded under the original standard. it would probably also be biased toward d-men and goalies, as it was long ago. the hart was also sometimes awarded to players who missed the playoffs, even to players from the worst teams.

i don't see any reason to believe the MVP should always be able to get his team into the playoffs.

if a team has the worst D and the worst goaltending, it is extremely unlikely to make the playoffs, no matter how good 1 of its forwards is.

last season ovechkin won the hart by a large margin. if his goalies had been terrible for the last 10 games of the season, he would have missed the playoffs. but that would have nothing to do with ovechkin's level of play.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 12:26 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
the hart is usually awarded for best player, not most valuable.

if it were given based on value to his team, the winner would almost always come from a mediocre team that is carried by one player, as happened long ago when it was awarded under the original standard. it would probably also be biased toward d-men and goalies, as it was long ago. the hart was also sometimes awarded to players who missed the playoffs, even to players from the worst teams.

i don't see any reason to believe the MVP should always be able to get his team into the playoffs.

if a team has the worst D and the worst goaltending, it is extremely unlikely to make the playoffs, no matter how good 1 of its forwards is.

last season ovechkin won the hart by a large margin. if his goalies had been terrible for the last 10 games of the season, he would have missed the playoffs. but that would have nothing to do with ovechkin's level of play.
And I complete disagree with that statement. There are 15 teams in the east and west; 8 of them make the playoffs. If you can't get your team into the playoffs, (much less win your division), you shouldn't be a Hart finalist.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Dgill

Why is Kovalchuk on this poll?

Dgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:13 PM
DanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
And I complete disagree with that statement. There are 15 teams in the east and west; 8 of them make the playoffs. If you can't get your team into the playoffs, (much less win your division), you shouldn't be a Hart finalist.
Exactly. you're not really that valuable to your team if you can't get them to the playoffs, which is the whole goal.

DanZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Novak Djokovic
HOSSA! HOSSA! HOSSA!

I don't really know how Ovechkin is winning it considering the support he has this year...[And I know Semin and Green missed some games....]

For me, It's Ryan Getzlaf. He's carrying the Ducks every night.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:03 AM
XParise9X

Send a message via AIM to XParise9X
I'd love to see Parise win it all things considered - he is consistant every night, a hard worker, fights for every puck - helped hold the team together with Brodeur down etc.
but realistically I think it will go to Malkin. Maybe because I dislike Ovi though

XParise9X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 02:59 PM
elicw10

chris mason

elicw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 11:40 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by elicw10 View Post
chris mason
You might want to wait before he becomes the full-time starter ahead of Manny Legace on a team that's dead last in their conference before giving him MVP consideration.

I'll go with Ovechkin.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 11:48 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Steve Mason if the Jackets make the playoffs. If not, probably Ovechkin.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 04:58 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Steve Mason if the Jackets make the playoffs. If not, probably Ovechkin.

Thank-you!!

I know there's Malkin and Ovechkin, but...

I'm also a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge fan of Zach Parise, but...

Major, huge KUDOS to Steve Mason and any Blue Jacket fan out there (great year for a Blue Jacket fan, and I took your "other" goalie in my hockey pool - I forget his name, now!! Quebecois I think!! - but/so I'm regretting it now...big time!! but still...kudos for Mason...looks amazing!! could be more than the "real thing!" unlike what some negative/bitter/jealous people are writing here about Mason...they're just jealous/angry/bitter &*£$%&*!!!!).

Go Steve Mason Go!!!!!!!

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 01-18-2009 at 05:32 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 05:12 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisToLeafsNation View Post
Ovechkin. Malkin might win it, but there's another forward on his own team that is capable of sharing the offensive load. Ovechkin carried his team through a ton of injuries.
If we are actually talking about sharing loads, then perhaps... perhaps... we could talk a little bit about:

Ovechkin - Backström - Semin

...or we could look at the fact that Caps has the most balanced scoring the league, what with having more players than any other team in double figures as far as scoring goals go. A nice depth to have when Semin gets on IR a few times a season.

For the large majority of the time this season, Malkin's linemates have been Sykora and Fedotenko. We agree that this is not quite the same as the Cap's guys. Right? OK? No matter who replaced Semin... if it is Kozlov or Fleischmann or whatever... well, I'd be happy with that compared to who goes on Malkin's line whenever we have our injuries.

No disrespect from me to A.O. He is awesome and obviously a contender for this. But Malkin absolutely has to be the front runner at present. Crosby or no Crosby.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 05:21 AM

Iggy and its not even close IMO.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 05:24 AM
Evilo

vCash: 632
Mason right now.
Then Ovechkin and Malkin behind. If Pittsburgh makes the playoffs, then Malkin might be ahead of AO. If not, then Ovechkin without a doubt.

Evilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 05:35 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
Mason right now.
Then Ovechkin and Malkin behind. If Pittsburgh makes the playoffs, then Malkin might be ahead of AO. If not, then Ovechkin without a doubt.

Mason (if he continues...who says he can't?).

IF Pitts makes it to season II (the "real" season), and/but...what if Steve Mason and his Blue Jackets make it to the playoffs, as well???

If that happens or if he continues with his incredible stats (playoffs/no playoffs), then for me it's...Stevie Mason.

Old
01-18-2009, 05:39 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Call me stupid, but Tim Thomas would get my vote.

Strik_IX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 06:00 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
Call me stupid, but Tim Thomas would get my vote.
Not at all...you're making sure we doin't forget about T.T. (at least for me, don't know about anyone else?!!).

And/but...what about Emmanuel/Manny Fernandez??? (they are pretty darn good, as well...that entire team this year is hot, hot, hot, no? not just they're 1 or 2 goalies..., IMO). And I totally respect Tim Thomas, BIG time!!...Thomas is a solid goalie (I'd take Rask though!! but that's another topic!! I'm just a huge Rask fan, right after Price and maybe now...Mason!!).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 01-18-2009 at 06:06 AM.
Old
01-18-2009, 02:49 PM
re5piration
'67 til

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAINIAC View Post
Wow kinda surprised that OVy's winning this. Woulda thought Malkin would be in the lead. Those two are 1-2 imo.
Goals > Secondary Assists.

re5piration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

Ovechkin
Malkin too far down in the standings for my liking.

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 05:40 PM
Randall Graves*

I have it

Ovechkin
Thornton
Getzlaf
Malkin
Datsyuk

Reasoning

Ovechkin seems like the obvious choice for me, he's going to have close to 60 goals again, Caps will be a top 3 seed.

Getzlaf because he has to carry his team offensively, on pace for almost 100 points but if they miss the playoffs he drops.

Malkin has the stats but a team with Malkin and Crosby should not be tied for 8th. If they move up, I'll bump him up.

Thornton, best player on the best team he's kind of flying under the radar but he'll be there.

Datsyuk is maybe the best two way forward in the league, he's been Detroits best player so he's their rep for me

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Xspyrit

Zedno Chara.

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 11:11 AM
El Maestro

Mason gets my vote, the Blue Jackets would be nowhere without him.

El Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 11:17 AM
Luigi Lemieux

malkin has a double digit point lead at the all star break. that's a significant margin and there's a bigger gap between 1 and 2 than any other position. if the pens make the playoffs and malkin keeps it up, the award is his no doubt about it.

Luigi Lemieux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 10:07 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Ovechkin. I'll he my socks if he doesn't.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 11:18 PM
nvan97

Holy East Coast Bias. 14 options and only five from the western conference. Vanek, Kovalchuk, Malkin and Crosby don't belong on the list. A prerequisite has to be making the playoffs at a minimum. Vanek isn't in the top 25 in points on a team that is currently in 7th. Ovechkin has been great so my vote goes for him but Chara would be close behind. And Shane Doan deserves some recognition. Phoenix is a mediocre team that is in 5th because of him and only him.

nvan97 is offline   Reply With Quote